The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

+8
The Galveston Giant
Seanusarrilius
licence_007
Imperial Ghosty
BALTIMORA
Lumbering_Jack
Scottrf
TRUSSMAN66
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing???? Empty Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Wasn't around here in the days of Honeyghan and Mcguigan but i'd imagine with Britain not having much success in Sport and notably Boxing that when they fought it became more of an event.....Same with Benn, Eubank etc....

Should think that Bruno made a lot of money due to the lack of decent pretenders around in them days....

So now you have the likes of Cook, Arthur becoming Champions and let's face it lot's of other guys on the verge of fighting for "So called" World titles (Lockett's of the past)... do you not think it detracts in the eyes of Joe bloggs.from real top quality and deserving champions such as Khan, Hatton and Calzaghe...??

You not think it shows Boxing up to be the poor relation it is to yester year.. when real top quality like Colin Jones came up tantalisingly short but had the respect of all!!!

For sure quality and talent should be rewarded..period!

However..You not think that all these Brit champions cheapen the sport in your Country as well as over the World....

You not think it would be better to celebrate the Honeyghan's achievements as special rather than accept another Brit champion as the norm!!!

Are more Brit world champs a good thing??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing???? Empty Re: Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

Post by Scottrf Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Weak champions are weak champions, doesn't matter where they are from. Another cheap dig to try and incite.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing???? Empty Re: Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:09 pm

You may as well write "I LOVE AMERICA, ENGLAND FAVOURS LOSERS".

Saves us the time spent reading to pick up your ever so subtle message.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:13 pm

For a place that suffers from lack of champions to suddenly have so many...

Doesn't it make it less special???

If you want to see the glass as half empty guys jog on..

It's a valid thread with honorable intention..

No attempt to gloat and that's honest..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Why single out British boxers for this 'argument'? If we're talking about weak champions there's a myriad to choose from. Berto, anyone? Chavez Jr? Any of the cruiser champions...

Must try harder Truss.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Who's singling out British boxers?????

I'm singling out the Island of Britain and it's sudden rise in the shape of the WBO....

I'm asking if you prefer a minority of quality champions or a majority of crud ones...

Don't be so sensitive..looking for digs etc....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Why not ask the question on a global scale then?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Because this is a British site ????

Let's have question time between Conservative and Labour and talk about the Mexican economy and their home affairs???

I'm asking a question about British boxing to Brits...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Because this is a British site ????

Let's have question time between Conservative and Labour and talk about the Mexican economy and their home affairs???

I'm asking a question about British boxing to Brits...

You're not British. Several other users here aren't British. Still others are Brits who live or work abroad. Boxing is a global sport. Is it a bad thing for any nation to have more champions?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:36 pm

several other users here aren't British.....

I'll only talk about America then alright!!!

Do one..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Quality is quality regardless of how many champions there are and nor does it matter what belt they hold, it's the belt holder who makes it not the belt any more.

Calzaghe, Hatton, Witter, Woods, Haye, Khan and Froch are amongst the recent british champions I respect whereas I couldn't care less about Burns, Rees, Cleverly, Arthur or Maccarinelli because they were/aren't world class.

It's not an issue unique to Britain, every country has it's fair share of weak 'world champions'

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Thank you Ghosty..........

Not suggesting they don't we had Robert Hines for godsake..

All I'm asking is if you prefer quality less often as champions as in the past .....or the more cheapened status you have now with more chefs...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:several other users here aren't British.....

I'll only talk about America then alright!!!

Do one..

I didn't suggest you talk only about on nation though, did I? Why do you think you have the right to speak to people as if they're imbeciles simply because they don't agree with something you say or do? Is your attitude indicative of your countrymen as a whole, I wonder?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:42 pm

I would prefer quality more often but I don't recognise poor fighters as world champions so the situation hasn't really changed

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I would prefer quality more often but I don't recognise poor fighters as world champions so the situation hasn't really changed

It's the difference between a boxer being a world champion and being a mere title holder. Whether that requires a whole new thread is debatable.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Before people start brutalising Burns, he did beat one of, if not the, main man in his division, so at least give him some respect for that. That win alone puts him above Cleverly and Maccarinelli.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:11 pm

The sport has loads of champs that cheapen the sport (usually in the WBO) it is prevelent in boxing with all nations not just brits, take Stielgitz for goodness sake, he is truly awful

www.maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Ths a WBO is a liitle step up from the WBU, but not as good as the main 3 belts, it's a little inbetween in a place known as Warren land.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I couldn't care less about Burns, Cleverly

Cleverly is still young and hasnt had chance to really prove himself yet. Burns beat a good champion in Martinez and looks to be one of those fighters who will peak later on in his career. The sky is the limit for both of them. To say you couldnt care less is a bit narrow-minded to say the least

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Oh yeah and congratulations to Trussman on winning subtle WUM of the week award king

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Bashing Burns is a bit harsh considering he is the only World Champion in Britain to take his title off the top man at his weight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:00 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Bashing Burns is a bit harsh considering he is the only World Champion in Britain to take his title off the top man at his weight.

If only Burns was English hey...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:06 pm

The BBC golf coverage makes me laugh. On the starting day they were all behind the great "British" hope Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland. Now they are all behind "England's" Tom Lewis lol. Even as an Irishman I don't really care what Rory classes himself as but it's so funny how fickle they are lol.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:The BBC golf coverage makes me laugh. On the starting day they were all behind the great "British" hope Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland. Now they are all behind "England's" Tom Lewis lol. Even as an Irishman I don't really care what Rory classes himself as but it's so funny how fickle they are lol.

Sometimes i find it funny, sometimes not, it's true though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Steffan wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:I couldn't care less about Burns, Cleverly

Cleverly is still young and hasnt had chance to really prove himself yet. Burns beat a good champion in Martinez and looks to be one of those fighters who will peak later on in his career. The sky is the limit for both of them. To say you couldnt care less is a bit narrow-minded to say the least

Cleverly simply is not a legitimate champion yet, there are 4 men rated higher than him at the weight which is ridiculous for a so called world champion whereas Burns is decent champion in a very weak division defending against nobodies

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Steffan wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Bashing Burns is a bit harsh considering he is the only World Champion in Britain to take his title off the top man at his weight.

If only Burns was English hey...

I don't go for all that nonsense. Burns is decent just wanted to point out that small detail. I've not seen Burns getting much stick on here from the English lads that I wouldn't give him myself.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Still think that giving guys like Alex Arthur the same status as the Mcguigan's.......kind of cheapens it....

I know it takes intelligence to understand the thread.......but all I asked was if you'd rather have less genuine world champs and not more mediocre ones....

Why wallies have to make an issue that there are plenty of poor ones around the World is just silly...

nobody is debating or denying that.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:39 pm

I'll tell you what extract Burns and stick in Takaloo....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Truss your underhand and not-so-subtle insults are quite pathetic. I still fail to see why you specifically choose British champions to highlight your 'point'.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'll tell you what extract Burns and stick in Takaloo....

I shook Takaloo's hand after he had broke it in Edinburgh, how was i to know it was broken, ouch!
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Because i'm talking about Britain.........

Maybe that's why I chose to highlight British fighters...

You haven't the heritage of Mexico or the USA.....who are used to having world champions...

Hence the fact you have so many so-called ones now makes me wonder if you think it a good thing..

Obviously it's beyond your comprehension.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:48 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:The BBC golf coverage makes me laugh. On the starting day they were all behind the great "British" hope Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland. Now they are all behind "England's" Tom Lewis lol. Even as an Irishman I don't really care what Rory classes himself as but it's so funny how fickle they are lol.

Sometimes i find it funny, sometimes not, it's true though.

I read a good interview with Rory McIlroy. He basically said that if English people want to cheer him on thats great. If Irish (republican) people want to cheer him on thats great as well. But he stated the only people who can claim him as 'their own' are the people of Northern Ireland as thats where he is from. Kinda like I would if I was a top sportsman. English and Americans can cheer me on but only the Welsh could claim me Very Happy

I guess he wants to avoid the whole "are you British or Irish?" thing. He hold a British passport yet represented Ireland in the amateurs. Doesnt look like he is going to win The Open anyway now

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Take your stupid non-boxing stuff onto one of your puerile threads and don't pollute mine..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Because i'm talking about Britain.........

Maybe that's why I chose to highlight British fighters...

You haven't the heritage of Mexico or the USA.....who are used to having world champions...

Hence the fact you have so many so-called ones now makes me wonder if you think it a good thing..

Obviously it's beyond your comprehension.

No, it's not beyond my comprehension but I feel you're missing the point. Do Britain have such a huge number of champions more than any other time? No. So what's the big deal about highlighting falling standards unless you're going to apply your 'argument' across the board?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:56 pm

In the eyes of the general public who maybe don't know boxing they may view a World champion as a World champion. With the lack of boxing coverage on free to air TV in Britain now they will never be held in the same esteem by the public as McGuigan and us proper boxing fans know better.

Their is examples pf things like this in every sport for example in football or soccer as you may call it their are players who have won World cups/Champions league who aren't in the same class as Zidane, Pele or Maradonna.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Britain is what 3rd in the world behind America and Mexico for all time world champions, safe to say we do have a fair bit of heritage of having genuine world champions, fact is Truss we have three potential number one fighters in Froch, Khan and Burns who are all ranked number two in the world at the moment, can't say i'm complaining. Haye is 3rd at Heavyweight and Cleverly 5th at Light Heavyweight, America isn't too far ahead of that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Lets just end this thread now so we can all go and have a life.......Trussman, the UK is rubbish at boxing and second for second rate champions. America is the best and would never do this. There we are all done Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:08 pm

Steffan wrote:Lets just end this thread now so we can all go and have a life.......Trussman, the UK is rubbish at boxing and second for second rate champions. America is the best and would never do this. There we are all done Very Happy

I think he makes a valid point and people on this forum are to quick to jump and dismiss people as biased. It happened to D4 regularly. The main point of having so many World champions devaluing the claim of being a World champion is valid. The fact he specified British should be neither here nor there.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm

But everone knows there are too many champions whether they be American, English, Mexican etc. Tell us something we dont know

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:14 pm

The fact in Britain we have had less World champions especially the elite level guys than the States or maybe even Mexico we hold ours in high regards.
The fact that some of today's World champions are less worthy of the tag is a problem in boxing that will never go away their is more and more World titles being made available on what seems a daily basis. Like I said before the general public may be conned but with the lack of mainstream TV coverage for these guys they will never be held in the same esteem as some of our previous greats.
Like I said us proper boxing fans should know better.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:16 pm

Us proper fans do. The casual fan doesnt really understand and to be honest I dont blame them. But in regards to Truss question it makes no difference to the real fans. We know a good boxer from a not so good one despite whatever belts they have

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:18 pm

I hope Ricky Hatton gets his finger out and his promoting takes off, we need a new promoter in this country who is in it for the fans, Ricky could be the man, not to milk titles and fill his own pocket. I understand a lot of British fighters aren't good enough to win any of the 3 main belts but Warren has had plenty fighters under his belt who he has held back, for his own financial gain.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:20 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:I hope Ricky Hatton gets his finger out and his promoting takes off, we need a new promoter in this country who is in it for the fans, Ricky could be the man, not to milk titles and fill his own pocket. I understand a lot of British fighters aren't good enough to win any of the 3 main belts but Warren has had plenty fighters under his belt who he has held back, for his own financial gain.

Kell Brook was a strange one for me. His style is pure PPV surely old fish eyes could have got him a shot at Senchenko or Zaveck?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Brook is a great fighter to watch. He needs to start stepping up though as he seems to have got left a bit behind compared to Burns and Clev with Warren

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:25 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:I hope Ricky Hatton gets his finger out and his promoting takes off, we need a new promoter in this country who is in it for the fans, Ricky could be the man, not to milk titles and fill his own pocket. I understand a lot of British fighters aren't good enough to win any of the 3 main belts but Warren has had plenty fighters under his belt who he has held back, for his own financial gain.

Kell Brook was a strange one for me. His style is pure PPV surely old fish eyes could have got him a shot at Senchenko or Zaveck?

I hope he starts moving Kell along, i feel Brook has the ability to reach world level given the right fights but has been far too inactive for me, Warren needs to make a move with him now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:29 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

I hope he starts moving Kell along, i feel Brook has the ability to reach world level given the right fights but has been far too inactive for me, Warren needs to make a move with him now.

Surely 'given the right fights' is exactly the thing no-one wants?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:30 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

He's with matchroom now and the N'Dou fight was a step in the right direction. Eddie Hearn has mentioned that GBP would be interesting in putting Kell on the card of one their big shows in the US. I can see a fight with Malignaggi down the line.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:31 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Surely 'given the right fights' is exactly the thing no-one wants?

Sorry i meant more along the lines of his inactivity, the last thing i want is an easy road to the WBO in time for milking.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:32 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

He's with matchroom now and the N'Dou fight was a step in the right direction. Eddie Hearn has mentioned that GBP would be interesting in putting Kell on the card of one their big shows in the US. I can see a fight with Malignaggi down the line.

Didn't know that Kev, that's good, probably why his career has started moving again.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:34 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Didn't know that Kev, that's good, probably why his career has started moving again.

That's why he hadn't fought until July this year he had a contract dispute with old fish eyes. Basically Kell wouldn't sign a new deal with Warren so Warren left him out in the cold until his contract was up in May I think.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next