The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 Middleweight rankings

+15
The Galveston Giant
Mind the windows Tino.
sittingringside
Bob
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
Liam_Main
Colonial Lion
oxring
Fists of Fury
captain carrantuohil
HumanWindmill
88Chris05
Rowley
Imperial Ghosty
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

606v2 Middleweight rankings - Page 2 Empty 606v2 Middleweight rankings

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought i'd be kind to certain posters and muddy the waters even further by starting the middleweight rankings now which again includes the light middleweights

1. Monzon
2. Greb
3. Hagler
4. Robinson
5. Hopkins
6. Walker
7. Ketchel
8. Fitzsimmons
9. Burley
10. Lamotta
11. Cerdan
12. Zale
13. Tiger
14. Fullmer
15. Steele

One of the weaker divisions of the original 8 divisions in my opinion

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

606v2 Middleweight rankings - Page 2 Empty Re: 606v2 Middleweight rankings

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:22 pm

Not a problem mate, is the thread still in here or do i need to post on the archive thread?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:22 pm

No Hopkins anywhere GG?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

Would it be possible to message me your top ten mate, would rather not clog the board up any more.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

Will do Ghosty, forgot all about Hopkins, looks like McCoy will have to go.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:32 am

Interesting to see Hopkins so high on many lists, but RRJ almost entirely absent, despite having beaten Hopkins, and Toney with ease. Always thought thatr RRJ would have been too much for Hagler- Leonard showed that good movement and fast combinations were the way to beat Marvin and RRJ had all that plus power. Also very surprised to see LaMotta feature on so many lists,always thought he was a crude slugger with a very short title reign, and numerous losses to Robinson. Would be interset to here the views of some of those who had him on their lists.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:35 am

That's all he has at the weight though a singular win over Hopkins and not much else.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:56 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:That's all he has at the weight though a singular win over Hopkins and not much else.
Fair point Ghosty, I had forgotten that he only made a few defences before moving up, but with super middle being a relatively new div. I tend to clump it in with middle weight when making these sort of cross generational comparisons, and as these lists have shown, ranknig the multi weight champs becomes very difficult esp.when many of them stick around at one weight long enough to make any sort of reign.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:18 pm

Super Middleweight is the junior division of Light Heavyweight so I see it to be completely seperate to that of Middleweight, that's why I have very little time for the modern day multi weight champions.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

1. Greb
2. Monzon
3. Ketchel
4. Hagler
5. Robinson
6. Steele
7. Hopkins
8. Walker
9. Flowers
10. Fitzsimmons
11. Tiger
12. Burley
13. Cerdan
14. Fullmer
15. Zale

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Super Middleweight is the junior division of Light Heavyweight so I see it to be completely seperate to that of Middleweight, that's why I have very little time for the modern day multi weight champions.
Interesting, I always think of it as the senior of middle weight, rather than the junior of light heavy as almost all of its champions of worth were middles that moved up- I can think of only two light heavys that moved down (Lalonde and Johnson) hence i tend to lump middle and super middle together. agree with you regarding multi weight champs- prefer to see someone dominate a division rather than just pick up a belt and move on.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

I think its opposition that counts. Nowadays there are so many weight classes and belts that dominating a singular division means you can still be missing out on big fights. Lower down the weights its almost essential to weight hop now as some divisions just become too thin. Somebody like Calzaghe dominated a weak super middleweight division for a dcade when he would have been better served tempting up some of the better middleweights or moving to light heavyweight himself.

In past eras when the title meant alot more and there were fewer divisions, being dominant in a single division was far more impressive. Nowadays with titles meaning little and divisions being numerous and diluted I think weight hopping is neccessary and quality of opposition is the primary measure.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:55 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:I think its opposition that counts. Nowadays there are so many weight classes and belts that dominating a singular division means you can still be missing out on big fights. Lower down the weights its almost essential to weight hop now as some divisions just become too thin. Somebody like Calzaghe dominated a weak super middleweight division for a dcade when he would have been better served tempting up some of the better middleweights or moving to light heavyweight himself.

In past eras when the title meant alot more and there were fewer divisions, being dominant in a single division was far more impressive. Nowadays with titles meaning little and divisions being numerous and diluted I think weight hopping is neccessary and quality of opposition is the primary measure.

Valid point, and I don't disagree with you, but if Calazaghe had unified the titles early on , or fought the likes of RRJ or Bhop at super middle , then there would be no need to move weights, He only really dominated the division toward the end of his reign, but you are right quality of opponent is the primary issue, but still fitting modern weight jumping fighters into these all time lists is difficult.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

Not sure that Jones v Calzaghever really have happened at super middleweight. I think Jones was a light heavy when Calzaghe became an established champion.

He could have potentiall faced Hopkins or even Pavlik or Taylor at super middleweight but the principal would be the same in the sense that it would be his opponent moving up weight rather than him. Likewise with De la Hoya or Trinidad moving up to face Hopkins.

I think nowadays weight hopping is a necessity in most cases as the numerous divisions mean that the top level quality is spread thinly and divisions are rarely packed with talent. The few times they are its generally at the expense of the the junior division abov or below which is left pretty threadbare then.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

horizontalhero wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Super Middleweight is the junior division of Light Heavyweight so I see it to be completely seperate to that of Middleweight, that's why I have very little time for the modern day multi weight champions.
Interesting, I always think of it as the senior of middle weight, rather than the junior of light heavy as almost all of its champions of worth were middles that moved up- I can think of only two light heavys that moved down (Lalonde and Johnson) hence i tend to lump middle and super middle together. agree with you regarding multi weight champs- prefer to see someone dominate a division rather than just pick up a belt and move on.

I say that because super middleweight is within the light heavyweight limit but is not within the middleweight limit so is strictly speaking nothing to do with the divisions below it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:13 am

1. Roy Jones - was absolutely awesome at his best
2. Marvin Hagler - complete beast a proper badass
3. Sugar Ray Leonard - had amazing skills
4. Tommy Hearns - got destroyed by Hagler but whupped Duran big time
5. Joe Calzaghe - was unbeaten, nuff said
6. Hopkins - lost to Calzaghe but still a legend
7. Oscar de la Hoya - top fighter
8. Sugar Ray robinson - quality old school boxer, respect
9. Chris Eubank - One of Britains finest
10. Nigel Benn - preffered him to Eubank but he lost to him. He deserved to win da rematch though!

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:08 pm

They're your all time top 15 middleweights?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:They're your all time top 15 middleweights?

I know there is only ten

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:30 pm

It's the language that was used that got me Jeff, why is it so difficult to speak English nowadays?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

Greb
Monzon
Hagler
Robinson
Hopkins
Fitzsimmons
Ketchel
Burley