The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup

+9
SmithersJones
Davie
Adam D
princedracula
super_realist
Doon the Water
kwinigolfer
1GrumpyGolfer
oldparwin
13 posters

Go down

World Cup Empty World Cup

Post by oldparwin Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:51 pm

Seems a bit odd that Westwood, Donald and Casey have turned down an opportunity to play for their country in the upcoming World Cup of golf, was it having to partner Poulter?? or is it they just do not want the hassle of having to go to China, seems a bit odd though, wonder what will happen when the golfing Olympics start.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

World Cup Empty Re: World Cup

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:14 pm

OPW, Casey was never in with a shout of the World Cup unless he was a player's pick. The selection process is the highest OWGR ranked player to accept the invite and then they get to choose a playing partner. Poulter may have asked Casey, so your point could be valid, but looks like Rose was the one to accept the chance. May be a good way for Rose and Poulter to show teamwork for the Ryder Cup.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:27 pm

oldpar,
I think Donald is grounded at that time as his wife is due to give birth about then. You'll see him missing between Madrid and Dubai!

Looks like Westwood declined the first chance at this.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

I have for ages said that the World Cup should rate as a major.

To play for your country in a World Championship should be the highlight of any sportspersons career.

I am disgusted with golfers such as Woods and Westwood who choose to turn down this opportunity.

It is all about money and it is all wrong.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

Doon,
Don't you think a Major is a bit much?
But would say it should be ranked as a WGC, which of course is exactly what it was a few years ago. But, for instance, Dodd and Dredge never got any bennies from winning it, not recognised by the PGA Tour, no exemptions for winning it, no nothing. Except beaucoup cash of course.

Just because the Americans made a joke out of it, no benefits accrued to the winners. A scandal really, very sad.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:59 pm

It's a bit tinpot to be fair.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:05 pm

Similar to the US, the top Ausies don't seem to care too much about this either: Brendan Jones and Richard Green in their team... Otherwise, the collection of players looks pretty impressive. Matteo will have to advance past both Molinari's in owgr in future to have a chance to make that team... Smile

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

I am with Doon on this one, players should be proud to represent their countries, irrespective of the rewards. You would not see footballers saying to England no I do not want play.
I am afraid it is a bad slant on the game of golf

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:24 pm

Some mitigation for top Americans and Aussies:
The geniuses who schedule the World Cup have it the week after the Pres Cup, and a fortnight after the Aussie Open which is required attendance for Freddie's American Team.
And it clashes with the US Thanksgiving Holiday and the Aussies Masters (I think).

Couldn't've picked a much worse week for the World Cup - it reeks of Finchem saying: " Play it when you like, we don't give a damn."

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:29 pm

Can you name another sport where the World Championships means so little.

I think the R&A and the USGA should run the show {like The Opens} and put the money grabbing Tours to shame.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Can you name another sport where the World Championships means so little.

Judging by John Terry and co, I would suggest football Wink

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

I'm no Chelsea fan (nor JT particularly) but I'd say it was unfair to question his committment. Talent maybe, but not committment

As for the golf World Cup, I expect the likes of Diggers will find a way to put a bad spin on it but Poulter's desire to play for Englans speaks volumes - as does the lack of desire by others

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

oldparwin wrote:I am with Doon on this one, players should be proud to represent their countries, irrespective of the rewards. You would not see footballers saying to England no I do not want play.
I am afraid it is a bad slant on the game of golf

Unless of course it's a meaningless friendly akin to the Golf World Cup or if you're name is Paul Robinson, Robert Green, Peter Crouch or players such as Gerrard and Lampard dishing out lame excuses of having an "injury" only to play three days later for their clubs or players getting intentionally booked like Beckham so they don't have to play in a less important game, apart from that you'd never see an England player saying they don't want to play Rolling Eyes Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

Didn't David Bentley refuse to play for England? May have been U21s but nonetheless he chose not to play.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Didn't David Bentley refuse to play for England? May have been U21s but nonetheless he chose not to play.
and Chris Sutton refused to play for the "b" side.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:35 pm

Does that make Murray a bad guy for missing Davis Cup matches? Or does it mean he is just managing his schedule....much like Westwood is doing.
The World Cup has never generated much interest, I doubt most sports fans who aren't that into golf even know it exists and certainly wouldn't know the format.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:30 am

kwinigolfer wrote:But would say it should be ranked as a WGC, which of course is exactly what it was a few years ago. But, for instance, Dodd and Dredge never got any bennies from winning it, not recognised by the PGA Tour, no exemptions for winning it, no nothing.
That's the crux of it Kwini... golf is a career sport, where everything you do is with an eye to where it gets you... the pinnacle is the majors, but even they're won with the safety net of 5 year exemptions and so on. The WC doesn't even come with so much as a one-year tour exemption, so if say Portugal won it, Hugo Santos would be relying on sponsors to even play the Challenge Tour, let alone the ET. Most of the big names like Westwood and Donald could play anywhere at any time for a similar sort of reward as the WC offers, so no wonder they don't play it. Not sure what the fix is though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:57 am

Poulter was the highest ranked golfer to accept the invite to play the event, and he chose Rose as his partner due to their close links and friendship. Such was the announcement made...

The world cup of golf for me is hardly an event worth watching anyway just doesnt lend itself toward golf, better if they had it as a mtachplay event with a group stage then knockout stages

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

By the way stacks of footbalers are now choosing not to play for England to prolong their club careers. Scholes being a classic example, he would certainly have continued to be selected and was often approached to play again but wasnt interested.
Shows where priorities lie these days but lets face it, playing football for England can be a thankless task so why go through the aggro.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

It seems sad to me, that lining your own pockets is more important than representing you country. We should now maybe look at the word sport, and replace it with the word greed.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

The Denmark team of Anders Hansen and Thomas Bjorn looks a bit useful.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

Oldpar: I think if they made it more interesting for the players e.g matchplay as I said before it could be well worth representing the country and team, problem is the current format does nothing for them or the country as most countries don't even celebrate the win as a world cup victory as it's an empty event. It's needs some knockout stuff and played on target style stadium courses where you will see aggressive play from all involved instead of steadiest guys win. Take the Molinaris win for example hardly was exciting stuff, had that been matchplay then there would have been more chance of excitement because if you lose thats it your on the boat home so to speak

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 31 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm

The old Dunhill event nearly had the formula.
I suggest
Teams of four with seeded regional qualifying based on world rankings.
4 players per team. matchplay, am foursomes, pm singles.

Final played over 4 days with eight teams.
Scrap the useless Presidents Cup and Seve Trophy.
Four year span for new WC and Ryder Cup

Sorted~where's my consultants fee?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:03 pm

Doon

You just forgot to mention the prize purse lets say £10 million. OK

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:06 pm

OPW
Join the queue of sponsors PLEASE.
My people will be in touch.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:11 pm

I am sure my loose change will cover it.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down