The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European and IRB rankings: A rigourous tweak required.

4 posters

Go down

European and IRB rankings: A rigourous tweak required. Empty European and IRB rankings: A rigourous tweak required.

Post by Portnoy Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

Any result over three years old should drop out of the reckoning,

In the ERC rankings, the likes of Tigers past performances weigh too heavily.

In the IRB, top fifteen contests should be treated as double points as if it were an RWC game...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

European and IRB rankings: A rigourous tweak required. Empty Re: European and IRB rankings: A rigourous tweak required.

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

I don't agree (but as a Leinster & Irish fan I wouldn't as the rankings currently reward recent performances).

The ERC rankings take into account how many seasons? It's not like the Tigers victories in at the turn of the millenium are still being included. If anything, it is their consistent topping of groups and reaching semifinals and finals (though not winning in a number of years) that is being rewarded.

I also don't think that Racing or Toulon should be bumped up the rankings because of recent player purchases, but should only be rewarded once they show consistently on the HC stage that they are an elite team.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

European and IRB rankings: A rigourous tweak required. Empty Re: European and IRB rankings: A rigourous tweak required.

Post by greybeard Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

I subtle tweak, maybe.

Comparing the ERC and iRB rankings is a non-starter, they use different algorithms. What is wrong in one is not necessarily wrong in the other. One all-encompassing tweak is imprecise.

The ERC rankings should certainly be weighted, though. A result from 4 years ago should not be considered as valid as a result from this year.

The idea of doubling points in the RWC is not very smart, it unduly disrupts the rankings. A different multiplicative factor would be better.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

Just done a quick check by making the last 2 seasons twice as important as the previous two.

Only 2 changes to the seedings

Leicester and Saints change seedings with Saints now a 1st seed
Ulster and Irish change seedings with Ulster now a 2nd seed

i.e. very little change

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

How bored were you laughing

How about a descending factor: 2011 * 4 + 2010 * 3 + 2009 * 2 + 2008

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

I know Very Happy

I'm not doing it again by the way ! - I actually thinking a decending formula, as you suggest, would give too much weight to the last year. I

The point remains the change would not be as great as some expect.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 26 Jul 2011, 6:31 pm

Why do Cardiff hang around in the top echelons?

It's not just lurking amongst the also-rans in the ML - they always reflect their Nation's HEC contribution - great hosts.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:10 pm

Do Cardiff tend to go get a good run through the Amlin (winning it recently enough) when they don't get out of the group stage and they were also in an epic semi with Tigers only 3 seasons ago so I'd say the rankings are accurate but that they don't tend to get the recognition of progressing through the competitions (and obviously haven't been in HC finals)

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:48 am

Cardiff have made a HC SF and won the Amlin in the last 4 years - that is why they are a 1st seed

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down