The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Premier League dream 25 man squad.

+4
taffy_crisp
compelling and rich
d260005p
Crimey
8 posters

Go down

Your Premier League dream 25 man squad. Empty Your Premier League dream 25 man squad.

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 8:05 pm

As we are about to enter another Premier League season I was thinking today about some of the talent that has embraced the league over the past 20 years. So I have been racking my brain all day trying to come up with what I think is a dream Premier League squad and I'd be interested to hear yours too guys.

There are no real rules as such but I am going with 3 GK's, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 6 strikers/forwards. I am also going with no more than 5 players from any one club in which the player represented at the time of his best years.

Here is mine:

GK 1 - Peter Schmeichel (Man Utd) - Probably worth 12 points per season during his heyday. A key component in Man Utd's early grip on the Premier League title.

GK 2 - David Seaman (Arsenal) - Safe hands! The last line of defence in arguably the best defensive unit this country has ever seen.

GK 3 - Pepe Reina (Liverpool) - Great shot stopper and all round brilliant footballing goalkeeper. Would probably have won another 40+ caps had he not been Spanish.

Def 1 - Ashely Cole (Chelsea) - A truly outstanding left back that would grace any side in the world. Didn't do too bad in an Arsenal shirt either.

Def 2 - Sami Hyypia (Liverpool) - The complete model professional. Steady and rarely made a mistake. A liverpool legend and rightly so.

Def 3 - Jonathon Woodgate (Leeds Utd) - Possibly the best teenage centre back I have ever seen. So so so unlucky with injuries.

Def 4 - Colin Hendry (Blackburn) - Uglier than the back end of a car wreck but the epitome of tough. He'd have put his head on a grenade if it meant keeping a clean sheet.

Def 5 - Gary Neville (Man Utd) - Mr dependable. One of the best right backs in world football during his pomp...the rat!!

Def 6 - Stephen Carr (Tottenham) - Proper wing back. Good in the tackle and excellent going forward.

Def 7 - Matt Elliot (Leicester City) - A controversial pick but a brilliant footballer who chipped in with his fair share of goals too including a brace in the 2000 League Cup final.

Def 8 - Gary Kelly (Leeds Utd) - Another ultra professional who rarely put a foot wrong. Could have easily payed for one of the big teams of his era. Vastly under-rated.

Mid 1 - Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) - Mr Liverpool. Possibly the most influential player in the English game of the past 10 years. Nobody deserves a title winners medal more.

Mid 2 - Patrick Vieira (Arsenal) - A joy to watch. He made the game at times look effortless. Captained the 'Invincibles' in 03/4. Led by example.

Mid 3 - Roy Keane (Man Utd) - Probably the first name on Utd's team sheet. The standard bearer. Have they ever replaced his brilliance?

Mid 4 - Juninho (M'boro) - One of the first overseas stars to make you sit up and think 'wow'. A relatively short Boro career but certainly made his mark on our game.

Mid 5 - Matt Le Tissier (Southampton) - The scorer of incredible goals. Southampton's talisman for a decade. Not a bad penalty taker either.

Mid 6 - Paul Scholes (Man Utd) - Technically the best English midfielder of his generation. A real gem. A proper footballer with a proper attitude.

Mid 7 - Dennis Wise (Chelsea) - A real shame he missed the blues golden years. Rarely wasted a pass. Was deserving of more England caps too.

Mid 8 - Rober Pires (Arsenal) - Majestic. Would have fitted perfectly in the Barcelona side of today.

For 1 - Alan Shearer (Newcastle) - Over 200 goals for his home town club in a 10 year period says it all. His Premier League goals record will never be beat.

For 2 - Eric Cantona (Man Utd) - Had we ever seen such arrogance at the time? The catalyst in Utd's climb back up the ladder. A nutjob but who cares?

For 3 - Robbie Fowler (Liverpool) - The most naturally gifted finisher I have ever seen. Such a shame his injuries took their toll. What could have really been..

For 4 - Thierry Henry (Arsenal) - Made the extraordinary look ordinary. Unlucky not to win world player of the year at least once. A genius.

For 5 - Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) - Who knows what would have become of Arsenal or indeed Arsene Wenger had he not inherited Bergkamp? The initial spark.

For 6 - Paulo Di Canio (West ham) - Another player off his trolley but on his day...'wow'. Shame he never arrived earlier.

So there you go folks. How hard was that!! I wanted to stick within the 'no team with more than five payers rule' in order to keep a balance. It's a whole lot harder than I first imagined. No Ronaldo, no Lampard, no Beckham, no Adams, no Ferdinand..I could go on for days!

Would love to see some of your own squads but understand it takes a while. Thoughts on my squad would be ace.

Cheers Guys.

Back to top Go down

Your Premier League dream 25 man squad. Empty Re: Your Premier League dream 25 man squad.

Post by Crimey Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

Goalkeeper- Peter Schmeichel (Manchester United)- Obvious really, just look how hard it was for United to replace him.

Goalkeeper- (Manchester United) Edwin Van Der Sar- Because he managed to replace the unreplacable and was brilliant despite being at the wrong end of his career.

Goalkeeper- Jose Reina (Liverpool)- Excellent, a really class goalkeeper and seriously unlucky to be Spanish.

Defender- Ashley Cole (Chelsea)- The world's best left back and one of Chelsea's most influential players.

Defender- Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)- Even as a Liverpool fan I can't deny his class in defence at his peak.

Defender- Sami Hyypia (Liverpool)- A brilliant and consistent defender, there won't be another so cheap but brilliant as him for a long time.

Defender- Sol Campbell (Arsenal)- A rock at the back for Arsenal for their best years.

Defender- Tony Adams (Arsenal)- Got over some early problems to be an excellent defender for Arsenal.

Defender- Jamie Carragher (Liverpool)- Might not be the most technical of footballers, but his heart and effort make up for his lack of skill.

Defender- Ledley King (Tottenham)- Injuries may have ruined him, but I think when he was fit, he was a very decent defender.

Defender- Lauren (Arsenal)- One of the most underrated players IMO.

Midfielder- Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)- I'd find it hard to leave this guy out, his transfer fee says it all really.

Midfielder- David Beckham (Manchester United)- His crosses are still the best in the modern game IMO, and a very good professional as well.

Midfielder- Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)- Best captain you could ask for, carries teams, scores goals, passes beautifully, tracks back, what else do you want?

Midfielder- Claude Makelele (Chelsea)- As Real Madrid a brilliant player who was the engine of their best period.

Midfielder- Michael Essien (Chelsea)- A driving force in a team, would have been an asset to any side.

Midfielder- Matthew Le Tissier (S'hampton)- Never got a shot at the big time, but showed he was a very capable player.)

Midfielder- David Silva (Manchester City)- Only one year, but I think he's amazing and wished Liverpool had signed him years ago.

Forward- Fernando Torres (Liverpool)- For a few glorious years he was the world's best striker.

Forward- Thierry Henry (Arsenal)- My favourite player ever to grace the Premier League other than 'Pool players, really amazing footballer.

Forward- Alan Shearer (Newcastle)- I think it'd be pretty much impossible to leave out this man from the squad, his goal scoring record says it all.

Forward- Kevin Phillips (Sunderland)- An underrated player IMO, could stick it in the back of the net from just about anywhere.

Forward- Carlos Tevez (Manchester City)- In a team of so-called superstars, this man still carries them.

Forward- Didier Drogba (Chelsea)- Just his sheer power should get him into this list, a late starter yet plays with such intensity it's hard not to be impressed...if only he didn't dive.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Your Premier League dream 25 man squad. Empty Re: Your Premier League dream 25 man squad.

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

Good squad Leak. It's damn hard picking a 25 ain't it?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:17 pm

It is very hard. We've both missed out Ryan Giggs for a start off, I changed some players four or five times.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:04 pm

Schmeichal (Man Utd)
Given (Newcastle)
Jaskelienen (Bolton)
Toure (Arsenal)
Adams (Arsenal)
Stam (Man U)
Campbell (Tottenham)
Albert(Newcastle)
Carragher(Liverpool)
Hypia (Liverpool)
Ronaldo(Man Utd)
Beckham (Man Utd)
Viera (Aresnal)
Gerard (Liverpool)
Overmars (Arsenal)
Ginola (Tottenham)
Wise (Chelsea)
Lampard (Chelsea)
John Barnes (Liverpool)
Cole (Man Utd)
Yorke (A Villa)
Les Ferdinand (Tottenham)
Henry (Arsenal)
Van Nistelrooy (Man Utd)
Owen (Liverpool)

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:30 am

Schmeichal
van der sar
g.neville (suprising lack of talent at rb other than him)
winterburn
d. irwin
a.cole
evra
vidic
stam
rio
adams
terry
keane
vieira
scholes
giggs
ronaldo
gerrard
henry
shearer
cantona
owen
berkamp

theres a reason why united and arsenal have dominated the prem years, shows in my team selection. chelsea bit unlucky not to have lampard and drogba as there the only other team who have challeged consistenly

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by taffy_crisp Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

Schmeichel, Seaman, Given

G.Neville, Dixon, Adams, Stam, Campbell, Desailly,Irwin, Cole

Beckham, Ronaldo, Viera, Keane, Scholes, Le tissier, Giggs, Ginola

Shearer, Cantona, Zola,Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Di Canio

taffy_crisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Wakers1201 Fri 02 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

Goalkeepers - Schmeichel, Cech, Given

Defenders - G Neville, Vidic, A Cole, T Adams, Stam, Hyypia, Desailly, Evra

Midfielders - Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Vieira, Gerrard, Ronaldo, Ginola

Strikers - Shearer, Cantona, Owen, Fowler, Henry, Bergkamp

Think the selection from one club cannot be limited as it takes away the idea of a 'dream squad'

Think it could be fun to do one from those players currently in the league, mine would be:

GK - Given, Cech, Reina

DEF - Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole, Evra, G Johnson, M Richards, Vermaelen

MID - A Young, Parker, Bale, Gerrard, Y Toure, Wilshere, Nani, Nasri

FWD - Rooney, Aguero, Hernandez, Van Persie, Torres, Suarez

Wakers1201

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

Goalkeepers-Schmeichel Given Van Der Sar

Defenders-Vidic Irwin Adams Desailly G. Neville Albert

Midfielders-Scholes Ronaldo Ljungberg Keane Giggs Xabi Alonso Vieria Ginola Le Tisser Beardsley

Strikers-Hughes Cantona Shearer Henry Bergkamp Zola

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:00 pm

Keepers: Schmeichel, Seaman, Given

Defenders: Adams, Stam, Campbell, S Pearce, Irwin, Dixon, Desailly

Midfielders: Giggs, Keane, Viera, Beckham, Makelele, Batty, Ginola, Kanchelskis, Scholes

Forwards: Cantona, Bergkamp, Shearer, Henry, Owen, Wright

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

Keepers: Schmeichel, Seaman, VDS

Defenders: Neville, Sanga, Vidic, Stam, Rio, Adams, Irwin, Evra

Midfilders: Beckham, Ronaldo, Keane, Scholes, Viera, Gerrard, Overmars, Giggs

Forwards: Cantona, RVN, Cole, Shearer, Henry, Rooney

Current 25 man Team

Cech, Given, De Gea (realy hard to pick 3 Goalkeepers were not exactly blessed with many class keepers in the prem)

Defenders Rafael, Sanga, Rio, Vidic, Terry, Vermalen, Cole, Evra

Midfilders Nani, Valencia, Nasri, Gerrard, Lampard, Essien, Young, Silva

Forwards Rooney, Hernandez, Aguero, RVP, Suarez, Dzeko

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down