The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike Advice?

3 posters

Go down

Bike Advice?  Empty Bike Advice?

Post by Scott is Back Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:09 am

Morning Guys,
Im looking for a little advice, after filling up my car at the cost of £104.93 this morning, i feel the time has come to bite the bullet and cycle to work. Im not in the best of shape, but not the worst. I work about 5 Miles away from home, and its a relativly flat journey. As you will have a lot more knowledge about bikes, would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction of a decent cheap bike, and what kind of bike would you recommend ie. Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Hybrid etc?

Appreciate the help

Scott

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Bike Advice?  Empty Re: Bike Advice?

Post by Beer Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:08 am

Scott is Back wrote:Morning Guys,
Im looking for a little advice, after filling up my car at the cost of £104.93 this morning, i feel the time has come to bite the bullet and cycle to work. Im not in the best of shape, but not the worst. I work about 5 Miles away from home, and its a relativly flat journey. As you will have a lot more knowledge about bikes, would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction of a decent cheap bike, and what kind of bike would you recommend ie. Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Hybrid etc?

Appreciate the help

Scott

BMX!!!

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:19 am

Clarke James wrote:
Scott is Back wrote:Morning Guys,

Appreciate the help

Scott

BMX!!!

As ever Rich - Thanks for the sound advice randy

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

What about a Penny Farthing? randy

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

Scott

Assuming that your ride is going to be on roads, and that this commute will be your only significant riding, I think you'd probably do best with a hybrid, particularly one closer to the road-bike end of the spectrum. A full-on road bike is a bit delicate for commuting and a (low to mid range) mountain bike will be much heavier and slower so would probably do as much to put you off riding.

My colleague does a 15 mile each way commute on a Specialized hybrid (Sirrus Sport iirc) and his only complaint in 2 years was then someone knocked him off at a roundabout, destroying his original bike. Other than that, this seems to be a good option for commuting (I used to do a similar commute on a road bike, and punctures were a bane of my life because of the quality of the road surfaces here).

Of course the big question is what you mean by 'cheap', also whether you would consider a 2nd hand bike and whether you have the 'cycle to work' scheme available (saves you a good bit on VAT and finance costs).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

Dummy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, i have been thinking along the lines of a Hybrid, and have browsed this Sirrus one. Looks good, and is in the price range i would be happy with. Unfortunatly we dont have a "Cycle to Work" scheme, and would not mind a 2nd hand bike (though not having much joy finding one!) My journey is all road, and is pretty flat so i think this could be the best option. Thanks alot.

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down