The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiebreak - Tennis Theatre

+3
noleisthebest
Fedex_the_best
legendkillar
7 posters

Go down

Tiebreak - Tennis Theatre Empty Tiebreak - Tennis Theatre

Post by legendkillar Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

In 1969, not only did man walk on the moon, but at Wimbledon Pancho Gonzales and Charlie Pasarell played out an epic 22-24 1-6 16-14 6-3 11-9 which took over 2 days to complete. We now know that Isner and Mahut put that in the shade some 41 years later, but that match particular changed tennis because James Van Alen invented the tiebreaker and it tennis has never looked back.

It was been said universally that the 7th game of any set in tennis is the pressure game and most important one.

For me the tiebreaker is the ultimate in tennis theatre and pressure. You could play set and serve and save break points and be taken to deuce on all your service games, and yet still sneak it in a tiebreaker.

John McEnroe in 1980 in the Wimbledon final won the 4th set on a tiebreak 18-16 which lasted over 20 minutes. He lost the match. Utter agony for the American.

Roger Federer won 2 tiebreaks in his Semi-Final encounter at the French Open against Novak Djokovic and became the 'streak slayer' in the process.

Murray fans will know the pain of tiebreaks. Last year at the World Tours Finals in the 3rd and final set, Murray lead 3-0 with 2 minibreaks and went on to lose the tiebreak 8-6.

For me tiebreaks are the ultimate test in physical and mental fortitude.

What are your memories of tiebreaks and experiences of playing in them?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Tiebreak - Tennis Theatre Empty Re: Tiebreak - Tennis Theatre

Post by Fedex_the_best Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

Fed vs Haas - French Open. Fed loses zero points on serve in the first set and goes to lose the first set and then the second. Never before and after did I feel so foul at tie-breaks. Thankfully, he won the match!

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:40 pm

I never played a tie-break but remember the one in the semi-final of Madrid 2009 very well...the most nail-biting match EVERE!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 14 Jul 2011, 6:23 pm

I like the tiebreaker myself, many people say that they dislike the fact that the USO has a fifth set breaker, I like it. I remember one final Agassi and Sampras played where every set was a tiebreak and neither player could break the other. Also have to concur with Nitb here, the madrid tiebreaks in 09 where just so exhiliarting watching Nadal and Novak run everything down.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 16 Jul 2011, 7:58 am

In recent years the W '09 2nd set was dramatic.

Roddick, leading by the first set, goes into a 6-2 lead and 4 sets points have him poised to move 2 sets clear. Federer receives the first and plays an irrestistable point, finished with a gloriously virtuous half-volley backhand into an open court. Two strong serves get him to 6-5 whereupon Andy drives him deep to the forehand. An unchallenging recovery shot presents an inviting, albeit high, backhand volley into the open court but he gets under the ball and floats it into the opposite tramlines. 6-6. Gasps on Court and in the commentary box.

They change ends and in bouncing the ball on 2nd serve Roddick puts it onto his shoe and the ball scuttles forward, forcing the American to interrupt his service routine. Boris Becker speaks for everyone as he utters a flat "Oh my God". A dipping backhand bounces in front of the onrushing Roddick and he fluffs the attempt. Set point Federer, and he plays a low-risk rally ending when Roddick pushes the ball long. A gutteral roar from the Swiss announces the set to Federer.

Centre Court is staggered, it's one set all. Roddick leaves to regroup and on returning walks to the wrong end. He earns great credit by recovering himself take take the match very long.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 16 Jul 2011, 10:39 am

One that strangely enough hasn't been mentioned often: 2004 semi masters cup: Federer-Safin.
Two dodgy decisions from the empire but Federer took it quite easily. I'm reckon he would make more fuss about it in recent times. As a fan i didn't bother me much either because it was so natural in that period that he would win anyway. Boring to some but boy what a stunning quality.

I remember it was the last time it was live on Eurosport. The following year sky took the rights. This tournament Federer showed his new hair Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gSZ1tmCIk

Look how freely Federer moves!

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:54 pm

TMC 2005. Federer-Nalbandian. Federer serving for the match @ 6-5 30-0 to lose the match in a TB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XOBP3N1ejc

W 2008. Fourth set TB. Nadal leads 5-2 in TB.

Nadal serves a DF. Nadal 5-3. Nadal dumps a BH in the net 5-4.
Federer serves and puts a mid-court ball away with CC FH winner. 5-5.
Nadal goes wide @5-5 on Federer's serve. SP Federer. (Never have I seen the player and the players' boxes so nervous. Gwen Stefani the least nervous of the lot).Federer goes wide in the tram lines after a rally. 6-6.

Nadal nervous, drops his racquet on the way to the baseline. Federer goes long and challenges. MP Nadal on Federer's serve. 6-7. Federer's unreturnable serve on Nadal's FH, challenged by Rafa, is in. 7-7. Federer gets passed at the net with a beautiful pass. MP Nadal on his own serve. Nadal serves to Federer BH and pins Federer's BH. Federer's memorable BH pass DTL. 8-8.

Federer now hits a beautiful inside-out FH and a CC FH winner and serves for the set at 9-8. On Federer's second serve, Nadal goes long. Set Federer.

What a TB. clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-WcXmn9gI

Last edited by laverfan on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:56 pm

Sampras-Corretja USO 1996. The less said the better. The Champion's heart shone brilliantly that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MINEr61bfU

Edit: Thanks to Lydian for reminding me of this one.

Last edited by laverfan on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down