The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC

+7
Irish Londoner
Biltong
Taylorman
robbo277
Notch
Gibson
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
11 posters

Go down

Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC Empty Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 am

Now as we all know, the Bookies aren't always right (or no-one would bother betting). But they generally make a profit, by gauging (a) what they think the probabillities of an event happening are and (b) how they expect punters to bet. So with the RWC only 8 or 9 weeks away I thought I'd have a look at how the bookmakers think things will turn out. So I've taken averaged odds from a number of bookmakers and converted them to probabilities for suggesting where the bookies expect teams to finish.

Probabilities are for the stage at which a team exits - eg "Group Stage" is the probability of a team not reaching the quarter finals, and so on.
Country Group Stage Quarter-Final Semi-Final Runner-Up Winner
Argentina 44.8% 47.1% 5.5% 1.8% 0.7%
Australia 0.5% 11.0% 33.1% 35.5% 19.9%
England 6.3% 37.8% 31.5% 15.8% 8.6%
France 2.0% 45.1% 31.3% 15.6% 6.0%
Ireland 8.0% 62.6% 19.2% 7.4% 2.8%
Italy 86.1% 10.8% 2.5% 0.5% 0.1%
New Zealand 0.4% 5.2% 21.9% 17.9% 54.7%
Scotland 46.6% 46.6% 4.4% 1.8% 0.5%
South Africa 0.7% 17.1% 59.2% 10.2% 12.8%
Wales 16.3% 60.6% 17.8% 3.8% 1.5%

Some interesting outcomes there - South Africa rated more likely to win than finish second, presumeably because (if results go with seeding) they're likely to meet NZ in the semi-final then Australia in the final. The draw also makes Australia strong second favourite and England 4th favourite. Argentina are marginally favoured over Scotland to get out of their pool, which is interesting - possibly bookies fishing for bets on Argentina there. And the bookies think there's only 1 chance in 6 that Wales won't get out of their pool. Ireland need to beat Australia in their pool to avoid being on the SA/NZ side of the draw which pushes down their favouritism.

Comparing those odds with what 606V2 posters think here, https://www.606v2.com/t4284p50-who-is-going-to-win-the-rugby-world-cup#277227 (though a first-past-the-post vote result and a probability aren't really directly comparable), it look like 606V2ers are awfully bullish on Ireland's prospects, and have rather forgotten South Africa compared to the bookmakers. Though while researching I did find 1 bookmaker offering 16/1 on them going out in the quarters and just 8/11 to win - I suspect someone's pasted numbers in the wrong boxes.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC Empty Re: Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC

Post by Gibson Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:28 am

Senior SAS programming. Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC 3610695981

I like it. Like what it shows. Bookies don't mess about. The major % shift, as teams progress, as compared to their odds in the group. That's where the bookies make their real money. On blind national faith. And praying NZ lose, to really clean up.

Anyone who thinks SA wont make a SF is mad. And if they made the Final - they'd win it.

But, Oz will. Vs the AB's.

In my humble and righteous opinion.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC Empty Re: Statisticians' corner - Bookmaker's implied probabilities for the RWC

Post by Notch Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 am

Yeah, I don't think us Irish really think we're contenders though? Despite the 606v2 poll!

It is gratifying that we're sixth favourite to win though. Take that, 14 other teams.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 pm

I think it's more interesting to look at the cumulative totals. For England, we have:

England
Chance of reaching the quarter-finals: 93.7%
Chance of reaching the semi-finals: 55.9%
Chance of reaching the final: 24.4%
Chance of winning: 8.6%

The same can be done for any nation, but it suggests that England are hot favourites to make the quarter-finals, a better than evens chance of making the semi-finals, however we would be underdogs from there. About in line with what most rational England fans expect.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:20 pm

"but it suggests that England are hot favourites to make the quarter-finals"

huh?

At 0.4% exit in pool play NZ are faves to get 1/4's followed by Oz, SA and France.

Youve seen something I havnt. Why cumulative?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Taylorman wrote:"but it suggests that England are hot favourites to make the quarter-finals"

huh?

At 0.4% exit in pool play NZ are faves to get 1/4's followed by Oz, SA and France.

I think he means hot favourites out of their pool.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Well the bookies make our chances 1 in 4 of beating the All Blacks, I'll take that.

I would have thought our chances would be 1 in 10 in New Zealand.

So NZ punters there is a guarantee of money for you to make.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Just remember that the bookies odds are not just an indicator of where they think the results will go; they can also be a reflection of where punters are putting their money, therefore England will be shorter priced than other nations simply becuase a lot of punters in the English market will put some money on Egnland, possibly more out of sentiment than anything, whereas a serious punt would be on NZ rather than SA reflecting the probable outcome, so SA are slightly further out in the betting.

This is why at every soccer World Cup England are among the favourites with the bookies (as trumpeted in the tabloids/Talksport/Sky Sports) however the odds actually reflect the bookies protectiing their position rather than the statistical odds.

IL

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Kiwi Kiwi devil , liking the analysis there OK

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Some interesting figures there Kiwi. OK

Like Ireland are the most likely to go out at the QF's despite not playing NZ....

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Mickado, defo some anomalies tho - Argentina less likely to go out at the group stage than Scotland, but more likely to lose their quarter-final (if they progress) than Scotland (likely against the All Blacks!)

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:22 pm

I think it's fairly safe to say that if Scotland or Argentina have to face the ABs in the QF, the likelihood of them getting knocked out should be more like 90%.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 pm

So Scotland are just as likely to go out at the group stages as they are to go out in the QF? I’m reading that as 50/50 that they make it out, if the odds are longer than ½ for them to qualify then that’s a good bet right? or is the tail wagging the dog in my calculations?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Nah, think you've got it right, Micakdo Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Mickado wrote:So Scotland are just as likely to go out at the group stages as they are to go out in the QF? I’m reading that as 50/50 that they make it out, if the odds are longer than ½ for them to qualify then that’s a good bet right? or is the tail wagging the dog in my calculations?

It's slightly better than 50:50 that they make it out - the quarter final odds are just the probabillity that they'll go out in the quarters (which is the same chance as they'll go out in the group). There's a 53.4% chance thay'll go further than the group stages once you add on the chance of going out in the semis, as runner up or as winners.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Taylorman wrote:"but it suggests that England are hot favourites to make the quarter-finals"

huh?

As biltongbek suggested, I meant England were hot favourites to make the quarter-finals from Pool B. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear.

Kiwireddevil wrote:
Mickado wrote:So Scotland are just as likely to go out at the group stages as they are to go out in the QF? I’m reading that as 50/50 that they make it out, if the odds are longer than ½ for them to qualify then that’s a good bet right? or is the tail wagging the dog in my calculations?

It's slightly better than 50:50 that they make it out - the quarter final odds are just the probabillity that they'll go out in the quarters (which is the same chance as they'll go out in the group). There's a 53.4% chance thay'll go further than the group stages once you add on the chance of going out in the semis, as runner up or as winners.

That's why cumulative. So you can see the chances of making each stage, rather than the "point of exit". If you wanted to see the four "most likely" to make the semi-finals, you should look at the cumulative table, rather than the point of exit table.

Eg, France, England, Australia and South Africa are more likely to go out in the semi-final than New Zealand, does that mean they are more likely to make the semi-finals than New Zealand? No, it doesn't, because New Zealand have a 94.5% of making the semi-finals or better, so you can almost pencil them in to the semi-finals right now.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 am

You missed an extra cloumn or bookies odds on choking in each round which throws it all into confusion. sorry kiwi could not help a wee joke

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down