The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Poulters live tweets during his tournament round disrespectful

+8
oldparwin
MustPuttBetter
Bob_the_Job
Noshankingtonite
Diggers
SmithersJones
super_realist
Maverick
12 posters

Go down

Are Poulters live tweets during his tournament round disrespectful Empty Are Poulters live tweets during his tournament round disrespectful

Post by Maverick Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:43 am

Firstly before I get told off for being a sad numpty for using twitter! (I know many of us use it, however thers chastise for admitting it)

I've been dipping in and out of it periodically this evening and see that Ian Poulter is tweeting shot by shot his round in the barclays opening round.

So far we've had things such as how he hit his opening tee shot, a lucky bounce at a par 3, about how he is using the preferred lies at plainfield, how he made an esy 3 on a tricky hole etc, etc. Basically you get the gist...

But considering we are asked not to use mobiles on course out of etiquette, and how the PGA tour has only just introduced mobile phone areas in certain parts of the course. Do Poulters actions no make a mockery of both of these things by using his iPhone to keep us updated on his round. Is he not being full of self importance by doing this and more importantly being disrespectful to his playing partners.

Sky are covering him and not once have they mentioned his antics but for anyone accessing tweetsville it's plain to see what he is doing. I like Poulter he is a bit brash and self absorbed but he's a brit with confidence in the states thats whats needed but I find this totally disrespectful

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Are Poulters live tweets during his tournament round disrespectful Empty Re: Are Poulters live tweets during his tournament round disrespectful

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:51 am

Can't see the problem. I'm not a Twitter user, but there's an awful lot of downtime and waiting in the professional game. If it keeps their mind off the game then fair enough. Golf is stuffy enough, would it be any more disrespectful if he got a book out and started reading it?
At least he actually tweets himself, instead of paying someone to do it on his behalf like some absurdly named player currently tumbling down the rankings.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Are Poulters live tweets during his tournament round disrespectful Empty Re: Are Poulters live tweets during his tournament round disrespectful

Post by Maverick Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:56 am

SR

I can buy that point but it just shows doesnt it... One rule for them and another for club golfers, Mrs Mav is due to drop anouther mini mav in october and has had a shall we say tough time carrying this time and I sometimes check my phone discreetly so as not to offend anyone to see if she has messaged to let m know if she has been taken ill again and I get chastised for it...

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:10 am

He's not doing it himself, he's got a mate following him around.

IanJamesPoulter Range time teeing off at 16.25 I think we will get 15-16 holes in. @jamesdunkley3 will use my phone keep u updated on hole by hole scores.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:11 pm

You can imagine Poulter being on the bog and tweeting about it. "Just gone into the loo, think might be a number two, will let you know consistency as it happens, Ooh, that feels good nice firm one, just wiped my bum now and washed my hands. Now leaving toilet...did I tell you I have 6 toilets in my huge house.......blah blah blah......."
What a Gareth Hunt he is.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Diggers wrote:You can imagine Poulter being on the bog and tweeting about it. "Just gone into the loo, think might be a number two, will let you know consistency as it happens, Ooh, that feels good nice firm one, just wiped my bum now and washed my hands. Now leaving toilet...did I tell you I have 6 toilets in my huge house.......blah blah blah......."

Ahh Gareth Hunt, didn't he appear on a well-known coffee ad back in the 70s? That's a blast from the past Diggers Wink
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't disagree that poulters tweets are inane and pointless, but he's obviously got a market for it. What does thst say for the people who follow his tweets? Probably should get out more.
I like poulter, but I couldn't care less for his stupid banal tweets or any other persons for that matter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:49 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:
Diggers wrote:You can imagine Poulter being on the bog and tweeting about it. "Just gone into the loo, think might be a number two, will let you know consistency as it happens, Ooh, that feels good nice firm one, just wiped my bum now and washed my hands. Now leaving toilet...did I tell you I have 6 toilets in my huge house.......blah blah blah......."

Ahh Gareth Hunt, didn't he appear on a well-known coffee ad back in the 70s? That's a blast from the past Diggers Wink

That's the one mate, he was an Avenger with the lovely Ms Lumley as well I believe. God I'm old.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Diggers, he had a very easy to misinterpret gesture on the nescafe advert too if I remember.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:40 pm

What I like about tweets are.. I don't have to read them. As a form of broadcast media (one to many), it's nice to be able to choose..and I choose not to bother with twitter at all, despite being in the "technology sector". And then you read a newspaper, or watch the TV news and they quote someone's tweet. D'oh!

Poulter is clearly a bit of a self-publicist, but doing it via twitter is fine because it gives people the choice (I can't really see the interest in the rather inane minutia of his life). However, if he was actually tweeting himself during a round, I'd wonder about his focus, priorities and respect for his playing partners (it's bound to be a bit distracting wondering if his later tweet was about his shot or yours). Getting a mate to do it is just.. well.. Poulteresque.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't see a huge problem with it.

If he were being disreespectful in the tweets to his fellow players then sure that's bad ettiquette, but just reporting what's happening? Can't see how that would offend anyone. There are thousands of reporters all doing the same thing, what difference can it make? I can actually see the appeal in reading it too, although i've not. Only whilst he's on the course mind.

He's not necessarily carrying a mobile around by the way, you can do all this stuff on an iPod
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Although I think tweeting is a bit pointless, I'm wondering whether Poulter is getting clog for it because he's Poulter.
Would Furyk, Stricker, Donald or Westwood be criticised?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:23 pm

I would criticise any of them (I don't mind Poulter and quite admire him in a number of ways). If I was playing with someone who was tweeting, it would p1ss me off, hence my view. But as we know, he wasn't.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:36 pm

super_realist wrote:Although I think tweeting is a bit pointless, I'm wondering whether Poulter is getting clog for it because he's Poulter.
Would Furyk, Stricker, Donald or Westwood be criticised?

The point being, would anyone think Stricker, Donald or Poulter would be likely to do it ? Whereas nobody would be the slighest bit suprised if Poulter did. Ive seen him in interviews talking about Twitter and how pleased he was ( I actually think he said we rather than he which made me want to punch his smug face on the tele) to have overtaken somebody as he now had so many followers. Talk about needy.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Steady on Diggers, I think you hate him as much as I hate Woods.
Still don't hate either as much as I hate Heston Blumenthal though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I dont really have any strong feelings on Heston it has to be said. My celebrity chef dislike is all pretty much focussed on Ramsay who seems like a thoroughly unpleasant person.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 pm

I'm not fond of Jamie Oliver either. Hopefully he'll choke on that fat tongue of his one day.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:58 pm

He has always been a big headed self centred a***hole, so why would you expect anything less from him.

Now I agree with Mav, if phones are banned from the course during tournaments, or at my course at all times, then you think the Pros would lead by example, just shows how much of a Pro Poulter is!!

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm not 100% but I'm sure I heard that it was Poulter's friend who was doing the tweeting during the round, not Poulter himself?

As you know I like Poutler, but I'm not a massive Twitter fan, I find it all a bit 'look at me'.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Yes it was confirmed by Poulter and reported further up on this thread that it was his friend @jamesdunkley3 who was tweeting on IJP's behalf

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:21 pm

The fact Poulter tweets during tournements is basically him all over.

he aint gonna get noticed for his golf anymore, that is for sure!!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't James Dunkley Poulter's caddy? If so, he shouldn't be tweeting mid round either!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:45 pm

drive4show wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong

Consider yourself corrected. Terry Mundy is Poulter's bagman.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:46 pm

d4s
I don't think anyone has claimed it's his caddy tweeting. Just that its a friend.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Ah OK, thanks for clearing that up chaps thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down