The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COULD YOU BE A COACH?

+14
coachkevcampion
eddyfightfan
Union Cane
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Fists of Fury
BALTIMORA
Seanusarrilius
coxy0001
88Chris05
Rowley
oxring
Scottrf
Michaels, Sean
Lumbering_Jack
18 posters

Go down

COULD YOU BE A COACH? Empty COULD YOU BE A COACH?

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 13 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

Now, I dont profess to be the new Angelo Dundee, but I do like to think I know a thing of two about boxing. When I watch fights (at all levels) I can pick up on the sublteties and adjustments which I boxer will need to make to potentially throw the fight his way.

I am a regular in my local boxing gym and often hold pads for people of all skill levels. I can tell a complete novice the basics and have him up and running in a few sessions, and I can make small adjustments to a more skilled boxer, including often neglected areas such as footwork/slipping shots. I know how a correct punch should be thrown, how to train different types of fighter etc... So what is the difference between someone like me who likes to think he understands the fight game well, to someone like Roach. Has Roach just been lucky? Is he merely a good motivator who gets fights that have great talent anyway.

Do you think you could train a top pro for a fight?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

COULD YOU BE A COACH? Empty Re: COULD YOU BE A COACH?

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

I reckon so. My old man has plenty of chickens and a mate works in an abbatoir. What else do you need?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:09 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:I reckon so. My old man has plenty of chickens and a mate works in an abbatoir. What else do you need?

A dead, skinned, cow.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

I think that was the abattoir.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

Scottrf wrote:I think that was the abattoir.

He didn't specify which animals he deals with...

Any serious answers? Maybe I dont realise my own, vast, talent.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

What is needed? Qualifications, experience and a bit of luck with the right guy walking into your gym?

Could I do it? What sort of man would answer no to that question?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:43 pm

Fitness - yes; definitely.

Skills - footwork, maybe - but probably not the finer details of the punches and balance. My own background hasn't prepared me for that.

Roach and Steward are great trainers for a reason. If anyone could do it - they probably would (no disrespect to you lumberjack, you may be superb I have no idea and you should try it if you're wondering)
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

Think you're doing the job a disservice is a tricky job. Is not just the fitness and technique things you need to be able to work on there is also a lot of work on the mental side that goes on. Not all fighters have masses of self belief and confidence, instilling that is difficult and what may work for one guy make fall flat with another.

Read Johnny Nelson's biography and he is fulsome in his praise of Ingle in this respect. Worth remembering Johnny was absolutely useless when he started lost something like his first 6, then when he did rebuild had the DeLeon and Wareing losses, to deal with a guy like that and overcome all of that to turn him into a long time, if pretty dull world champion can't have been easy and shows the coaches job is more than just getting a guy fit and punching right.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

I would say that although this site is flooded with boxing enthusiasts, there are (and this is perhaps being generous) only one or two amongst us that could make it as a coach.

As Rowley has said above, following the sport closely and picking up on little things as you watch is only a small part of it. You need psychology, to often need to keep yourself in good nick as well as your fighter, you need the right temperament (because let's face it, you're bound to get frustrated just as your fighter is at times), you need to be a 'people person', too.

Touching on Ingle, he described himself as "a professor of boxing, a professor of psychology and a professor of kidology all rolled in to one. You have to be."

I think it takes something special, something which probably can't be taught or learned. You can be a boxing nut, fit as a fiddle and care for your charge massively, but it's still no guarantee, and as I said I don't think there are that many who could do it, and do it well.

Of course, you might just be one of those few amongst us who could, Lumbering Jack!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:05 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I would say that although this site is flooded with boxing enthusiasts, there are (and this is perhaps being generous) only one or two amongst us that could make it as a coach.

I agree, very generous indeed. Most coaches have a history in the pro game (correct me if i'm wrong) or stumble on a portfolio of very talented fighters (Enzo Calzaghe).
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:11 pm

There's nothing like a good ol' cattle prod

After 18 months of having that rammed up your arriss i can guarantee my stable of boxers would be dancing like Elvis and punching like Tyson

Nothing like a good old bit of negative reinforcement. Or torture. Worked for ze Eastern Germans.

During fights they'd have electrodes clipped to their gonads and water poured down there. Failure to comply with instructions leads to a 'berating' inbetween rounds.

3 losses = death. Guarantees they go out on their shields rather than giving up.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

i think as an avid boxing fan i can tell what is going wrong for a certain boxer in a fight, but its being able to change it. I couldnt train anyone that is for certain bu i feel like i could give some good corner advice, so not a trainer but maybe an over zealous cut man chipping in beyond my station with advice, or entourage.

www.maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

I could be a coach, but I don't think I am.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

So what is the difference between someone like me who likes to think he understands the fight game well, to someone like Roach

Fact he fought under one of the great trainers in Futch obviously counted for nothing then.

As opposed to a lazy armchair fan who's experience of being in the ring constitutes having to take an 'alternative route' on the mrs as her main road is only suitable for wide berth vehicles.

Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:27 pm

[quote="coxy0001"]

As opposed to a lazy armchair fan who's experience of being in the ring constitutes having to take an 'alternative route' on the mrs as her main road is only suitable for wide berth vehicles.

Wink

Are you trying to tell us something about your manhood coxy?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
So what is the difference between someone like me who likes to think he understands the fight game well, to someone like Roach

Fact he fought under one of the great trainers in Futch obviously counted for nothing then.

Wink

Lazy, nope. Fit, low body fat, ripped and handsome.

As for the woman, a cross between Megan Fox and Kelly Brook.

I must of been good in a previous life to deserve all this.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:11 pm

And a world class boxing trainer, to boot!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

Used to go out with a girl who could be a coach. Like a coach, her ar5e would never fit into a normal parking space.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:18 pm

And well versed in all aspects of IT and project management, except web design\creation. That is for people who don't have the aptitude for more complex IT, in my experience.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

This is a bit like everyone thinking they'd do a better job of managing England than the manager. The scenario you present is the same as the fact there's thousands of Sunday league coaches around the country but they couldn't all do Alex Fergusons job, there are levels in everything in life and by and large the elite make it to the top because they have a special talent that the average participator doesn't - and that includes Roach.

So no, I don't think I'd be a good boxing coach. I think I'd be good at fitness training as I'm very fit and athletic, I've coached football before (in south America) but wouldn't know where to start with boxing other than the basic punches and stance. I'd be a good pace maker for the road running though!
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:52 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:And well versed in all aspects of IT and project management, except web design\creation. That is for people who don't have the aptitude for more complex IT, in my experience.
How does IT get more complex than handling .net, ajax, php, jquery etc?

Lets not just go into peoples reactions when you they ask "what do you do"

And you go "IT Project Manager" and they think "haha, boring IT geek who basically orders new computers"

Or

"Senior web designer" and they think "cool sector to work in"

Dimwits who claim to be "IT Managers" are in essence people who have zero speciality and have probably covered a book on basic html, systems building, payment gateways etc and are generally laughed at by the COOL end of the IT world!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:54 pm

Numptifeatures, how does IT get more complex than handling .net, ajax, php, jquery etc?

I personally find downloading decent filth that isn't riddled with viruses or that needs you to give your credit card details over pretty tricky. That said I'm a halfwit who can barely use Sky + so am probably not the best person to ask.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:And well versed in all aspects of IT and project management, except web design\creation. That is for people who don't have the aptitude for more complex IT, in my experience.
How does IT get more complex than handling .net, ajax, php, jquery etc?

Lets not just go into peoples reactions when you they ask "what do you do"

And you go "IT Project Manager" and they think "haha, boring IT geek who basically orders new computers"

Or

"Senior web designer" and they think "cool sector to work in"

Dimwits who claim to be "IT Managers" are in essence people who have zero speciality and have probably covered a book on basic html, systems building, payment gateways etc and are generally laughed at by the COOL end of the IT world!

And Coxy takes the bait... I knew you would.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:And Coxy takes the bait... I knew you would.
Guaranteed.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

rowley wrote:Numptifeatures

Did he actually say that?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:59 pm

I was quoting someone Union, of course I didn't say it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:59 pm

Yeah Union, don't be such a numptifeatures.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

Coxy0001: Dimwits who claim to be "IT Managers" are in essence people who have zero speciality and have probably covered a book on basic html, systems building, payment gateways etc and are generally laughed at by the COOL end of the IT world!
----------------
Is there a cool end of the IT world coxy?!! My web designer is a sound guy but as boring as sin! Not that I'm claiming my line if work is akin to being chief johnny tester at Durex or anything.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:01 pm

No, no, I know you didn't say it, I was asking you whether the other man had said it, it does look like I was saying that you had said it there though, which I wasn't.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

Maybe one of coxy's COOL IT web designer friends told him that word during a lively discussion about how simple java script is?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

Union Cane wrote:No, no, I know you didn't say it, I was asking you whether the other man had said it, it does look like I was saying that you had said it there though, which I wasn't.

Cheers for clearing that up

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:05 pm

Or a cool argument about TCP/IP protocol. Cool

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:19 pm

speaking about coachs, i forget his name but he's khan and mannys fitness coach- i dont like the way he is with his guys, he is such a little suck up and seems scared of them and is made to run around like a whipping boy for them, to me you need a trainer that will give you a rollocking other wise you end up with a james degale type fighter.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

Alex Ariza

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul 2011, 6:16 pm

thats the guy- khan dropped him then took him back if i remember right

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

COULD YOU BE A COACH? Empty I am a Coach... my advice

Post by coachkevcampion Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:49 pm

Hi,

I am a professional boxing Trainer / Second just like Roach, Stewart. I am licensed by the BBBofC. Could you become a coach??? yeah course you can, but will you be a good one?? well who knows??...Its a bit like football fans... everyone who watches football thinks they are the next Alex Ferguson, and many attempt to make it at the highest level and.... epic fail... Everything looks easy and simple when your sat watching it and saying oh yeah if he keeps his hand up he wouldnt get hit or whatever..... but remember for every action theres a reaction. Dont forget theres another coach in the other corner telling his fighter to do something as well to combat whatever you do. thats the tricky part.... Sure you can get someone hitting the pads nicely and moving around.... most things are simple where there isnt someone standing in the other corner who wants to take your head off..... Trust me people react totally different when under pressure, sometimes no matter what you say the fighter doesn't do it. Your dealing with humans and whatever you do you cant control what happens inside the ring... But your job as a coach is take them through ever situation you can see happening in the ring. Its about having 2 / 3 / 4 game plans, one sizes does not fit all. You also have to wear so many hats you have so much to sort out, diet, strength and conditioning, making sure they dont over train, making sure they train enough, get cardio and stamia, making sure they have the right supplements, getting enough rest and ensuring that their weight is bang on as well.... Plus the mental side of it... getting your fighter focused, overcoming fear, pushinhg them and their body further than they thought it could go... building confidence if hes been rocked or knocked down..... you have to gain the fighter trust they have to believe in you and what you are telling them as you sometimes get them to box / fight in a way they are not comfortable with but you know its the right game plan so they have to trust you.....and all for very little money unless you have a stable of world champions (you are only allowed a max of 10% of a fighter purse... great if he fights for a million quid.... but most pro boxers on a small hall show is anywhere between £2000 - £7000..... so lets says its for £7000 that means i get £700..... great for one day but remember i would of had that fighter in the gym twice a day...6 days a week... for 8 - 10 weeks... for £700, there are very few millionaire trainers trust me) But you can learn and develop into a coach first and foremost to become a coach you have to understand the sport your are coaching. Better if you have fought yourself as you understand what they are going through but not always a must.... Have the willingness to learn and continue to learn..... i learn things everyday. Gain experience start off training amateurs and build from there... but my biggest advice would be source other coaches and go and see what they do. I spent a lot of time with Bobby Rimmer who alongside Billy Graham coached Ricky & Matthew Hatton in their prime, as well as Michael Gomez & Carl Thompson, Bobbys has been involved in 15 world title fights, the experience he has picked up and passed on is better than any you will read in a book..... I have spend time with Spencer Oliver, (former EBU champ) Don Charles (coach of Derek Chisora), Lee Beard (another Hatton Trainer).. and still to this day i phone people for advice.. likes of Dean Powell (Frank Warrens Matchmaker and former coach), Ruben Tabares (David Haye's Strength & Conditioning coach.) as well as Bobby and co.... So yeah if you want to coach then give it a go. start with amateurs and build from there. I am based in Essex so if you ever want to come down to the gym to see what we do then your welcome just so longs you sort it with me first. you can contact me through this forum or email me at kevinjcampion@gmail.com Hope this helps

coachkevcampion

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

What a nice chap.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:30 pm

If I was born with a set of wheels and an engine then I could be a Coach..

Not sure I could..I tend to lack patience.....and prefer to do than to watch..

Always preferred sleeping with Joanne than watching other men on top of her...

But if you don't try these things...you'll never know..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:33 pm

Yeah, definitely i know for a fact i can and will do when i'm a bit older gonna start boxing again soon anyway, so will have to be in later life, i know a lot tactically so will be a waste if i don't do something, would love to help kids who are going down the wrong road turn there lives around through this brilliant sport too.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

Not sure about the.... I know a lot tactically bit..

but I like a guy who's interested in helping those less fortunate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:55 pm

Was watching Tyson v Douglas the other night and Larry Marchant actually made a good point for once about Kevin Rooney (it was 20 years ago though), being that things can go so well for a fighter and all of a sudden he thinks he can go it on his own or change to a different/cheaper trainer, things may go well for a while, but eventually one night like Tyson in Tokyo, it can all go wrong and that's were the experienced trainers on big bucks, come into their own. The American judge at the time of the stoppage had nearly every round to Douglas, the japanese judges had it even and Tyson just ahead, shocking.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:40 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:Was watching Tyson v Douglas the other night and Larry Marchant actually made a good point for once about Kevin Rooney (it was 20 years ago though), being that things can go so well for a fighter and all of a sudden he thinks he can go it on his own or change to a different/cheaper trainer, things may go well for a while, but eventually one night like Tyson in Tokyo, it can all go wrong and that's were the experienced trainers on big bucks, come into their own. The American judge at the time of the stoppage had nearly every round to Douglas, the japanese judges had it even and Tyson just ahead, shocking.

Douglas completely schooled Tyson, he absolutely battered him i was working in an house last year and a fella said Tyson lost to Douglas by a lucky punch, i nearly fell off the ladder whilst emulsioning the ceiling laughing

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down