The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE Films

+11
wheelchair1991
sodhat
Ent
The Awesome Giz
Perry Groves is my dad
River Ace
Dass
Crimey
theundisputedY2D2
Ché Guerrero
Adam D
15 posters

Go down

WWE Films Empty WWE Films

Post by Adam D Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:38 am

have any of them ever been any good or even made money?

After all the hype they were giving HHH's magnus opus earlier in the year, 'The Chaperone' is already on sky movies. The trailer looked awful and by the fact its in tv already, I guess my initial thoughts on it were correct.

So wha is everyones thoughts on WWE as a film making company? And does the 'star' carry the can for flops?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

WWE Films Empty Re: WWE Films

Post by Ché Guerrero Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:59 am

"Thats What I Am" is considered the best they've made but i don't think it made that much money (wiki says it grossed 6,400 in a limited theatrical release). It holds a 58% approval rating on rotten tomatoes which is actually quite good-to put into perspective "Legendary" has 16%.

To be honest i'm waiting for "CM Punk:The Movie"

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Didn't See No Evil get semi-decent reviews? I think everything they've made since has been universally panned though.

For the most part it's been their majpor stars that have been in all their movies so I can't see them being blamed if it's a flop.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:12 pm

See No Evil has 9% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so not even semi-decent reviews!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Haha! Fair enough!

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Depends on what you measurements are for success if its sales, profit or overall ratings. All three have there problems as how good a film is can't be determined on money alone or Avatar/Titantic would be the be and end all, Profit has the same problem and reviews change with the weather and given enough time. Biggest problem with reviewers are they bow to peer pressure and give films reviews based on what they think others would want not on merits.

Sales (DVD & Box Office) - The Rock with the Rundown (Welcome to the Jungle) and Walking Tall blows pretty much everything else out the water but both these films were only co-prodcutions with WWE. I don't think that should count aginst them though since Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia was also a co-production and it sank faster than the titanic. 12 Rounds and Marine were both succesful for Cena on this front and are only a step or two behind the Rocks figures.
Kane also did quite well on this front with See No Evil having comparable figures to Cena, everything else after that was awful.

Profit - Rock did well on sales but against the massive budgets he had with his two films overall he broke even at the box office with Rundown (WTTJ) and made around £10m with Walking Tall. Though both probably did extremely well on the DVD front to show ok figures. The biggest success on this front has probably come from Kane with See No Evil a modest £8m budget was turned into £18m at the box office and double that on DVD's. Cena did similar to the rock coming out around even after box office and the profits coming from DVD's. All else was pretty much a disaster.

Review Ratings - There's only two films that have achieved over 50% on Rotten Tomato's to date the first being "Thats what I am" which got 58% and Rundown (WTTJ) which got 71% at the time.

While films like "Condemned" were poor in terms of Box Office figures pulling in only £5m for a outlay of around double that maybe. Its still a major success when you put it against "Legendary", "Knucklehead", "Chaperone" and "Thats What I am" which combined just managed to scrape over £0.25m and £0.2m of that came from "Legendary" alone.

The only film I've really yet to mention is "Scorpion King" which was a co-production also. It blows everything out the water in terms of sales and profit. That includes the Rocks two other films hell you could prob add the other two together and "Scorpion King" would still come out on top in the sales department. The only place it falls slightly is 40% rating on Rotten Tomato's which is still the third highest score of any WWE production.

I'd say if you had to ask which film has the best case overall then it would be Scorpion King. I've not seen all the films listed seen about half them so I'm only going on the numbers not my opinion.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by River Ace Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:19 pm

I know Knucklehead is on Sky Movies

Haven't seen it yet. Definately want to see The Chaperone

River Ace

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Groves is my dad Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:44 am

I watched The Chaperone yesterday afternoon as i needed a nap and i wasnt disappointed as i was asleep within 40 mins.

A terrible film and terrible acting by HHH

Perry Groves is my dad

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:21 am

12 rounds apparently was alright. The marine was shocking. What about that new Orton film?

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:30 am

12 rounds was ok, watchable and cena was adequate. It's got nothing on any of the rocks films though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 am

I think WWE basically make trashy action films designed to have a recognised 'name' star and then thrash out some DVD sales on the back of it.

I've not watched one of their films, because I believe they would be unmerciful Poopie.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 pm

chaperone was awful i watched it yesterday and it was absoloute dross knucklehead was rubbish aswel i think if they are going to be serious about these films they need to give believable stories to the viewers in which the audience can relate to

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:43 pm

the WWE desperately want to be known as a multi-media entertainment company but they are hardly going to become the next 20th century fox or universal studios and as such their films will always be considered 'in-house' produced b-movies. I mean the lead roles are always given to WWE guys, so they're not serious about becoming a film company, they just want to give their champions more exposure, probably with the hope that they will increase tv ratings or PPV buyrates. As such the WWE won't be taken seriously as a film company.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:47 pm

They've decided to stick to Action/Horror/Comedy after Orton's one failed big time.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm

User Name wrote:They've decided to stick to Action/Horror/Comedy after Orton's one failed big time.

Shame really it was a decent attempt at a serious drama, hopefully Vince will realise that outside ventures are usually embarrassing failures - XFL, Linda McMahon etc.

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:02 am

vince is a genius as a wrestling promoter wheather u love or hate the guy u cant argue that but as far as the movie buisness is concerned he seems to have no clue

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:vince is a genius as a wrestling promoter wheather u love or hate the guy u cant argue that but as far as the movie buisness is concerned he seems to have no clue

Pauline is that you? heart

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:08 am

no lol

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 am

Don't lie to me! I'd recognise that posting style anywhere.

How are you? Have you been well?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 am

I have no desire to watch Knucklehead, I don't even like watching Big Show in WWE so a film is way too much. I liked the Chaperone, I thought it was decent. I also like the Marine, Marine 2 and 12 Rounds. The best one IMO is Legendary, that was great.

I would like to see Randy's film, however I believe he isn't in it too much, so I would perhaps just forward it to his parts. He did mention on Twitter his name has been mentioned for a potential action film at some point.

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:07 am

im not pauline im a man lol

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down