The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wages could hamper Jason Scotland's Swansea return

2 posters

Go down

Wages could hamper Jason Scotland's Swansea return  Empty Wages could hamper Jason Scotland's Swansea return

Post by Adam D Tue 15 Feb 2011, 12:10 pm

Swansea City manager Brendan Rodgers says Jason Scotland's wages could be a stumbling block over his potential return to the club.

Rodgers confirmed contact had been made with Ipswich Town over a loan deal for their seven-goal top scorer.

Scotland scored 53 goals in two seasons for Swansea before making a club record £2m move to Wigan in 2009 where he spent a year before joining Ipswich.

"We're going to have to look at the deal," Rodgers told BBC Sport Wales.

"He left here to go on to Premier League wages, and he left Wigan to go to Ipswich on a big salary as well which is way beyond what we pay here.

"So if there's a deal that can be done, it's something we'll definitely try to do and look at, but if not, that's where it will end."

New Ipswich boss Paul Jewell hinted the two clubs are not close to reaching an agreement over a loan deal until the end of the season.

"I've spoken to Brendan Rodgers and spoken to [Swansea chairman] Huw Jenkins and I don't really want Jason to go," Jewell told BBC Radio Suffolk.

"The only reason I'll let him go is if the deal's right for him and he definitely doesn't want to be here.

"He has indicated to me that he would like to go to Swansea and if Swansea are prepared to pay his wages and do the deal, then we'll listen to it.

"We're not going to let Jason go somewhere who are near the top of the league trying to get into the Premier League that won't be paying his wages. That isn't going to happen."

Scotland joined Swansea in May 2007 from St Johnstone after paying a nominal fee and the striker scored 29 goals in his first season as the Welsh club won the League One title.

And he continued his fine goal-scoring rate in the Championship, bagging another 24 goals before following then-manager Roberto Martinez to Wigan.

But he found the step up difficult and his year at the Latics saw him find the net just once in 32 Premier League appearances.

Last summer, Scotland moved to Portman Road for an undisclosed fee but manager Roy Keane departed last month and was replaced by Paul Jewell who has played Scotland just three times as a substitute.

source - bbc website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/9392722.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Wages could hamper Jason Scotland's Swansea return  Empty Re: Wages could hamper Jason Scotland's Swansea return

Post by Swanseadabber Tue 15 Feb 2011, 9:21 pm

Nobody could argue that Jase scored plenty goals in his time at the Liberty, and for the money the club paid for him & received for him it was a great piece of business however I cant see Hugh Jenkins breaking the bank for him & Ipswich will not do a Man City a la Bellamy and finance part of his wages to turn out for a rival side
Swanseadabber
Swanseadabber

Back to top Go down