The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Announcement regarding the site

+34
Holymiky
The Galveston Giant
Imperial Ghosty
time please
legendkillar
yummymummy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Liam_Main
Portnoy
Celtic Warrior
Solerina
A-Darts
Marsh
Fernando
dondelero
Mike Selig
Davie
HumanWindmill
President Trump
Thomond
Pr4wn
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Cari
FIFA Diva
Union Cane
Bull
Adam D
Rowley
Beer
Fists of Fury
Cymroglan
captain carrantuohil
Scottrf
ADMIN
38 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Announcement regarding the site - Page 3 Empty Announcement regarding the site

Post by ADMIN Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

As you can all see, 606v2 is growing day by day. And for that, we have you all to thank.

The effort and dedication that you have all put in to help this site grow has been nothing short of phenomenal. Every day I am surprised at how you all contribute in making this forum such a great place for us all to carry on the community spirit that was born on 606. And that is only part of the story. I can now see how we have outgrown our beginnings and are attracting new posters from outside our original home.

And I thank all of the new members for this too. Your continued contribution has helped us continue to flourish and become so much more than the original 606. Through the hard work of the moderation and admin teams, we have managed to get some incredible exclusives that were not possible under the BBC banner - interviews, competitions, special offers. These will continue to come and will get bigger and better the more the forum grows.

However, all of this has come at a price.

The original set up of this forum was facilitated by the use of free software. At the time of inception, this was the best and most cost effective solution for us all. And hopefully, you all really like the features of the forum. However, due to the incredible growth in our forum, the costs for housing us have risen dramatically (it’s now 10x what it started at). The owners of the software (forumotion) have to give us more server space, although they benefit from the fact that we generate more advert revenue for them.

The more hits the site gets, the more the forumotion gets from the ads. And it therefore costs us substantially more to remove them (to recompense them for their lost revenue). On top of this, forumotion also charge us more to retain the domain name. All in all, the costs have become much more than we had anticipated, and should the forum continue to grow as we plan, these costs will continue to grow too. So this leaves us with several choices.

1. We continue to pay for the ad removal out of our own pocket.
2. We leave the forumotion ads in place.
3. We introduce ads of our own.
4. We move to a new forum platform

So let me cover these off one by one.

1. The costs are now so great, it is not fair to ask the moderation and admin teams to continue to pay for these ever increasing costs. It’s not fair to ask members to contribute. The moderation and admin teams already give up their time for nothing and to ask them to pay to do this is unfair. For the founders, this is simply not an option.
2. We can leave the adverts in place and pay the domain cost from member contributions once a year.
3. The revenue generated by our own ads will pay for the domain name and removal of forumotion ads.
4. If we move to a new platform, we would lose the historical posts, the name (possibly) and a chunk of our membership possibly. We would also be faced with the same problem as now when we once again get to a certain size. It is merely delaying the problem unless we build our own software. This would cost us money to develop and we would still need to host any bespoke software.

So this means that the only viable option is to go with option 3 - the introduction of adverts that will pay for the domain name and removal of forumotion ads (so hopefully no misleading ‘you have 1 new message’ type). Any excess could potentially be used to advertise the site, as well as potentially paying for our own software to be developed.

So you will shortly be seeing adverts on the site. This is not being done through choice but as a means to better the forum and take away the burden from the members.

Hopefully you will continue to use 606v2 - we have some exciting developments ahead of us. We still aim to achieve our goal of being the best multisport forum in the UK (and beyond) and the addition of adverts will allow us to get there more quickly.

I would just like to finish with a final thank you. When I started this forum, I honestly thought it would be a nice little home for my friends I had made. But due to the work that you have all put in, I can now safely say that it has exceeded all my expectations. From thinking I would keep in contact with a dozen or so friends, I have nearly 3000. So I may not be the next Mark Zuckenberg but I can tell you that I consider you all to be my friends.

Hero

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Announcement regarding the site - Page 3 Empty Re: Announcement regarding the site

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

King Beer wrote:
Scottrf wrote:The irony of criticising boxers for taking steroids.

I irony of denouncing a 'sport' when the biggest draw in your 'sport' headlined the biggest event in our 'sport'.

Also, notable stars of our 'sport' have led notable stars of your 'sport' to the ring.

Wrestling is still not a sport putting it in inverted commas does not make it such.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Announcement regarding the site - Page 3 Empty Re: Announcement regarding the site

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

King Beer wrote:

I irony of denouncing a 'sport' when the biggest draw in your 'sport' headlined the biggest event in our 'sport'.

Also, notable stars of our 'sport' have led notable stars of your 'sport' to the ring.
So boxing isn't a sport because a boxer appeared on a TV show?

Your logic isn't great.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

Fellas let's not turn it into a my entertainment is better than your sport debate.
We all want what's best for this forum, from boxing fans to wrestling fans, even the one guy who's posted about badminton and no-one is going anywhere (unless you misbehave and then I'll quickly show you the door Wink )

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

rowley wrote:
King Beer wrote:

Wrestling is still not a sport putting it in inverted commas does not make it such.

I beg to differ....

Wrestling; as performed in the Olympics IS a sport.
Professional Wrestling, is not. it's 'Sports Entertainment'.

As Demon mentioned, if it's that much of an issue, give Rupert Murdoch a call and tell him to take it off Sky SPORTS.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

if it's sport entertainment wouldn't that still be a sport?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

Hero wrote:Fellas let's not turn it into a my entertainment is better than your sport debate.
We all want what's best for this forum, from boxing fans to wrestling fans, even the one guy who's posted about badminton and no-one is going anywhere (unless you misbehave and then I'll quickly show you the door Wink )

Sod them. Bunch of nuthuggers.

Wrestling > Boxing.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

King Beer wrote:
rowley wrote:
King Beer wrote:

I beg to differ....

Wrestling; as performed in the Olympics IS a sport.
Professional Wrestling, is not. it's 'Sports Entertainment'.

As Demon mentioned, if it's that much of an issue, give Rupert Murdoch a call and tell him to take it off Sky SPORTS.

Is much Greco Roman discussed on here then? Anyway out of respect for Hero will not pursue this further.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

fernando wrote:if it's sport entertainment wouldn't that still be a sport?
Sport without a competitive aspect? No.

I think sports entertainment is a generous title.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

how did this article turn in to this? it has noting to do with the purpose of it?

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

Scottrf wrote:

What do you call an Audley Harrison fight then?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:how did this article turn in to this? it has noting to do with the purpose of it?

Some people are just a bit small minded, Bull.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

fernando wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

An Audley Harrison fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

Thanks for your opinion on what constitutes a sport.

But unless you're Lord Coe or someone of equal stature, please forgive me if I don't allow it to sway my own judgement

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

Wrestling is for gays.

Hobo - Nearly Homo

Hero - Not quite Hetero

King Beer - Rhymes with 'king Queer

Draw your own conclusions.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

Scottrf wrote:
fernando wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

An Audley Harrison fight.

I thought it was called gang Cuddle in a bad way?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

Electric Demon wrote:Thanks for your opinion on what constitutes a sport.

But unless you're Lord Coe or someone of equal stature, please forgive me if I don't allow it to sway my own judgement
Is Daniel Craig a sportsman?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

Whilst this little passage made me chuckle, let's give it a rest now, fellas, hardly on topic!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

can we all not respect each other and move on ?

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:can we all not respect each other and move on ?
OK.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

Oh look, Helen Lovejoy! Laugh

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Marsh Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

King Beer wrote:

Oh look, Helen Lovejoy! Laugh
Won't somebody please think of the children?

Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Darts Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

Do whatever you have to do to keep this place going, its the best. Very Happy
A-Darts
A-Darts

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

A-Darts wrote:Do whatever you have to do to keep this place going, its the best. Very Happy

Donate! It's the only way to save 606v2!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

im just trying to help and you mock me?

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:im just trying to help and you mock me?
Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

I think if it's just a banner ad at the top of the page, then it will be fine, we'll soon get used to it.

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

yeah i agree with you Sol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

rowley wrote:
King Beer wrote:
rowley wrote:I made no reference to its popularlity or otherwise, just suggested it wasn't a sport, a position I maintain to be absolutely correct.

It's sports entertainment, and furthermore, is not classed in with 'proper' sports. Hence it's own section. Out of the way of those who don't approve.

606 v2
From the ashes of 606 emerges a forum for fans of all sports to discuss what matters to them

A thousand apologies but this led me to believe this was a sports fourm, I was clearly mistaken.

Yeah, that would be why there are books, music and TV/Film sections...becuase this is a "purely sports" forum.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Whilst this little passage made me chuckle, let's give it a rest now, fellas, hardly on topic!

I agree, who started all this anyway, kick him off, clearly just a trouble causer.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

at least some one agrees with me

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:at least some one agrees with me

Who did?

BAN THEM!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

it would be the 1st person who started the wrestling vs boxing argument...... Whistle

Last edited by fernando on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

KB? im just trying to help keep things on topic why are you rebelling

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

Hobo,

At the expense of being charged as being a Dragon, I'm finding this difficult to follow.

How much money would it take to

a) Get the RWC
b) The subsequent 12 months

How many regular punters does v2 have?

Is the objective of v2 to be profit-making or self-funding (and if so how are the officers going to be remunerated?

Talking all around the issue doesn't help. If you want people to sign up to the concept, you'd best present your evolving business model.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

fernando wrote:it would be the 1st person who started the wrestling vs boxing argument...... Whistle

Hobo?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

How can boxing be taken seriously when they all have big red hands.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

Cymroglan wrote:How can boxing be taken seriously when they all have big red hands.

Laugh

Class.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:44 pm

Cymroglan wrote:How can boxing be taken seriously when they all have big red hands.

That's because they tend not to have sex for a few weeks before fights, go without for a few weeks I'm getting plenty of us would have red hands

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

Wrestlers don't have sex for years.

With women anyway.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

🤦

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

You haven't heard of kelly kelly then have you scott. she's had a go on 99% of the locker room

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

Scottrf wrote:Wrestlers don't have sex for years.

With women anyway.

Google '1 Night in Chyna' and come back to me.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

King Beer wrote:

With women anyway.

Good looking bloke Chyna is.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

[quote="King Beer"]

With women anyway.

Google '1 Night in Chyna' and come back to me.[/quote

Been there, done that Laugh
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:48 pm

Laugh

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:48 pm

Scottrf wrote:
King Beer wrote:

With women anyway.

Good looking bloke Chyna is.

You've watched it haven't you...... sick man.

Ok, redeem yourself. Google 'Catalina White'. She's dynamite.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

You wrestling chaps aren't so bad.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

PLEASE can we stick to topic - there are still some important points to be made here

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:51 pm

thats what ive been trying to say Davie

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:51 pm

Shocked

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next