The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was/is your style of boxing?

+19
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
6oldenbhoy
TRUSSMAN66
Imperial Ghosty
Young_Towzer
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Small Time
Super D Boon
Scottrf
Sir. badgerhands
Michaels, Sean
HumanWindmill
Mind the windows Tino.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
eddyfightfan
coxy0001
The genius of PBF
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What was/is your style of boxing? Empty What was/is your style of boxing?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

Anyone who has boxed knows that fighting style is important. When I started learning the game I was taught the basics as is the norm. I mastered the stance and learned how to throw punches in the right way ie sitting down on my punches, twisting my hips, blah blah blah, but eventually I NATURALLY formed a style that seemed to suit me physically. I never gave any thought to it, it just happened but my personal style was the direct opposite of what I was taught and yet it was effective.

My style evolved in time with my left hand held low, right hand cocked, and adopting the counter puncher mentality. I had quick reflexes which explains why my left hand was held low but my defence was reliant on me slipping punches rather then blocking them. Now my trainers were always frustrated with me as I would hear them shouting "hands up, hands up" but I boxed in a way that was comfortable to me. I see fighters like Froch doing the same thing. I doubt very much that Froch was taught to fight like that its just something that develops over time.

I had success with this style and faced guys who were sluggers, stalkers, and one punch heros and was able to deal with these styles quite effectively but ironically I had problems with text book type guys, which is funny to me. Did anyone here develop their own style or did they just stick to basics?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

What was/is your style of boxing? Empty Re: What was/is your style of boxing?

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm

At what point did you add the spinning back fist to your arsenal?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

rowley wrote:At what point did you add the spinning back fist to your arsenal?

Laugh

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

Tried desperately to stick to the basics, but like most things i found it better to train and practise those until it became 2nd nature.

For some reason i automatically went with a philly shell kinda defence and would prefer to roll than have a Abraham/Clottey high peek-a-boo guard. Suppose it's like when you pick up a golf club and hold it left below right etc, just found it more natural etc. Found delivering a jab much easier to get pop off of it.

Other than that i didn't have much of a defined style other than i'd go body hunting probably too much. Only sparred though, never got carded as it wasn't exactly known by that i was in a boxing gym

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm

ive only just started boxing, but already i try and fight fire with fire, if someone lands something it makes me determined to land back and i end up all over the place, no doubt as i learn (only had about 10 sessions) this will tighten up, but would think the mentality will stay the same, as you cant change your attitudes

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Very funny jeff

To answer your question I added it in the time I took up Muay Thai. Not really surprised at your comical reply did'nt expect a sensible answer as you have never laced up a pair of gloves in your life. Well maybe when washing the dishes but never in combat.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

Not sure marigolds have laces to be honest. And as Ray Davies once put it I'm a lover not a fighter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

I tried to be a slick fighter even tried to be a bit like RJJ or Naz but the minute I got tagged I was all over the place and just wanted to trade. Had a glass chin though so it never went well for me and I became a spectator very quickly.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

I am going to "out" myself as never having had a single fight in my life. Not one. Ever.

Not in a street, playground, boxing ring or sports pitch.

Come to think of it, I wandered on the boxing forum by mistake.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm

Fightfan that mentality will go eventually because if you dont you will just end up facing a guy who will keep throwing it back its then that you will try new things to handle him and thats boxing. My point is that you might develop a style that works for you. Like coxy said he found by adopting a certain style enabled him to throw the jab better. I think finding a style that suits you but still retaining the important aspects of the basics helps.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am going to "out" myself as never having had a single fight in my life. Not one. Ever.

Shouldn't worry, Tino.

Audley Harrison made a fortune by doing the same.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am going to "out" myself as never having had a single fight in my life. Not one. Ever.

Neither have I Tino, fancy a scrap, since we both have the same record 0-0-0 someones 0 has got to go

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

I have short arms so the jab was never a punch that worked that well for me. Was more comfortable fighting southpaw even though I'm right handed. Never seemed to get caught as often or as cleanly.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm

I believe, that when it comes to a discussion concerning styles, we shouldn't underestimate the importance of this question :

https://www.606v2.com/t9815-the-difinitrate-historical-social-aspect-of-pugilism

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:00 pm

prettyboykev is that true lol your a freak. A short, slick switch hitter....with no jab.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

Shouldn't worry, Tino.

Ouch!

I vaguely remember a thread on the old 606 about something similar to this. It made me chuckle at the fact every poster had a winning amateur record. Some better than others but everyone a winner. I wonder where all the amateur losers have gone.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:08 pm

I always look to use my reach and power advantage wherever possible. More often than not, once I landed the fight would be over. The missus did get up once but was clearly unable to continue after the fall downstairs.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:08 pm

One Bomb had a better amateur record than Sugar Ray Robinson. Rumour has it all the light heavyweights in Britain clubbed together to pay him not to go pro such was their fear.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

rowley wrote:One Bomb had a better amateur record than Sugar Ray Robinson. Rumour has it all the light heavyweights in Britain clubbed together to pay him not to go pro such was their fear.

Rumour has it Cleverly has threatened to retire if one bomb turns pro.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:16 pm

Tell you what Jeff, you tell me where and when our superfight is taking place and I will send along my toughest friend to duff you up. You won't know any different.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:16 pm

I always liked using the throw arms like an insane windmill, with eyes closed and pulling a stupid face style of fighting!!!

If coupled with making noises like a braying donkey all the better.

Didn't OneBomb out himslf at the end of 606?

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:prettyboykev is that true lol your a freak. A short, slick switch hitter....with no jab.

I tried to use my jab that's why I was more comfortable fighting southpaw never. I tried to fight like the fighters I liked but never had the ability. I'm only 5'4" but I do have short arms for a man my size.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:I always liked using the throw arms like an insane windmill, with eyes closed and pulling a stupid face style of fighting!!!

Harry Greb? Do you have any tapes?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Shouldn't worry, Tino.

Ouch!

I vaguely remember a thread on the old 606 about something similar to this. It made me chuckle at the fact every poster had a winning amateur record. Some better than others but everyone a winner. I wonder where all the amateur losers have gone.

I'm one of the losers big time. Even got sparked out.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:prettyboykev is that true lol your a freak. A short, slick switch hitter....with no jab.

I tried to use my jab that's why I was more comfortable fighting southpaw never. I tried to fight like the fighters I liked but never had the ability. I'm only 5'4" but I do have short arms for a man my size.

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos2/Verne-Troyer-EzJHp.jpg

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Shouldn't worry, Tino.

Ouch!

I'm one of the losers big time. Even got sparked out.

Good man for confessing Kev. You still have a superior record to me!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

Anyone think that onetwo talking about himself as a boxer is a bit like Jay from the inbetweeners talking about how much clunge he's battered?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Fightfan that mentality will go eventually because if you dont you will just end up facing a guy who will keep throwing it back its then that you will try new things to handle him and thats boxing. My point is that you might develop a style that works for you. Like coxy said he found by adopting a certain style enabled him to throw the jab better. I think finding a style that suits you but still retaining the important aspects of the basics helps.

yeah i think it will too, especially when the ability to slip and dodge come a bit more naturally, at the moment i try to either walk through or block and fire back, mainly because ive not learned the skills to move out and move back in whilst getting accurate punchs off. it seems to be a comprimise between quantiy and quality, but shouldnt be long before thats sorted out. i know ive only been about 10 times but did i not mention i have a 109(104)-0-1 amatuer record? not as good as most peoples on here it seems but its a modest start from a modest guy

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:I always liked using the throw arms like an insane windmill, with eyes closed and pulling a stupid face style of fighting!!!

Harry Greb? Do you have any tapes?

laughing

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

sean micheals thats the truth dont see whats so spectacular about it that I would make it up. Its just the way I evolved in boxing no big thing.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

rowley wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos2/Verne-Troyer-EzJHp.jpg

I wouldn't fight Troyer. His reach advantage over me would be to great for me to get past.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

I only sparred Karate and Kick boxing does that count?

My only weapons was a flurry of weak jabs and a decent right hand and absolutely no offesnive attributes (always fought on the back foot). My crowning achievement was in a karate competition where I clubbed a kid with two hard rights and split his mouth. Trouble is it was a limited contact competition and I was swiftly disqualified! 🤦

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

i was once in a karate torament, going back over 15 years now (i was about 8) and won a bronze medal without actually winning a fight. accumaltive points and draws scored me high enough.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i was once in a karate torament, going back over 15 years now (i was about 8) and won a bronze medal without actually winning a fight. accumaltive points and draws scored me high enough.

I never got past the first round of those things. Only entered two though. The second was a terrible affair. I was kicked out of the ring twice and disqualified again. It wouldn't have been so bad if my opponent wasn't a girl! 🤦

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

i hardly remember mine, i drew lost drew and then was in the line for collecting a kata medal and they shouted my name out for combat as well, was only 8 at the time and fighting a few years above me, so was chuffed. i quit about 8 months later and now dont remember hardly anything.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Wed 20 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:i was once in a karate torament, going back over 15 years now (i was about 8) and won a bronze medal without actually winning a fight. accumaltive points and draws scored me high enough.

I never got past the first round of those things. Only entered two though. The second was a terrible affair. I was kicked out of the ring twice and disqualified again. It wouldn't have been so bad if my opponent wasn't a girl! 🤦

Somethings are best left for you and your shrink Very Happy

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

its quite sad that the highlights of my career happened aged 8, im a shot fighter at 23, be good if i could do well in boxing, ive a beer belly holding me back that wasnt there then tho, so not crossing my fingers

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

I've never boxed. My mates all find this surprising as I've always been a gym rat and am a passionate boxing fan. I also was quite successful competitively at karate and taekwondo, and although I've done boxing training and still do a few times a month, I've never laced em up in the ring. Not sure what what style I'd have adopted - possibly a rangy one as I'm fairly tall for my weight (5'11" 154lb). No chance of me suddenly finding the urge now at 30 - need to preserve these good looks in case I go bankrupt and the missus goes off and finds herself a real man like Truss.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

I uised to come forward a lot but with lots of head movement, i think its just as good as landing a punch when you see a fighter roll or bob and weave out the way of a shot. Preffered fighters who came at me when boxing as an amateur, the amateur game is poor imo, ie the points scoring, i boxed in Hull a few years ago and landed plenty of body shots but hardly any were scored, i think the amateur game should take one thing from the pro game certainly, the way rounds are scored, i outworked a more skillful lad a few years ago as well and lost because he basically sat off and pawed shots, the fight went to count back and he won, much to the disgust of my trainer, i have spoke to plenty of am trainers and they all want pro scoring. My little brother got robbed a couple of months back as well and it's disheartening.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:18 pm

Used to fight as a brawling southpaw, tried to replicate Marciano as much as I could which worked against shorter guys but had to take too many punches when fighting the taller rangier guys

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

I was a switch hitter with a great spinning back fist

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:I uised to come forward a lot but with lots of head movement, i think its just as good as landing a punch when you see a fighter roll or bob and weave out the way of a shot. Preffered fighters who came at me when boxing as an amateur, the amateur game is poor imo, ie the points scoring, i boxed in Hull a few years ago and landed plenty of body shots but hardly any were scored, i think the amateur game should take one thing from the pro game certainly, the way rounds are scored, i outworked a more skillful lad a few years ago as well and lost because he basically sat off and pawed shots, the fight went to count back and he won, much to the disgust of my trainer, i have spoke to plenty of am trainers and they all want pro scoring. My little brother got robbed a couple of months back as well and it's disheartening.

On an international level the scoring has improved In the last 25 years. Probably the biggest travesty I've seen in the ring was Roy Jones Jr's Olympic final and that was scored by rounds, so not I would not want to see a return to that. Body shots seem to be a bit of a scoring issue though. At the last Olympics, body shots seemed to be almost pointless as good shots didn't score points as regularly as head shots. Yet at the most recent commonwealth games, body shots did score with more frequency so its a bit of a grey area. There is always going to be a bit of controversy, but this happens in most sports, but I agree it can be disheartening.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:54 pm

i suppose one or two dodgy decesion wont affect your career in the long run if your good enough at an amatuer level

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:36 pm

When I was a youngun I fought unorthadox with a Birdseye potatoe waffle punch for my special move.

Last edited by DavidBlunkettsuppercut on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cos)
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:59 pm

@Kev
how many amateur fights did you have kev?, my mate was glass chinned, i shouldn't laugh but he was in the novices before in control boxing the smaller lad's head off and a straight right hand had him all over the shop, before the referee stepped in, he got stopped 4 times on the spin once and i think that hinted on to him.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:@Kev
how many amateur fights did you have kev?, my mate was glass chinned, i shouldn't laugh but he was in the novices before in control boxing the smaller lad's head off and a straight right hand had him all over the shop, before the referee stepped in, he got stopped 4 times on the spin once and i think that hinted on to him.

I had 22 and won 8, lost 14. I got sparked out twice but was stopped a further 6 times. Absolutely loved it probably why I'm so thick. I got sparked out twice and lost my first 6 fights then I changed to fighting southpaw which suited me better I was 8-8 after the switch. I seemed to be a bit better defensively from the lefty stance. Short arms were a killer for me I had a poor jab because of them and my style really needed a jab.

Keep thinking of giving it another go.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

I had 22 and won 8, lost 14. I got sparked out twice but was stopped a further 6 times. Absolutely loved it probably why I'm so thick. I got sparked out twice and lost my first 6 fights then I changed to fighting southpaw which suited me better I was 8-8 after the switch. I seemed to be a bit better defensively from the lefty stance. Short arms were a killer for me I had a poor jab because of them and my style really needed a jab.

It's a really hard but enjoyable game, i had around 15 bouts, but hated the weight making, that was why i packed it up, i was never nothing special but i am going back to the gym in august to give it another crack, you should do kev if you want to do it again, better than thinking when your older i wish i had of gone back.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:21 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

It's a really hard but enjoyable game, i had around 15 bouts, but hated the weight making, that was why i packed it up, i was never nothing special but i am going back to the gym in august to give it another crack, you should do kev if you want to do it again, better than thinking when your older i wish i had of gone back.

Keep thinking about it but I do a bit of light training with my boy. He's only 6 but he loves boxing and enjoys training with his old man. He can't go to a gym yet so we do it from home. Not sure I could handle him seeing me being sparked out.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:31 pm

" Not sure I could handle him seeing me being sparked out."

by the sounds of things kev, with your chin, you better quit sparring with him then! Laugh

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:33 pm

milkyboy wrote:" Not sure I could handle him seeing me being sparked out."

by the sounds of things kev, with your chin, you better quit sparring with him then! Laugh

Not been sparring just teaching him the basics. I have a nephew who is about his age mind you......
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next