The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

+27
md_fan
Solerina
Soldier_Of_Fortune
BoxingFan88
Jukebox Timebomb
coxy0001
milkyboy
Kay Fabe
BALTIMORA
TopHat24/7
paperbag_puncher
Rowley
McLaren
Seanusarrilius
licence_007
TRUSSMAN66
captain carrantuohil
Scottrf
John Bloody Wayne
jimdig
The Galveston Giant
SirJohnnyEnglish
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Liam_Main
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez - Page 2 Empty Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here it is, guys. A Q&A with the official Pound for Pound #2 ranked fighter in the world, Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez.

Spoiler:

Hailing from Buenos Aires, Argentina, Martinez turned professional in 1997 at the age of 22, a mere two years after turning his hand to boxing at any level. Prior to taking up boxing, he was a professional cyclist and football player.

Originally fighting in the Welterweight division, Martinez has since moved up through the weights to where he is currently operating at Middleweight. Winning world titles at both Light-Middleweight and Middleweight, Martinez is now the WBC Diamond and Ring Middleweight champion of the world, and was named The Ring 'Fighter of the Year' in 2010, in addition to being awarded The Ring 'Knockout of the Year' accolade.

His next fight is against Britain's very own Darren Barker to be held at the Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, USA, on 1st October 2011.

Many thanks to Sergio for agreeing to take part in this Q&A with 606v2, I'm sure you'll agree it is a very interesting read, and a huge coup for the forum to have interaction with such a massive name within the boxing world. We wish him all the best for the future.

General Boxing Questions

Would you be happy to move up to the Super-Middleweight division to chase big fights with the likes of Andre Ward, Carl Froch or Lucian Bute if you are unable to get big fights at Light-Middleweight or Middleweight?

I started at 147, in 2003 climbed to 154 and due to the demands of my career I had to climb to 160. I consider myself a strong 154 or small 160. The 168 will only come if there is a profitable business or an agreed weight where both boxers have to make a sacrifice. I'm open to any fight with the best, but not where only I have to sacrifice. I'll give you an example. I'd fight with Bernard Hopkins tomorrow at a weight of 165 and agreed fighting weight of 172.

Do you still have ambitions to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquaio? Which of these fights would you prefer?

Pacquiao I never had any intention of fighting. It's too small for me. The only weight to fight at is 154 and I do not give up more weight than that. For me, at 154, I have no problems.
Mayweather is another thing. I want that fight. It is undisputed number 1 pound for pound and I want to win. I can beat him, but also, I'm dangerous for him and that fight will happen but not short term. I wish I could fight him with the middleweight world title at stake, but at a weight of 156-158 pounds.

Do you feel that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Miguel Cotto are avoiding you, and have you tried hard to make these fights?

Cotto is a businessman and not a fighter. He wants to make money from his last fights and to fight with me he knows that if it is at either 154 or 160, he will be knocked out. I have challenged him publicly, privately, up close, from afar, but he does not want it ... What else can we do?

Chavez Jr is my regular divisional champion. I am champion emeritus and diamonds. I have the right to request to contest the title on a preferential basis. Don Jose Sulaiman asked me to leave you with a voluntary defense and I made my fight in October and immediately ordered our fight. If Jr does not accept that, you remove the belt. I have nothing against jr. I want my belt. If you are champion, you must accept the responsibility that entails. If he does not fight with me, it will be the biggest embarrassment I've ever seen in boxing.

How much have you seen of Darren Barker, and what do you feel are his strengths?

He is English, that is important. He's undefeated. He is European Champion. And he is brave, because he has accepted a difficult challenge. I always say that boxers are dangerous that accept the more difficult challenges. Those who are not afraid of anything. Barker has agreed to something that "champions" such as Cotto or Chavez have refused. All my respect for Barker. He is a true fighter.

3 fights I've seen him. I have a clear idea of how the fight will develop. The tactics and strategy will be defined during the camp. I am already a machine arriving in perfect condition on the day October 1. As of October 2, I will be a person.

How different do you think your career might have been if you had started boxing at an earlier age?

Age does not matter. If I had started earlier, I would have retired by now. The important thing is to bring life to the athlete. I am happy training. I do not know when I will retire, so far I can only say that every camp, every fight, I'm a better boxer, better athlete.

How do you feel about the result of the first fight with Paul Williams, and the Kermit Cintron "draw"?

Fights are very different. The fight with Williams is a close fight. If I win by a point or lose by a point or draw, it will be perfect. The problem is that a judge gave advantage to Williams for 9 points. HBO said that only a blind man could give that result. I can not add anything more. I had the opportunity of a good rematch last November with a result that will go down in history (606v2: Martinez won via 2nd round KO).

Cintron fight ... I won by KO, won on points, won by DQ and got a draw. I do not remember more. I think I erased it from my mind. A shame, I say no more.

I know that you think that Williams clearly lost in his last fight to Lara. After watching that fight, are you still interested in a third fight with Paul Williams?

I do not want that fight. Paul Williams clearly lost. Fighters have to find their level and I think that his level will not be 160. I will only fight if my TV company makes me a good deal and there are economic benefits. Paul Williams has receded and that will be good for his future because now maybe Cotto, Chavez, a champion Pacquiao or seller of PPV will actually fight with him. Paul was a top 5 P4P in 2009 and was one of the most feared fighters, so we had to "kill" us, because the great champions of paper were afraid.

How do you think you would have got on against the greatest of all the Argentinian Middleweights, Carlos Monzon?

I do not know. I just fight with humans, not gods. I can not imagine that fight. The history has laid him in a quiet place and we must let the warrior's rest.

Why do you think that you have reached your peak in your mid-thirties? Is it because you began boxing at a (relatively) advanced age? Because you were a raw talent to begin with? Or were you just unlucky up until the last couple of years?

If I entered into a boxing gym at age 13, my best would have been 28 or 30 years. As I walked in later, my best is now. Nothing more. I feel good, strong, young, motivated and desire to be number 1 pound for pound. Do not know if I'll get to 36 or 40 years, but I will try.

Who in your opinion is the greatest ever Middleweight?

Carlos Monzón and Marvin Hagler

Who do you feel you need to beat in order to be recognised as the Pound-for-Pound King?

A fight with Mayweather is a direct option or unify WBC-WBA-IBF in 2012, defeating Chavez, Geale and Sturm.

What frustrates you most about boxing?

That the better fighters aren't always world champions. I am bothered by Chavez Jr and protected fighters such as Cotto.

How would you like to be remembered, once you have retired from boxing?

As a man who dreamed one day and made ​​it a reality.

Is there anything that you know now that you wish you could have known when you first started your boxing career?

All but impossible. Everything in life has its moment. Would not change anything in my life. I'm glad I lived every moment in the way I've done, with training and information I had, unaided, without privileges.

If Manny Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather Jr sign to fight each other, how do you see the fight going?

Mayweather wins easily.

Did you have much of an amateur career?

18 months. Record 41-1.

Is there any past boxer that you tried to model your style on?

Copy no. Learn from them, yes. Muhammad Ali, Oscar de la Hoya, Kostya Tszyu, Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker, Julio Cesar Chavez (the good one), Mike Tyson.

You have avenged one of your losses against Paul Williams, do you want to avenge the loss against Margarito and the draw against Cintron before you retire?

One thing is the result and another is how I feel. With Cintron do not want anything because even though the record says "draw", I feel that I knocked him out in the seventh round. With Margarito, I lost. He won. It was 10 years ago at 147 and in conditions very different from now. I do not need a rematch with Margarito, but if the press, television, and Margarito fans want it, they will have it.

You have boxed outside of Argentina on numerous occasions, is there a particular venue or atmosphere that you have fond memories of?

Without a doubt, Las Vegas

Marvin Hagler vs Carlos Monzon - who wins, and why?

Monzón would knock Hagler out.

Who are your boxing heroes?

Muhamad Alí, Carlos Monzón, Carlos Zárate, Roberto Durán, Marvin Hagler

Do you get frustrated that none of the other big names seem to be interested in fighting you? Or does this give you a sense of pride as it shows that they fear how good you are?

Exactly, I am proud that they fear me. I have the recognition of the press, the fans and although I have less money than Mayweather, I can say I'm happy.

Where do you see the sport of boxing being in 25 years time with regard to the huge number of belts available and their politics (as you found out when they stripped you of your title)?

It's easy. Boxing loses credibility. Credibility is lost by the "belts". Fans and the trade press can not be lying.

What were your feelings over your poor treatment by the WBC when they stripped you of your title?

I was sad. But I'm positive. I am the lineal champion with or without belts. I do not need a belt to feel champion. I do not need, but I want it, because it is mine because and I did not lose it in the ring.

Do you think that random drug testing should be mandatory?

Yes. Blood and urine.

Off-Topic Questions

It is well known that you have taken part in a fantastic campaign to raise awareness of domestic violence. How do you feel your efforts have gone, and has your campaign had a big impact in your opinion?

There are 2 campaigns. Against domestic violence and anti-bullying. I just know we can always do more. I like meeting people and helping with social problems.

If you were not a boxer, what would you be?

I do not know. Sure a competitive athlete, but I do not know what sport

How have you managed to remain good looking, despite being a boxer?!

My mother is an artist of the highest level, she did very well.

And finally, (from our resident web designer), it appears that you do not have a website, do you want one?! ;-)

I've had hundreds of submissions, but I always end up creating problems and I lost a lot of time. Time does not spare. I have no official website yet. However I do not rule out a serious proposal and if I do not create problems.

Note: Slight alterations were made to some of the wording due to a couple of problems in translation.

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez - Page 2 Empty Re: Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:34 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Lou Di Bella has just tweeted a link to this.

I know, just seen this!

Cracking kudos for the forum.

Next time he tweets I'm going to ask him if he's interested in doing one. Would be good to get the views of others involved in the sport not just the fighters.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez - Page 2 Empty Re: Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

Post by coxy0001 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

Scottrf wrote:What does he mean by the DQ though?

Can only assume it was something to do with his corner entering the ring? To be honest it's a bit hazy on the memory how it all broke down, but it could be that.

To be fair he did everything apart from dumping him into a casket a la "The Undertaker" from the 1994 WWF days i vaguely remember.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

Ah OK couldn't remember them entering then ring, but then the ref did say 10...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

Actually, didn't it happen as the round was ending? Because he sent him back to his corner rather than call it a KO.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

I know, just seen this!

Just got a message from Lou Di Bella he wants to do a Q&A.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

Good work Kev, have seen Lou interviewed a few times and he comes across as very forthright, if we get the questions right could be a belter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

Just waiting on him getting back to me with an e-mail address to send the 's to. David Coldwell is willing to do one as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:00 pm

Awesome interview and just highlights for me why he is one of my favourite current fighters. Fantastic attitude, fantastic fighter! Thanks fists I thouroughly enjoyed reading it.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

I know, just seen this!

Just got a message from Lou Di Bella he wants to do a Q&A.

Spot on! Nicely done.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

DQ - Disqualification.

I think Matrinez thought Cintron should have been DQ'd when he refused to fight on after a knockdown Cintron believed came from a clash of heads.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:DQ - Disqualification.

I think Matrinez thought Cintron should have been DQ'd when he refused to fight on after a knockdown Cintron believed came from a clash of heads.
I know it meant disqualification, but I meant for what.

That incident is surely the KO though, he seems to be double counting it...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:58 pm

Quality. Props to Fist, how did manage thismcoup?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

That was a very interesting read.

How very kind of Sergio Martinez to give up his valuable time to answer all your questions....he was very generous with his answers, too.

He seems like a top bloke!

Well done Fists!

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

Great to get these guys contributing to the forum.

Now can't wait to hear Paulie M's responses to his questions.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

Well done fists - great coup for the forum!
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:31 pm

While i think of it, would anyone be interested if i organised a q/a with Dougie Fisher from The Ring? We bounce emails across every other week or so (started from his mailbag in his maxboxing days) and am sure he'd be up for it....

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:52 pm

Due to the amount of Q/A's being organised, which is great do people think a separate sticky thread or something should be created to store them all. I'm thinking about new people coming to the site to allow them easy access to read all this great material.

I hope the above makes sense. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:53 pm

Dass wrote:Due to the amount of Q/A's being organised, which is great do people think a separate sticky thread or something should be created to store them all. I'm thinking about new people coming to the site to allow them easy access to read all this great material.

https://www.606v2.com/f59-questions-and-answers-archive

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:56 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Dass wrote:Due to the amount of Q/A's being organised, which is great do people think a separate sticky thread or something should be created to store them all. I'm thinking about new people coming to the site to allow them easy access to read all this great material.

https://www.606v2.com/f59-questions-and-answers-archive

Awesome didn't know that existed, my point/suggestion is moot. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:56 am

Great work Fists a cracking read.

Love the Monzon quote.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm

Interview with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7TmX15NNnY&feature=player_embedded

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm

He does seem like a quality bloke to be fair doesn't he sounds like a guy I could get to know pretty easily (And maybe a little more you know what I mean randy )

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/07/21/sergio-martinez/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2&hpt=hp_c2

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2