The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Greenbrier: Notes from the Ballwasher

+11
Lairdy
super_realist
McLaren
Shotrock
prettyboytone
Davie
Maverick
Sand
venice1
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Greenbrier: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Greenbrier: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:48 pm

1).Another head-scratching win on the PGA Tour, this time by Sean O'Hair. He'd only made three cuts in his previous twelve events, hadn't made a top 15 all year, fired his coach (Sean Foley, still great friends), dumped a caddie or two and by his own admission was at an all-time low last Tuesday. Fortunately he read an inspiring passage in the bible Wednesday night and hasn't looked back. That Gideon fellow has a lot to answer for.

2).What did everybody make of Shaughnessy GC? A "terrific par 73" (which it is for the members) according to Sunshine Goydos, while Geoff Ogilvy lamented bunkers in the "wrong places" and non-indigenous trees being brought in to stiffen up the challenge. And Luke Donald liked the course well enough but decried the set-up.
Questioner: "Is this a (course set-up) you'd like to see more of on Tour?"
Lukey: "Not really. I think they're very close to having it set up well. I think the rough is just a little bit too penal. I think they need an intermediate cut."
But, in the wake of Royal St.George's and the chat about just playing the course, not worrying too much what the par is on any particular hole, it was fascinating watching rounds unravel at Shaughnessy as pros committed the cardinal sin of trying to follow up a poor shot with a perfect shot. Double bogeys everywhere.
I still expect the "Canadian" date to be switched when the new TV Network contract causes some dates to be shuffled.

3).Following the talk about amateurs playing well recently in pro events, it's worth noting that O'Hair turned pro at 17, most unusual in the U.S. Meanwhile amateur Patrick Cantlay has left almost $350K on the tournament table in his last four Tour events.

4).A couple more thoughts about Royal St.George's before we move on:
~The ob to the right of the 14th fairway looks incongruous with the rest of the course. Wonder if anyone has ever sought to borrow land (from Prince's?) just for The Open to make it less penal, especially in Dustin Johnson territory up towards the green where the path/road on Prince's seems to veer away from RStG?

~From the comfort of my armchair, RStG looked a very fair test, yet the press seem to insist on calling it quirky even though The Open evidence didn't really support that. I wonder if Jack Nicklaus's clever (glib?) bon mot that "Open venues get worse the further south you travel" needs to be revised? (He's advocating for Royal Dornoch.)

5).It's The Greenbrier Classic this week with a couple of distinguished multiple Major Champions on hand, Tom Watson and Phil Mickelson. Last year's inaugural edition saw Stuart Appleby clinch the title with a final round 59. Since then there have been changes to the course (details on pgatour.com) including 200 added yards and redone greens. Consensus is that 59 will be nothing but a distant memory this week. Brian Davis the only Briton here.

6).This week will be the final chance to qualify for both the WGC Bridgestone and the PGA Championship. Golfers playing this week with an opportunity to reach the owgr top 50 and Bridgestone exemption are Ryan Palmer, Webb Simpson, Anthony Kim and JB Holmes (all at Greenbrier) and Simon Dyson (in Ireland).
The PGA Championship invites the top 70 moneywinners over the past twelve months and Brandt Jobe, Jerry Kelly and the resurgent Andres Romero lead those on the outside looking in.
In addition, the PGA's goal is to invite the top 100 from the owgr's and Brian Davis (99th) and Robert Rock (102nd) are among those in a precarious position.

7).This week will be the last for Brad Faxon as a regular on the PGA Tour as he plays his 706th PGA Tournament. With eight wins he turns 50 on Aug 1st and heads immediately to Minnesota and next week's Champions Tour stop.

8).Tom Watson, The Greenbrier's "pro emeritus" eschews the US Senior Open to compete in The Greenbrier Classic where he is also joined by fellow seniors Kenny Perry and Tom Pernice. Don't ask me why there are Senior Majors when those eligible choose to play elsewhere.
Interestingly, Watson will be grouped with Mickelson on Thursday and Friday and Watson is adamant the two have never before been paired in a PGA Tour event. Amazing!

9).The US Senior Open is being played at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio. Among winners of significant events at Inverness are Craig Stadler, 1973 US Amateur; Hale Irwin, 1979 US Open; Bob Tway (by one stroke from Norman), 1986 PGA; and Paul Azinger (in a play-off with Norman), 1993 PGA; Bruce Lietzke, 2003 Senior US Open. Stads, Irwin, Tway and Lietzke are hoping to add to past glories.

While we're at it, the US Senior Open, I have a gripe. The US / UK special relationship obviously doesn't apply to the USGA. At least 50 US pros played at Walton Heath last week, about 33 made the cut. How do you think the USGA reciprocates to that hospitality? By excluding all GB&I golfers from the final field. As far as I can see Langer and the faux Irishman, McNulty, are the only "Europeans" at Inverness. Nice. Let's hope Langer wins. Again.

10).And the Nationwide Tour heads West, to Utah, where Russell Knox (6th), Greg Owen (31st), Gary Christian (38th) and Matthew Richardson resume their quest for a PGA Tour card. We'll be tracking their progress all season.

PS: No official word yet on Tiger Woods and his possible participation at the Bridgestone. But: yahoo sports are quoting Sean Foley as telling CBS that, as at Tuesday:
Tiger "hasn't even started working out on the driving range. We have not hit any balls. And I have no idea what his plans are as far as when he plays again." That would appear to rule out the PGA Championship as well and, thus, the FedEx Play-Off season. But who knows, Tiger and his team have been known to tell porkies before . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Greenbrier: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Greenbrier: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by SmithersJones Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

Cheers Kwini. I find it utterly remarkable that anyone might choose a regular tour event over a seniors' major, much less Tom Watson. Perhaps it's his way of telling the powers that be not to have the Senior US Open immediately after the Senior British Open?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Greenbrier: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Greenbrier: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:14 pm

SJ,
Only mitigating factor with Watson is that he's enjoyed a professional relationship with The Greenbrier and its owners for many years. No such cop-out for Perry and Pernice.
Agree the Senior Majors timing is absurd.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:41 am

Great read, kwini. I was just devouring my dinner while thinking/dreaming if one can win the lottery by reading the Bible on Wednesday evening. I suppose Kris Blanks was reading the Satanic Verses and God got steamed.

Add me to the list of wondering why the Seniors Tour and the LPGA are intent on destroying even their flagship tourneys. Couldn't they have pushed the U.S. Senior Open into September or is there something else more important going on than their showcase event. The fact that it's also a promo for the uber-nationalists proves what these guys have been about for decade upon decade.

Bad news on the home front here as I may have destroyed my ACL this weekend doing... housework?! What a wasteful activity that only bodes ill will for us bachelors. I should have been out on the driving range trying to reach the back fence with my driver. Might be a good 4 to 6 month layoff until I should take a full swing. But no reason for my putting and chipping game to go south. Maybe a blessing.

Skanks take a beating tonight after C.C.'s gem last night. It seems like Girardi is trying to hide Jeter's anemic hitting in the line-up by batting him second but where else can he go? Pulling for Derek to make the most of these last 2 months for his sake. We may be looking at a 'farewell tour" next season. I hope not.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

Im with everyone else, cant understand the back to back majors in the Seniors.

Come On Sergio this week in Greenbrier!!

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

Welcome to the Ballwasher, Sand!
Sergio's out there with Daly Thursday and Friday; let's hope it's last week's version of Daly and not the circus we've been used to these past few years. Very curious that CBS really avoided covering JD for most of Sunday's final round in Canada, no idea why.

Ridiculous timing for the two Senior Majors, but not as absurd as last year when they were three timezones further west, in Seattle. Shame on the USGA, (and the PGA Tour last week) and still no explanation as to why they've excluded European players.

Hi venice,
ACL? Bloody Hell!!
Is it just me or is Kris Blanks one of the least attractive "athletes" in any professional sport? Looks like he'd be more at home driving a golfcart with a gun rack on the back, and he sounds bloody miserable also. There's another thread bemoaning the unathletic behaviour of Darren Clarke but at least he looks like he's enjoying himself and is about the most charming interview in sport.

Skanks were playing yesterday as I was writing this nonsense - don't knock Jeter - 5 x RBI's in his last three games!! Perhaps getting past those 3,000 hits was somehow liberating for him? Day off today.

Good luck with the injury . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

The Greenbrier: Thursday, 6.50 a.m.
The early starters are putting the finishing touches to their pre-round routines and making their way to the starter's hut.
Should be a dry day today, not much wind, cloudy and 60F right now but should reach the sunny nineties this afternoon. More of the same Friday but storms possible for the weekend. More later.

Phil and Old Tom (and Apples59) off in an hour, Sergio and Brian Davis in the afternoon "wave".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

Venice I feel you pain on the ACL front.. I am currently in progress of recovery from having a grade 3 tear to my ACL surgically repaired and will not be on the course at least until end of spetember and have only been off the crutches for a few weeks and my Op was in the first week of May.. It's not easy to get over and don't know how it's going to be on the course...

I heard that Appleby had a bit of a Diva moment this week whereby Callaway printed his Applebee.. Logo ever so slightly too large on his balls, and has as result reject to use the 150 they provided him with for the week menaing they had to provide another 150 re-printed to him for the event..

Also another lighthearted point isn't this week the nationwide moustache week where they sport facial hair for the event.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

Maverick wrote:Callaway printed his Applebee.. Logo ever so slightly too large on his balls

Shocked

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Mav,
I missed that Appleby story. Wasn't the genesis of it that they produced a special edition of balls with a 59 on them for him?

Interesting that Appleby's playing with Mickelson today; he and Phil have had some differences of opinion over the years, not least when Phil managed to skip the mandatory pro-am prior to a long ago Byron Nelson. Stuie thought Phil was getting special treatment from the Tour, which he obviously was.

A 2007 Golf Digest interview has much more on his opinions on, well, virtually everything.
http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2007-09/applebyqa_0709?currentPage=1

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm

Kwini not sure if they were the 59 balls. But i have seen on his own twitter feed since my last post and can confirm he mentions on there they printed the wrong size logo so he rejected them

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

Mav,
Seems they're on sale at The Greenbrier for $4.00 apiece!
Appleby's a good interview, seems like he was winding up the press crew during his interview on Tuesday, too.

Just had a butcher's at the full field for the USGA's Senior "Closed" and can confirm that the only European apart from Langer is Sweden's Mikael Hogberg (I think they made that name up).

Sometimes you wonder about the USGA, about as one-sided an organisation as the people (Justice Dept?) who apply extradition treaties between the US and GB - ever heard of any American being extradited? No?? Thought not.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyboytone Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

Gone for some long shots this week, fancied Garcia for a place, but you aren't getting rich quick from £10 at 16/1!

So I backed these guys outright, hardly any of them have much form but ask Sean O'Hair since when did that matter?

Brian Davis 80/1 £10
Trevor Immelman 150/1 £5
Heath Slocum 100/1 £5
Scott Verplank 100/1 £5
Marc Turnesa 300/1 £5

No doubt another £30 wasted!

You have any real fancies this week Kwini?

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

Hi tone,
Not really!

So I'll tell you who I put on my yahoo fantasy team:
*Webb Simpson
*Jonathan Byrd
*Jeff Overton
*Charlie Howell

Davis didn't play well here last year, but one would think it's the type of track that would suit him; likewise Immelman - sooner or later he'll be back to his standards of 2006 - 2008. Good start anyway!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyboytone Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

I really fancied Overton but I just don't see him ever being good value at 20/1! Although any winner is good value I guess, he'll win soon.

Best of luck with your picks!

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

Kwini - Awesome reporting yet again. Thanks for this.

I kind of wish the British Senior Championship and the USGA were on the same weekend ... then wish they held it at a course like Royal Dornoch (my bucket list must play course) ... amped up the purse ... THEN the USGA would see what would happen. But to be honest, I've never been much for the Senior Tour anyway. No comparison in crowds for the Senior PGA our course hosted a few years back to the regular tour event. Once got into a discussion with a guy who was convinced it was much harder to play on the senior tour then the regular tour. Sure, a more limited field, but not the same level of play.

Second Lake bound in 48 hours! Look to play Newport, Thendara and just received a Sadaquada invite (ever play there?, last I played there Jimmy Carter was President!)

Let's see if O'Hair can carry some for in the next few weeks. Would be nice.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

Shotrock, Thanks!
Hope this reaches you before you head north! Pl say Hi! to Pete and Toni for me - not many days here that we don't invoke Pete's name in some context or another - a coat-tail relative of mine is building an extension to CJ's place at Pine Hills so I've got to get there to have a look also.
I too haven't played Sadaquada since the Carter administration! Played in one of the old business events (what were they called? I know I played one at Oneida Silversmiths' course which was much more fun - got chucked out of Joel's Steakhouse that evening for gross misbehaviour on their carousel! Moi?) there.

Interesting article the other day in one of the Golf mag's (GolfWorld, I think) saying that the PGA Tour, LPGA, R&A and the USGA need to get together on the golfing calendar to the mutual advantage of all, rather than have each Tour stage events that they know is going to cannibalize each other. This week being a prime example of course.

Good luck with SO'H, he'll be in the Firestone field next week and, of course, the PGA both of which are nice little bonusses for him.

Bon voyage and plenty of bon appetit! I can't get down to Newport this next week but, unless my passport shows up and enables me to get to the Tennis in Montreal, I'll be there in a fortnight.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:53 pm

Nothing spectacular in the early scoring at The Greenbrier.
Ironic that on a day which sees Brad Faxon receive the clearest signal (78th of 78) that his voyage to the Champions Tour is overdue, Billy Mayfair who has probably played more Tour events than anyone left on the PGA Tour should be leading.

Adam Hadwin, last week's Canadian success story playing well and Messrs Simpson and Palmer off to decent starts as they try to wrap up Bridgestone places.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

Really think the breakthrough win for Webb is not that far away he seems to show steady progress each season. S'OH did well to hang on last week and is a guy that really should achieve more in my mind. Whats going on with Mahan at the moment he's a guy i like and started the season well but seems to be quiet of late on the course but getting more of a profile for his golf boys antics.

Was quite impressed with Hadwin last week and how he stayed in touch down the stretch and was good to see that JD let his golf do the talking and not his loudmouth clothing

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:27 pm

Hi Mav,
Simpson was very unlucky at New Orleans - only a moving ball as he addressed a putt condemned him to a play-off with Bubba and kept him from winning. But it's his putting that seems to hold him back.

Not sure about Mahan but he returns to the scene of the crime at Bridgestone next week . . . .

Immelman going nicely, prettyboytone will be pleased.

Nationwide update: I see Greg Owen and Russell Knox failed to come under starters orders, only Englishmen Christian and Richardson competing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:43 am

Who knows what to believe from the Tiger Woods camp any more.

Two days after Foley tells CBS Woods "hasn't even started working out on the driving range yet", he has announced that he'll be teeing it up at Firestone on Thursday with Bryon Bell on his bag.

As I said, the Woods people have been known "to tell porkies before".

Must admit, I'm fed up with Woods and his attitude to the Tour and the public.
But, if he's fit and remotely competitive, he needs to play the Bridgestone and probably the following week's PGA to stand a chance of qualifying for the FedEx Play-Offs.
If he's as competitive as last year, he'll finish 78th at the Bridgestone and take home $35K. And need a decent result in Atlanta to be eligible for The Barclays.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

Thanks for the link to the Appleby interview, quite a read. Maybe Rory should read that and learn how to speak frankly in a mature and interesting manner. I want to hear sports people talk like Appleby and not like a child throwing playground insults around.

As for Tiger, I can only hope he is actually fit and not rushing himself back only to end up out again next year. As good as the majors have been of late we only need another shuan mikeel type win to show that at least when tiger is around we have tiger to marvel at.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:58 am

McLaren wrote:Thanks for the link to the Appleby interview, quite a read. Maybe Rory should read that and learn how to speak frankly in a mature and interesting manner. I want to hear sports people talk like Appleby and not like a child throwing playground insults around.

As for Tiger, I can only hope he is actually fit and not rushing himself back only to end up out again next year. As good as the majors have been of late we only need another shuan mikeel type win to show that at least when tiger is around we have tiger to marvel at.

Mac, I have seldom ever heard something so simpering and sickening coming from a grown man, especially ironic as you had just accused McIlroy of being immature.
You sound like a starstruck teenager.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:03 am

Mac,
At least Micheel's win was exciting, with a great last/winning shot, though between boring characters.

Some funny old scores at The Greenbrier Thursday; I should have noted that Jonathan Byrd has now averaged almost 75 shots per round his last seven rounds, usually on par 70's. Not sure why I picked him, and not too sure how a player's form goes off a cliff quite like that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

Mac I think you need that box of kleenex you've been banging on about after those sickly Woods loving comments...

The majors this year have been far more entertaining without your messiah... And no surprise he returns at firestone where there is no cut so his followers don't have to live with the embarrassment of a missed cut

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

Still he was second to last in 2010, perhaps he can improve on that. Wink

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:03 pm

You guys can fawn over the likes of Clarke so let me do the same for Tger. He is my hero and I make no appologies for that. Many people of my age who grow up watching him and playing golf because of him feel this way. I guess those who grow up watching jack feel the same and must know what it feels like when a legand starts to struggle.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

Mac, there is something creepy and unsettling about a grown man having a "hero".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

The first two threesomes are on the move at The Greenbrier under partly cloudy skies with temps rapidly rising from mid-sixties to low 90's. Forecast also looks fair for the weekend, small chance of thunderstorms both Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Strange day Thursday but looking at the scores of Brian Davis and Sergio shows how important putting is at the pro level.

Sergio only missed three greens but took 34 putts, none of them longer that 4ft 10 inches, and finished +2.

Brian Davis only HIT seven greens, but only needed 24 putts and finished +1.

As suggested above, Trevor Immelman was due for a good tournament and up he stepped, only missed one green. Strongly recommend following Immelman if you get the chance; seems very much an old-style game, actual ball-striking very impressive.

Charlie Howell made his first Greenbrier bogey in 87 holes late in his round and followed up two holes later with another dropped shot. Looked to be playing well though. Big names really struggling include Holmes and Byrd.

First-round scores 2 1/2 strokes higher than the 2010 average.

As for Firestone qualification, Webb Simpson is looking good, Ryan Palmer (at +2) has it all to do.

Just a footnote to the Tiger chat: I agree with Mav to a certain extent, in that Firestone offers the opportunity for FOUR rounds, guaranteed, and he and his camp have always said tournament play is what he needs, "reps" in Tiger speak.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyboytone Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Impressed once again by Gary Woodland last night, it makes a change for someone who hits the ball so hard to still have such a technically sound swing.

Forecast set fair for today Kwini?

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

SR

Clearly I no lonhger think of him in the hero terms I did when I was 12, but the memories are there and call it sentiment if you will but I have a soft spot for him in one way or another.

Kwini

I guess 4 rounds guarnteed is good thing provided he is fit enough to play four rounds. Although it would be better to see him return both fit and with his swing in good shape. I other words when four rounds are guaranteed whatever the event is.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

Mac, we've all got our favourite players, the difference is that we don't lament their careers passing or look on wistfully wishing for them to one day scale old heights like some rose tinted spectacle wearing stalker.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

'Afternoon tone,
Yup, Woodland could easily be leading right now. He's off in half an hour. Fair/warm weather today.

You must be pleased w/Immelman? Now that he's fully fit I expect him to be winning tournaments, maybe even Majors, very soon.
(As for Byrd and Overton the less said the better.)

Mac,
Fact is all we know about Tiger's fitness is what we actually see on the golfcourse.
I don't think he does anyone a service, least of all him, by being so secretive about his status for tournaments and general fitness; he's just encouraging the second-guessers, and not just on here. Plus he's accumulating resentment within the press and, given their sycophantic support in the past, that's really shooting himself in the foot.
(I think Byron Bell runs his design business so easy to see why he'd be available.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:The first two threesomes are on the move at The Greenbrier under partly cloudy skies with temps rapidly rising from mid-sixties to low 90's. Forecast also looks fair for the weekend, small chance of thunderstorms both Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Strange day Thursday but looking at the scores of Brian Davis and Sergio shows how important putting is at the pro level.

Sergio only missed three greens but took 34 putts, none of them longer that 4ft 10 inches, and finished +2.

Brian Davis only HIT seven greens, but only needed 24 putts and finished +1.

As suggested above, Trevor Immelman was due for a good tournament and up he stepped, only missed one green. Strongly recommend following Immelman if you get the chance; seems very much an old-style game, actual ball-striking very impressive.

Charlie Howell made his first Greenbrier bogey in 87 holes late in his round and followed up two holes later with another dropped shot. Looked to be playing well though. Big names really struggling include Holmes and Byrd.

First-round scores 2 1/2 strokes higher than the 2010 average.

As for Firestone qualification, Webb Simpson is looking good, Ryan Palmer (at +2) has it all to do.

Just a footnote to the Tiger chat: I agree with Mav to a certain extent, in that Firestone offers the opportunity for FOUR rounds, guaranteed, and he and his camp have always said tournament play is what he needs, "reps" in Tiger speak.

Watched a bit of Sergio yesterday, didnt play well at all, although took 34 putts wouldnt necessarily say it was his putting that was at fault, lots of irons hit into the greens 25 - 50 ft away.. Hit a lot of good putts at times, hears hoping he saves them all for today.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

Much better start by Sergio today, two under par for his first three holes. Daly in reverse.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

Thats the thing about Sergio - his ball striking is so good that his bad shots still land on the green. A lot of other's bad shots land off the green. Victim of his own great ball striking really and his touch putting from distance is actually really good but the comdination does leave a lot of 6-3 footers which can wear you down. Moving in the right direction today though!

I really do like Woodland. Of all the long hitters on tour (inc Bubba, DJ and Quiros) I think he'll be the most successful. Stronger, more control, better temperament and a good putter.

Will be watching tonight for Immelman's swing. Not really watched it in a while. Think he was always laid off at the top but still a nice swing.

Hope the golf isnt getting in the way of Phil's family holiday! Seemed to work for him week of The Open I suppose.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, we've all got our favourite players, the difference is that we don't lament their careers passing or look on wistfully wishing for them to one day scale old heights like some rose tinted spectacle wearing stalker.

So what's the difference between the thousands, probably millions, that were sad to see Seve's career end before its time or wished on Tom Watson so willingfully at Turnberry and Mac hoping for Tiger to return to form? Are they all just wearing the rose tinted specs?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

Maverick wrote:Mac I think you need that box of kleenex you've been banging on about after those sickly Woods loving comments...

The majors this year have been far more entertaining without your messiah... And no surprise he returns at firestone where there is no cut so his followers don't have to live with the embarrassment of a missed cut
Did I miss something or was he not there, and part of, the most exciting finish to a major this year?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

Lairdy, there's a big difference as you well know. Of course we wanted Seve to comeback or Watson to win the Open, but it seems from his comments that Mac almost frets at the decline of Woods and that his golfing life isn't complete if he doesn't regain form.
For any adult to have that sort of dependency on one individual to sustain their interest in golf is quite sad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

Leaderboard concertina-ing this morning, lots of decent scores, nothing really low, Sergio one of the very few taking advantage. Seems to be holing some of the length putts he was missing Thursday.

Two Canadians in the top ten, deja vu all over again from last week.

Withdrawal by Michael Sim, What is wrong with him? So much promise the last few years but this year nothing. Clearly not going to claim him as British again until he turns things around.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

Lairdy wrote:
Maverick wrote:Mac I think you need that box of kleenex you've been banging on about after those sickly Woods loving comments...

Did I miss something or was he not there, and part of, the most exciting finish to a major this year?

What was more enticing in that one major he played wasn't woods, it was how A Scott, J Day held up down the stretch and how C Schwartzel came through to be the first player to win with 4 straight birdies. Not how Woods finished 4th...

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

Super

I am glad lairdy made that point as that was pretty much what I was wondering. Everyone loved that DC won, people seem to have seen seve like a god and no doubt people were sad when the likes of Jack and arnie could no longer compete.

Just because I do not identify with DC, the drinking and smoking everyman!!, I somehow have a problem. Whereas those so happy to see clarke back to form are just what exactly?

I am also happy to see sergio regain some of his prior form does that also render me a nut job? One things for sure i hope never to see tom watson anywhere near the top 50 of a major leaderboard again. No doubt an unpopular opinion but hey ho.

Last edited by McLaren on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

super_realist wrote:Lairdy, there's a big difference as you well know. Of course we wanted Seve to comeback or Watson to win the Open, but it seems from his comments that Mac almost frets at the decline of Woods and that his golfing life isn't complete if he doesn't regain form.
For any adult to have that sort of dependency on one individual to sustain their interest in golf is quite sad.
I actually dont see that big a difference when its written down. If Tiger was Mac's hero then why cant he fret over his decline/injury status? And why wouldnt Tiger have such fans when he is responsible for attracting so many fans to golf in the first place? Tbh while I think Mac throws out a worm every now and then to attract a few bites I dont think he literally fawns over pictures of Tiger woods as much as he might sound or some would like to imagine. Additionally, I see a bit of hypocrisy when Tiger fans get slagged for hoping he recovers from a couple of injuries to loads of fans who were willing a 60year old over the line when normally the chances of winning a major are deemed to be lost in the mid 40s.

Mav, he did whip up the crowd a bit to be fair. I'm no big Tiger fan but even I thought he did his part for the drama unfolding that sunday.

Kwini, was going to ask about Sim. Seems to have had a lot of injuries the past 2 seasons, unfortunately.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

Kwini, what hole do you want on the JD WD sweep?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

Mac, perhaps it was more the manner in which you wrote it, whereas other people might simply like to see Seve and Watson win,you describe Woods as your "hero" despite being a grown man, almost having a deep emotional bond and in previous posts have said you "miss" Woods. Seems a bit more desperate than someone simply wishing the likes of Clarke, Garcia etc well.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

SR

I do not miss tiger in the same way you would miss a lover but when the golf is on I miss his presence at the events. I also miss the greatness he brought to the game and the sensation that you were watching major historic events. It made golf feel like a big time event but now that feeling is gone.

When I was a kid tiger was my idol and I couldn’t wait for him to knock jack from his perch, I still cant and it would be sad if tiger was robbed of the chance because of injury.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

Lairdy,
What I didn't realise is that there's a guy who plays some Tour events, but is really a Nationwider, who has withdrawn more often than Daly over the past few years. I think JD will see this one out; he garnered a bucketload of goodwill in Canada last week and think even he would be loth to toss that away.

Three at -6 now, but no-one taking charge.

As for Woods, surely The Masters showed up his ability and his fragility, talent to get in contention but nervous/yippish tendancies on the putting green under pressure? Would think only more competition will eradicate that and I seriously doubt he'll get close enough at Firestone to test himself.

Mac's views on Watson a bit disappointing - not only is he popular with the fans, but he (and perhaps others) also reminds golfers everywhere that there's more than one way to play the game, and that might even be good for architects.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

Professional golf will be better, IMO, when Tiger's back competing. When in form, a dominating force we haven't seen since the likes of Jake Nicklaus. Who wouldn't want to see that in action?

He almost certainly won't bring his best stuff to Firestone, but you have to start somewhere. 50/50 to even make the cut.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

No cut at Firestone, so he's guaranteed four rounds in advance of PGA Championship, fitness permitting presumably.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

Some disappointing missed cuts in Ireland, none more so than Robert Rock and that probably puts the kybosh on his chances for invite to the PGA Championship. Too bad that his nice stretch of form has not been appropriately rewarded.

Does anyone know if the Irish Open winner is exempt into the Bridgestone? Assume it's highly marginal, which would be an indictment on the European Tour's inability to secure a high enough quality field. Dyson and Jacquelin each still have a chance of qualification, but only with a win.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next