The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What now for Burns?

+12
Valero's Conscience
eddyfightfan
AlexHuckerby
HumanWindmill
captain carrantuohil
6oldenbhoy
licence_007
Imperial Ghosty
Scottrf
Dass
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
TopHat24/7
16 posters

Go down

What now for Burns? Empty What now for Burns?

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 16 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm

Disappointing night for Burns really, where does he go from here? Quickly line up another fight so all his training isn't wasted and he can put on a show to tempt Broner into a unification or may Fana out of Africa?

If Fana's reputation is a little tarnished now following his IBF stripping maybe go for Mendez?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

What now for Burns? Empty Re: What now for Burns?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm

Mendez is due to fight someone for the vacant IBF title and Diego Magaleno is being lined up to fight the winner of that. Broner won't come over here to fight him but Burns loses that fight he might earn a fair bit though. Fana is a non fight he offers Burns nothing now I don't know why Burns wants that fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:21 am

There's a couple fights out in Japan but he'd have to travel for them.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:23 am

They won't happen Uchiyama and Ao are the champs over their and they won't leave Japan. The best he can hope for is a hood pay day and a defeat from Broner. It's a very weak weight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:25 am

he has to travel for any decent fights which is a bit sad...though it'd be good to see him do it!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:28 am

PBK I think they might take the fight if Burns said he would travel but they won't leave Japan.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:28 am

I wouldn't like to see him travel to Japan he doesn't have the power to get a stoppage and wouldn't get a decision.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:30 am

How did he not know Fana had been stripped?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:31 am

Ao and Uchiyama would fight him in Japan because they know they would get the decision.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:31 am

Problem Burns has is to get the really big payday he's gonna have to travel somewhere, its either that or fight average opponents at home till he has a off night and loses.

At least traveling even if it losing would raise his profile somewhat, at the moment he's barely known in Scotland which is a travesty.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:34 am

Scottrf wrote:How did he not know Fana had been stripped?

He has said in the past he isn't a big boxing fan and doesn't follow the sport. He doesn't even watch his opponents before he faces them which I find stupid.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:34 am

how long before Gamboa moves up and blows the entire division away tho?? 4lb is not a big jump IMO and he can do it without losing his handspeed. his accuracy and power will be unchanged.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:35 am

Dass wrote:Problem Burns has is to get the really big payday he's gonna have to travel somewhere, its either that or fight average opponents at home till he has a off night and loses.

At least traveling even if it losing would raise his profile somewhat, at the moment he's barely known in Scotland which is a travesty.

Their isn't a big boxing fan base in Scotland their a bit obsessed up here with to certain football teams. Andy Murray at Wimbledon takes a back seat to the old firms pre season preparation.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:15 am

Can't imagine Ao or Uchimaya fighting him, he doesn't offer them anything

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:24 am

Would offer them a belt if he traveled Ghosty thats about it and its why I'd see them taking the fight.

Burns has to make a decision if he wants to pick up easy paychecks at home or try and push on with his career. To do that he will need to go on the road for a while and will most likely get some L's alone the way.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:27 am

They're japanese Dass they don't recognise the WBO as an official world title

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:31 am

I'd forgotten about that Ghosty Whistle

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 2:06 am

Gotta agree that boxing in Scotland is really fighting on the backfoot at the moment. Out of all my friends (a fair number before any smart ass tries his hand) maybe 3/4 of us enjoy watching it every weekend. A shame really, I think Ricky is criminally underrated.

On this path though, why does he need to leave Scotland, why can't any of the others fight elsewhere? Seems a British attitude to denigrate champiions for not going abroad when the opponent won't reciprocate the move anyway.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 17 Jul 2011, 2:13 am

I'd love the other fighters to come to Ricky, would make for some great nights out in Glasgow.

Yet if Ricky truly wants to make a name for himself due to his low fan base he will need to travel to raise his profile at some stage. I just don't see to many options for Ricky.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:27 am

prettyboykev wrote:
Scottrf wrote:How did he not know Fana had been stripped?

He has said in the past he isn't a big boxing fan and doesn't follow the sport. He doesn't even watch his opponents before he faces them which I find stupid.

Apologies to Burns. He was talking about the Ring belt, and as they are #1 and #2 that would be up for grabs.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:29 pm

djrogo wrote:EDITED BECAUSE OFFENDING POST HAS BEEN REMOVED

Great point there...
Any other anti-catholic views you would like to share?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:30 pm

Not sure that this is quite the place for sectarianism and that kind of nonsense - I'm sure that there is a bigot.com site for people with your kind of bent.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:31 pm

Can one of the moderators delete this comment, not really got any place on this forum.

Last edited by Dass on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:36 pm

Dass wrote:
djrogo wrote:EDITED BECAUSE OFFENDING POST HAS BEEN REMOVED

Can one of the moderators delete this comment, not really got any place on this forum.

Done, Dass.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:39 pm

Just the 3 posts quoting it then Very Happy

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:40 pm

Scottrf wrote:Just the 3 posts quoting it then Very Happy

Can't do it all at once, mate. Only Manny could do that.................................

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

Please forgive me Windy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

Scottrf wrote:Please forgive me Windy.

Well, alright then Scott, but only because you asked so nicely.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 17 Jul 2011, 8:13 pm

Think he has a decent chance in Japan imo.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm

i dont know how comfortable he is at the weight, but there arent really many good fights for him, he should look at changing weights, even if he unified the division he wouldnt get a huge amount of credit for it as the division is poor, and populated with boxers who dont get much coverage over here.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:They're japanese Dass they don't recognise the WBO as an official world title

Is this true? If so then fair play!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

First thing he should do is put those shorts in the bin and get a more manly colour.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

If Marquez is stripped by the WBO and Burns moves up he can fight Mitchell for the vacant title, as Burns would automatically be number 1 contender having vacated the super feather title as a champion and Mitchell will be top 10 having won the WBO inter-continental title, that is a superb fight for both guys.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Good call Young-Towers. Can only see a Mitchell win there though, probably in the same style he beat Murray on. Should be a cracker though, i really like Burns work ethic in the ring.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

Don't see Burns moving up, to be honest. At least not until he's practically having to chop off an arm to make 130 lb, anyway. Too many straightforward defences and, therefore, guaranteed pay days down at Super-Featherweight for that to be happening. If Burns moves up to Lightweight, he's just another fighter as far as I'm concerned. Much more viable for him and Warren to stay in the Super-Featherweight division which is seriously bereft of genuinely top fighters.

To be honest, any fight other than Fana now for Burns will be a major disappointment. He's had his little 'honeymoon period' as champion, now it's time to get cracking with some proper fights. People talk about how he deserves more coverage and attention, but when his three defences have consisted of Evensen, Laryea and Cook, how much sympathy can you have? Fana, or at a stretch Broner.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:They're japanese Dass they don't recognise the WBO as an official world title

Is this true? If so then fair play!

They only recognise the WBC and WBA

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Don't see Burns moving up, to be honest. At least not until he's practically having to chop off an arm to make 130 lb, anyway. Too many straightforward defences and, therefore, guaranteed pay days down at Super-Featherweight for that to be happening. If Burns moves up to Lightweight, he's just another fighter as far as I'm concerned. Much more viable for him and Warren to stay in the Super-Featherweight division which is seriously bereft of genuinely top fighters.

To be honest, any fight other than Fana now for Burns will be a major disappointment. He's had his little 'honeymoon period' as champion, now it's time to get cracking with some proper fights. People talk about how he deserves more coverage and attention, but when his three defences have consisted of Evensen, Laryea and Cook, how much sympathy can you have? Fana, or at a stretch Broner.

That's what i'm saying about him moving up, Fana was stripped apparently, the fight could be made but i admit it's wishful thinking as well, i think Mitchell wins although i rate Burns, i just think Kevin is the better fighter in every department, although Burns has mentioned moving up, they are good mates and sparred together a few months ago.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Don't see Burns moving up, to be honest. At least not until he's practically having to chop off an arm to make 130 lb, anyway. Too many straightforward defences and, therefore, guaranteed pay days down at Super-Featherweight for that to be happening. If Burns moves up to Lightweight, he's just another fighter as far as I'm concerned. Much more viable for him and Warren to stay in the Super-Featherweight division which is seriously bereft of genuinely top fighters.

Chris his honeymoon period as champ has killed his fan base. e packed out the Kelvin Hall for the Martinez fight. I was their it was a great night and he had generated a real buzz around him. Frank moved him to a bigger arena in Braehead just outside of Glasgow that is double the size of the Kelvn Hall but failed to get an opponent that caught the public's imagination with Evenson and Laryea. He ended up in a half full hall with poor opponents. Fana won't leave Africa for Burns and I wouldn't advise Ricky to go over their. I would like t see him fight Martinez again the first one was a great fight so you would have no problem getting the public to watch it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 18 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

Fana might leave Africa for a title fight, he's fought in Britain once before in his career and also traveled to the US as well.

Now if he still had his belt then it may be a different story where he would expect Burns to come to him. In the end though Burns will need to travel if its the next fight or the one after, he's just not got the profile yet to attract fighters to him.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down