The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how many handicap counting rounds will you play this season?

+17
golfermartin
oldparwin
Sand
Doon the Water
BlueCoverman
beninho
SmithersJones
Bob_the_Job
drive4show
JPX
JAS
Maverick
Mercurio
Rossa
navyblueshorts
Davie
barragan
21 posters

Go down

how many handicap counting rounds will you play this season? Empty how many handicap counting rounds will you play this season?

Post by barragan Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:18 am

just approximately.

interested to know how many your club run on average each month. also how many of your rounds will be away from your home club.

i'm playing approx 34 this year of which 21 are at my home club(including 2 opens). 9 are at my away club (inc 2 opens) and 4 opens at away courses.

my home club runs approx 3-4 club comps each month. my away club runs approx 5-6 each month.

barragan

Back to top Go down

how many handicap counting rounds will you play this season? Empty Re: how many handicap counting rounds will you play this season?

Post by Davie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:23 am

I've already played 12. On course for probably 18-20 in the whole year. All at my home course

Davie

Back to top Go down

how many handicap counting rounds will you play this season? Empty Re: how many handicap counting rounds will you play this season?

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

12-24 most years; this year much the same.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

About 24...ish
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

My rolling 12 month average is 26, so it'll be there or thereabouts.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

My total would be 4...

Already played them all before succumbing to this damned injury. All were good rounds fortunately. I had plannd to play a total of 20 qualifying rounds made up of 4 Scratch Opens, 4 Club Majors, 8 Club Medals, 3 Shotgun qualifiers for other events and 1 Former Services Open.

All I actually managed were 3 Club medals and 1 Club Major. Fortunately the major I won so can't complain

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

It's looking like I'll get close to 40 with only about 15 coming from my home course, about 9-10 from my 2nd course and the rest opens, predominately 36 holers (that's assuming I get in to broadway, Liphook and Trevose in Oct.

I think at the end of the year I'll sit down and plan a better schedule for next year. I did feel overgolfed on a couple of occasions during the spring/summer to (I think) the detriment of my game, certainly my scoring!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

Played about 30 already this year and tbh I'm all golfed out, really struggling to get any motivation to get out on course atm.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

I've played over 20 so far and will hit the 30 mark by the end of the year. Unlikely to play any more at my home club, lots of opens left before the end of the year. I've scaled back a bit on competitive golf recently, seemed like every round I had a card in my hand. Played for fun on Sunday and last night, really enjoyed the change Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

There seems to be some serious over golfed guys on here. 40 competitive rounds is a hell of a lot.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

All Saturday competitions during the "summer" season count to handicap, as do the monthly medals and about 10 opens, so all in all, about 40 of which I'll have played about 3/4
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:10 pm

I've only managed 12 since the beginning of April. Makes me feel like a bandit, seeing all these 20s and 30s. Don't you all have jobs?

We have a weekend medal once a month, a weekend eclectic once a month and maybe a drawn comp once a month, two at a push. Midweek medal is not usually possible for me as it's just one day, and one week of the month they run a midweek eclectic. I've played a couple of those and one midweek medal. We don't have qualifiers in the winter months.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

Are these just the competitive rounds? 20/30/40 then friendly games on top of that?

I love golf but even i would get bored with that many rounds. Do you not have wives, family, friends or other hobbies to keep you occupied?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

beninho wrote:Are these just the competitive rounds? 20/30/40 then friendly games on top of that?

I love golf but even i would get bored with that many rounds. Do you not have wives, family, friends or other hobbies to keep you occupied?
All regional / national comps that are 2 - 4 rounds long with a few club events. I don't have any commitments and work part time to fund my golf, which I'm beginning to question. Decision time.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:24 pm

beninho wrote:Are these just the competitive rounds? 20/30/40 then friendly games on top of that?

Most of my rounds tend to be competitive.. because I do have a job, wife and family so don't get to play that many social games mid-week, and most of the weekend games at my club are competitive.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:26 pm

Of course we have wives and family...why do you think we play so much golf?!!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

I have a wife and a handful of kids the course is my escape from them all and their escape from me...

With the scratch comps/club majors/services golf comp broken down to individual rouns I guess this would bring me upto 32 competitive rounds os more than I imagined.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

I would agree Mav, I think I have found out this year that you can actually play too much competitive golf. Its a bit like booze really, very addictive and in moderation is absolutely fine but take care not to overdo it. I think this year I would class myself as a heavy binge golfer who needs to sort myself out...is there a Golfers Anonymous out there!!

Having said that playing a lot is fine if the balance between Medal, matchplay and fun rounds is right. Last year I had too much matchplay (can't be helped if you keep winning) and not enough medals, this year I've done the opposite. Common to both years was not enough pressure free fun rounds in between.

Good thread topic by the way ban_bam

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

JAS wrote:I would agree Mav, I think I have found out this year that you can actually play too much competitive golf. Its a bit like booze really, very addictive and in moderation is absolutely fine but take care not to overdo it. I think this year I would class myself as a heavy binge golfer who needs to sort myself out...is there a Golfers Anonymous out there!!

Having said that playing a lot is fine if the balance between Medal, matchplay and fun rounds is right. Last year I had too much matchplay (can't be helped if you keep winning) and not enough medals, this year I've done the opposite. Common to both years was not enough pressure free fun rounds in between.

Good thread topic by the way ban_bam

This year was going to be my most packed year for a while with Comps as I'm at a new club and wanted my Club Order of Merit ranking higher so that next year I can put a proper schedule together as you say matching up the correct mix of strokeplay and matchplay isn't easy. Fortunately enough even though I only managed 4 comps not counting the fun father and child comp my last one was the Club Masters which I was luck enough to win. This means my ranking is good enough based on that to get into next years major events. So looking forward next years schedule will be practice, couple medals and mainly major comps so will look like this.

4 x Medals
4 x Club Majors (Totals 8 Rounds if make cut in each event)
4 x Scratch Events (away from club(Totals 8 Rounds if make cut in each event))
Then it'd be the club scratch matchplay and our local region matchplay.

I think by playing too many competitve rounds you can damage you game more than not playing enough. Some guys play bare minimum to protect their handicap, I want to get cut further and as far as I can but too much competition can fog what your trying to achieve

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

I made the decision to stop playing competitive golf last year. It was that or give it up altogether as I was not enjoying club golf.
First real test came last week when I was invited to play in a team for a posh charity golf day. First thought was, 'that's nice' then I remembered I did not have an active handicap and in the end I was quite pleased to turn down the invite.
I have a regular golf partner who works Wed to Sun as a shop manager so has never bothered to join a club. We play to a similar standard and have enjoyable bounce games. I keep our ' two man society' handicaps live and it is interesting to find that I am really enjoying my golf again and my handicap has dropped from 16 to 13 and my playing partner is down from 26 to 17.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

I have next week off work and I've just realized I'll be playing 5 times in 9 days - two of which will be qualifiers, two "bounce" games and one Captain's charity (fun) day

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:18 pm

Ive played in 32 medal rounds so far this year. My club has competitions either sat/sun and on a wednesday. Also played in 3 opens so far this year.

Played quite a few bounce games too..

Dont feel golfed out although did think last week of stopping playing for a few weeks after shooting worst score for years last week.

Soon lost that by playing some good golf yesterday and getting my lowest medal round at my new course.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

From May to September will play about 6/7 per month, and from October to April will play about 3/4 all at my home club, and the majority are all classed as qualifiers.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

I normally play between 12 and 16 qualifiers. Most I've ever done is 27 but that was before the club scrapped winter qualifiers.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

I'll probably have played a dozen or so medal rounds at my own club by the end of the year and about half a dozen or so Opens rounds elsewhere. I'm starting to appreciate the 606 meets and I reckon next year will try and play on a bit of a 'tour' starting with Saunton at Easter, Bournemouth in June and try and add at least 3 or 4 more in throughout the year. That way even if the golf is sh!te at least you get away for a few days and have a laugh, a curry and a few beers Ale
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

102 in the the last year...................

OK I live in NZ and we have our handicaps worked out using handicap differential based on slope indexs.
So it's my best 10 scores of my last 20 rounds irrespective of in a comp or not but most of mine are as play at least two a week .

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

I've played 25 counting rounds at my home club so far this year, as well as 7 away scores so 32 so far.

Would expect to end up somewhere in the mid-40's by the end of the season. Started at 3.1, went as low as 2.2 then back up to 3.2, currently at 2.9. Fair to say my handicap's pretty accurate then from that amount of rounds!

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Rangiora wrote:102 in the the last year...................

OK I live in NZ and we have our handicaps worked out using handicap differential based on slope indexs.
So it's my best 10 scores of my last 20 rounds irrespective of in a comp or not but most of mine are as play at least two a week .

This is week 31 so you must have played 4 competition rounds a week, every week. Are you sure you have your numbers correct?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:23 pm

drive4show wrote:

This is week 31 so you must have played 4 competition rounds a week, every week. Are you sure you have your numbers correct?

I think Rangiora is really the Greece Finance Minister!

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:34 pm

Mercurio wrote:
drive4show wrote:

I think Rangiora is really the Greece Finance Minister!

The answer is in the detail, that is 102 from 5 Aug last year to 5 Aug this year. Am also trying to point out that we are not under Congu so our handicaps are calculated differently as we don't have SSS or CSS but our courses are Slope rated .

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Rangiora

Aaah OK, sorry I thought we were talking about 2011 thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sat 06 Aug 2011, 8:14 am

thumbsup

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:01 pm

A bit like Rangiora. Every round that gets played between April 1 and October 15 unless its a mickey mouse scramble or equally contrived competition; think Member-Member 6 holes scramble, foursomes and fourball. After October 15 its just for fun for as long as possible depending upon whether the course is open and that there's no white rudey poo (snow) on the ground.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down