The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sherlock: BBC1

+14
Mad for Chelsea
hampo17
Celtic Warrior
Lee
Bull
ADMIN
JDizzle
Kenny
User Name
talkingpoint
hodge
Legend
Bleausardv2
Crimey
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sherlock: BBC1  Empty Sherlock: BBC1

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:24 am

Is anyone a fan from when it aired last year, or just discovering it after last nights repeat?

One of my favourite TV shows last year and watching it a second (Ok, maybe a third or fourth Whistle ) time around makes it easier to watch because you're use to the music sometimes going over the dialogue.

Series Two starts sometime in the autumn and it's been confirmed that the three stories this time are based on the books
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Sherlock: BBC1  Empty Re: Sherlock: BBC1

Post by Crimey Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:40 am

I thought it was excellent! Steven Moffat is a good writer, and the casting was perfect for the two characters. Did you know that apparently it was Martin Freeman's role in Sherlock that got him to be cast as Bilbo in the Hobbit films?

I can't wait for them to come back, I just wish that there were slightly more episodes in the series, as although they're all like mini-movies I'd prefer maybe one or two more just to keep me hooked for a bit longer.

I am worried, despite the fact that it is a very good programme that it will get cancelled because viewership will stay low because they can't build up a large enough viewership base because it is only around for a short time and then there is a huge gap before it comes back.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:54 am

As a Holmes fan I was rather worried when this first came out - after all there have been some truly awful attempts to expand on the originals or update them - but was very pleasantly surprised; nicely done and I do hope that this "chance to see again" draws in some new viewers. Looking forward to the next series.
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 am

Leak, I see what you mean, but I think the first run got around 8m viewers on average, and since then has won several awards that should attract a new audience.

I've never read any Sherlock Holmes books before, but think that after seeing how good the TV series is I might read a few over the summer. Any suggestions for some of the better ones Bleau?

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:36 am

I only discovered it last night. I watched it 'just because it was on', but in the end I thought it was incredible. It goes without saying that I will be watching the second episode's repeat next Wednesday. OK

Does anyone know specifically when the new series begins?
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 am

dont know specific date but would expect within 2 months

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:40 am

Sounds good. I can't wait for the next series. Who plays Sherlock in it; I thought he was excellent?
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 am

Rory McIlroy? Laugh
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 pm

answering your own questions legend...... Erm

apparantly Matt Smith applied for the role of Sherlock and got the role of the doctor instead laughing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock
Martin Freeman - John
Mark Gatiss - Mycroft

Legend, despite it only having three episodes overall, the storyline seems to include a lot in it.

Sherlock, Dr Who and Merlin were all in the BBC Autumn advert that's been playing recently. So should start any time between start of September and end of October?

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:52 pm

i would expect one to start after Torchwood maybe then, unless they are all filling slots on a saturday....?

Pretty sure Dr Who is september/october

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

when I first saw the adverts I was skeptical but on watching the first episode I was won over - a very enjoyable and entertaining series, the conversion to modern 21st century setting was done very tastefully and the the script was witty and intelligent. I'm looking forward to the new series and am happy they chose to make more.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Torchwood finishes in the UK on the 15th September, which will be a Thursday, so maybe Doctor Who to start on the 17th? Sherlock to take a slot one day during the week then the week after; and Merlin doesn't start until after Doctor Who finishes.

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

I thought they were going to make it longer than 3 episodes this time round?

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:35 pm

no just 3 again, i would rather have 3 very thought out episodes rather than 7/8 less planned.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:27 am

One thing I really like about it is that the viewer is more from Watson's point of view rather than Sherlock's, which is much more like the books, and in my opinion actually helps make the Sherlock character seem even more extraordinary and strange. That's something I felt the recent Sherlock Holmes failed to realise.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Churchill wrote:I've never read any Sherlock Holmes books before, but think that after seeing how good the TV series is I might read a few over the summer. Any suggestions for some of the better ones Bleau?

Some of the later stories are a little odd, but I might suggest - Hound of the Baskervilles; Valley of Fear; Five Orange Pips; Crooked Man; Musgrave Ritual; Dancing Men; Devil's Foot etc. Personally I find Red Headed League, Greek Interpreter, Solitary Cyclist, Sussex Vampire, 3 Garridebs and Lion's Mane less compelling. As with so many things - this is very much a personal choice and I'm no Sherlock expert!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Bleausardv2 wrote:
Churchill wrote:I've never read any Sherlock Holmes books before, but think that after seeing how good the TV series is I might read a few over the summer. Any suggestions for some of the better ones Bleau?

Some of the later stories are a little odd, but I might suggest - Hound of the Baskervilles; Valley of Fear; Five Orange Pips; Crooked Man; Musgrave Ritual; Dancing Men; Devil's Foot etc. Personally I find Red Headed League, Greek Interpreter, Solitary Cyclist, Sussex Vampire, 3 Garridebs and Lion's Mane less compelling. As with so many things - this is very much a personal choice and I'm no Sherlock expert!

Pretty sure the 2 episodes in the 1st series yet to be replayed are loosely based on those 3 books. Might give them a read over the summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:23 pm

I was so glad that the show didn't lose any of its charm as is always the worry, particularly in a second series where it is so important to get the first episode right otherwise it quickly goes downhill.

In my opinion, not only did it achieve the same high levels it had set in the first series, it exceeded them with the best episode they've done yet. Irene Adler was a really good character, and I loved how it was shown with their actions corresponding each other. I think Mycroft Holmes is also an excellent character. I really like Martin Freeman, he's not extraordinary, but that's the point, I think his character in contrast to Sherlock's is done perfectly, and I love the jealousy he had in this episode.

The star is really the star though, Benedict Cumberbatch is perfect for it. He gets the balance between sympathy and an almost inhumanity brilliantly.

This has quickly become my favourite show on television, I like the length of each episode which feels like a mini-film but manages to have one consistent storyline throughout. I love the characters, the acting and how everything is shown. The humour is really good and not overused, the action scenes are also just as frequent as they need to be and I just can't wait until the next episode.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Agreed, I feel the episode was brilliant but considering it was written by Steven Moffat I expected no less and thats something that I am worried about the others, only this one was written by Moffat and the standards have been set very high.

The casting for all the show is brilliant though Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, Martin Freeman as Watson, Mark Gatiss as Mycroft and Andrew Scott for Jim Moriarty.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Sherlock has quickly shot to my 2nd favourite show (sorry but nothing beats South Park for me) todays episode was simply brilliant, and the series is probably the best of any show I have seen in years. And the ending, hoping i'm not the only one but left very confused.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

What are peoples theories on the ending then ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 pm

read one somewhere, Sherlock threw Moriarty off the roof in his coat, then jumped into the trash collection truck that was on the road next to it, this was why Sherlock told Watson to move to the position he did, he couldn't see the body land. Also the cyclist that knocked him over was Molly so that Watson couldn't concentrate properly when he examined the body properly to realise its Moriarty not Sherlock. Either that or when he was knocked over, somehow Molly got some of the drug from Baskerville into his system and with his fear being Sherlock dead that was amplified so that he saw Sherlock on the ground. Just like how Sherlock saw Moriarty in the forest instead of the man who worked at baskerville.

Although something I would love is if it turned out Moriarty was actually Richard Brook or whatever the name of the actor was and he was being paid to be Moriarty so that the true Moriarty hasn't been revealed yet.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm

hodge thats what i had heard that it was the actor Richard Brook that ' jumped ' off the roof and that the real Moriarty is still unknown .

Steven Moffat has come out and said on twitter that there is a glaring clue in the episode that no-one has picked up on that gives a clue to what happen . But i like everyone else missed it
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I think it's due to the 'bodies' that Sherlock keeps in his fridge which is mentioned at the end of the episode by his landlady. Also he needs Molly because she does autopsies and she can make it seem that it was Sherlock who died.

Also something to do with a 'Sherlock' disguise which presumably was used to make that little girl scared of him.

I'd be disappointed if Andrew Scott wasn't Moriarty, as he nailed the character for me and anybody who comes after would always be sort of a fake-Moriarty.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:33 pm

My only fear is that they will sully the first two series by contriving a way to keep Sherlock and Moriarty alive. The first two series are probably the best two series I have ever seen and Sherlock is one of my all time favourite shows, but I hope they don't ruin it by contriving ways in which to keep Sherlock and Moriarty alive. They have to write it so it makes complete sense and isn't somthing ridiculous and almost "cartoony" to keep them alive. That is my only fear, but I trust Moffat and Gatiss to write a plausible way to keep them both going.

And I agree Andrew Scott as Moriarty was superb. In most other representations he is protrayed as an upper class gentleman who is mainly interested in the money and will stop anyone in his way btu I've really enjoyed him being a complete psycho and him being almost the same as Sherlock in that he is in it for the game and enjoyment of the chase, rather than the result. Absolutely great.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 pm

I know the Sherlock story from reading the original books but I've just spent the last hour and a half watching the first episode of this series on I player.

Simply wow.

I don't think I've watched such a well put together show in my life, gripping from start to finish.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:46 am

You better get watching the other two as well Macclads!

I think the first and final episodes are the best, but the second one (based on the hound of baskervilles) is also very good.

I think they are only up until Sunday.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 am

Cheers, will make sure get the others watched tonight then!

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 am

ive not seen this show but i really liked both the films are they close to the films?

might check it out

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 am

no bull. it's set in the modern day but its still worth checking out, very good

Lee

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lee-Killeen-Portfolio/4127373

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:21 am

Much better than the films.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 am

The thing i like about it is that even though its set in the present day its still about Sherlocks ability to work things out with his head rather then using computers or gadgets , i know there are are mobiles and computers used in it but its still boils down to Sherlocks superior mind .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 am

One thing that I did wonder about was why was the stand off at the beginning of the 1st episode and Sherlock pointed the gun at the plastic explosives on the floor.

Erm that wouldnt do anything.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:14 am

Just got around to watching the 1st and 2nd series of this.

Absolutely fantastic. The filming and the little touches (i.e. showing texts as they type or arrive, highlighting what Sherlock is seeing when he analyses someone) are immersive.

The acting is incredible. Martin Freeman in the final scene of the last episode is brilliant.

I have a theory about the ending and I think I know the "glaring clue" that they have alluded to. Not going to put it on here for now in case of spoilers...but I will if anyone wants to discuss.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:17 am

Stick it behind spoiler tags CW thumbsup

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:32 am

Okay here goes...

Spoiler:

Probably all wrong, but you never know.

Last edited by Celtic Warrior on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add the last part of the spoiler.)

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 am

That's a great explaination CW. Wierdly I could imagine Sherlock explaining how he did it as I read that Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:47 am

I have no doubt i'll be wrong. I'm usually way off on these things...but I think it makes sense and ties everything up nicely. Either option could work.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm

I watched the first series quite recently, thought it was absolutely brilliant, worked really well, and the two lead actors were fantastic. Better than the films I thought?

Haven't seen series two, but thankfully my mother has just been given the DVD set for her birthday, and am hoping to borrow it when she's finished watching them.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Highly recommended.

I haven't seen the films, but everyone I've spoken to that has seen both rates the series higher.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm

is the second series as good as the first CW? Looking forward to seeing more of Moriarty, the bit we got at the end of series 1 looked highly promising. Have to agree with Crimey, Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely perfect for the role of Sherlock.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 am

Series 2 is even better than the first.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:33 am

Think you can get both series on DVD for about £15 now, superb deal.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 am

Yeah I would say Series 2 is better.

I bought both Series on Blu-Ray for £25...well worth it.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:23 am

hampo171 wrote:Think you can get both series on DVD for about £15 now, superb deal.

not in France you can't, series 2 is 45 euros at the moment!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 am

Jesus! That's crazy.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 am

C W i like your explanation i can see how both could work good thinking .

Series 1 was free in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago , mate of mine on the railway gave me a copy as he found a couple on the train .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:C W i like your explanation i can see how both could work good thinking .

Series 1 was free in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago , mate of mine on the railway gave me a copy as he found a couple on the train .

There was one other part I was going to add to it.

Spoiler:

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:23 pm

Yes another good idea CW , i hadn't thought of that
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content