The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescue Club, which one?

+19
oldparwin
ronin47
hend085
barragan
Eyetoldyouso
McLaren
shclaff
Rossa
Maverick
Lairdy
JDandfries
sharrison01
MustPuttBetter
Noshankingtonite
super_realist
navyblueshorts
drive4show
tarka
Raymond
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rescue Club, which one? Empty Rescue Club, which one?

Post by Raymond Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi all, i am looking to buy a rescue club as the rough on my course is quite bad and the irons don't hack it. Got any suggestions? The MD golf ones look quite good have good reviews and are cheap.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Rescue Club, which one? Empty Re: Rescue Club, which one?

Post by tarka Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Exotics xcg 18deg, bought sh from eBay for 55 quid, aldila dvs stiff shaft, absolute revelation ( I have had same loft burner superfast, 20 yes shorter average)

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:09 pm

MD stuff is great, I've got the 3 wood in my bag and just ordered the driver as well to replace my R9 because it's better!!

The Titleist 910h is excellent too but not cheap. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 pm

cheers tarka will check it out.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:16 pm

drive4show wrote:MD stuff is great, I've got the 3 wood in my bag and just ordered the driver as well to replace my R9 because it's better!!

The Titleist 910h is excellent too but not cheap. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

I have the money to get the titleist but i don't really want to spend that much unless it was miles better than the MD and seen as I will only use it in the rough as i am ok with my long irons well that is unless i get attached to it. I'm guessing it is not worth the extra 150 quid though.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Raymond wrote:Hi all, i am looking to buy a rescue club as the rough on my course is quite bad and the irons don't hack it. Got any suggestions? The MD golf ones look quite good have good reviews and are cheap.

With respect, it's called rough for a reason. If you're looking for a hybrid to hit out of the rough you're barking up the wrong tree.

If you simply want a decent hybrid, the Titleist 909 (and I presume the 910) line is good. Mizuno's MP-Clk seemed OK to me as well. Adams make some highly respected hybrids (as used by Tom Watson, Rickie Fowler etc) as well and they more or less pioneered the clubs.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Raymond wrote:Hi all, i am looking to buy a rescue club as the rough on my course is quite bad and the irons don't hack it. Got any suggestions? The MD golf ones look quite good have good reviews and are cheap.

With respect, it's called rough for a reason. If you're looking for a hybrid to hit out of the rough you're barking up the wrong tree.

If you simply want a decent hybrid, the Titleist 909 (and I presume the 910) line is good. Mizuno's MP-Clk seemed OK to me as well. Adams make some highly respected hybrids (as used by Tom Watson, Rickie Fowler etc) as well and they more or less pioneered the clubs.

You do realize that they are designed to hit through the rough easier than a long iron?

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:39 am

These things go in cycles. Currently the latest trends are the white Taylor made one and the titleist ones. As ever the shaft will probably he more important than anything so test a few out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:35 am

Raymond:
As NBS pointed out, if you are in heavy-ish rough (i.e. six inches deep) then you are probably going to need something pretty lofted to extricate yourself (7-iron at the very least if not a 9-iron or a wedge). You then have to look at what you want the rescue to do. I have an 18 deg TM Su7perfast Burner 2.0 (white headed) which I use from the tee on short par 4s and from the fairway and light rough. I tend to use a Cobra Baffler 26deg for long-ish par 3s, approaches from about 180-190 yards and from rough of no more than 2-3 inches. The bafflers (particularly the older models are not that pricey anymore) so well worth checking out.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 am

I have a Baffler (16 degrees) and the 'old' Mizuno MX FliHi's 21 and 23 degrees. I love the Mizunos and they're a lot easier to hit than the Baffler. If you can find them these days you'll pick one up for around £40 - £50 which is a real bargain in my view
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 am

Raymond wrote:You do realize that they are designed to hit through the rough easier than a long iron?

No??? Really???? Silly me.

You do realise that you're being a bit of a clown expecting to successfully hit either a long iron or a hybrid out of anything but fairway or first cut? You obviously know best. I think you're after a 16° hybrid.....they're well known for being great out of really, really long grass.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:07 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Raymond wrote:You do realize that they are designed to hit through the rough easier than a long iron?

You do realise that you're being a bit of a clown expecting to successfully hit either a long iron or a hybrid out of anything but fairway or first cut? You obviously know best. I think you're after a 16° hybrid.....they're well known for being great out of really, really long grass.

Nice way of helping someone that has simply created a thread because they need some advice - every thread doesn't need to be turned into a slanging match.

Raymond, I don't have any issues getting long irons out of the rough but then it is of course all dependant on what type of rough your course has. I'm no huge fan of hybrids for no reason other than I'm comfortable with my long irons and just don't find a need for them but I can give you some idea of brands to try. Titleist is generally aimed at better players and their hybrids will be little different, Mizuno's feel a bit more like a long iron than a wood, Taylor Made/Callaway/Ping will be easy to hit and should do a good job and smaller brands like MD and Benross are worth a go as they are cheaper but constantly perform well in testing. Trial and error down the range should sort you out...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:14 am

Here here S Harrison, really no need for the guy to be shot at like that!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:15 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

Harsh!! Particularly from a mod as well. He may well have meant the rough at his course is only enough bad to make going for greens with long irons too difficult, hence the search for a hybrid. He said it was bad, not long, thick, lush or whispy just bad. So you then jumped down his throat with the uppity rough statement instead of maybe asking the question what kind of rough are you talking about? In any case it is disappointing to see the above reaction from one of the site mods. Doesnt make it the most inviting places for prospective new members does it?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:35 am

Cobra Baffler, great hybrid, highly recommend that.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 am

Do you use the 16 degree Mav?
I picked mine up from a friend who couldn't get on with it. It's a tour version which i thought might be a nightmare but on days where i'm hitting it well it goes as far as my driver and is easier to control. Particulalry good in the wind as the flight is low.

When the knee's working you're obviously a better player than I. I'd imagine in the hands of a good player the Baffler is a seriously useful club?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:Do you use the 16 degree Mav?
I picked mine up from a friend who couldn't get on with it. It's a tour version which i thought might be a nightmare but on days where i'm hitting it well it goes as far as my driver and is easier to control. Particulalry good in the wind as the flight is low.

When the knee's working you're obviously a better player than I. I'd imagine in the hands of a good player the Baffler is a seriously useful club?

I have the 2H Tour which is 16degree indeed a great club, rarely carry the 3wood thanks to this little beauty, means can carry an extra wedge. I think of all the hybrids I tried the Cobra's urinate over all of the rest.

As for the knee, feeling rather tender today after a long stint on a plane last night, but it's coming on nicely. I've been given the good to go by the Doctor's but am having some extra physio until end of this month to ensure all is well. I'm walking the course with Mavette this sunday in her match then I plan on making my first round a bounce game on 1st september cannot wait to get out there

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:52 am

NBS is right, if you can't execute a particular shot, a new club is rarely the answer... in my experience with 3 or 4 hybrids over 3/4 or 4 years, if you can hit a long iron from the fairway, then its no great stretch to do it from the rough. If the rough is too rough then you probably need something less lofted in any case, simply replacing a 4i with a 24 degree hybrid is not he answer.

If you struggle generally with long irons then hybrids can be more forgiving, but he fundemental reason why you stuggle with long irons will still exist. I generally think you'd be better served spending £200 on some tuition with the hope of improving you're swing, rather than buying a couple of hybrids.

But thats just my opinion, I have a 19degree one but it replaces a 5w rather than iron (could be a 2i is suppose, but you don't see those invluded in many iron sets these days)...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I use a Cleveland DST launcher 15.5deg and I'd recommend it. Seriously forgiving off the toe and heel and it goes a long way. Just did a quick Google search and you can pick one up for £59 which is a steal.

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Maverick wrote:I have the 2H Tour which is 16degree indeed a great club, rarely carry the 3wood thanks to this little beauty, means can carry an extra wedge. I think of all the hybrids I tried the Cobra's urinate over all of the rest.

As for the knee, feeling rather tender today after a long stint on a plane last night, but it's coming on nicely. I've been given the good to go by the Doctor's but am having some extra physio until end of this month to ensure all is well. I'm walking the course with Mavette this sunday in her match then I plan on making my first round a bounce game on 1st september cannot wait to get out there

How far do you hit it out of interest? I'm not a long hitter but even i can get it out to 220ish
Great club agreed, as i say especially for windy days when the drives are being pushed all over the place.

Hope Sunday for Mavette and the 1 Sept goes well
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:18 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Maverick wrote:I have the 2H Tour which is 16degree indeed a great club, rarely carry the 3wood thanks to this little beauty, means can carry an extra wedge. I think of all the hybrids I tried the Cobra's urinate over all of the rest.

How far do you hit it out of interest? I'm not a long hitter but even i can get it out to 220ish
Great club agreed, as i say especially for windy days when the drives are being pushed all over the place.

Hope Sunday for Mavette and the 1 Sept goes well

Have to correct that, it's Sunday the 28th her match.. Not this week you would think i'd remember that date as it's my birthday but there you go... But thanks for the well wishing.

How far do I hit the 2H, prior to lay off with no wind I was getting it out there to 240/250yards. Great flight off the face with it. It's why my 3 wood hardly gets used as there's not much difference in yardage

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 pm

If the rough is around the 10cm mark then I do find the rescue club to out perform a long iron more often than not. If the club gets snagged then a rescue seems more able to go through the rough.

They are also more forgiving than a long iron so miss hits out the rough, which are already magnified by the rough, are not as severe.

To get the full all round benefit I would go for a club that more closely resmebles an iron rather than the ones which have heads nearly as big as fairway metals.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:

Raymond:
As NBS pointed out, if you are in heavy-ish rough (i.e. six inches deep) then you are probably going to need something pretty lofted to extricate yourself (7-iron at the very least if not a 9-iron or a wedge). You then have to look at what you want the rescue to do. I have an 18 deg TM Su7perfast Burner 2.0 (white headed) which I use from the tee on short par 4s and from the fairway and light rough. I tend to use a Cobra Baffler 26deg for long-ish par 3s, approaches from about 180-190 yards and from rough of no more than 2-3 inches. The bafflers (particularly the older models are not that pricey anymore) so well worth checking out.

Maybe i should of pointed out its about 2 inch and quite thick due to the rain we have had the past few weeks in drier weather it thins out alot.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:32 pm

McLaren wrote:If the rough is around the 10cm mark then I do find the rescue club to out perform a long iron more often than not. If the club gets snagged then a rescue seems more able to go through the rough.

They are also more forgiving than a long iron so miss hits out the rough, which are already magnified by the rough, are not as severe.

To get the full all round benefit I would go for a club that more closely resmebles an iron rather than the ones which have heads nearly as big as fairway metals.

This is what I was getting at I have heard others say the same thing when talking. And with the wetter weather the rough is thicker and my long irons get tangled in it. I Like using long irons off the tea and fair way as when i was younger i couldn't hit a driver to save my life so used the 3 iron a lot.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Raymond
"..when i was younger i couldn't hit a driver to save my life so used the 3 iron a lot. ." For goodness sake, you're 21 - you're barely out of your nappies Smile

More seriously, once again the famous 606v2 golfers and their imaginations are running riot. Not picking on anyone in particular - but is there anyone who actually believes that anything other than a pitching/gap/sand wedge can be used out of rough 6 inches deep? And as for using a long iron out of rough 2 inches deep - don't make me laugh. That is .32 inches higher than the ball itself. Be honest, try it and you'll either hit the ball 20 yards or end up with wrists worse than Mav's leg.

Of course I might be completely wrong in that you all play on courses where the rough isn't really rough - it's that whispy stuff you get on links courses. Apologies to all if that is the case.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Raymond
Sorry, I forgot to answer the OP. There is some good advice on here, try out lots. I have 2 hybrids - Taylor Made 09 Rescue, 19 & 22deg, replaced my 5 & 7 woods & 4 iron. Can certainly recommend them as being relatively easy to hit & forgiving.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote:Raymond
"..when i was younger i couldn't hit a driver to save my life so used the 3 iron a lot. ." For goodness sake, you're 21 - you're barely out of your nappies Smile

More seriously, once again the famous 606v2 golfers and their imaginations are running riot. Not picking on anyone in particular - but is there anyone who actually believes that anything other than a pitching/gap/sand wedge can be used out of rough 6 inches deep? And as for using a long iron out of rough 2 inches deep - don't make me laugh. That is .32 inches higher than the ball itself. Be honest, try it and you'll either hit the ball 20 yards or end up with wrists worse than Mav's leg.

Of course I might be completely wrong in that you all play on courses where the rough isn't really rough - it's that whispy stuff you get on links courses. Apologies to all if that is the case.

The rough isn't very severe in most places at my course i.e within 10 yeards of the fw, there are some areas that a long iron or a hybrid would be useless, but nowhere where i would get a significant advantage from a hybrid over a long iron, as you say if its bad rough i wouldn't be hitting a 'long' club of any description. 7i max...

Its taken me 3-4 years to work out that course management (i.e. playing within the boundaries of your ability* and taking your pills when you find yourself in trouble) and having a great game from 100 yards in is the best way to score to you're full potential.

*thats not to say you shouldn't try more difficult shots as you improve though, just do it in bounce games, not with a card in you're hand...

Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 pm

I think that you have added to the ridiculous assumptions and statements that are already firmly in place on this thread. How is the belief that nothing more than a wedge (of any type) can be hit out of rough of any more use than claims of hitting a long iron out of the rough?!? There are absolutely loads of different types of rough and a hybrid would be perfectly suitable for some, just like a long iron, wedge or any other club given the lie. You have been very much caught up in a rather irrelevant side debate - this guy just wants to know what hybrid's he should be testing out and he gets a full debate on different types of rough and an array of sweeping statements concerning said rough...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Nice to see the old knee get a mention.

I have to say have stayed out the debate about rough etc on this, but having had a good read through, I see one comment stating 10cm rough, so thats 4inches deep then. First of all clap for find the wee white ball in that stuff. Secondly if you can deliver a hybrid let alone a say 4iron into the back of that ball and advance it a fair yardage then thats some serious playing and well honed forearms Whistle

If the rough is that deep, Wedge out then next shot to the green, hybrids are great clubs but they alone don't produce miracles. In general terms of average length rough seen at most courses these days, I don't think it's any harder delivering a long iron to the back of a balll than a hybrid. rough around most courses these days is getting a lot shorter. What a hybrid will do at these places is with the more round sole glide through it better than a long iron and maybe more forgiving but really is personal preference

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I think the point is, if you can hit a long iron when in the rough, so not a situation where a wedge is needed then the rescue is the better option.

Now this could be any type of rough you can think of the main thing to realise is that when it is possible to hit out the rough with a longer club the hybrids attributes are most suited to doing this. There is no point getting bogged down in a discussion about 6 inched wispy vs 2 inches dense.

The fact that a hybrid provides more forgiveness means it provides something no matter what the shot.

So people should stop worrying about outlandish claims of a rescue able to hit a miracle shot and concentrate on what it gives you when you can hit it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:39 pm

raymond,
i've a ping g15, 17 deg hybrid, which is probably more in the form of a 'driving iron' than a 'hybrid'. i'd thourougly recommend it for use off the tee, fairway and semi, but once its under a bit of the hairier stuff it becomes very difficult to control the shot. obviously this is probably mainly down to the loft - its a 2 iron equivalent: you'd rarely use a 2 iron out of the deep stuff so maybe a 20 or 23 degree version would work better. the g15 might be one to avoid with regard your situation though. personally out of deepish rough i rarely use anything more than a 5 iron which usually comes out ok, though obviously there are a lot of contributing factors to the club selection.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 pm

mav, have you managed to get out and get in some putting / short game practice during you recovery or will sep 1st be you going out completely cold?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:56 pm

ban_bam wrote:mav, have you managed to get out and get in some putting / short game practice during you recovery or will sep 1st be you going out completely cold?

i've been putting everyday for a couple of weeks, have brought my putter and wedges out to the states, for a few days too, I'm supposed be working but if someones willing to put you up for 4 days when you have 1 days work todo whats a guy to do, but I digress.

Am going to be using the wedges and putter now up until 29th this month then going to range that day for an hour and again on 30th then a rest dayy, before teeing it up on the 1st September, going to use a buggy that day to (queue SR comments about fat americans and misuse of buggy) but I want to proect the leg for a bit. This return has been months in the making so planned with military precision...

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:35 pm

good stuff, sounds like a reasonable excuse to use a buggy! at least you can have a bit of fun with the short game just now. are you looking into any particular swing changes to avoid the injury recurring? - you mentioned something about stack and tilt a while ago.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:45 pm

To the OP,

If you havent already then I'd look up the numerous reviews you can find on the net and see if any one model keeps appearing when performance out of rough is mentioned. When someone reviews a hybrid or rescue this should be one of the tests. Also, most hybrids will generally launch higher than irons so if you are going for greens out the rough then something to think about. Remember you get less spin out of rough so to hold greens out of rough high shot trajectory is important.

The difficult thing will be testing a hybrid out of the rough unless your pro shop has loads of demo clubs... that's the complete ball ache in buying golf clubs. There are specific clubs like rescues and sand wedges but more than half the shops that sell them offer no way to try before you buy!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 pm

I was looking into the stack and tilt method, and in honesty can see some merits in it for preventing my knee from flaring up in future, in that the left side is pre-loaded. This would stop me causing excessive stress on the outside of left knee at start of my downswing, but the other parts of the method just are not appealing to me.

So I'm going to work with a friend who's a very good pro and swing coach in how to maybe incorporate a way of removing strain of the left side long term without changing to much in the rest of my swing. I'm fortunate enough to work my own hours so will be doing a lot of work in the week on it so to groove it quicker

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:03 pm

sounds like a plan - do you think you'll be competing again this season?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:15 pm

in all honesty i'd all but written off my competitive season this year and it had started so well. If all goes well in september and legs feeling good, i'll enter the winter comps, but I won't be looking at competitons other than that maybe a medal but no big ones

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:40 pm

I carry an r7 21degree ive had for a few years. I dont carry a 3 iron or a 5 wood so carrying this instead lets me throw an extra wedge in the bag.
The only other rescue ive tried was the cleveland hibore and i think it was a bit too "chunky" to use in the long rough.... in the same way that its mentioned a blade iron is easier to use out of the rough than a cavity back.

Re Mavs comeback.. just how good are you??!! Smile I'm very curious!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:48 pm

hend085 wrote:I carry an r7 21degree ive had for a few years. I dont carry a 3 iron or a 5 wood so carrying this instead lets me throw an extra wedge in the bag.
The only other rescue ive tried was the cleveland hibore and i think it was a bit too "chunky" to use in the long rough.... in the same way that its mentioned a blade iron is easier to use out of the rough than a cavity back.

Re Mavs comeback.. just how good are you??!! Smile I'm very curious!

Before the injury, my handicap was down scratch i'd just go to exact +0.3 so was trying to achive a +1 by end of year but wont' be happening now

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:50 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Nice way of helping someone that has simply created a thread because they need some advice - every thread doesn't need to be turned into a slanging match.

He cast; I bit. He'll get over it I guess.

JDandfries wrote:Here here S Harrison, really no need for the guy to be shot at like that!

I beg to differ.

Lairdy wrote:Harsh!! Particularly from a mod as well. He may well have meant the rough at his course is only enough bad to make going for greens with long irons too difficult, hence the search for a hybrid. He said it was bad, not long, thick, lush or whispy just bad. So you then jumped down his throat with the uppity rough statement instead of maybe asking the question what kind of rough are you talking about? In any case it is disappointing to see the above reaction from one of the site mods. Doesnt make it the most inviting places for prospective new members does it?

What's being a Mod got to do with the price of eggs? I suggest you leave that sort of argument out of it. If I post as a Mod, I'll make it perfectly clear I'm doing so. Uppity statement about rough?? Umm, no. Just common sense. Stop being offended and precious on behalf of someone else and let the guy reply if he so wishes.

Having just read the latter comments in the thread, I'll butt out now but suffice to say there's some massive over-estimation of possibilities doing the rounds. What do I know.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I have to fully back up BNS here. I have also had someone say as mod i should not say something, we are here firstly as posters and then if things get out of hand to moderate. Not to moderate and hold our own opinions incase they aren't approved of by some, we too get moderated and nothing on here requires it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 pm

I think mods loose impartiality when they attack another poster. As mere posters we have the benefit of being able to get a little harsh, the mods lost that when they signed up for the job.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 pm

It always strikes me as a bit of a last resort when someone says 'you shouldn't be saying that, you're a mod'.....

If it's in red it's Modville, otherwise it's Joe Normal - what's the problem?

The alternative is the mods are people who are not regular posters and that much less desirable i think
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:09 pm

MAC were still entitled to our opinion and as for attacking people maybe if you hadn't stirred up a hornets nest those things wouldn't happen and they aren't attacks there people opinion. Lets not get into another argument here about what you think is a personal attack

MPB has the nail on the head if it's reported it gets moderated if not then we are mere posters.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:13 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:Nice way of helping someone that has simply created a thread because they need some advice - every thread doesn't need to be turned into a slanging match.

He cast; I bit. He'll get over it I guess.

JDandfries wrote:Here here S Harrison, really no need for the guy to be shot at like that!

I beg to differ.

Lairdy wrote:Harsh!! Particularly from a mod as well. He may well have meant the rough at his course is only enough bad to make going for greens with long irons too difficult, hence the search for a hybrid. He said it was bad, not long, thick, lush or whispy just bad. So you then jumped down his throat with the uppity rough statement instead of maybe asking the question what kind of rough are you talking about? In any case it is disappointing to see the above reaction from one of the site mods. Doesnt make it the most inviting places for prospective new members does it?

What's being a Mod got to do with the price of eggs? I suggest you leave that sort of argument out of it. If I post as a Mod, I'll make it perfectly clear I'm doing so. Uppity statement about rough?? Umm, no. Just common sense. Stop being offended and precious on behalf of someone else and let the guy reply if he so wishes.

Having just read the latter comments in the thread, I'll butt out now but suffice to say there's some massive over-estimation of possibilities doing the rounds. What do I know.

Completely disagree with the mod comments as you are of course entitled to your opinion.

I didn't think that he cast anything at all and was innocently asking a question which you decided to have a chomp on. Just because this place has started to turn into a bit of a playground it doesn't mean that you should treat every member or post as if it is there for you to be rude to. The guy created a thread with the aim of achieving a solution to his problem of finding a club and from the tone of the initial question and subsequent posts he appeared as if he was genuinely asking questions as oppose to being patronising or whatever you thought gave you the right to be rude about. There are lots of threads that are very open to tangents and a bit of banter, even if it sometimes goes a bit far. This was not one of them and your condescending and unhelpful attitude is unwarranted.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:33 pm

I put an iRod stiff shaft onto a 18deg cleveland hybrid and then chopped an inch off the butt.

Sold it to a friend, and he absolutely loves it. Even from fairly heavy rough he can put the ball exactly where he's aiming. He reckons it has knocked a good 2 strokes off his game.

I also find the Cobra bafflers work very well.

Would recommend both of these

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Of course MODs can have an opinion but when they start unreasonably suggesting that someone is a bit of a clown for asking about what rescue club to use out of rough on a GOLF forum instead of trying to perhaps expand on the OPs question then it doesnt make for an inviting forum does it? Like it or not but being a MOD makes you connected to the overall running of this forum. But if this place doesnt want any new members then hey crack on.

My comments have nothing to do with being offended for someone else. They were based on a concern about the forum and its running. Stop being offended on someone else's behalf? Presumptious much today?!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:37 pm

I find all the mods on here are OK, just posters like the rest of us, and just like the rest of us, somethings from time to time rattle their cage and they have their say, the same as us, so no problem, its the people who try a form of sarcasism, sometimes fall foul of them and rightly so.

As for hybrides must admit I am a Mizuno man, and would advise you to check out their range.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 pm

sharrison01 wrote:...This was not one of them and your condescending and unhelpful attitude is unwarranted.

The irony of that statement coming from your good self has made my day. Cheers for that. I disagree in any case as I find the comment:

condescending, ill-informed and therefore somewhat inflammatory. Dare I suggest "Presumptious" as well Lairdy?

McLaren wrote:I think mods loose impartiality when they attack another poster. As mere posters we have the benefit of being able to get a little harsh, the mods lost that when they signed up for the job.

Do you do stand-up in the day job?

Anyway, I digress off-topic again. Bad example I have to admit. I stand by my (perhaps overly aggressive) suggestion that assuming you can hit hybrids out of rough >2" in depth is tantamount to foolishness. Yes, it depends on the situation etc and within an area of rough there are easier and harder lies but, in general, you're on a hiding to nothing. Be my guest if you're going about your golf in this way; I'll certainly be happy to part you from your money.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next