The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys and Scarlets tracking rising Canadian back-row star O’Toole after Churchill honour

+3
Imperialbigdave
Impossible Standards
pioden gorllewin
7 posters

Go down

Ospreys and Scarlets tracking rising Canadian back-row star O’Toole after Churchill honour Empty Ospreys and Scarlets tracking rising Canadian back-row star O’Toole after Churchill honour

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:55 am

HE has been dubbed the best ‘amateur player’ in the world but will be a relative unknown in Wales.
Chauncey O’Toole is a Canadian and was named Player of the Tournament in the recent Churchill Cup in England.
But the 25-year-old, who plays amateur rugby in Canada, has caught the attention of the Scarlets and the Ospreys.
The flanker, who is expected to be a key part in the Canucks’ World Cup side in New Zealand, walked away with the Churchill Cup’s Player of the Tournament award last month.
O’Toole’s achievement shouldn’t be sniffed when you consider Leicester Tigers No 8 Jordan Crane was the Saxons skipper and Clermont lock and former Scarlet, Jamie Cudmore, was in the Canada side.
The England side also included the likes of Harlequins full-back Mike Brown, Tigers centre Billy Twelvetrees and Saracens prop Matt Stevens.
O’Toole was part of the Canada side which suffered a 37-6 loss to the Saxons but he still outshone the host of professionals on show.
His performances were enough to catch the eye of the Scarlets and the Ospreys who have both shown an interest in bringing him to Wales.
The openside flanker, who is an athletic ball-carrier, was named man of the match in Canada’s games against Italy A and Russia due to a series of impressive all-action displays.
O’Toole, who had a stint on a short-term contract with Glasgow in 2010, has already made it clear he wants to play for Canada in New Zealand 2011.
He was named by coach Kieran Crowley in Canada’s 50-man World Cup training squad at the end of June.
But the Scarlets and the Ospreys could have a fight on their hands to secure O’Toole with rugby’s showpiece tournament the perfect shop window to expose his talents.
European clubs, despite the season’s having already being underway, are all expected to be looking for new talent at rugby’s showpiece tournament.
Canada are in the same Pool A as host New Zealand, France, Tonga and Japan. O’Toole plays for Atlantic Rock in Canada but spent time with RGC 1404, a Canada-Wales rugby initiative.
The 10-times capped Canadian international, who made his debut against Ireland in Vancouver in 2009, but is a relative latecomer to rugby.
He played rugby as a schoolboy but only returned to the game after a spell in professional ice hockey in Canada, playing for the Miramichi Timberwolves in the Maritime Junior A hockey league.
O’Toole has also represented Canada on the IRB Sevens World Series circuit. But if O’Toole is tempted to play in Wales, he will join a list of Canadians who have made their name here.
Rod Snow, Gareth Rees, John Tait and Dan Baugh are just a few of the Canadians who established themselves in this part of the world.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Ospreys and Scarlets tracking rising Canadian back-row star O’Toole after Churchill honour Empty Re: Ospreys and Scarlets tracking rising Canadian back-row star O’Toole after Churchill honour

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:07 am

Story in wales online this morning (so probably untrue!)

Can't see either the scarlets or ospreys being interested in him to be truthful. Think there are better welsh options within both regions already.

What did glasgow fans make of him during his stay there? Is he really the best "amateur player" around at the moment?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Ospreys and Scarlets tracking rising Canadian back-row star O’Toole after Churchill honour Empty Re: Ospreys and Scarlets tracking rising Canadian back-row star O’Toole after Churchill honour

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:43 am

If he was that good why didn't Glasgow keep him?
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm

because he was pish for glasgow
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:14 pm

total rubbish, as if any welsh region would waste an nwq on a guy who is at the world cup and simply isn't that good

ignore the wm it is garbage

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

If Justin Tipuric goes to the World Cup with Wales then the Ospreys may well go for him, but otherwise I'd think not.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:04 pm

this guy is also going to the world cup AD we need cover during the world cup . I'd stake anything we don;t go for him and if i'm wrong please feel free to quote me on this.

shame we didnlt sign that siggery from the under 20's he looks a prospect.

As for the turks with turnbull muccusker pugh edwards and that young kid cudd , would they even look at this guy?

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:11 pm

jb1973 wrote:this guy is also going to the world cup AD we need cover during the world cup . I'd stake anything we don;t go for him and if i'm wrong please feel free to quote me on this.

Your correct of course, I overlooked something so blindingly obvious! 🤦
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:29 pm

we need a 7 though mate, maybe they are waiting to see who does/doesn't make the world cup squads?

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:32 pm

Yes with Ben Lewis retiring from injury and Steve Tandy coaching Bridgend now we're a bit short for an openside! Especially if Tipuric goes to the World Cup!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

JB - I have a feeling as soon as we hear who is going to the RWC and who is not then we will be able to start to hear more about signings of players for all the regions, as I believe we are all (bar the Dragons) looking at losing a 1st and 2nd choice player in one or two positions.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

Think bearman has had some game time at openside for the dragons if I remember rightly, so probably can cover there in emergencies. However as jb has mentioned, another 7 is a priority for the ospreys. It also looks likely Jon Thomas will now be around during the world cup to add experience to the backrow. So during the WC the ospreys backrow does look reasonably strong:

6) Bearman/Smith
7) Tipruric/ A N Other
8) J Thomas/Allen

From the Scarlets point of view, Nigel Short our chief executive has already come out this week to say that our long term plan is is developing our own home grown players rather than short term success of bringing in overseas players ( a policy I believe most scarlets are happy with ) He gave the footballing example of Barcelona having 8 home grow players in their starting line up at this years champions league final.

The backrow is one area we really don't need to strengthen at the moment.

6) Turnbull,McCusker,Shingler
7)Edwards, Pugh, Cudd
8)Morgan

I just hope we start playing Cudd over Pugh this season, as I really don't rate Pugh.

I'd imagine most signings this summer by the 4 welsh regions, will be short term contracts to cover the world cup and will be annonced after each nation have finalised their squads. I doubt we'll see any marquee signings by the 4 regions for a while.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

the only problem in the scarlet backrow is if morgan gets injured , on the flanks you more than well covered although I'd guess turnbull and mccusker can cover 8?.

we are desperate for a 7 and for back 3 cover during the world cup. I'd expect some new players in soon.

I know we have had some under 19 italians at the region but think they are here for experience only

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:23 pm

See how he does in the WC then consider a move for him. Also he has one of the most ridiculous names ever.(besides Harper Seven Bekcham of course)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down