The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this bullying?

+3
Cari
John Cregan
bluemoda
7 posters

Go down

Is this bullying? Empty Is this bullying?

Post by bluemoda Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

The Central Competitions Control Committee have forced Wexford's Anthony Masterson into writing a written apology to referee Derek Fahy after their match against Limerick, otherwise he would face an 8 week suspension from football. Though he has not yet posted the letter, Mastersosn has indicated that he will apologise. The poor guy now has to apologise for speaking out or be banned.

Masterson was right in his criticism, the goal should not have been allowed. Maybe he should weight up his options, and if it isn't going to affect his club too much, take the 8 week ban.

Four questions:

1.Is is the job of the CCCC to police the players in this fashion? I thought their job was to organise the games, times and venues .

2.Is this bullying? Masterson is a player from a less high profile team. Had this been a Tyrone of Kerry player, would they have had the balls to issue such an ultimatum?

3. Where is the GPA in this. I though they were there to represent the player's interests. HQ will be giving them €10 million over the next few years. Have the GPA jumped into bed with HQ and therefore the primary reason for their foundation has been compromised.

4. Where is the Wexford County Board and are they not prepared to stand up for one of their players, If not, why not.

I'm in a bad mood this morning and I'm in no mood for work. Just come back from arseing around the West of Ireland ove the last 10 days. Has a great time, Connemara, Mayo and Sligo are absolutely georgeous. Highly recommended.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Is this bullying? Empty Re: Is this bullying?

Post by John Cregan Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

Glad you enjoyed the hols..................

It was a point , not a goal.........if it was a goal, the net would have helped the umpires decide!!

I don't think you can say either way that it wasn't a point, i think the video is very inconclusive. Both the ref and one umpire thought it was a point while one umpire thought it was wide..................

The biggest error Fahy made in the match was allowing the Wexford goal when their player handpassed the ball to himself before scoring..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm

Yes of course, it was a point. One of the papers this morning mentioned that it was a goal. I saw the game and knew when I posting this that something was not quite right with what I was saying. Anyway, the thing is - is the guy being bullied?

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm

I've just come back from arseing around Dublin myself, Bluemoda Smile

Anyway, I appreciate that the need/will to maintain the fair play spirit of the sport, but surely this undermines that spirit? Any apology should come directly from the person who might have offended at their own free will, not because they were told to or else. Threatening a player into making such an apology is in itself detrimental to fairness.

Since when has it been so controversial to speak out against a referees decision anyway? You see it all the time in other sports - from coaches, fans, players and pundits. They don't get asked to apologise unless they've said something particularly offensive, like personally insulted the referee. Generally the post match criticism of the referee is seen as part and parcel of sport analysis.

I do think that Masterson should get some support from the Wexford County Board. It's a bit unfair for him to be treated so harshly, and not get support from them at all - whether they agree with his comments or not, he's still their player and they should support him.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

Hi Cari, how did you enjoy our great capital, hope you had a great time.

Me, 10 days doing nothing, but I'm not finished doing nothing yet, hence the difficulty in getting back into work mode.

Apparently, Masterson said what he said on a radio interview, can't help wondering if he had tweeted instead, would he now be subjected to this threat.

I think he's being treated very badly and bullying is the only word for it.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Yeah it was fab thanks. Missed my beloved Boys in Blue though because of the poxy draw, but nevermind. I'll be back over there again when Conal and Bernard come to their senses and ask me out Wink

I think if Masterson published his comments on Twitter it could've got worse for him. At least on the radio, you can argue that the comment was a thoughtless casual one taken out of context or prompted by the questions of the interviewer. On Twitter it's a permanent published comment done by the individual which can then be forwarded to others and used by other media. Also, on Twitter things can be escalated by others commenting on the original comment. We've seen a few sports stars get into bother over Twitter comments and arguements on there. I still agree that he was treated harshly though regardless of the medium used to make such comments. I've heard a lot worse from the mouths of sports people, and they usually get coersed into making a public apology themselves.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

He should have told the c.c.c.c to f*ck off and taken the 8 week ban. Now he just look's a bit stupid.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

Don't wait for them to ask you out. Go to a game, run on to the field at the end of the game and jump them there and then. No introductions needed, job done.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:He should have told the c.c.c.c to f*ck off and taken the 8 week ban. Now he just look's a bit stupid.

proper order too dub, just tell them to f--- off, but for some reason that I can't pinpoint, this incident has really angered me.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

Well it's ridiculous to make him write a letter of apology.

Good shout on the pitch invasion...might get away with a quick grope there too...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:39 pm

I'll write it for him.

"I deeply regret that the CCCCCCCC members took offence at my comments"
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed 03 Aug 2011, 6:50 pm

His fellow players have now stuck up for him on twitter it seems. I don't mind criticism of referees but I'm also for drawing the line and still respecting their decision. However, the refs seem to be getting so many big decisions wrong when the players put so much in and their season ends by a terrible call.

What Masterson said about the ref should've been up to the GAA themselves, not one of the players. He shouldn't have to apologise.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:17 am

Speaking of Twitter, players have been warned about watching what they post on it:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-to-crack-down-on-abuse-by-twitter-2839273.html

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

You give respect to refeees and you get respect back. He should apologise.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

Thomond wrote:You give respect to refeees and you get respect back. He should apologise.

Thom - I don't think anyone is disagreeing with an apology to the referee, but the fact that this particular player was forced to write a letter to do it or be banned.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:34 am

It's because he did it in a public way unlike others who've criticized refs.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down