The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: RBC Canadian Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
beeman
Davie
NedB-H
venice1
princedracula
McLaren
goldwolf
Lairdy
Skydriver
Shotrock
puligny
kwinigolfer
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: RBC Canadian Open: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: RBC Canadian Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

1).To this long-time sports fan(atic), Darren Clarke's win was the best moment in sport for at least twenty years. Just as Team Europe did, in my all-time fave 1987 Ryder Cup victory at Muirfield Village, Darren Clarke succeeded in outplaying and outthinking the opposition, grabbed a lead and held the advantage for most of two full days. guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

2).9th, 38th, 38th, 38th, 44th, 48th, 54th, 70th, 72nd and worse.
No, not Portsmouth F.C.'s finishes in the Football League during its 1950's and 1960's descent from 1940's glory. But the top English pro finishers on home turf in The Open. Congratulations to Simon Dyson, second consecutive Major top twelve finish.

3).No word of PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem's comments after DC's triumph, probably not fit to be tweeted. But Timmy must surely be under increasing pressure to open up opportunities on the PGA Tour to non-members. I wasn't sure that Chubby Chandler hadn't overplayed his hand in dealing with the Tour last winter, but perhaps he was the only one who knew the quality of the cards he was holding, trumps in every tournament. Over to you Mr.Commissioner.
(The rumour since Rory's US Open victory had been that "affiliate members" with certain pre-defined qualifications might be permitted to play up to twelve PGA Tour events, regardless of whether they had prior Tour membership or not. If such membership came without FedEx Play-Off status, I think even the most anti-"international"-player among the Tour's rank and file might go for that.)

4).Congrat's to Thomas Bjorn for earning a return trip to the 2012 Masters, and to Messrs Bjorn, Campbell, Kim, Fowler, Love, Jacquelin and Dyson for earning trips to Lytham next July for which they might otherwise not have been qualified.

5).Nice to see Davis Love prominent among those hanging round to congratulate DC, bet DLIII loved every moment of it. But would like to have seen Rory there also. Perhaps he was, but perhaps he was playing tennis with young Caroline? "Your Major for my Number One"? Or vice versa??

6).Eight time zones to the west of the Kent coast, and light years culturally from the Mississippi site of last week's Viking Classic won by Chris Kirk - most likely the first win of many - the PGA Tour lands in Vancouver, BC, at Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club. One hundred years old, Shaughnessy has hosted the RBC Canadian Open four times before, most recently in 2005 when Mark Calcavecchia was the winner. Calc will be spending much of this week in the pubs of Greater London, where Walton Heath hosts the Senior Open Championship, but Ben Crane and Ryan Moore (who were joint runners up), Kelly, Ames, Atwal, Kuchar, Pernice and Baird survive from the 2005 top ten.

7).Kudos to Messrs Campbell, Casey, Fowler, Frazar, Furyk, Kim, Levin, Moore, Oosthuizen, Schwartzel and Van Pelt for playing Sunday at RStG and making the long trek. In a surprising tactical move, Donald, Els, Mahan and some others led a breakaway from Kent last Friday and will presumably have got a jump on coping with jet lag.

8).And Notah Begay has announced that Tiger Woods will be playing on August 31st at Turning Stone in the Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge. While Tiger's pr is seemingly run by the same people who advise Rupert Murdoch, there has been no official tweet from Florida confirming this date; however, it would be surpising for Tiger to play at Turning Stone if he didn't earlier compete in the Bridgestone and the PGA Championship, at the very least. (If Tiger were to miss Bridgestone and the PGA, he would presumably be foregoing any opportunity to qualify for the FedEx Play-Offs.)

9).Congratulations to Inverness's Russell Knox, winner of the Nationwide tournament in Ohio; Knox is now 5th in the N'wide moneylist (top 25 earn PGA Tour cards for 2012), and has risen to a world ranking of 316. Though he is listed on the owgr site as American, Knox joins a group of other promising young Scots; Laird, Ramsay, Jamieson, Whiteford and some I've undoubtedly missed.

10).Lastly, this week's Senior Open Championship will provide another litmus test as to the quality of European Senior Golf as opposed to it's American counterparts. Great to see this Championship growing stronger by the year, but wouldn't it be nice to see it return to Northern Ireland as a test drive for an Open Championship?

PS: Public Service warning. Don't know if any of you have had to renew your British Passport recently but what a shambles it is in the USA. Sent my application in eight weeks ago, my credit card was charged over two weeks ago, and still nothing. No way available to monitor or expedite it as the telephone help line one is offered hangs up after five minutes, and the email help contact directs one to the telephone help line. A friend of mine in England is experiencing similar difficulties. Meanwhile, I am unable to travel fifty miles north of here. Stranded!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: RBC Canadian Open: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: RBC Canadian Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by puligny Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

Kwini - who wouldn't want to play in Vancouver?
Darren was brilliant - I sat through the afternoon hoping he wouldn't let it slip, worrying that Phil was on fire, thinking Dustin suddenly looked dangerous, and then it was over with a comfortable stroll up 18! I hope it convinces Lee W that it is still all there in front of him!
Slight tangent from the passport - but are US immigration officials the most unfriendly people on earth?

puligny

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: RBC Canadian Open: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: RBC Canadian Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

Kwini - Outstanding post as usual. Clarke did make it look easy -- but we all know how difficult that really was. Contenders falling by the wayside on Sunday afternoon, pre tournament favorites Westy and Luke long gone from weekend play. One of my top tournaments (but I'll always prefer Tiger's romp in Georgia in 97).

Tiger at Turning Stone? Remember Notah was one of his few true friends when Tiger was being left for the (public opinion) dead. It just may happen, but I wouldn't bank on it.

A good friend of mine walked with Bobby Clampett at the Senior Open Championship qualifier at Betchworth Park on Monday. Sadly, no Bobby at Walton Heath. Speaking of which, are they planning to play the New or Old or combination? Can't wait to see it on TV. A heathland classic from my limited experience.

If Finchem has half a brain, he'll work up a plan to get more of the top Euros over here whenever they want to play. Maybe allow appearance fees like they do over there?

Fowler showed me something this past weekend. Played well in some very challenging conditions. I don't think he's far from victory; hoping he can do it this year.

Old Forge countdown underway at the house ...

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

Hi puligny,
My education is incomplete; never been to Vancouver, just the extreme eastern part of BC, and missed out so far on the US North-West also. Not good enough.
Yup, DC was in control throughout, though the eagle on #7 was crucial - made Phil and Dustin press. Big shock for Lee's system methinks.
You're right about US immigration officialdom, Philadelphia with the worst reputation round here, just brutal. Not so bad for me now with my green card, but still epitome of obstructive bureaucracy. Haven't anything good to say about GB right now though!

Thanks Shotrock,
I think we have an Adirondack weekend in our future at Piseco in a few weeks, plus off to Lake Placid in August. Love it!

I've always thought that Ray Halbritter assumed he could use NB to lure Tiger for the Turning Stone tournament. Played a skins game there a year or two ago, but when it became obvious TS couldn't get a Tiger-friendly date, he pulled the plug.
Fowler was superb last week. thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:25 pm

Kwini - Vancouver is a bit like Portsmouth (or so my wife - Pompey girl makes out!) It is seriously good!!!
Sooner or later there will be a World Tour - possibly accelerated by China/Korea etc, and Timmy needs to cotton on or he will be accused of missing the boat and reducing options for US players and more importantly sponsors?
Fowler was very classy, as was Dustin. Both in terms of golf and attitude.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

Hi - don't want to divert attention from the PGA event, but since you mentioned it, I'm going to the Senior Open @ Walton Heath on Sat (effectively got a free ticket for buying a day pass to BMW Wentworth simply because I chucked it on Mastercard - bargain... and discount on food/drink on the day come to think of it, semi-cross referring to the other thread about the price of bacon rolls @ RStG...).

Anyway, back to the question I wanted to ask - I don't really follow the senior tours, is there anyone in particular you think is a "must watch"? [obvious or not so much, will gratefully receive any suggestions]

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:55 am

puligny,
As a Portsmouth boy born and bred, I shall take your dear wife's comments with a healthy dose of scepticism and not hold it against Vancouver.
Seriously, have unfortunately not been back for 25 years (except a pilgrimage to Fratton Park 18 months ago), and doubtless the ravages of the 50's and 60's have been somewhat rectified!

Agree with what you say about Timmy but he has a very delicate balancing act. The meat and drink of his Tour are the week in / week out tournaments, about 40% of which seldom attract the biggest names. But the fields are filled out nicely by mostly entertaining, almost-top quality players who represent the rank and file of the Tour. Somehow he has to secure these guys cherished tee times in the big events while still attracting the best in the world. Not easy. There, I've said it - sympathy for Finchem, never thought I'd see the day.

Most of the better American golfers are class acts, though some can be a little isolationist and, just recently, there is a whole generation who haven't won much.

Hi Skydriver,
Hope you have a great day at Walton Heath. Some first day tee times that I would find attractive include:
9.50 a.m.: Kite, Pavin, Woosnam (my 21-y-o son reckons he's learned more about the golf swing, especially at impact, from watching Woosnam than anyone else).

13.50: Lehman, Des Smyth, Frost

14.20: Nick Price, Lane, Tom Watson

14.30: James, Senior, Mark Calcavecchia (at one time the most exciting golfer I'd ever seen).

Other good guys to watch, but not necessarily in great groups, include Tommy Armour, Edouardo Romero, Stadler and the funkiest swing in golf: Eamonn Darcy.

Good luck . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:01 am

Kwini - at least the car park/shopping centre (Tricorn?) is no more, and some things are looking up (Port Solent etc). he can get a bit misty eyed about the old place but rarely wants to go back!!!

It is difficult for Timmy - but that's sport! Sometimes you have to leave out a top striker for the sake of the team! His job is to keep everyone happy. The danger of being isolationist long term is greater?

On a recent trip to the States playing golf I was surprised how many US players were bad mouthed as being selfish etc - I agree with you they seem a pretty classy bunch overall, and like Aussie sports people, may hate losing, but tend to have a good word for the winner.

Try Vancouver if you get the chance - superb.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

For the avoidance of doubt - I meant she!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

US Players being selfish?

As in every sport, there are some you wouldn't want to follow, but most seem to interact with the fans and some can be surprisingly fun. Lucas Glover for instance looks to be the most miserable sod out there, yet he and DC seemed to be having a riot, DC said afterwards he wished he could play with him every week. I wanted to follow Allenby and Scott a year or two ago, but they were playing with CHIII who I had no interest in whatsoever. Turned out the three of them, in absolutely miserable conditions (think RStG but 40F degrees) laughed and joked all the way around. (Navarro and Scott a kinda golfing Morecambe and Wise.)

You never know.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:25 am

Thanks for the intel on the seniors, kwini. Let's hope most of those chaps make the cut...

On the Canadian, am hoping that Paul Casey manages to find his game again (perhaps the lost property folks at Bahrain have been kind enough to ship it back to him).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

Oops, Hadn't twigged that you were going on Saturday, Skydriver, my reading just keeps getting worse.

Casey's in a pickle as far as his PGA Tour season is concerned; a schedule that was presumably compiled to crescendo with a triumphant march through the FedEx Play-Offs will terminate early if he doesn't play well these next four weeks as he's 143rd in FedEx points.
Plus: He's only 133rd on the moneylist and doesn't have a card for 2012, and has also only played 9 of the required minimum of 15 Tour events, so it's Fall Series or bye-bye Tour unless Bahrain left luggage comes up with his goods.

Fortunately he's playing Thursday and Friday with Ernie Els, 139th in FedEx points and similarly destined for an early start on international travel and appearance fees. Difference is, Ernie's certain to play more than the minimum number of events and has his card secure through at least 2015.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:25 am

Cheers for the 'notes' Kwini and well done on the Chris Kirk premonitions!

Great to see Knox continuing his rise. Another Saltire on the pga tour next year will add to the steady rise of Scottish golf!

Last night my dad gave me a run down of where the top finishes where for the English players. We both remembered hearing that someone predicted the top Englishmen would be Dyson. I thought it was Hazel Irvine...? Anyways, even if the worlds top 2 did have shockers we would all have expected someone else to at least keep Dyson company. No suprise that Rock managed OK in the conditions so will Foley have Tiger look to Robert for some tips? Apparently Rock and Foley are big fans of each other. Thats Rock went down in my estimations a little. Foley is just plain weird.

Clarkes win was pretty huge obviously. Below him Phil was Phil; Dustin showed us again that his bad shot under pressure is to send it right; Fowler, I think, added to his promise rather than the somewhat unfair growing opinion that he doesnt have what it takes; and Kim reminded us he can play golf when he's away from the distractions of home (Vegas).

Never really had high hopes for Laird given the conditions. As per Rors he'll be keen to get back to the US for the Bridgestone and the USPGA.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

Hi Kwini, how's it going? Did you enjoy The Open, I know Clarke is one of your more favourite players. He played really well I thought and didn't show any tension. 3 wins for NI, how about that?

First cut in a major for Gary, a couple of the guys went down and said he fancied his chances going into the weekend, but a poor saturday (by his standards!) ended those hopes.

I was impressed with Fowler, I fancy he could end his duck this week, not a bad field in Canada considering.

(P.S I'm still employed, but have a bit more travelling to do now, lot of friends going though)

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

Hi Lairdy,
There must be something to the success relative journeymen (i.e. not the galacticos), like Dyson, Gallacher and Rock have enjoyed at recent Majors.
Do they approach them differently?
Does the weekly grind of the ET make them better prepared?
No idea but great to see them enjoy good results, plus of course their points earned buttresses those ranking points at ET events.
Didn't know that about Foley and Rock; wonder where they crossed paths?

'Afternoon gw,
Must be pleased with signing Roger Johnson?
I see GB played with some very different type of player last week, Garrigus, Allenby and Wilson; must have been quite the experience, decent finish and not a bad payday. Good for him. Plus thrilled for DC.

Funny old field in Canada with a number of big names playing, not coincidentally due to them having a marketing "relationship" with RBC, Casey, Donald, Els, Furyk, Kim etc. All could do with a good week.
But below the top level the next tier of players have stayed away in droves, eight hour time difference no doubt partly to blame.

Only six more events to the Play-Offs (Canada, Greenbrier, Firestone/Reno, PGA and Greensboro) and there'll be a sense of urgency among some players who desperately need a good week. Surprising Poulter's not playing as he could use a result after a poor six months here; lots of cuts made but no top tens since January. Not good.

Great to hear about the job; travel is good! All the best,

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Johnson is a great signing kwini, we've needed a centre back for a while now. I was half expecting Villa to jump in a sign him at the last minute, what with Big Eck being there now. Mick is trying to get Jay Spearing from Liverpool on loan for the season which would be a nice bit of business. With the recent return of Kightly too, that's like a new signing in itself!

Apparently, Garrigus was really supportive towards Gary, kept encouraging him even though he was struggling himself. Seems like a nice guy.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

gw,
Spearing looks as if he's a good player; whatever happened to Dave Jones, was there something more to his disappearance than met the eye? Looks like Mick has a bit of a vote of confidence after last year's survival, certainly look a bit stronger going into the season without any serious losses.

Right, Vancouver.
"Seasonably cool" as the weather people say, temps in the sixties and low seventies with the chance of showers. No high winds in the forecast so refugees for Kent and Mississippi should enjoy the temperate conditions.

Still won't make their week easy though; Shaughnessy GC is said to have greens as small as those at Harbour Town and Pebble Beach. Should make for great viewing with fairways lined with majestic trees, according to Ryan Moore, reminiscent of Sahalee.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

This was the rumour mill (if your believe any of it) - Jones allegedly refused a new contract offer at the end of last season as a few clubs were interested on the back of his performance in the second half of the season.

The interest disappeared and McCarthy refused to offer him a new deal so he sat out his contract and left on a free at the end of the season. Think he's currently clubless. Last seen having a trial at Wigan.

Shame really as he was superb in the 09/10 season.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

Makes sense for Wolves then gw, not for Jones though!
thumbsup

Will GB be playing a full schedule now? Disappointing start to the season but cooking now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Hi Lairdy,
There must be something to the success relative journeymen (i.e. not the galacticos), like Dyson, Gallacher and Rock have enjoyed at recent Majors.
Do they approach them differently?
Does the weekly grind of the ET make them better prepared?
No idea but great to see them enjoy good results, plus of course their points earned buttresses those ranking points at ET events.
Didn't know that about Foley and Rock; wonder where they crossed paths?

Could be as simple as less pressure and expectation to perform well.

Cant remember the Foley and Rock story exactly but Foley is supposed to be a big fan of Rock's swing!? and Rock a fan of Foley as a coach, without ever having really met I think. Think they just share the same ideas about the golf swing. I'm sure they eventually met at the US Open or maybe the Scottish.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

Hi great stuff again kwini.

From a luke donald tweet I gather the rough is pretty long at Shaughnessy this week. Apparently according to Wikipedia the course was originally laid out by A.V. Macan, a Scottish immigrant. Never heard of the bloke.

Actually think this might be quite a good event to watch even after last weeks events at RStG's.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:20 pm

Cheers Mac,
Yup, I think it was Ryan Moore who said it was equal toughest of the year, tied with Aronomink.

Macan's real name was McLaren but immigration couldn't spell such a complicated handle so it was abbreviated to Macan.

I've been trying to unearth some details of the architect but unsuccessfully!

Looking forward to the tournament.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:31 am

No apparent surprise in this morning's American press that Tiger has given Steve Williams the elbow; more of a sentiment that writers are sick and tired of the Tiger soap opera.

Amusing piece written a few days ago by John Feinstein in which he says that Woods' uberagent Mark Steinberg is known in the media as Dr. No in recognition of the way he protects his man. Hadn't heard that before.

Still no more word about the Notah Begay Foundation appearance by Tiger, or anything else about his playing schedule.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

With you on DC, kwini guinness guinness guinness .........

Amazing how much ink this TW-SW split is consuming all over the place today...

What were the odds of Robert Karlsson leading in Sweden? Well, apparently twice as much as you may have thought!!
I thought it was kind of funny that the Koreans had two golfers called Kim Kyung-Tae and Kim Hyung-Tae, but the Sweedes have gone one better... Very Happy

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

Major power!

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/McIlroyRory/view/10181466/sizes/full

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to go Thu or Fri to the Irish Open next week, some of these guys may not make it to the weekend if they keep it like this until next week... laughing

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

No sign of Caroline in that pic, pd, perhaps guinness is not her tipple?.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:No sign of Caroline in that pic, pd, perhaps guinness is not her tipple?.
I may bump into her ( Yahoo ) next week in Killarney, you never know...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:44 pm

Lots to like in Killarney, or so I've heard.

A cool morning greets the players in Vancouver; plenty to play for this week including:
~Qualification in the owgr top fifty for the Bridgestone - two cut-off poiints, next Monday and Monday week.
~Qualification via special PGA Championship moneylist for the PGA in Atlanta.
~Improving position, or reaching the top 125, in FedEx points in advance of the Play-Offs.

We'll monitor those developments as appropriate.

Plus:
The Nationwide event is underway in Columbus and Greg Owen (24th on the moneylist, where 25 qualify for the 2012 PGA Tour) is playing this morning, with Mesrs Knox (5th), Christian (35th) and Richardson (137th) in action this afternoon.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:09 pm

Morning kwini,

Albert MacKenzie and Mike Goodes. Will be pulling for these no-names in the "tourney of the week." This Senior Open field is what a major should look like with more than a handful of countries represented. Understand there are financial, policy and logistical issues in putting such a field together but if there are only going to be four majors per year, it seems like the powers that be could replicate this scenario for the other 3 Senior Majors.

Side note: Lorenzo Gagli of Italy is rivaling his country mates for consistently being in contention lately.

Love everything about Le Tour this year. Not a single poor day of racing and quite a bit to be decided even at this late stage.

Believe the Skanks will remain in their current holding pattern until the playoffs begin. Good strategy for this bunch. Half of the pitching staff needs to step it up. The offense is not going to get much better.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

McNulty leading the senior Open - another major for (N)Ireland?! (well, his grandmother comes from Ballymena)

venice1 wrote:Side note: Lorenzo Gagli of Italy is rivaling his country mates for consistently being in contention lately.
Agreed, venice. He certainly moved up a level in the last month or so...

kwini, with the risk of compromising your thread,
here are some Paddy Power bets as of today for a certain caddy job:

6/4 Fanny Sunesson
13/8 Byron Bell
7/4 Paul Tesori
5/1 John Wood
6/1 Tony Navarro
8/1 Billy Foster
12/1 JP Fitzgerald
20/1 Joe la Cava
33/1 Colin Byrne
500/1 Powakaddy

Next to win a tournament?
8/15 Tiger
11/8 Williams

etc... 🤦

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

Hi pd,

I'd take the odds on Williams over Tiger. If Steve is really with Adam then I may even give them a good shot at winning this year. It seems their collective engines would be hitting on all cylinders psychologically and emotionally for the first half dozen tourneys.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:12 pm

'Morning venice,
I'm knackered after that ride, actually surprised there wasn't more snow up there.

Good to see Mike Harwood up with McNulty; not sure exactly what happened to him after he was up close to the best golfers in the World 20 years ago. I know he fell foul of getting invites to tournaments run by IMG and that may have disaffected him. Regardless, he disappeared from the international scene. Tom Watson riding with the peloton for the time being.

Yanks doing what they have to do but you're right, it's not with hitting. Unless Chavez and/or AFraud get back soon you know they'll rent a bat at the trade deadline.

Odds against being Tiger's new caddie?
Would Fanny go for that? She'd rather be dissing Kaymer as well as Stenson.
And I don't se the Chubster letting Tiger take one of his guys' men, unless it's time for a change.

Paul Tesori might be a good call - suits Tiger's somewhat fanatical personality (if that's the right word?) and seems fairly free and easy with his allegiances. Both Tesori and Wood would fit the Foley bill, but would you want to urine those guys off?

Reckon Adam Scott is the big winner in all this.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

Back in Vancouver, scoring is difficult, fifteen golfers under par, 21 +2 (incl Casey) or more, and no-one's completed more than ten holes.

Decent starts by Els, Ames and Ogilvy, three countries not heard from in a long while.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

Early signs of life from a few of the strugglers of late: Els, Mahan, Ogilvy. Casey remains consistent though... Talk about a strong field - I see even Jesus is playing!

In Sweden we've two Robert Karlsson's in the top 10!
I wonder if the whole Tiger-LaCava roumors filtered through into DJ's game today. Bubba on the other hand may begin to love Europe...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

pd, Snap!

I don't know what sort of agreement Dustin has with Joe LC, but I'd see much greater upsides with Johnson, plus the option of occasional Couples cameos, than with Woods.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:21 pm

Paul Casey now +5 after 10 holes.
What's wrong with him? There was chatter last week about him playing through a foot injury - whatever it is, his season is slipping away before our eyes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

Paul Casey is now +7 after 11 holes.
Expensive trip to BC. At least he'll cash a cheque at the Bridgestone.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2011, 7:45 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Paul Casey now +5 after 10 holes.
What's wrong with him? There was chatter last week about him playing through a foot injury - whatever it is, his season is slipping away before our eyes.

Casey thought it might be arthritis, although I was not aware that he had a medical degree so it could have been anything.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 7:55 pm

Mac,
Whatever it is, if something's ailing him, he'd've been better off leaving his clubs in the garage some time ago. Too late now to expect much of a medical exemption if he's really unfit.

As Andy North wisely said last week apropos Tiger: "Never play golf until you're 100% fit. Then wait another month."

Oops, another bogey. Playing partner Ernesto going well though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

Not sure about the form of Furyk or Luuuke, but this is a great course to watch, looks fantastic.

Another solid Thursday for Daly. Wonder if he can... no, of course not.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

Agree Ned, fabulous looking course. Scoring a struggle still, looks like it will be Friday evening before we have a clear idea what to expect for the weekend. But some promising work from guys that had a rotten two days in Kent, Els, Kuchar, Ogilvy, Mahan, Crane, O'Hair but unforced errors from Lukey.

Nationwide update:
Russell Knox in with a four-under-par 67, good for 5th.
Not good news so far from Owen, Christian and Matt Richardson; they'll all need something special on Friday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm

Also some guys who had good weeks in kent continuing to do well; Glover, Kim and Fowler all at -1.

Sadly missed the coverage but I am keen to check it out tomorrow as the field seems really strong.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:09 am

Canadian Open always used to be one of the more prestigious events on Tour, reflected in its winners. And runners up.
Since the last Canadian to win in 1954, winners have included:
Palmer
Littler
Nagle
Casper
Charles
Trevino
Weiskopf
Pate
Lietzke
Oosterhuis
Norman
Strange
Levi
Steve Jones
Price
O'Meara
Sutton
Woods
Singh
Calc
Furyk

Wot? No Nicklaus??

Jack Nicklaus was runner up SEVEN times!!!!!!!

Let's hope for another distinguished winner this week before we move from Vancouver to Hamilton, and another great golf course, in 2012.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:22 am

Is that Greg Norman on the list or Moe Norman?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:39 am

Shark!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:49 am

Damn, sort of hoped moe norman would have fulfilled is potential against the big boys at least once.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:14 am

Alas . . . .

By the way, according to "The Golf Course", Vernon Macan "laid out courses all along the West Coast, including the Broadmoor C.C. in Seattle, Fircrest C.C. in Tacoma and the California Golf Club in San Francisco, and a host of layouts in his home province of British Columbia."

Assume Shaughnessy is his "gem".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 22 Jul 2011, 9:01 am

princedracula wrote:
venice1 wrote:Side note: Lorenzo Gagli of Italy is rivaling his country mates for consistently being in contention lately.
Agreed, venice. He certainly moved up a level in the last month or so...

Pd - I thought of you and your affinity with Italian golf at Castle Stuart when I was watching Lorenzo chip balls and play flops shots with who must be his friend Carlos Del Moral. So impressive to watch any of these guys work on their short games but these two seemed to be having the most fun. Lorenzo is not a big guy!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:07 am

Cheers Lairdy, never followed Gagli, only Matteo and Franny (and Eddi but only very briefly). But he's coming to the Irish Open next week, so I may see him there. Unfortunately he is having a bad start today so far...

It's getting more confusing with the two Robert Karlsson's... now the famous one is leading with the amateur just one behind...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Perhaps there'll be a Robert Karlsson / Robert Karlsson play-off on Sunday?
Welcome return to form by pro Robert regardless.

Just to reprise something I wrote on a previous thread: Assuming the top 45 in the owgr retain their top 50 status over the next two weeks, these golfers are on the bubble for inclusion in the Bridgestone field via the owgr top 50 route:
#47: Garcia
48: Haas
50: Palmer
52: Webb Simpson
58: Kim
64: Holmes
66: Dyson
67: Vijay
68: Marino
69: Jacquelin

So far as I can see, only Anthony Kim is playing this week, T13 afer Round 1 in Canada, which would not be enought to bring him into the top 50 - depending upon other results, he'd probably need a top 4 finish to reach the top 50.
Would also think Simpson might be very close to leapfrogging very close to #50.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next