The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC Rio spoilers

5 posters

Go down

UFC Rio spoilers Empty UFC Rio spoilers

Post by talkingpoint Sun 28 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

As the title says this topic contains spoilers to the main fights at UFC Rio (134):

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Minotauro Nogueria beat Brendan Schaub with a 1st Round KO

Shogun Rua beat Forrest Griffin with a 1st Round KO

Anderson Silva beat Yushin Okami with a 2nd Round KO

All three fights had a similar pattern - the fights remained standing and were basically decided in a boxing contest. Schaub and Nogueria went back and forward until late into the first round when Nogueria caught Schaub rocking him against the cage and then finally knocking him to the ground. Nogueria looked slow and his age definitely seems to show now but he still must have considerably punch power left as Schaub never really pushed the pace and fought at Nogueria's level.

Shogun's victory came much quicker, Griffin seemed cagey, almost too reserved and Rua wasted little time throwing some good combinations to floor Forrest and finish him off with a series of hammerfists. The Silva/Okami fight managed to last two rounds but it was immediately apparent from round one that Okami was too one dimensional. Okami stalked Anderson in the first, eventually pressing him against the cage with a half clinch. Silva responded with some knees that forced Okami to attempt a takedown that Silva stuffed with ease forcing Okami to remain on his feet. Right at the end of the first Silva caught Okami on the back of the head with a high kick but the bell rang before he had a chance to capitalise. As the second round opened Silva immediately picked up the pace flustering Okami before settling down into his Muhammad Ali routine. Silva kept his hands low and enticed Okami to approach him baiting him to take a shot. Okami obliged and Silva countered with a stiff jab that rocked Okami, sending him to the floor. Silva refused to engage Okami on the ground and forced him to get back up. The same thing happened again only this time Silva followed it up with some shots to the head and torso before the ref stepped in as Okami was no longer able to continue the fight.

I must admit that while the Big Nog and Shogun KOs were nice to see, I was very disappointed in the Silva fight. He made it look too easy and quite frankly it's just getting boring to watch. It was blatently obvious Silva sucked Okami into fighting his fight. Silva's a black belt in BJJ yet he seems very reluctant to fight on the ground. The longer the fight remained standing the more it was going to favour Silva. Okami never really threw combinations just single jabs or hooks. (Naturally) Okami looked tentative for the majority of the fight and couldn't force Silva out of his stride. At least Sonnen threw everything at Silva, he left everything in the Octagon. But Okami was too reserved and you know he had more in him. Personally I just wish Okami had played a few more mind games with Silva. Rather than engage Silva when he was baiting him just walk away and gesture for Silva to come to him. Instead he just walked into those right hands. Silva is supremely confident and you can't blame him, but that confidence is paralysing his opponents. I know I would be the same in there against him but from a spectator's point of view it's just too predictable. Not that it may have made a difference to the outcome but I would have liked to have seen Okami attempt a Judo like throw from the clinch against the cage. I believe he would have had more success with that than the single leg he half heartedly attemped. I really don't know why Okami was content to fight at Silva's pace and march to Silva's drum?!

Silva is an amazing competitor in as much as he forces his opponent to fight his fight (except Sonnen). Silva is the champion at playing mind games and manipulates his opponents so well. Silva is also scarily fast and accurate in his strikes and I'm sure there is enough power behind them too as Okami was rocked twice. Who knows what the future holds for Silva and the middleweight division but the longer he goes unbeaten the harder it will be to break that aura.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

UFC Rio spoilers Empty Re: UFC Rio spoilers

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

I thought the Pearson fight was the best one and I gave it to Pearson 29-28. But wasnt surprised with the split decision going either way

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Mon 29 Aug 2011, 10:33 am

One of the best events I have seen live. Very glad I stayed up.

Pearson won the fight for me but it wasn't a terrible decision as a close fight.

Anderson Silva class as usual. GSP is no 1 still though.

Big Nog looked like a different fighter. I was thinking he should retire before the fight but beating Schuab is a huge win and will put him back in the title picture. I'd like to see him and Brock next.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:12 am

I too gave Pearson the 1st and 3rd and scored it 29-28 but going against a Brazilian in Brazil it was always going to be difficult beating him via the judges score card. Glad it got FOTN bonus though, it was a war and an awesome stand-up battle.

Loved the card as a whole and can see Brazil being a regular location for future UFC events.

(Nice break down Talkingpoint)

I also liked the Erick Silva vs. Luis Ramos fight with Erick Silva KO'ing Ramos 40 seconds into the fight in the first round. The fight was between two Brazilian rival training teams and a big chunk of reputation was on the line so a fight that definitely meant something was ended with a beautiful overhand right.

Just a quick question, with the Fight of the Night bonus going to Ross Pearson vs. Edson Barboza do they split the $100,000 bonus or do they get $100,000 each?

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

gibbo104 wrote:I too gave Pearson the 1st and 3rd and scored it 29-28 but going against a Brazilian in Brazil it was always going to be difficult beating him via the judges score card. Glad it got FOTN bonus though, it was a war and an awesome stand-up battle.

Loved the card as a whole and can see Brazil being a regular location for future UFC events.

(Nice break down Talkingpoint)

I also liked the Erick Silva vs. Luis Ramos fight with Erick Silva KO'ing Ramos 40 seconds into the fight in the first round. The fight was between two Brazilian rival training teams and a big chunk of reputation was on the line so a fight that definitely meant something was ended with a beautiful overhand right.

Just a quick question, with the Fight of the Night bonus going to Ross Pearson vs. Edson Barboza do they split the $100,000 bonus or do they get $100,000 each?

I've only seen the top 3 fights for the card and pleased with the results!

The bonus is paid out to both fighters and not split i believe.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

FOTN bonuses are given to each of the fighters.

Agreed Erick Silva looked promising. It will be interesting to see him up against some experienced UFC opposition.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

Cheers for clearing up the FOTN bonus question for me guys:-D

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down