The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Scottish sign up 7 on loan stars

+12
Bathman_in_London
Bathite
SGD prop
HammerofThunor
mickyt
Cumbrian
Ozzy3213
propdavid_london
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
funnyExiledScot
beshocked
Adam D
16 posters

Go down

London Scottish sign up 7 on loan stars Empty London Scottish sign up 7 on loan stars

Post by Adam D Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:02 am

London Scottish have received a massive boast after Wasps agreed to loan out seven of their academy prospects, including England Under-20s star Joe Launchbury.

The 20-year-old lock was named as the player of the tournament at the Junior World Championships, with England having been edged out in the final.

Launchbury will be joined at Scottish by Wasps team-mates Elliot Daly, Jonah Holmes, Sam Jones, Mitchel Tamiau, Lewis Thiede and Billy Vunipola.

The players will continue to train with Wasps but play for the ambitious Championship new-boys.

Fellow academy players Will Robinson, Nathan Morris, Chris Elder and Sam Northcote Green will also combine training with Wasps and playing out on loan.

Robinson and Morris have agreed dual registration deals with Rosslyn Park, while Elder is heading to Henley Hawks and Northcote Green will play for Blaydon.

Source - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12321_7046958,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

London Scottish sign up 7 on loan stars Empty Re: London Scottish sign up 7 on loan stars

Post by beshocked Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:15 am

A massive boast? Sloppy spelling by Sky as usual.

Good for London Scottish though.

Leicester have a deal with Nottingham and Saracens have a deal with Bedford.

Are there any other sides who are currently doing dual signings?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

London Scottish sign up 7 on loan stars Empty Re: London Scottish sign up 7 on loan stars

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:15 am

That is a massive boost to LS. Some top quality talent there. As well as Launchbury, Vunipola is a physical lump as well.

I'm actually quite surprised to see Wasps loan out Launchbury.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

Hallelujah - praise be to the great god of rugby!! Very Happy Yahoo randy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

beshocked wrote:A massive boast? Sloppy spelling by Sky as usual.

Quins with Esher

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

They'ev also appointed a new Strength and Conditioning coach, Simon Elkinson from Esher

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

propdavid_london wrote:
beshocked wrote:A massive boast? Sloppy spelling by Sky as usual.

Quins with Esher

London Irish with London Welsh.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

Ok so in summary:

Leicester with Nottingham
Wasps with London Scottish
Quins with Esher
Saracens with Bedford
London Irish with London Welsh

Any others?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

Exe with Plymouth and the Pirates

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Leicester with Newcastle Crying or Very sad

Newcastle use the local clubs like Blaydon and Tyndale, to supply 'A' League players.

Leeds use Otley I believe.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

Northampton use Coventry and Cambridge:

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/7386.php
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

Is there much logic in them remaining at Wasps from a training point of view?

I guess from a point of view in terms of building up their physicality etc.

But in terms of running plays, set pieces etc. what way should that be done? should they not be down in LS for that?
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

I've heard some championship fans aren't so keen because they're at the whim of the premiership clubs. They come to rely on these kids who can then be pulled at the last minute (don't know how much notice is needed). The championship is becoming a feeder league for the premiership. Is that what we want?

Since I'm not a fan of any particular championship side I prefer the benefit to the players involved.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Hammerofthunor I can understand that point of view but there is another side to the coin.

These championship clubs will have the brightest young prospects in the UK playing for them. It improves the quality of the championship. It is for the benefit of English rugby as a whole. If it attracts people to watch more of the championship then why not? As long as it doesn't get too out of hand I don't see the problem. It will make the transition to AP level easier.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

Back to the OP in a very selfish sort of way just a shame not to see some Scots being picked up as well. I do understand that they need a percentage of English qualified to get the money off the RFU, and it is great they seem to have some great prospects playing there to increase interest and improve their chances of doing well next year

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:49 pm

Bath have had arrangements with Bedford in the past, not sure if it is used anymore, but it was the closest championship side until Bristol got relegated.

Recently, we have sent players on loan to the Scarlets and this year, we have loaned out some youngsters to Bristol.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

Bathite wrote:Bath have had arrangements with Bedford in the past, not sure if it is used anymore, but it was the closest championship side until Bristol got relegated.

Recently, we have sent players on loan to the Scarlets and this year, we have loaned out some youngsters to Bristol.

Josh Ovens
Matt Keyte
Ollie Woodburn
Billy Moss (Can't see him on the Bris website, but he was there last year.)

I expected Ovens to be in the Bath first team squad this year, I suppose the back-row down at the Rec is getting a bit congested.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

Yeah i was a little surprised with Ovens, especially as we loose Moody and maybe Louw to the WC.

But realistically

Moody
Louw
Taylor
Skirving
Fearns
Mercer
Ovens

Glad he has gone on loan though, too good to be wasted in the A league.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

Oh and it wasn't Bedford, it was Newbury! My mistake

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

I think Moss is back with Bath. Can't remember where I saw that though.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:30 am

One final signing for Scottish before the season starts - Mike Adamson, former Scotland 7s regular: Mike Adamson - he's joined as a utility back OK

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:57 am

Some good loan signings for London Scottish there, I'm surpirsed about Launchbury, I thought he would have been getting 1st team action this season.

Cumbrian, Billy Moss has gone to London Welsh:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14292887.stm

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm

Yeah, it doesn't look like the Dai Young regime is going to be that big on youth, which is a shame.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:09 am

HOWWWWEEEELLLLLLLLSSSSYYYY!!!!!

A lot of the dual registration stuff has more to do with the decline of the English A League owing to the salary cap. It is felt that, rather than kicking their heels most weekends, it is better for the Prem Academy guys to get some 1st XV game time at a competitive level.

Wasps have good ex player links with L. Welsh (Greening) and L. Scottish (Logan). Loaning players to these teams, and also players signing for these teams, has been going on for a while now.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:Some good loan signings for London Scottish there, I'm surpirsed about Launchbury, I thought he would have been getting 1st team action this season.

Cumbrian, Billy Moss has gone to London Welsh:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14292887.stm

Ah right, it's probably going to be a big season for him. I'm not going to write him off completely because he is still young for a prop, but Bath's front row resources have been bolstered. Moss could be squeezed out of the squad because I'm expecting a big year from Nathan Catt and Charlie Beech ( I said that, this time last year too mind and injuries got in the way).

I can't believe Moss is only 23, he's looked a lot older whenever I've seen him around Bath, his time in the front row union has obviously been hard!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

I can't believe Moss is only 23, he's looked a lot older whenever I've seen him around Bath, his time in the front row union has obviously been hard!

I've heard that when a scrum is awarded and the teams come together the density of that moment in space/time is compressed and you get a mini-wormwhole effect, where time at the densest part (front row) runs faster than that experienced by everybody else, so props/hookers always look older.

However, as we know, matter cannot be destroyed, so when the ball is out, and the scrum starts to break up, there is a whiplash effect in time, and as the front row are always the last to leave, they get the full brunt of this and get extra time given back, so while they look older, their careers can go on much longer than the rest of the pack.

Fact.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

I'm surpirsed about Launchbury, I thought he would have been getting 1st team action this season.

I would presume that the dual reg has been set up so that he will definitley play first team rugby every week rather than as part of the rotation at Wasps. As a dual reg player Wasps can still bring him in and use him whenever they need to.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down