The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Football - Please help with the basics

4 posters

Go down

Fantasy Football - Please help with the basics Empty Fantasy Football - Please help with the basics

Post by TM Moot Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Chaps

I've played football (soccer!) fantasy for years and years, all sorts of variations including Auctions, but i am in the dark about how the NFL Fantasy works. I know there is a sticky thread above, but could some kind soul angel inform me of the basics please.

i.e.
can you play on your own (oo er) or do you need to join a league?
do you just pick players based on cost and a budget ?
do you just pick a team for the season or do you have to activate players game by game?
and so on.. Very Happy

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Football - Please help with the basics Empty Re: Fantasy Football - Please help with the basics

Post by Pr4wn Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:20 am

The game is based on a draft idea.

The way that we will conduct our draft on the official 606v2 league is called a "snake" draft. This means that the person that picks first in round one then picks last in round two and then first in round three and so on...

There is no salary cap, you just take who you think is the best player available or the player that best fits your needs.

Generally, the set-up of a fantasy team is 1x QB, 2x RB, 3x WR, 1X TE, 1x Defense/Special teams and 1x Kicker. You also pick up subs and can change your team any time before the game week starts.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Football - Please help with the basics Empty Re: Fantasy Football - Please help with the basics

Post by TM Moot Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 am

C0ol, thanks Pr4wn. I like the idea of the snake draft.

One more dumb query for you however!

Is the fantasy draft 'live'? i.e do you all need to be 'online' at the same time or is it conducted over time?

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 am

Some are, some aren't. The official 606v2 draft will be live on the 4th September at 6pm. We'll get a chat box up for it and get some banter going.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:04 am

I did my draft on NFL.com about 5 weeks ago, the #1 pick overall was Pittsburgh defence, you should have see the abuse that followed.

I'm no certainty to make 4 Sept but I assume we have the option of ranking players and the auto pick does the rest ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:09 am

Yeah of course mate. Just log into the league and set out your list.

try to set the time aside though, should be a good crack.

Defense at number one? laughing

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:12 am

A pattern formed when he then took, Wallace 2nd, Shaun Suisham 3rd and Heath Miller 4th - defence, Tight End and Kicker done, right, maybe it's about time for a quarterback and the odd running back !

TM Moot - this is not how you draft !

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:15 am

You can draft like that if you want TM.... Whistle

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Pr4wn wrote:You can draft like that if you want TM.... Whistle

no money involved is there.. Shocked

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:37 pm

What player positions you draft early depends on what scoring rules your league is using. Traditionally, running backs have gone early but that's started to change a bit with points per reception leagues and leagues where the QB get a lot of points per yardage and per TD.

My friends and I have a league that's been going since the early 90s. You buy in for $100 and then pay $5 for each trade you make during the season (we have a dedicated slot back position that costs $20 to trade). Usually end up with around $1200 - $1400 in the pot, so keeps everyone very interested! We also use the snake format, so the number 12 guy gets two picks as it snakes around back up to the number 1 and then back down again and so on.

We also have a Hoodlum!! fine that kicks in each time one of your players is arrested or suspended during the season. Wink

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down