The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys & Dragons to host Russia this summer

+8
Shifty
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
Thomond
PenfroPete
Luckless Pedestrian
red_stag
Cari
12 posters

Go down

Ospreys & Dragons to host Russia this summer Empty Ospreys & Dragons to host Russia this summer

Post by Cari Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:33 am

Former Welsh captain Kinglsey Jones, now coach of Russia will be bringing them to Wales for a warm up fixture at the Liberty. Currently ranked 19th in the world, Russia will visit the Liberty Stadium on Sunday 21st August (KO 3:00pm), two weeks before the start of the new Pro12 season. This from the Ospreys website:

Chief Operations Officer, Andrew Hore, said that everybody at the Ospreys is looking forward to welcoming the Russians to the Liberty Stadium:

"Rugby is booming in Russia, it's a real growth sport and they are quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with so it's fantastic that we can welcome them to the Liberty Stadium. It's a game that will be vitally important for both teams in terms of preparation for the following month, when we get our Pro12 campaign underway while they will be travelling to New Zealand to compete in their first ever Rugby World Cup.

"It promises to be a great occasion, and a real opportunity for supporters to enjoy a style of rugby, and a team, that while it may be unfamiliar to them, will provide a real test for us. No doubt Russia will make a big impression in New Zealand, and this game is a chance for our fans to see for themselves what they can do.

"As was the case five years ago when we defeated Australia, it is sure to be a special day in our short history and an afternoon to remember."

I think this will be a really interesting match to see before the World Cup as well Smile

Last edited by Cari on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed to add Dragons just for information.)

Cari

Back to top Go down

Ospreys & Dragons to host Russia this summer Empty Re: Ospreys & Dragons to host Russia this summer

Post by red_stag Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:55 am

There should be more fixtures like this. Munster played NZ, Tigers played South Africa, Connacht played Samoa, Ospreys played Australia etc.

They offer a new dynamic and are great for club warm up matches and also are games that international teams can use for squad development.

Munster toured USA for a few summers playing Test Series (or series of games they werent tests) against USA. Good for both teams.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ospreys & Dragons to host Russia this summer Empty Re: Ospreys & Dragons to host Russia this summer

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:11 am

Good to see this fixture. Plenty of motivation for both sides, for different reasons.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:15 am

Great stuff, I'd like to go down to that one.

"Ticketing details for the game, which kicks off at 3.00pm, will be announced closer to matchday " Please , please O's don't shoot yourselves in the foot with this one Rolling Eyes £10 for adults, kids go free, please OK
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:27 am

PenfroPete wrote:Great stuff, I'd like to go down to that one.

"Ticketing details for the game, which kicks off at 3.00pm, will be announced closer to matchday " Please , please O's don't shoot yourselves in the foot with this one Rolling Eyes £10 for adults, kids go free, please OK

Me too - depending on the prices. a tenner would be perfect!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:29 am

An interesting fixture and an Os side without their world cup players could face a difficult test. Hope it's on S4C!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:31 am

The Dragons are also hosting Russia too, don't forget!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/13353690.stm

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

Griff - have they said how much their tickets are yet?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

Thanks, Griff - I might have to get down for that one! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:35 am

I am hoping that with Kingsleys connections that maybe we can see a narly dog of a 2nd row or t/head at Dave soon as they are the positions we need strength in.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

Bedford, that would be great, those are the two positions I would start with strengthening first. They do seem to breed them big in Russia and the wider former soviet union countries!

Cari, no I don't think they have. Can't find anything on their website. I'm hoping it will be free for season ticket holders.

I remember going to watch Newport v Uruguay not long before regional rugby and that was a great day out. It helped that Newport spanked them by about 50 or 60 points though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

Friendlies are always free as part of a season ticket aren't they?

This was announced a while back (I think I did an article on it), so it's strange how Ospreys are only just officially announcing it and Dragons haven't yet. Ah well, why would us supporters care when games of ours are due to be played.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Yeah it was announced in May (albeit with a date of 20 Aug for the O's), so it's only taken two months to confirm.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

Fantastic News...! I cant wait to see them, Russia look like a hell of a team.

Could well be an upset here...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

Thanks for posting Cari, I was waiting to find out the date of this one.

See you all there I guess Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by BOO Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

The last time that I spoke to the Dragons ticket office (2 weeks ago) the Russia fixture hadn't been confirmed. Not sure if anything has changed.

BOO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

So it's the 16th for the Dragons. I think my article from the Beeb had it on the 17th.

At least they're both finally confirmed now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:35 pm

Dragons supporters,

The game v Russia is included as part of your season ticket, but because you won't have it until a few days after the game, you have to fill out this form or contact the ticket office and inform them that you wish to attend.

http://newportgwentdragons.com/RugbyCMS/Uploads/Dragons/RUSSIA%20ST%20FORM.pdf

They also have confirmed a Friendly v Leeds a week later (23rd Aug), but you should have your season ticket by then.

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Thu 14 Jul 2011, 6:43 pm

can't wait for this game, be good to see how good/bad these russians are.

Also if they have any big ivan drago type bruisers Wink

ps blues not appointing a new coach yet, waiting for KJ or GH to take over after the world cup?

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

I'm sure they've played some games recently where their scrum took a right tuning. I'm sure if there were players of note, Kingsley might have already recommended some to his home region Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Thu 14 Jul 2011, 6:56 pm

I saw the churchill cup vs the states that back rower who was a sub is ahandful and one of their wingers is.

Both could play regional rugby imo although i'd wager theyll end up in france or sale before wales RR Sad

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

That's what it was JB thank you. Didn't see it myself, but us lot at Dave were pretty excited about possibly getting a grizzly tighthead and then somebody mentioned their scrum problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Dragons supporters,

The game v Russia is included as part of your season ticket, but because you won't have it until a few days after the game, you have to fill out this form or contact the ticket office and inform them that you wish to attend.

http://newportgwentdragons.com/RugbyCMS/Uploads/Dragons/RUSSIA%20ST%20FORM.pdf

They also have confirmed a Friendly v Leeds a week later (23rd Aug), but you should have your season ticket by then.

Thanks for that, Rev! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Thu 14 Jul 2011, 7:57 pm

off topic bur dragons fans fancy your chances this season? you finished with a real bang , plus no hc rugby and fewer test call ups will boost you ml season.

I fancy you for a play off spot

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

jb1973 wrote:I saw the churchill cup vs the states that back rower who was a sub is ahandful and one of their wingers is.

Both could play regional rugby imo although i'd wager theyll end up in france or sale before wales RR Sad

You know that winger (Vasily Artimiev) has now been signed by Northampton having previously been in Leinster Academy.

Also that big backrow/lock (Andrei Ostrikov) has been snapped up by Sale Sharks.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:24 pm

I suspect that in future years the Russians and other developing nations, will put money into 7's as it is an Olympic event rather than XVs. Because of this, I think we might see the XV a side game stall a little bit. I really do hope I am wrong, though.
Back on topic, if any Robocop team have players away on WC training camps or whatever, I think they might get a bit of a doing from what is a pretty reasonable team like Riussia. I must confess to being a bit jealous of you getting warm-up matches like that

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:39 pm

Injured, I don't see it being the case in Russia. They seem to have taken to the game well. Even though they only played 1st game in 1992 they are now in the World Cup. A fully professional competition and they have players heading to the likes of Saints and Sharks.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:46 pm

As I said, Red, I do hope that I am wrong. I must confess that I had forgotten that Union basically absorbed league and that there is a pro league. One of the big probelms they have, though, is that it is baking hot in summer and nut-numbingly cold in winter so i don't knwo how long their season is
Mrs Injured and I went to St Petersberg on honeymoon and one of our tour guides spent more time talking about rugby than the sites. From what he was saying, the game is popular but, like Holland to an extent, more so in Uni than with "real" adults. (For some reason, I was wearing Highlanders top and that is how the conversation started onto rugby but don't worry, there wasn't some David Mellor-esque reason for wearing it)

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:25 am

O's to play Lyon in at pre-season 'training camp'

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5577.php
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:42 am

Quite a clever way of selling that game Penfro. I hear the Dragons are doing similar against Bordeaux or somebody, so they should probably follow the O's lead there and Market it the same way.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

jb1973 wrote:off topic bur dragons fans fancy your chances this season? you finished with a real bang , plus no hc rugby and fewer test call ups will boost you ml season.

I fancy you for a play off spot

JB,

I think no HC rugby is a boost for us and I hope we can get a really good run in the Amlin. We need to start the season the way we finished last year.

We could in theory still lose possibly 5 players to the WC (more likely 3) in Burns, Charterris, Lydiate, Faletau and Brew which I know isn't a lot compared to the other Regions but would be a big chunk of our first team.

We need the likes of Evans, Tovey amd Smith to start with a bang.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Definitely losing two of our backrowers is big, but Lewis Evans and Andrew Coombs did well enough last year.

In a way no HC has worked against us. We've got to travel quite far for two games and to be honest we will still aim to do well in it, so it makes no difference not being in the Heineken.

I don't think playoffs. I'd settle for being on the verge of them, pick up more winning bonus' and beating the Turks at home (on top of the other two. As long as our attacking style remains, we should do okay.

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm

I am the eternal pessimist i honestly think the Dragons will struggle again this season. I know other sides will be missing more players than us but the reality is we do not have the quality to replace 4 out of our 5 players who are likely to be heading to the world cup.

THe other one likely to go Lloyd Burns does have two decent players in WIllis and Jones who could replace him but both players are the wrong side of 30 and have injury troubles.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

rhino,

Losing Danny and Toby will be huge but I thought Lewis Evans had a fantastic end to the season and maybe Hugo Ellis can stamp his mark now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:rhino,

Losing Danny and Toby will be huge but I thought Lewis Evans had a fantastic end to the season and maybe Hugo Ellis can stamp his mark now.

I have faith in Lewis but let us not forget that Gavin Thomas while he has been a good signing has spent a lot of time injured recently and Lewis has been covering 7.

I have no faith in Ellis what so ever.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm

I am willing to give Ellis benefit of doubt for now, always seen Evans as an 8 but done great job as a 7 last season.

What we can't afford to do is have a poor start like we did last year, we need to try and pick up where we left off.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down