The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

+8
The Galveston Giant
Seanusarrilius
licence_007
Imperial Ghosty
BALTIMORA
Lumbering_Jack
Scottrf
TRUSSMAN66
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing???? - Page 2 Empty Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 13:03

First topic message reminder :

Wasn't around here in the days of Honeyghan and Mcguigan but i'd imagine with Britain not having much success in Sport and notably Boxing that when they fought it became more of an event.....Same with Benn, Eubank etc....

Should think that Bruno made a lot of money due to the lack of decent pretenders around in them days....

So now you have the likes of Cook, Arthur becoming Champions and let's face it lot's of other guys on the verge of fighting for "So called" World titles (Lockett's of the past)... do you not think it detracts in the eyes of Joe bloggs.from real top quality and deserving champions such as Khan, Hatton and Calzaghe...??

You not think it shows Boxing up to be the poor relation it is to yester year.. when real top quality like Colin Jones came up tantalisingly short but had the respect of all!!!

For sure quality and talent should be rewarded..period!

However..You not think that all these Brit champions cheapen the sport in your Country as well as over the World....

You not think it would be better to celebrate the Honeyghan's achievements as special rather than accept another Brit champion as the norm!!!

Are more Brit world champs a good thing??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 18:37

That's hard for Brook but the best thing he could have done, shows he's got the ambition there and doesn't want to be held back. Didn't know any of that, good news.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:37

But steffan you wouldn't know what to do with a life!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:45

Brook and Clev both need to leave Warren. Clev needs a new trainer too but thats another thing altogether

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:47

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But steffan you wouldn't know what to do with a life!!

Oh I think I would. I quite enjoy my life as it goes between starting uni this year, playing golf and watching a lot of top bands

Maybe you have a good life as well I dont know I wouldnt judge anyone who iv never met over the internet...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:49

you've never judged anybody on here steffan.....you're too classy for that..

Let anybody in uni these days.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:51

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:you've never judged anybody on here steffan.....you're too classy for that..

Let anybody in uni these days.....

True they let anyone in as long as you got the wonga. Problem is I aint got the wonga Laugh

Im sure your a good guy at heart Truss

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:51

Golf have you got a handicap???

My colleagues used to call me CAPTAIN.....because of the amount of times I used to HOOK the ball..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:55

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Golf have you got a handicap???

My colleagues used to call me CAPTAIN.....because of the amount of times I used to HOOK the ball..

Havnt got an official handicap yet but iv been told it would be quite a high one as iv only just recently started back up

I hook the ball quite a lot too. Try loosening up your grip that worked for me. Also try practicing some slow shots to see where the club is connecting with the ball

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 19:58

Thinking of quitting the industrial psychology and becoming the American version of your David Attenborough....

Since i've been playing golf I've seen so much rare wildlife I almost feel like an expert on the subject.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 20:02

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thinking of quitting the industrial psychology and becoming the American version of your David Attenborough....

Since i've been playing golf I've seen so much rare wildlife I almost feel like an expert on the subject.. Cool

I see quite a lot of squirrels on one course I go to

I also seen a beaver once...why that woman choose to wear those tight golf pants in the rain il never know

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 20:05

I got so used to seeing beavers...that when we were playing behind the Lady members I used to be able to....

Name that...hole in one...boom boom!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 20:09

I think perhaps Truss is receiving a bit of undeserved vitriol here (there is a first time for everything).

I think the point he is making is, although we all agree less champions worldwide would be a good thing, he is asking if this is something that applies domestically. I.e. as the majority of people here are British, it is assumed by Truss that we feel take a certain amount of pride in producing world champion boxers. As such it would follow that the more world champs we produce the happier we are. However, his question is, in light of the idea that more champs cheapen the sport, would we actually rather sacrifice the joy of seeing as many fellow brits claim titles, in favour of seeing it far less frequently but it having much more meaning when it actually happens.

The reason this question is British specific is it is universally accepted on here (and pretty much any other forum) is that too many champions are a bad thing, and there is no need to debate this. However, lots of Brit champions is a good thing and so, as Brits, does this create a conflict of interest? It certainly doesn't create a conflict of interest if we discuss boxers of any other nationality, why should British fans care if Mexico, for example, has less wlrod champions?

As Truss is an American, an overtly patriotic and nationalistic country, this is a genuine question. However, in my experience, serious British boxing fans are not so nationalisitc, and care little about a boxers nationality. As such, the question seems almost redundant. Of course we would prefer to see less champions if it meant that the word 'champion' reclaimed some of it's depleted aura.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 20:12

Thing is ....gentleman01....I could hardly use Mexico and the USA for a thread like this as they have legacies....

Just people looking for trouble rather than take the thread at face value..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 20:20

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thing is ....gentleman01....I could hardly use Mexico and the USA for a thread like this as they have legacies....

Just people looking for trouble rather than take the thread at face value..

Ha! Very nice TRUSS. however, were I to bite here it would be openly hypocritical, seeing as I've just claimed not to be fervently nationalistic when it comes to enjoying boxing. Besides, you're right. We all know Wilde couldn't fight anyway...

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 20:35

Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2