The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons sign Samoan Flanker

4 posters

Go down

Newcastle Falcons sign Samoan Flanker Empty Newcastle Falcons sign Samoan Flanker

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

Newcastle have signed Taiasina Tu'ifua from Counties Manukau and the Chiefs. An abrasive flanker, who stands at 6'6 and can fill in at lock, he should be a decent signing for the Falcons.

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7079761,00.html

What are the thoughts on this signing?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons sign Samoan Flanker Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons sign Samoan Flanker

Post by TrailApe Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:20 am

From the Falcons website

"Samoan international Taiasina Tu'ifua has completed his move to Newcastle Falcons, as the club steps up the chase for key signings ahead of the new season.
Tu'ifua, 26, was instrumental in helping Samoa claim a memorable 32-23 scalp over Australia in Sydney's Olympic Stadium, last month.
The 6ft 6' flanker, who can also play at No.8, featured for 79 minutes of the historic triumph, before he was replaced at the death by Manu Salavea.

Making his test debut during a 34-15 win against Japan in Tokyo two months ago, Tu'ifua was in sublime form earning himself further caps at Fiji in the Pacific Nations Cup and the shock win over the Aussies.

Tu'ifua's recent international exploits have thrust himself in to the spotlight with a host of clubs showing a keen interest in his services. But the Falcons have got their man with head coach Alan Tait hailing the giant Samoan, as a "magnificent capture."

"I'm absolutely ecstatic that he has decided to sign for us. We have been holding out to find this sort of player and we have finally got our man," said Tait.

"He's a big man, a good ball carrier and will give us so many dimensions to our set-up. He was a big part of the Samoan team which conquered Australia a fortnight ago and I am delighted that we held out for him," he added.

And the Scotsman reveals he is in the market for more key signings, as he looks to bolster his squad ahead of the new campaign.

He said: "Everyone knows we are after a big centre but he has to be the right type of player. We are again holding out for that player and hopefully we will get something tied up before the season starts."

The signing of Tu'ifua ensures a strong Samoan presence on Tyneside, following the transfer of rapid centre Jamie Helleur to the North-East. Helleur previously revealed to Falcons TV how he had turned down the chance to play at the World Cup, in order to focus on helping the Falcons realise its long-term ambitions."

Looks a big, grunty, go forward lad. I wonder if he's in the call up for the RWC?

TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons sign Samoan Flanker Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons sign Samoan Flanker

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

He will be going to the World Cup.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

Could be a cracking signing....lots of competition there now
Mayhew, Swinson, Hogg, Welch, etc...

Still would love to see a bruiser of a hooker come in...and a top class centre to guide our youngsters.

Maybe Helleur is the man...but i havent seen much of him to comment.
Is Eves going to be a good player. Fitzpatrick,

I hope Catterick gets some game time at FB.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

PS...im really not sure what the 1st XV will be this season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

Looks a really good signing to me. I'd almost written Newcastle off, but you never know.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down