The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If B-Hop beats Dawson...

+6
Super D Boon
Scottrf
Josiah Maiestas
Union Cane
coxy0001
Valero's Conscience
10 posters

Go down

If B-Hop beats Dawson... Empty If B-Hop beats Dawson...

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

Given his age and Dawson's abilities would this victory alone move him higher up the ATG rankings?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

If B-Hop beats Dawson... Empty Re: If B-Hop beats Dawson...

Post by coxy0001 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

BHop does beats Dawson, loves lefties... Comfortable UD

Dawson does help and is probably one of 2 fights that'd enhance his legacy. The other being the winner of the S6, barring that there isn't anyone around that'd help.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

This must surely improve Calzaghe's legacy too, no?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:40 am

Union Cane wrote:This must surely improve Calzaghe's legacy too, no?

Agreed it's got to.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:47 am

Not really. One fight doesn't prove alot, if they had fought a hundred times would Calzaghe have won 50 or more? I doubt it.. thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:

Not really. One fight doesn't prove alot, if they had fought a hundred times would Calzaghe have won 50 or more? I doubt it.. thumbsup
Based on the evidence, 100.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

Of course it enhances his legacy. When Calzaghe beat BHop everyone was saying BHop was washed up, 3 years on and some and he goes and beats the man they said was the best, breaks the oldest world champ record in the process. Calzaghe's pretty happy with Bernard's work of late I'm sure. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Not really. One fight doesn't prove alot, if they had fought a hundred times would Calzaghe have won 50 or more? I doubt it.. thumbsup

Good logic, didn't think of it like that.

Let's take Lennox Lewis for example then, one fight doesn't prove a lot so we'll ignore those he fought only once, his record is 1-1 against Rahman, 1-1 against McCall and 1-0-1 with Holyfield. And people say he was an ATG. Fools.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

No Union there's a new rule according to the wum Josiah Mathies. JC should have to fight a hundered times against BHop winning at least 50 times in order for it to count. laughing

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Of course it enhances his legacy. When Calzaghe beat BHop everyone was saying BHop was washed up, 3 years on and some and he goes and beats the man they said was the best, breaks the oldest world champ record in the process. Calzaghe's pretty happy with Bernard's work of late I'm sure. OK

Not a really good legacy when it's based on who your opposition fought rather than who you fought. Calzaghe was great, but will always have the shadow of "should have done more" over him.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Think i'm with Bhb on this one, can see the argument that Hopkins' ongoing impressive form does give lie to the idea Hopkins was shot but think to base a guys legacy on who your opponents have beat is a bit tenuous, also should be noted Calzaghe's win over Hopkins was hardly dominant, it was wafer thin and could have gone either way. Is a good win and for me Joe's best but don't see too many folk reviewing their middleweight list or arguing Jermain Taylor deserves a bump and he beat Bernard twice.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

Like Rowley said if Calzaghe had dominated Bhop then maybe it would help his legacy but he never I tough Bhop won that fight and still do to this day. The longer Bhop goes on the more it may enhance his legacy all depending how much importance you put on longevity. For me he is a top 25-30 ATG and I don't think he will be able to do anything before he retires to make himself top 20 imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

I am just interested in BHop v Dawson. Calzaghe's ebst win is undoubtedly BHop so the Dawson fight wont change anything on Joes legacy.The fact BHop beat Pascal at 46 is enough.

Re the Dawson fight. I am concerned for Bhop, he is far more vunerable these days (and entertainig on plus side). Pascal drpped him twice and Hopkins took more risks than i have seen in long time in the second. Thing is, to beat dawson i think Bhop may have to make this fight ugly, standing at range and outboxing/outfoxing Pascal (the smaller man) is one thing, but against Dawson that might not work

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

Is interesting with Hopkins because you could argue he is in a position where he can only improve his legacy and cannot really harm it, because even if he starts losing the odd fight here and there is going to be dimissed as perfectly understandable given his age, even if he got dominated, which is unlikely given how wily he is would probably be put down as the night he finally got old, whereas the more he keeps beating the best the division has to offer at his age the wins just get more and more impressive

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 25 Aug 2011, 2:21 pm

very true Rowley. I am very intrigued in seeing where Bhop's career goes from here, and how it ends. After Calzaghe in 2008 i wrote him off as done.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down