The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Portnoy only: the Jeff is fixed

+5
maestegmafia
On-the-Soar
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
9 posters

Go down

For Portnoy only: the Jeff is fixed Empty For Portnoy only: the Jeff is fixed

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:14 pm

Being based on a league system to which effectively only few clubs can secure promotion to the top table due to the inequitable application of ground requirement (and other ludicrous) rules, Jeff supporters have always to live with complete security.

In addition, due to the ridiculous notion and inequitable distribution of 'P' shares, a newly promoted club appearing at the top table has to overcome a financial penalty

(this post may be a bit provocative)

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

For Portnoy only: the Jeff is fixed Empty Re: For Portnoy only: the Jeff is fixed

Post by beshocked Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm

Aslongasbut100ofus unfortunately I have to disagree.

Leeds,Newcastle,Exeter, Worcester and Sale need to stay in the AP to survive. Leeds will find promotion hard next season with the likes of Cornish Pirates and Bedford as big threats.

Clubs like Saints,Quins,Leicester,Bath and Gloucester would easily bounce back. Saints and Quins in recent years have done so.

London Irish,Wasps and Saracens don't have their own stadium - relegation could potentially bankrupt them.

I agree the system is not ideal. Jumping through hoops is what Exeter have had to do but it has meant you are much healthier financially.

More should be done to get the likes of London Irish and Wasps developing.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

For Portnoy only: the Jeff is fixed Empty Re: For Portnoy only: the Jeff is fixed

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

A bit provocative , or delibratly wummy in repsonse to Portnoys WUM article?

BTW when did Portnoys account get hijacked by Mickeyphil?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

beshocked, pls don't take my original post as reflective of what I actually think, it is distinctly tongue-in-cheek and merely intended as a riposte to Portnoy's never-ending series of the-AP-is-better-than-the-ML articles OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:A bit provocative , or delibratly wummy in repsonse to Portnoys WUM article?

BTW when did Portnoys account get hijacked by Mickeyphil?

It's a fair cop Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by On-the-Soar Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

I've just posted on two other threads where I feel Portnoy is making a fool of himself. And I'm a fellow Tigers fan who should, theoretically, be sympathetic to some of his views.

I just feel he's giving the club I love a bad name on a public forum - very sad.

Most Tigers fans, in my opinion, would not agree with much of whatt Portnoy says. So please, for the rest of you out there, don't judge all Tigers fans by Portnoy's wumming standards.

Cheers all!

PS I assumed he was Mikeyphil masquerading as a Tigers fan, to be honest. Either way, I think he does Tigers damage by prattling in the way he does.

On-the-Soar

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

On-the-Soar wrote:I've just posted on two other threads where I feel Portnoy is making a fool of himself. And I'm a fellow Tigers fan who should, theoretically, be sympathetic to some of his views.

I just feel he's giving the club I love a bad name on a public forum - very sad.

Most Tigers fans, in my opinion, would not agree with much of whatt Portnoy says. So please, for the rest of you out there, don't judge all Tigers fans by Portnoy's wumming standards.

Cheers all!

PS I assumed he was Mikeyphil masquerading as a Tigers fan, to be honest. Either way, I think he does Tigers damage by prattling in the way he does.

O-t-S, never fear, I have actually met Portnoy, been hosted by him at a Tigers match, and have supped pints with him - he is actually a fine fella, but does love the controversy, and isn't averse to flogging a dead horse or ten OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

It is fixed though, every year we fans pay Tigers loads of money and in return they keep winning it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

No different to the football premiership really

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Being based on a league system to which effectively only few clubs can secure promotion to the top table due to the inequitable application of ground requirement (and other ludicrous) rules, Jeff supporters have always to live with complete security.

In addition, due to the ridiculous notion and inequitable distribution of 'P' shares, a newly promoted club appearing at the top table has to overcome a financial penalty

(this post may be a bit provocative)

Braveheart

Regrettably As, I only just caught up with your article.

A league (or even a franchise) side needs to join with a prospect of not draining the finances.

I know that Exeter had to perform better than the existing Sale could produce (which is maybe why they are seeking a new home). You can't base a sensible side on a cabbage patch can you?

But the point is that budleigh salterton RC can dream whilst yer average celtic club can't.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:09 pm

Portnoy - out of interest how where do you stand on the Super 15? It is pretty similar to the celtic system. After all you average NZ, Aus, or SA club can't dream either.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:33 pm

Portnoy, I don't think many clubs can dream of moving into the Jeff - unless you get a wealthy benefactor like Rugby Lions apoear to have just got, or you have a ground large enough to be expanded (and can get the locals to agree - what is killing Wasps and LI) or have a very strong community support who will fund it then you are essentially never going anywhere.

99% of clubs play on a field with a clubhouse at one end and many of them even fear promotion at a local level, much less have dreams of going professional, my local club had to wait weeks for a fixture list this summer as two of the clubs who had been promoted to their level didn't want to go up.

Would it be better to expand the Jeff to allow in maybe, Bedford, the Pirates, whichever northern team is relegated at the end of the previous season and the two Exile teams and then close the gates?

IL

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:No different to the football premiership really

True the Welsh prefer that to their own league too

kiss

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:43 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Portnoy - out of interest how where do you stand on the Super 15? It is pretty similar to the celtic system. After all you average NZ, Aus, or SA club can't dream either.

I have no opinion about the s15. I don't watch it.

That's the way I keep my view of NH/SH special.

I also don't keep a close eye on the Tri-Nations. Obviously I spot the results.

But come game day in the big internationals 6Ns, S/A Is or RWCs I'll be there watching.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

Portnoy wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Portnoy - out of interest how where do you stand on the Super 15? It is pretty similar to the celtic system. After all you average NZ, Aus, or SA club can't dream either.

But come game day in the big internationals 6Ns, S/A Is or RWCs I'll be there watching.

we'll remember not to pay attention to your predictions when it comes to SH teams so as you have no idea what they are like.

Staying your bubble from now on like a good man and stop silly articles

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

But come game day in the big internationals 6Ns, Summer Autumn Internationals or RWCs I'll be there watching.

Last edited by Portnoy on Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

kiss

And sadly they can still get sides in your one too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

Portnoy wrote:

Fair enough I guess. I only asked as there tends to be a heap of love for the S15 from English fans, but not so much for the Rabo, but bar where they are based (and the home and away fixtures) they are more or less the same style of cross-country league system.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:00 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:
Portnoy wrote:

we'll remember not to pay attention to your predictions when it comes to SH teams so as you have no idea what they are like.

I don't think that I've ever made a specific comment about SH sides or any predictions.

Except to say that the ABs deserve another RWC just because of what they've contributed to World rugby.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

Portnoy wrote:
caoimhincentre wrote:
Portnoy wrote:

I don't think that I've ever made a specific comment about SH sides or any predictions.

Except to say that the ABs deserve another RWC just because of what they've contributed to World rugby.

how would you know what they have contributed to world rugby. you don't watch them play

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

kiss

And sadly they can still get sides in your one too.

And get relagted Very Happy

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:

how would you know what they have contributed to world rugby. you don't watch them play

Oh. Just by watching for fifty years.

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

Portnoy you are contradicting yourself. First you don;t watch SH teams play,I also don't keep a close eye on the Tri-Nations. Obviously I spot the results.

"I also don't keep a close eye on the Tri-Nations. Obviously I spot the results".
Which lead me to say how would you know what NZ contribute.

And now you have been watching for 50 years.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:Portnoy you are contradicting yourself. First you don;t watch SH teams play,I also don't keep a close eye on the Tri-Nations. Obviously I spot the results.

"I also don't keep a close eye on the Tri-Nations. Obviously I spot the results".
Which lead me to say how would you know what NZ contribute.

And now you have been watching for 50 years.

Oh dear.

Let me spell it out.

I have been watching international rugby for 50 years.

For most of those years seeing a live away game in the SH was not an option.

I'd prefer to watch NHvSH games as a treat. In fact I'd prefer them to less regular than they are.

So I elect not to watch SH league games as a form of deferred gratification.

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

thanks for clearing that up.

After 50 years you'd think you would have a basic understand of rugby.

Oh well thumbsup

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:28 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:thanks for clearing that up.

Oh well thumbsup

Yes you would wouldn't you?

I'm clearly ignorant of all rugby issues. Sorry.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:35 pm

Portnoy wrote:
caoimhincentre wrote:thanks for clearing that up.

Oh well thumbsup

Yes you would wouldn't you?

I'm clearly ignorant of all rugby issues. Sorry.

Don't worry about it. No one is perfect

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down