The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pieter de Villiers, Man of Mystery?

4 posters

Go down

Pieter de Villiers, Man of Mystery? Empty Pieter de Villiers, Man of Mystery?

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:14 am

Over the past 3 years PDV has drawn quite a bit of controversy. It all started with his appointment as Springbok coach under the cloud of suspicion that he wasn’t appointed for rugby reasons only.

This is what Oregan Hoskins the then President of SARU had to say about his appointment.
“"We have made the appointment and taken into account the issue of transformation when we made it. I don't think that tarnishes Peter; I'm just being honest with our country."

Amidst many controversial statements made by the Springbok coach, he has also had some successes.

He was the one that flew all the way to France to recall John Smit back to the Springbok squad and remain his captain. He also decided not to make whole sale changes to the team. This was something most Springbok supporters feared, as they saw the new “transformational” coach as someone who would willy nilly “transform” rugby without any regard for merit or quality of players.

To his credit he has not done that in any way whatsoever, and has ensured that the Springbok jersey is still something that needs to be earned.

During his tenure in 2008 he had a win rate of 69% winning 9 out of 13 test matches.

He followed that up with a slightly worse record of 66% in 2009, winning 8 out of 12 test matches. What is important though was that he successfully beat the British and Irish Lions, and won the Tri Nations, including a 3-0 beating of the All Blacks, something that hasn’t been done by anyone for a very, very long time. The end of year tour was a step too far, and fatigue and injury had taken it’s toll and the springboks had a torrid time in Europe.

Then in 2010, his record took a beating when the Springboks managed to win only 8 out of 14 tests, including a reversal of the 2009 Tri Nations by collecting the wooden spoon and losing 3-0 to New Zealand. The general thinking during the season was that SA struggled to adapt to the new laws and their players were not fit enough. The other side of the coin was that many of these players lacked motivation and were nearing the end of their careers.

His current record shows 25 wins out of 39 tests at a 64% win record. Looking at that he has been no worse than most South African coaches.

So what did he do wrong?

Perhaps what Oregan Hoskins said publically at PDV’s appointment, did more harm than good. PDV has been defensive about any criticism and there for very little of the Bok thinking is known outside of the changing rooms.

He perhaps hung on too long with certain players, such as Bakkies Botha, Victor Matfield and John Smit. But can we really blame him for that? Bakkies Botha and Victor Matfield has been the best line out pairing in world rugby for quite some time, and in John Smit he had the most enigmatic leader in SA rugby since Francois Pienaar in 1995.

The loss of form in Bryan Habana, the injuries to Fourie du Preez was not his fault surely. What he could be blamed for however was the positional experiments with John Smit. In my humble opinion this has Ruined John’s ability as captain. Surely his confidence levels must have taken a knock.

PDV has also blooded some new talent during the past three years, players like Patrick Lambie, Juan du Jongh, Bjorn Basson and Gio Aplon are players who look promising but also has the skills to bring a new dimension of unpredictability to Springbok rugby.

So what are our issues with Peter de Villiers?

Well, we do not know what is going on behind closed doors, we have seen much unhappiness and controversy amongst PDV and his assistant coaches, we have seen the resistance to change. So perhaps we have the right to be concerned about our beloved springboks.

There is one benefit to all of this, PDV has managed to beat New Zealand twice in New Zealand, he has managed to beat New Zealand 3-0 in a Tri Nations, he beat the British and Irish Lions, and he also got back some street “cred” by beating Ireland in Ireland, something his predecessor didn’t.

And most of all his absolute unpredictability is perhaps our biggest weapon going into this RWC. Yes he may tarnish his record by losing 4 tests during this Tri Nations, and be criticised for leaving behind his first choice team ( injured or not), but if we as South Africans do not have a clue what is going on behind closed doors, how does any other international coach know what’s coming.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Pieter de Villiers, Man of Mystery? Empty Re: Pieter de Villiers, Man of Mystery?

Post by Taylorman Tue 12 Jul 2011, 8:42 am

Perhaps the surprise factor is hidden under there somewhere but how much of his success is mostly to do with... well....doing nothing but stay with the tried and true from 2007, and the same gameplan both almost obsessively. The reward comes from those reflecting that loyalty with pure grit and deternination and not a lot else.
But those stats show a trend. The same players are returning less every year when its clear others are getting stronger. Particularly oz.
What happens if he loses the 3N terribly and jars the SA confidence to the bone... A real possibility if there really is nothing much behind those doors.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Pieter de Villiers, Man of Mystery? Empty Re: Pieter de Villiers, Man of Mystery?

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:04 am

That is what worries me. He is doing exactly what Jake White did. Hoping that putting his eggs in one basket it will return him a gold medal.

As you say what if it doesn't happen.

Let's say he wins only 1 Tri Nation match, wins his pool games at the RWC, but then loses to Ireland in the quarters then his return would be 5 wins out of 9 tests and no medal.

But, and this is a big but. He wins his two home games in the tri Nations, loses to the all Blacks in the semi, his return would be 7 wins out of 10 matches. Would anyone criticise him?

Lo and behold he wins the RWC.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:19 am

Hi,Biltong I am an old man I remember a time when SA rugby meant All White Mainly Afrikaans speaking players,When there was talk of a "BroderBonde" secret society and if you were`nt a member you did`nt play.
When Danie Craven SA`s MR.Rugby stated No-Non white will ever play for SA.When HART and CARE stopped NZ tours because of apartheid until finally
SA dropped out in 1982.
When apartheid was finally eschewed,Nelson Mandela became President,the Boks came back in 1992 and won a RWC for the first time in 1995.Then when a token Non -white was played Chester Watson.
I can also remember when Bryan Williams and others in 1970 were named honoury-whites so they could tour SA in 1970.
This is all background I abhor,Sports being either a propaganda tool to prove racial or ideological supremacy but was a fact of life during most of my life or religous for that matter.
The facts speak for themselves SA was the best team in World Rugby until 1956,after that Home advantage decided whether it was NZ or SA.
The Boks won the RWC under Jake White who created a precedent by playing weaksides in the preceding 3Ns.
Pieter De Villiers was the first Non -White Bok coach,there were rumours at the time it was a political appointment.
Also that there was a policy of a Non white quota scheme for players,Speaking for myself I don`t care what religon,political faith ,or colour of a persons skin is he plays.
PDV has a track record no worse than most Pro era Bok coaches,his sides have been competetive and won more than they`ve lost.
When he was unsuccessful it was "That Clown PDV lost it for us" whenhe was successful it was "Well the Players did it" much like was said about Martin Johnson was the real coach of THAT England side not Sir Clive.
As a personal comment degrading the Lions tour by not allowing the Bok team to play in the provincial matches.then beating an injury battered side stunk.
Also I think he made a mistake recalling NH based players in 2008 for 3Ns,they were well off the pace.NZ losing 2o odd players post RWC really should`nt have had a chance of the 3N title.
Injuries to key players for both NZ and SA coloured the 2009/10 3Ns results.
PDV is now at the point where his side is at the stage of needing rebuilding post RWC.his contract probably depends on the result.
Smit is a great Captain but frankly has`nt been worth his place as a player for a couple of seasons.But he won`t be the first to keep his place when a better player rides the pine.
In truth PDV has a pretty respectable record for any one else but a Bok or all black coach the media would be ecstatic.
The 3Ns squad may actuall ybe better than the established side,after it you will all know. The RWC has always been good for the Boks and may well prove so this time.
PDV may well be vindicated,certainly I do not think he is as bad as he has been painted.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:43 am

Alan, the past is something my generation of "white man" has to live with every day. Our generations before us created an era none of us are proud of.

It is more important for me that the springboks must be the best rugby Union in the world, losing as often as we do does not sit well with me.

We face many more challenges than just Political interference. Our rugby is managed on the basis of what is good for the individuals career, nepotism, corporate politics, rather than what is best for SA rugby.

In truth I want nothing to do with any of that part of rugby. I just want to see the best coaches coach the best players and have SA rugby forward thinking and leading the race, not play second fiddle to the All BLacks like it has done for the past 16 years.

Our record against all opposition is much poorer than what it was prior to isolation.

So I really don't care how they do it, or who will do it, but it is now time to get the pride back in SA rugby, and become the best yet again.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

Good points and ive every respect for the way pdv has taken on the role. Perhaps weve moved on a bit and hes now being judged completely on merit which has gotta be good.
Still think the 3n are evenly poised in that oz had the wider distribution. Reds at one end and rebels at the other. Sa and nz were stronger through the middle of the table i thought and all 3 have a lot of talent coming through so i think after this year sa and nz will have a cleanout of players and coaches with oz building on what they have.
Just a matter of who rips the cup off before the cleanout.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

There are so many parties, beliefs, organisations and peoples involved in SA rugby it can't be good for it. I don't know how to deal with those probelms or how to clear out and organise the union better but as to PDV.

Well aside from silly comments and being incredibly nieve about the press his biggest failing has been a failure to change with the changing game and when his fans are screaming out for it much like Englands MJ he seems very stubborn about changing old experienced players for exciting youngsters and the only way a lot of them get a go is through injuries.

Lastly two points-

1.I think SA fans have a lot to look forward to post WC.
2. It looks like a lot of people are hedging every thing on FDP, they say the reason last seasons team was so poor is because he wasn't there and now he's back the Boks will be a lot better. Personally i don't buy it. He like a lot of older Boks is a shadow of the player he was.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:02 am

yappysnap wrote:1.I think SA fans have a lot to look forward to post WC.
2. It looks like a lot of people are hedging every thing on FDP, they say the reason last seasons team was so poor is because he wasn't there and now he's back the Boks will be a lot better. Personally i don't buy it. He like a lot of older Boks is a shadow of the player he was.

As far as fourie du Preez goes, I fully agree with you. This season he was forever complaining to the referee, standing like a meerkat with his hands in the air, and his execution has not been great. Francois Hougaard, Sarel Pretorius and Dewlad duvenhage can bring much to the party.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 12 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

Agree Biltong, i've only seen Hougard and Pretorious play but they both look very good. Do you with du Preez will be the starting 9 for the Tri nations?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

Biltong I totally agree with you sport should be above politics,you are as proud of the Boks as I am the All Blacks the only two teams by the record who really matter.
Played 81 won 45 [18]drawn 2 lost 33[20] 55.6% win rate that is the All Blacks record vrsus the Boks. The first 7 tests 1921-8,was 3 each one drawn.The period 1937-49 when the All Blacks were forced to abandon the 2-3-2 scrum in favour of the 3-4-1 without understanding the mechanics.
From about 1933 and was instumental in the losses to Wales ,England and Boks in successive series.1937-49 the Boks won 6 out of 7.
The scrum was fixed by the direct intervention of Danie Craven a wonderful sporting act.
From the period 1956-95 the gap closed to 18-20 to the Boks,the All Blacks gaining rapidly.
In the period 1996- to date 45 matches have been played,and the All Blacks won 4 out of 5 in 1996 3 in SA not many do that,the point after 1993
traditional tours ceased between the two countries to be replaced by the 3Ns.
The reason why SA and Australia trail behind the All Blacks is there inability to win NZ only 8 out of 33.Australia have won 40 times out of a 120 odd but only 15 in NZ.
Indeed NZ who have something like a 40% win record against the Boks in SA it was 10 years when SA won a match versus them in Cape Town.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:15 am

yappysnap wrote:Agree Biltong, i've only seen Hougard and Pretorious play but they both look very good. Do you with du Preez will be the starting 9 for the Tri nations?

I would expect him to start the home tests. Obviously if he is fit.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down