The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Simpson

+8
HammerofThunor
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
robbo277
BigTrevsbigmac
RubyGuby
majesticimperialman
Islingtonv2
Mr Bounce
12 posters

Go down

Joe Simpson Empty Joe Simpson

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Is he going to get a run out against Ireland once Youngs has done his 50 min? Or will MJ stick with Wigglesworth?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Joe Simpson Empty Re: Joe Simpson

Post by Islingtonv2 Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:03 pm

The Torygraph seem to have a mole in the England camp, they reported the final RWC 30 about 24 hours before anyone else and got it spot on. They are now saying Manu will start IC and Youngs will miss this game so i'd expect Wigglesworth to start with Simpson getting 20 minutes or so.

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:25 pm

He will after to come on some stage, i would of thought that Johnno might start with him with either Youngs or Wigglesworth on the bench.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Simpson should have been in there from the start IMO - He offers so much more than Wigglesworth and may well return as Englands number 1 scrum half - genuine class player thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 pm

+1 Ruby!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:23 pm

Youngs and Simpson both need minutes. If Leicester want to play Youngs and England play Simpson, that could be a way to go, but both men could do with 60+ minutes this weekend.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:44 am

If Youngs is fit he'd surely play as much of the game as is possible.
Simpson is only in the squad as bench cover..hes the 4th choice 9, injuries aside he wouldnt make any of the important matchday squads or start even a pool game.

Getting him gametime wont be a priority, unless Youngs' injury is makeing him a real concern for the trip.

Having said that wasnt Gomarsal Englands 4th choice last time around....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:51 am

Youngs, Care and Simpson are all the same type of scrum half. Wigglesworth offers something different

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 am

I like the look of Joe Simpson, i feel that he is defo one for the future for England. It may be all a bit too soon for him now but i can see him being there soon enough.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:57 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Youngs, Care and Simpson are all the same type of scrum half. Wigglesworth offers something different

Yes but that something different doesn't work in the England game plan.

Well it may do, but not with Flood at 10, with Wilkinson there I can see us playing a Saracens style game plan.

To be honest since we found Youngs we've been playing in almost a French kind of theme with the 9 dictating the whole attak and the 10-15 just being components to it. With Wigglesworth in that doesn't work so we need to change the game plan.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:23 am

Yes but that something different doesn't work in the England game plan.

I don't think Wigglesworth was on the pitch long enough for that decision to be made. Added to that it was a urine poor England team that was playing around him, his backrow offered him no protection and his bullet passes to Flood found their way to Hape who either knocked on or was driven back, Tindall who either knocked on or was driven back or Banahan who either knocked on or was driven back. Not really the foundation for a scrummy to work from.

Care came on and made even more of a hash of it so I don't think Wigglesworth deserves too much stick. Maybe just a quiet word in his ear to remind him he can actually run with the ball.

Simpson should have been in there from the start IMO - He offers so much more than Wigglesworth

He offers a lot more speed and incision than Wigglesworth but Wigglesworth has the better pass, the better kicking game and the better game management.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 am

I think simpson is one of the most exciting players england have in their squad and i am very happy he has been called up.

I think simpson is potentially the best attacking scrum half in england bar none and i really hope he gets his chance to prove it at the world cup!

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

If we are purely looking at speed and incision he should probably be starting on the wing.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 am

I think people forget he was the more likely to get capped at the same time that Ben Youngs got his chance. It was only injury that kept Joe out. Perhaps we'll get another Bracken/Dawson type rivalry from these two? It can only make them better.

Here's hoping thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:07 am

Simpson was a year older than Ben and was the preferred choice during their times at the under 20s. Both made a break through in the same season but where as Simpson suffered injuries late in the campaign Ben stepped up a gear and was integral in Tigers winning the last GP title. He then went on the tour to Aus and shone.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Simpson has been outstanding at times for Wasps and has helped stopped them from plummetting further down the table.

As to Wigglesworth, yes he could be effective but i just don't think we need his type of scrum half. Much like we didn't use Hodgson before him we need a game breaker at 9 who can create chances for our wings because our centres can not.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down