The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallabies lose Ben Robinson for the Season

+5
Coleman
OzT
pete (buachaill on eirne)
HammerofThunor
boomeranga
9 posters

Go down

Wallabies lose Ben Robinson for the Season Empty Wallabies lose Ben Robinson for the Season

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:20 am

ACL ligament in the knee while training for this weekend test.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/wallabies-lose-benn-robinson-for-world-cup-20110713-1hdhi.html

Bug her.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Wallabies lose Ben Robinson for the Season Empty Re: Wallabies lose Ben Robinson for the Season

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:30 am

Well that sucks. Ireland's chanced just improved but I doubt anyone what's it done that way. Class player

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Wallabies lose Ben Robinson for the Season Empty Re: Wallabies lose Ben Robinson for the Season

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:00 am

I think you may be right Thunor. He was locked in for one starting spot, with the other up for grabs. Two spots out of Slipper, Alexander and Kepu now. Ma'afu just can't be allowed to play.

The goods news for all those Al 'the fuse' Baxter fans over in Europe (I know there are many) is that he has been called into the squad. No mention yet of Matt Dunning, but I will keep everyone posted.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:42 am

Would Robinson have been considered one of the Aussie's best scrummagers Boomer?

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 am

Well that's a oh dear, time now for those tough ole outback boys to come to the fore, you know, the ones dingo has hidden away from the world press that's going to set the world alight with wallabies scrummaging....

Tough news for the bloke!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 am

Man, they need to get Rodzilla in the team...

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 am

Is Alexander considered to be far superior than the likes of Slipper, Kepu etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 am

For sure Pete. It's always tough to tell who actually knows what they are talking about with scrums, but why I would answer yes is the Waratahs scrum which he leads has been our best for a few years and competitive with most, if not all of the other S15 sides. It was also with his maturing that the Wallaby scrum improved for a season and a half, before imploding again last year when he plus Moore and Alexander were out.

While not suggesting he is anything he's not, in combination with TPN or Moore, I thought we at least had a chance at scrum time. It was be very much wait and see now.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am

although brilliant news in terms of our battle in the scrum against them at the world cup, it is very sad to see he will miss out. He missed out in 2007 as well. but he is 26 and will have another chance.

Great player and hope he is back on the mend soon. 9 months out by the looks of it. By the time he is back the Super 15 will be just over. he may well end up on a short term deal in the UK or Ireland to get him ready again for the start of the 2013 Super 15 season
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Is Alexander considered to be far superior than the likes of Slipper, Kepu etc?

No, not any more. There is a pretty decent chance they will switch Slipper to the other side and parter him with Kepu. If Ben A found some form though, it would be a real bonus as he could replace Robbo.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20 am

Coleman wrote:Man, they need to get Rodzilla in the team...

Is he actually any good, or just massive?

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20 am

Rodzilla played here too long now and was not considered back then I doubt if he'll be called up this time. Does he even still play that well? Not heard much of him in the club news.

Time to ressurect the Dunnings fan club in Facebook and dust him off for another RWC!!

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 am

boomeranga wrote:
Coleman wrote:Man, they need to get Rodzilla in the team...

Is he actually any good, or just massive?

Him and Somerville have done well in the tight this season i though. He is massive for sure, and i dont think he would have 80 mins of fitness in him. But he'd do a job off the bench or wear out his his opposite number for 40/50 mins. I'd take him just to anchor the scrum, which could be the deciding factor when they play Ire as Healy is geting better all the time in the tight.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

mickyt wrote:although brilliant news in terms of our battle in the scrum against them at the world cup, it is very sad to see he will miss out. He missed out in 2007 as well. but he is 26 and will have another

It's a funny thing news like this isn't it. You wish no harm on any player, but there is an undeniable upside as the fan of an opposition team when a significant player will miss the big show.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 am

Bad news for Aus, felt that Robinson was the man to lock their scrum, and at least give them parity in that area with the top teams. Fortunately for the player, he's young enough to make another world cup OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:35 am

OzT wrote:Rodzilla played here too long now and was not considered back then I doubt if he'll be called up this time. Does he even still play that well? Not heard much of him in the club news.

Time to ressurect the Dunnings fan club in Facebook and dust him off for another RWC!!

Smile

Drop goals win world cups after all.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 am

boomeranga wrote:
mickyt wrote:although brilliant news in terms of our battle in the scrum against them at the world cup, it is very sad to see he will miss out. He missed out in 2007 as well. but he is 26 and will have another

It's a funny thing news like this isn't it. You wish no harm on any player, but there is an undeniable upside as the fan of an opposition team when a significant player will miss the big show.

Yeh exactly. ideal world you would want them not there but no ill harm caused. So it definitely is bitter sweet.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 am

Rather than start a new thread, Wallabies to face Samoa this weekend. Note we name the team backwards here hoping your scared before you get to the forwards:

Mark Gerrard - first test since 2007
James O'Connor,
Adam Ashley-Cooper,
Pat McCabe - debutant
Dig by Ioane,
Matt Giteau,
Nick Phipps - debutant, first from the Rebels
Ben McCalman,
Matt Hodgson,
Rocky Elsom (capt) - second game of the year
Nathan Sharpe,
Sitaleki Timani. - Tongan poach, but massive so what do you do
Ben Alexander,
Stephen Moore,
Sekope Kepu.

Reserves:
James Hanson - debutant, Not for this year, but I think our next generation hooker
TBA - was to be Kepu prior to Robbo's knee
Dan Vickerman - first test since 2007
Scott Higginbotham,
Beau Robinson - debutant
Will Genia,
Kurtley Beale.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:18 am

Really interested to see how McCabe fits in that backline, could be a bolter for the RWC?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 am

Same. I really like him, and think with Genia, Cooper, Beale, and Beiber in the side, we don't need another playmaker at 12. He's a chance for the squad I think.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:40 am

10/12/13 from the Brumbies - they hardly set the world on fire as a backline this year did they? 🤦

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:54 am

I didn't notice that Rob, but it a fair point as they were terrible all year. I think each of them is at a different position though.

10 - time to justify he is worth it
12 - time to see if he is ready
13 - deserves faith being shown in him. From 07 until last year, he was our best back by a mile in my opinion.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Interesting starting line up that for Australia. I wonder will Deans try to bring them slowly back to the style of rugby they were playing last year or will he try get them playing hell for leather immediately.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down