The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Boxing - Is the future bright?

+3
thorpy17
BALTIMORA
Young_Towzer
7 posters

Go down

British Boxing - Is the future bright? Empty British Boxing - Is the future bright?

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:50 pm

Tyson Fury and Derek Chisora, the best 2 heavyweights in the country face off on saturday night for the BBBofC British heavyweight title, and commonwealth title, and are both unbeaten, it's a genuine grudge match and should be a cracker. John Murray and Kevin Mitchell were very respectful of each other and served up a cracker in Liverpool on saturday, it was especially refreshing to see them talk so respectfully about each other during the build up and shake hands, when you look at David Haye saying he's gonna do everything and use vile words then is cautious with a bum like Audley and runs like Usain Bolt from Wlad, but supposedly has a broken toe, like John Murray said ''If he had a broken toe, he done a lot of running about''. Then the two went toe-to-toe during the fight and not ran with a jab moving about. Then we have Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew set to meet for the WBO title by the end of the year, Darren Barker set for a crack at p4p' and middleweight king Sergio Martinez, Matthew Macklin's rematch with Felix Sturm to look forward to. Stuart Hall and Jamie McDonnell provide another cracker at domestic and european level, while James DeGale has a European title fight in September, imo the sport is booming with our fighters domestically and at world level.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

British Boxing - Is the future bright? Empty Re: British Boxing - Is the future bright?

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:55 pm

Tsk, you're as bad as Truss with your nationalism... Smile

Seriously though, yeah, British boxing's not looking too bad at the moment. Good mix of world level guys, up-and-comers and decent domestic guys.

Not sure why you're so obsessed with Haye though. Whether or not his toe affected his performance, it was clearly swollen after the fight, so I don't see why you have to question that claim so often.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

British Boxing - Is the future bright? Empty Re: British Boxing - Is the future bright?

Post by thorpy17 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:57 pm

It is looking bright you are right, kell brook is another very talented fighter on the verge of a world title shot and you can add David Price to Heavyweights.

In the next couple of years a few of our fighters should be getting their shots on the world stage and I hope most of them can succeed and make a big impression.

Do you see a Groves and Degale rematch if Degale wins the European belt?

thorpy17

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:02 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Tsk, you're as bad as Truss with your nationalism... Smile

Seriously though, yeah, British boxing's not looking too bad at the moment. Good mix of world level guys, up-and-comers and decent domestic guys.

Not sure why you're so obsessed with Haye though. Whether or not his toe affected his performance, it was clearly swollen after the fight, so I don't see why you have to question that claim so often.
I'm not obsessed at all Balti, it just cheeses me off when he draws american attention to our sport in a bad light, rafael ripped him, as did arreola about the toe, the americans were laughing there heads off at that performance, then we get a fight on saturday that restored my faith in the sport, a toe to toe war after nothing but respect, the sport is meant to be respectful, i don't enjoy hearing i'm gonna violate him, damage him in later life, etc, not many do, Murray and Mitchell arent as good but boy they are true to there word of a tear up unlike some eh, he's never had a tear up in his life.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

thorpy17 wrote:It is looking bright you are right, kell brook is another very talented fighter on the verge of a world title shot and you can add David Price to Heavyweights.

In the next couple of years a few of our fighters should be getting their shots on the world stage and I hope most of them can succeed and make a big impression.

Do you see a Groves and Degale rematch if Degale wins the European belt?
They are both good fighters, but i just focused on our fighters coming up, everyone knows i think Brook would destroy Khan, so i do rate him, Price looks good but robotic. Not sure about a rematch, DeGale can still beat him imo and is probably the more talented, you can't take nothing away from Groves though he outthought and outfought James, and looked faster and the more clever, but he might swerve a rematch, i wouldn't blame him either, he holds 2 wins over James which he could use to good effect in the future with regards to purses.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

Groves is promising and still has only had 13 fights
Degale altho a tw** is the same
Clev might develop
Gavin might if he stops eating pies and trains
Mitchell looks good
Khan is going to be around for a while

Few other's too, looks good

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

But no-one takes any of the bluster seriously, no matter who says it. Haye acted like a pratt, but you cannot deny that he raised awareness of the sport.

As for tear-ups; I like to watch them just like you do, but if a fighter can avoid them and still win, then that's a sign of skill surely?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Groves is promising and still has only had 13 fights
Clev might develop
Mitchell looks good

Gavin eats trains?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:But no-one takes any of the bluster seriously, no matter who says it. Haye acted like a pratt, but you cannot deny that he raised awareness of the sport.

As for tear-ups; I like to watch them just like you do, but if a fighter can avoid them and still win, then that's a sign of skill surely?
They do though Balti, it wound a lot of respected reporters up did you not listen to the radio build up, there's no need for it, he is skillful but a pratt of a bloke, who frankly i think it's brilliant to see without a title and forced to take a 'slave contract' as he says if he wants a fight with either brother, that just sums his ego up, he wants the same pay for another fight after being taken to school. I'll miss Calzaghe, Hatton a lot more than him when he retires, i'm praying he'll retire in october, doubt it though.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Groves is promising and still has only had 13 fights
Clev might develop
Mitchell looks good

I'm worried about Frankie now after saturday though i gotta be honest, i've never seen a more one dimensional, slow, poor technical fighter force such a close fight with a talented guy like that, something's up, i think he'll leave Farnell soon as well, ie Bellew. He'll probably go with Joe Gallagher if so, but he should go with Jimmy Tibbs imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

Khan and Brook are the two who could really shine on the world stage like Hatton did because they fight in an exciting way, the others could make a name for themselves in this country and could become champions at some stage but can't see a prolonged level of success for any of them. Groves and Degale seem to want to run before they can walk, should both slow down a bit and work on their games before looking to step up, the pair of them make too many errors at the moment.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:57 pm

The future is looking good for British boxing but as long as we don't have fights on free to air TV I think we may never see it be as popular as it once was.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:20 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Khan and Brook are the two who could really shine on the world stage like Hatton did because they fight in an exciting way, the others could make a name for themselves in this country and could become champions at some stage but can't see a prolonged level of success for any of them. Groves and Degale seem to want to run before they can walk, should both slow down a bit and work on their games before looking to step up, the pair of them make too many errors at the moment.
Brook HAS to step up though

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Khan and Brook are the two who could really shine on the world stage like Hatton did because they fight in an exciting way, the others could make a name for themselves in this country and could become champions at some stage but can't see a prolonged level of success for any of them. Groves and Degale seem to want to run before they can walk, should both slow down a bit and work on their games before looking to step up, the pair of them make too many errors at the moment.
Brook HAS to step up though

N'Dou was a step in the right direction. Under matchroom I can see him making big strides I think he will have another 2 fights this year.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

No the future is orange...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No the future is orange...

Half of Glasgow would not be happy about that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down