The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was/is your style of boxing?

+19
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
6oldenbhoy
TRUSSMAN66
Imperial Ghosty
Young_Towzer
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Small Time
Super D Boon
Scottrf
Sir. badgerhands
Michaels, Sean
HumanWindmill
Mind the windows Tino.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
eddyfightfan
coxy0001
The genius of PBF
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What was/is your style of boxing? - Page 2 Empty What was/is your style of boxing?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anyone who has boxed knows that fighting style is important. When I started learning the game I was taught the basics as is the norm. I mastered the stance and learned how to throw punches in the right way ie sitting down on my punches, twisting my hips, blah blah blah, but eventually I NATURALLY formed a style that seemed to suit me physically. I never gave any thought to it, it just happened but my personal style was the direct opposite of what I was taught and yet it was effective.

My style evolved in time with my left hand held low, right hand cocked, and adopting the counter puncher mentality. I had quick reflexes which explains why my left hand was held low but my defence was reliant on me slipping punches rather then blocking them. Now my trainers were always frustrated with me as I would hear them shouting "hands up, hands up" but I boxed in a way that was comfortable to me. I see fighters like Froch doing the same thing. I doubt very much that Froch was taught to fight like that its just something that develops over time.

I had success with this style and faced guys who were sluggers, stalkers, and one punch heros and was able to deal with these styles quite effectively but ironically I had problems with text book type guys, which is funny to me. Did anyone here develop their own style or did they just stick to basics?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

What was/is your style of boxing? - Page 2 Empty Re: What was/is your style of boxing?

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
milkyboy wrote:" Not sure I could handle him seeing me being sparked out."

by the sounds of things kev, with your chin, you better quit sparring with him then! Laugh

Not been sparring just teaching him the basics. I have a nephew who is about his age mind you......
Dad was always at the table with a pint when i was boxing, mam would never come because of nerves, but my nephew's only 5 he watched the fight with Murray/Mitchell saturday, i'll get him into it if its what he wants to do, they should bring it back in schools, that would go some way to ridding the streets of scum imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

What was/is your style of boxing? - Page 2 Empty Re: What was/is your style of boxing?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:47 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
milkyboy wrote:" Not sure I could handle him seeing me being sparked out."

by the sounds of things kev, with your chin, you better quit sparring with him then! Laugh

Not been sparring just teaching him the basics. I have a nephew who is about his age mind you......
Dad was always at the table with a pint when i was boxing, mam would never come because of nerves, but my nephew's only 5 he watched the fight with Murray/Mitchell saturday, i'll get him into it if its what he wants to do, they should bring it back in schools, that would go some way to ridding the streets of scum imo.

I agree with that so many kids with nothing to do could be taking their frustration out on a heavy bag rather than some old guy. Tyson Fury was on TV talking about this on the Wright Stuff this morning and handled himself very well much to my surprise.

My boy isn't allowed into a boxing gym until he's 9 so we have 2 and a half years before he can get involved properly but he really enjoys it. Only problem is he's a Pac fan because of my Dad who is a big Poochi fan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

Towzer - on a completely different subject you may be interested to know Kevin Mitchell is now ranked no5 at lightweight by Ring Magazine on the back of his win over Murray (who was 4th prior to their fight but has dropped to 10th).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:43 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am going to "out" myself as never having had a single fight in my life. Not one. Ever.

Not in a street, playground, boxing ring or sports pitch.

Come to think of it, I wandered on the boxing forum by mistake.

Shouldn't worry, Tino.

Audley Harrison made a fortune by doing the same.

Ouch!

I vaguely remember a thread on the old 606 about something similar to this. It made me chuckle at the fact every poster had a winning amateur record. Some better than others but everyone a winner. I wonder where all the amateur losers have gone.

I lost the majority of my fights, but the horizontal nick name was unfair- I never got stopped in 31 amateurs fights but only won about 9 of them. Style was box at long range as I'm tall, but hated being put under pressure, did ok when up against boxers, but hopeless against swarmers.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:47 am

horizontalhero wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am going to "out" myself as never having had a single fight in my life. Not one. Ever.

Not in a street, playground, boxing ring or sports pitch.

Come to think of it, I wandered on the boxing forum by mistake.

Shouldn't worry, Tino.

Audley Harrison made a fortune by doing the same.

Ouch!

I vaguely remember a thread on the old 606 about something similar to this. It made me chuckle at the fact every poster had a winning amateur record. Some better than others but everyone a winner. I wonder where all the amateur losers have gone.

I lost the majority of my fights, but the horizontal nick name was unfair- I never got stopped in 31 amateurs fights but only won about 9 of them. Style was box at long range as I'm tall, but hated being put under pressure, did ok when up against boxers, but hopeless against swarmers.

That's nine more fights than I have won HH so well done!

My style was "another drink over here please barman" whilst the toe-rags got arrested.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:Anyone think that onetwo talking about himself as a boxer is a bit like Jay from the inbetweeners talking about how much clunge he's battered?

Yes. Does have an air of fantasy about it.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

SugarRayBray wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:Anyone think that onetwo talking about himself as a boxer is a bit like Jay from the inbetweeners talking about how much clunge he's battered?

Yes. Does have an air of fantasy about it.
Not the only one I expect.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:37 pm

I used to look at guys like Henry Armstrong, and watch how these guys throw punches. Now you see Henry Armstrong was a guy that never stopped. He would throw about 300 punches in a round. So I said if I can be like that and keep that pressure on, my opponent would eventually break

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2