The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce Tournament!

5 posters

Go down

Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce Tournament!  Empty Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce Tournament!

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:37 am

Apparently he was due to fight Bigfoot in October and then the new management asked him to fight in September which at the time was 7 weeks notice to which Overeem said wasn't enough notice as he wasn't training and Strikeforce pulled him out!

There may be more to it but all seems a little odd.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce Tournament!  Empty Re: Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce Tournament!

Post by talkingpoint Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

yeah I would like more information about this; I thought Overeem was a big draw for Strikeforce, so there must be something more than just his reluctance to fight at short notice.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce Tournament!  Empty Re: Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce Tournament!

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

So they wanted him to fight in September as well as Bigfoot in October? Or did they want to bring the fight with Bigfoot forward to September?

Seems a little harsh a decision and if he had of fought someone else in September and got knocked out or injured there is no way he would be cleared medically in time to fight Bigfoot in October.

Is this Dana's way of possibly putting one of the UFC heavyweights into the tournament? Brock? Carwin? Mirr?

How much would Dana crow on if he put a UFC fighter into the strikeforce tournament and they went on to win it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

They wanted to move the fight forward from October to September.

I think there's more to it but all sounds a bit fishy.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

Excellent point K-Pax - can defo see a UFC fihgter replacing him.

Or maybe get Fedor back in the tourno for a rematch?

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:01 pm

Didnt dana come out and pretty much say he didnt rate overeem, i wonder if this is genuine or due to him at the time working for a rival.

Now dana is his boss has his stance changed and is trying to get him into the UFC with maximum drawing power, as a loss in the grand prix would throw a spanner in the works. Perhaps its a case of why risk it.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

Surely nothing left for him in Strikeforce if he isn't in the tournament. Hopefully this speeds up him joining UFC.

I read Cormier is favourite to take his place. He was pretty impressive against Monson.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

I think things were always going to be difficult between Overeem and UFC because UFC enforces strict rules in their contract not allowing them to compete in any other promotion's events however The Reem enters the K1 championship every year and fights for Dream occasionally as well so Overeem may quit UFC/Strikeforce altogether.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down