The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So where does golf sit in your life?

+17
Noshankingtonite
kwinigolfer
goldwolf
BlueCoverman
navyblueshorts
drive4show
oldparwin
JAS
Doon the Water
Maverick
Diggers
dynamark
Davie
Skydriver
super_realist
Mercurio
McLaren
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

So where does golf sit in your life? Empty So where does golf sit in your life?

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:38 am

As we all talk about golf on here I think we just assume we are all hard core golfers and that it is our favourite sport. For me it is the sport I like to play the most but I also love playing football. As for watching golf, outside the majors and bigger events I tend not to be that gripped by it. Other than the playing of the game my main interest in golf lies in the history of the game and the architecture.

The sports I watch the most often, and in fact probably have a greater expertise in, are firstly F1 and then football. I would be interested to hear what other sports you people are into and where golf ranks in your sporting life. Hopefully this will be a way to unearth some common interests and some interesting snippets about our sporting life’s.

Actually it would be good to hear about other passions in your life as there is nothing to say a sport is one of your main interests. For me, potentially sadly, my main interests are the sports I play and follow. It would be refreshing to hear that someone on the board had a passion outside sport and especially golf.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

So where does golf sit in your life? Empty Re: So where does golf sit in your life?

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

My wife has moved to Switzerland to work for 3 years and I'm staying in the UK to improve my golf.

I think that shows the importance of golf to me, right now.

I said I'd follow her over when I become a single-figure handicapper (I think I'll have to change clubs to achieve that!).

P.S. I'm a big fan of F1, too. I do the camping and hospitality bits at Silverstone. I intend to add another European circuit next year.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

So where does golf sit in your life? Empty Re: So where does golf sit in your life?

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

Golf used to be the be-all and end all for me. A couple of years ago between Mar and September I think I missed something like 14 days and got to my lowest handicap, however I ceased to enjoy it as I put too much pressure on myself to score and practicing was a chore.
Now I still play on a saturday and sunday but it's less important and now I'm scoring better as a result of playing more freely.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:02 am

mercurio

Do you mean you run the camping and hospitality or that you use it?

I know some purists, as I used to think I was, may argue the rules are contrived this season but I am loving it. Every race seems like a classic.

One thing that is for sure is that I will be glad to see, and indeed hear, the back of the exhaust blown diffusers. It really ruins the sound of the cars.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

SR

I may have taken it a little easier than you as I no longer play any medal's or other club comps, but I enjoy the game so much more now. I concentrate on playing the courses I want to play.

Have you taken up another sport to fill the gaps left by playing less golf?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

super_realist wrote:Golf used to be the be-all and end all for me. A couple of years ago between Mar and September I think I missed something like 14 days and got to my lowest handicap, however I ceased to enjoy it as I put too much pressure on myself to score and practicing was a chore.

That's what I'm worried about doing. Sometimes, if I play twice on a weekend, I feel like I need a break from golf, but I'm nearly always champing at the bit come the following weekend.

It does, however, bring it home that even considering the wonderful lives a lot of Tour Pros have, I can see why it can become a chore for them. Having said that, maybe it's not as bad if you regularly shoot under par.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:11 am

An interesting question.

I only picked up a golf club for the first time about 3 years ago, prior to which, I didn't even follow the sport particularly.

The other important pastimes in my life have been with me for somewhat longer - music and martial arts. In particular, I have played the piano since I was a child, and have practised/studied (not sure which word is more appropriate) karate since university days.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

McLaren wrote:mercurio

Do you mean you run the camping and hospitality or that you use it?

I know some purists, as I used to think I was, may argue the rules are contrived this season but I am loving it. Every race seems like a classic.

One thing that is for sure is that I will be glad to see, and indeed hear, the back of the exhaust blown diffusers. It really ruins the sound of the cars.

I use the camping/hospitality, albeit we hired a motorhome this year.

I'm like you and class myself as a purist because even if there was none of the contrived rules, I would still be/was a fan.

Exhaust blown diffusers or V6s?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

Mac, I've always been a keen sportsman, for instance I run 5 times a week, play five a side, climbing, snowboarding, mountain biking as well as being interested in history, travel and languages.
Golf is still very important to me as my number one sport, and I want to get lower in handicap, but the way to do that is to take away the importance and signficance of the goal. It's a mental game (in more than one way) so the less pressure you put on yourself the better.
Must have played about 20 different courses this year, some of the best golf of my life but far fewer medal rounds and I've certainly enjoyed it more than constantly playing medal rounds.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Interesting question!

Golf is my favourite sport to participate in - in fact now as I get older it's the only sport I participate in. Used to play a lot of racquet sports (Badminton, Tennis, Squash in that order) but my knees aren't up to it anymore. I'd still have a knock about but couldn't play any of them seriously anymore

As for watching, I like watching golf, particularly the bigger events, but I also watch Football, Rugby and in fact most sports unless they involve horses. Football would probably be first choice though golf Majors and the Rugby World Cup will temporarily oust football from first choice.

Finally, I'd still rather PLAY golf than watch almost any other sporting event. I get annoyed with playing partners sometimes who call off a golf game because they want to watch a particular sporting event. The RWC final or something similar is possibly the only televised sport I'd forego a game of golf for

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

v6 Turbo. Although not sure about the 15 000 rpm limit.

The horrible farting noise of the diffusers is just not right with the red bull and the Renault being the worst offenders.

Davie

Yes I will only pospone a game of golf for f1 and bigger man utd games.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

I've never really "got" F1, as an engineering contest yes but nothing else, although I accept people have their reasons I just find it incredibly dull. Without a hint of criticism I'd love to know what it is that people find interesting about it. I'm open minded about it, but must be missing something.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

Transition.My 2 best mates have retired and are loving it playing 3./4 times a week.I hope to do the same next year.At present just sat am and wed evening no range or practice lots of other time consuming stuff.Gym and swimming couple of evenings.Watch footy and play badminton with my daughter which is key as she lives with her mum most of the time.
However 20 odd years ago I was so into it that I invested heavily in a new course which was immensly enjoyable but in th end cost me a pile of cash.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:31 am

Not that high right now. Clealry in life in general a long way behind family and friends.
In sporting terms now Im knocking on its a good sport to play and I enjoy it a lot though its frustrating to be not very good at it most times. I have to say there are many other sports I prefer to watch, love watching athletics and its hard to beat a really good boxing match, I just dont get the same buzz from watching golf as I do from watching say a great 100 meters final (not that we have just had one obviously). Im really struggling to get interested in any golf on TV this year.
With one young kid and another on the way plus a busy job I really dont see how I can play and practise that regularly for the next few years which is a pity but the plusses more than make up for missing out on hitting a ball with a stick.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Diggers, obviously you're still active in the old "bed sport" given your young brood at your age Wink

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

Nice interesting topic for the day Mac will hopefully allow an insight into us all.

Golf is my number 1 participation sport these days and the one I put the most practice into.

Aside from this main sporting interests lie, in Boxing (former army Welterweight and midlleweight champ) now it lies purely in watching the sport as an avid spectaor and working one evening a week with a local youth centre as a volunteer teaching youngsters in how to box properly and keeping them off the streets, i don't get involved with the boxing boards as people take it far to personally and at end of the day it's just a sport. I love watching MMA and have attend a few UFC bouts in Vegas for the thrill of it all even contemplated recently having a stint in the Octagon but at 31 feel like too old to begin the training again.

Other than that whenever i'm in the states for work I try to get to a Grid Iron game or a Baseball game as I love both sports and try to follow them as closely as possible supporting NY teams the Jets and Yankees respectively. Love my football if you can call watching Arsenal that, only gave up playing last season to spend more time on my golf, recently gave up my season ticket at the Emirates though because the price of games compared to the amount of times I was going was ridiculous.

My main interest though and always will be is my kids, spending time with them is the singly best feeling in the world helping them grow and develop into nice young individuals is the most important thing to me.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

I play golf for fun now. I gave up competitive play a couple of years ago.
I was on the verge of quitting but now I have grown to enjoy the game again.
I was always very competitive at all the sports I played, Good at golf, rugby, athletics and football but more by effort than talent.
Golf and hill walking for me know. Enjoy watching golf and rugby.
Refuse to have Sky Sports as I would vegitate on the couch and my life would pass me by.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:49 am

super_realist wrote:Diggers, obviously you're still active in the old "bed sport" given your young brood at your age Wink

Yep, every once in a while anyway. Must admit having kids 10 years ago seems like it would have been a good idea now, but for me the right girl came along later so what can you do. Maybe you can relate to this but the best feeling Ive ever got from a sport or pastime, whatever you want to call it, is skiing an empty run on a lovely day on good snow. Truly spiritual.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

super_realist wrote:I've never really "got" F1, as an engineering contest yes but nothing else, although I accept people have their reasons I just find it incredibly dull. Without a hint of criticism I'd love to know what it is that people find interesting about it. I'm open minded about it, but must be missing something.

It's lots of little things that make it enjoyable for me, but if you want an instant 'wow' factor, look at Mark Webber's overtake of Teflonso at Eau Rouge last Sunday.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

Super

As you say f1 is a great act of constantly evoloving engineering and technology. I love all things technical like that and innovation always interest me. So this is probably a basis for many peoples enjoyment of the sport. It is also the sport which needs the most complex strategies and planning to succeed. As a spectator I love trying to work out what the teams are trying to do on things like tyre strategy. It is interesting to see the race unfold and what this means for each car. There is also so many battles right threw the field to follow, not just the guys at the front.

It is also hard to ignore how mind blowing it is to watch the drivers and cars perform to such extremes. Whether this is braking from 320 kph to 100 kph in 50m or taking a corner like eau rouge flat out. I am not sure people realise just how difficult it is to not only drive an f1 car fast enough to compete while at the same time managing tyres, brakes, race strategy etc.

There is of course always the of track drama to keep you interested as well.

Is there another sport where no matter who you support there remains interest to the very end? As long as you really start to think about what is going on throughout the field there is great fun to be had watching f1. It is not like other sports where what you see is all you need to worry about, for me this added element is the joy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

Anyone who has done karting will know how draining that can be on the arms and the back. F1 must be like that tenfold.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

Much prefer wtaching the Moto GP as a spectacle personally. Dont mind watching the F1 on TV and certainly agree ithe drivers are massively skillful but it is bar none the dullest sport for me to watch live. You just dont get to see enough of what is going on, only been once and I wouldnt go again if you paid me.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

Golf is now my number 1 sport, it's slowly but surely crept towRd obsessional since I picked up a club for the first time in 20 odd years about 7 years ago. At that point I was heavily into martial arts (shotokan karate) and most spare weekends I'd head to Cornwall with my surfboard if there was a swell.
I still surf when I can but just don't get the time nowadays, still keep my hand in with Shotokan but am restricted to helping out and instructing now rather than going hell for leather myself ( scaling back before overuse injuries begin to take their toll). I used to run classes and took about 20 people from complete beginner to black belt and half a dozen of them to 2nd Dan.

When I was widowed 4 years ago it was very much golf and training for the 2008 London marathon that kept me sane. Sounds weird to say that golf kept me sane as now it seems to be doing the opposite. I think I may be getting to the point where I take a step back and re-evaluate as there have been quite a few occasions this year where I haven't actually enjoyed golf.

I no longer watch football, just completely disillusioned with it and how money has corrupted it and ruined it. F1 I just don't get (have the race, set the new engineering rules and see if the winner is still the winner!!) cricket I detest with a passion, tennis I can watch the big tournaments, rugby is ok I can enjoy
watching from time to time. I also still like to watch the mountain stages of the tour de France and finally golf, I watch far too much of it on TV.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

Got to agree with you on the F1 guys.Coverage this year is excellent.Love all the technical stuff.Many moons ago I had a couple of mates who went from Formula Ford to F3 and spent a lot of time at practice days.Friday morning at silverstone was pretty much a free for all with the F1 guys out with formula fords and sports cars.Unthinkable now.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

I see we are all well rounded individuals then. Golf, sport and more golf seems the order of the day.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

Lol, I think I've raised this point before on the old BBC boards but one of the drawbacks of being heavily into golf is...youre out on a night out and chatting up girls and they ask..."so what are you up to this weekend?" You say "golf".....and they're gone in a flash!!! Tiger must have had some patter to talk himself round that one....so many times!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:Diggers, obviously you're still active in the old "bed sport" given your young brood at your age Wink

Yep, every once in a while anyway. Must admit having kids 10 years ago seems like it would have been a good idea now, but for me the right girl came along later so what can you do. Maybe you can relate to this but the best feeling Ive ever got from a sport or pastime, whatever you want to call it, is skiing an empty run on a lovely day on good snow. Truly spiritual.

Diggers, not so much an empty run although feshly prepared corduroy is good, but a nice steep and long sunny section of tree lined untracked powder is pretty hard to beat, especially with an optimum number of mates present.

Mac, I think the reason I like to watch certain sports is because I choose to watch the ones I participate and play well in. I can't and never will be able to drive an F1 car, but playing most sport to a pretty high level helps me relate to the people I'm watching on TV in those respective sports. I just can't get that with F1, so I can't marvel over an overtaking move because I can't relate to it, nor can I see it as exciting because I don't know or can't imagine what it would feel like.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

It works the other way round too.Young lady I see at the gym has a partner who is always out on the golf course.Very easy to start a conversation with'where is he golfing again' and off she goes into one and I can be sympathetic..
Theres more to life than golf -apparently.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

JAS wrote:Lol, I think I've raised this point before on the old BBC boards but one of the drawbacks of being heavily into golf is...youre out on a night out and chatting up girls and they ask..."so what are you up to this weekend?" You say "golf".....and they're gone in a flash!!! Tiger must have had some patter to talk himself round that one....so many times!!

I know what you mean JAS, mrs mav when we first me thought I was normal knowing I played football Saturdays and when I said on Sundays I play golf Shocked . It doesn't have the pulling power of say on Sunday I drive a F1 car at break neck speeds risjing life and limb to entertain others...... As for Tiger i think his wallet size meant no need for patter

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

When you are young with a family then golf is way down your order of priority, but as the family grow up and leave the nest to have a family of their own, your thoughts start to turn to golf again.

My weekend would not be complete without being on the golf course, there is a crowd of us that play every Sat/Sunday if the course is open,and when the course is shut then as my wife says I am a right old miserable a***hole

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Maverick wrote:
JAS wrote:Lol, I think I've raised this point before on the old BBC boards but one of the drawbacks of being heavily into golf is...youre out on a night out and chatting up girls and they ask..."so what are you up to this weekend?" You say "golf".....and they're gone in a flash!!! Tiger must have had some patter to talk himself round that one....so many times!!

I know what you mean JAS, mrs mav when we first me thought I was normal knowing I played football Saturdays and when I said on Sundays I play golf Shocked . It doesn't have the pulling power of say on Sunday I drive a F1 car at break neck speeds risjing life and limb to entertain others...... As for Tiger i think his wallet size meant no need for patter

It certainly wasn't his "dynamic" personality was it?

Golf is a total no no to mention to women if you're hoping to spark something off. I wonder what the female equivalent is? shopping, shoes, handbags?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

I used to be heavily into sport when I was younger, now it's just golf and 6a side footy during the winter for fitness. Used to play a lot of rugby, cricket and was quite an accomplished athlete as well.

I tend to get very crotchety if I don't get a game of golf at the weekend now Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

Never did me any harm when I was a young single golf pro.
My pal was a lawyer sometimes when we went to student union 'hops' we would be a bricklayer and a joiner, that worked pretty well as well.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

Good thread Mac.

For me, although I play it less than I did as a 17-18 year old (when I used to play all the hours I could), I enjoy it more. It's a major part of my life in that it's now the only real sport I play due to age/injury. Not meaning to harp on but the last three years have been the sh*ttyest (is that a word?) I've ever experienced and golf is a welcome release just now. Try to get at least one game in every two weeks as a minimum and not bothered if it's as a singleton (love the time to think/enjoy the space and quiet) or if it's hitting practice balls as I've always been a bit addicted to the feeling of hitting it perfect. Don't do that enough but the fact it happens sometimes makes me want more.

I don't really enjoy watching it, except for the Majors, particularly the Masters and Open. Don't have Sky so don't watch much else but when I do, don't find it that interesting. I really like the golf geek side of things. Interested in kit, courses (although not on a Mac-Doak scale!) and the history of the game/great players. I guess I love playing golf but am less bothered in the Pro game although I have my favourites/pet hates.

Outside of golf, I always used to be pretty good at any 'racket' sport (read anything where you hit a ball/puck/shuttlecock etc with some sort of racket/club/stick/etc. Was a good swimmer but it's sooooooo boring; love the sea when on holiday but can't face swimming as exercise. Enjoyed them all but never focused on one as I perhaps should have done; golf is the one that's lasted.

I really like football (was never quick enough to be good at playing it!) and I love watching it, especially at the top level. Capable of some real 'Wow!' moments. The one thing that I hate about it is the players, many of whom think nothing of faking injury, cheating etc etc and the administration of the sport at the elevated levels - spineless good-for-nothings. Great game; shame about the participants and administrators! Yes, I know I'm tarring one-and-all with the same brush which isn't fair.

Big rugby fan. Used to play and love the game and the ethos around it. Not big (or quick) enough to be very good. Old man used to play for Bristol. Actually going off it somewhat due to migration to Sky (and Stuart Barnes' presence there!) and the increase in the 'crash and bash' type of modern player. Too many don't know how to pass, side-step, play using their own knowledge. Fear the game is going too much for a NFL 'playbook' style where everything is a set move. Hope not. Looking forward to the RWC. Come on England!

Used to like F1. Hate it now. Great technology, shame about the racing. Procession after procession after procession where (almost) all the overtaking is a pit race. Where is that 'yawn' emoticon when you need it? Much prefer the bikes or touring cars. This season's F1 does seem to be a bit better but that's not saying a great deal.

As someone else said, if it doesn't have horses in it, I'll watch and enjoy most sports. Much to the wife's irritation!

Outside of sport? Big rock music fan, love food and enjoy cooking when I get the time, love beer, wine and spirits although I'm not an alcoholic....honest.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Never did me any harm when I was a young single golf pro.
My pal was a lawyer sometimes when we went to student union 'hops' we would be a bricklayer and a joiner, that worked pretty well as well.

Doon, I think adding the word "pro" to any sport would make the gash of many a shallow woman froth. (sorry Mac)

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

On the subject of F1, anyone see the programme below (iPlayer link) on the Beeb? Pretty incredible. A magnesium-bodied F1 car anyone? Duh! I remember some of those years (early 70s) but didn't appreciate just how dangerous it was. Incredible bunch of drivers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z8v18/Grand_Prix_The_Killer_Years/
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

super_realist wrote:Doon, I think adding the word "pro" to any sport would make the gash of many a shallow woman froth.

Did you have to?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

super_realist wrote:
Maverick wrote:

It certainly wasn't his "dynamic" personality was it?

Golf is a total no no to mention to women if you're hoping to spark something off. I wonder what the female equivalent is? shopping, shoes, handbags?

Well lets face it, pro golfers are generally a pretty ugly bunch of blokes yet they seem to do OK on the wife front, more so the yanks than anyone else really. Very attractive wallets I guess. Even Monty has pulled a few decent lookers and he is one of the ugliest blokes Ive ever seen.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

super_realist wrote:
Doon the Water wrote:Never did me any harm when I was a young single golf pro.

Doon, I think adding the word "pro" to any sport would make the gash of many a shallow woman froth.

What is this word gash? Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

drive4show wrote:What is this word gash? Whistle

Isn't that another name for a bad cut? angel
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

Navy

I watched that show and it seemed like such a terrible time. It is a shame it took so many deaths for the organisers to realise people dying in sport is not what the fans want to or more importantly it is just not acceptable.

I also love cooking and seem to go through stages of obsessions with different food types. The Michelin star style foam, puree and neat little stack stage was expensive, time consuming and not great for the washing up. Currently in an Italian stage and would love to build my own wood fired pizza oven.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Maybe drifting off topic a little but as others have mentioned what else is important in their life apart from golf (and other sports), I too am passionate about music in a variety of forms

Coming from a musical family I was a distinctly average guitarist when I was younger and still keep a guitar around the house, though purely for my own entertainment. These days I confine myself to listening to music rather than playing it though some of you will remember that I used to do a stint as a DJ on an internet radio station. Taking a break from that at the moment though.

Mostly interested in classic and progressive rock though I'll listen to most things (apart from C+W and rap/hip-hop). Also have a fondness for some classical music though mostly the "popular" classics - my daughter is studying music at University where she specialises as a soporano so the love of music is obviously passed on!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

This thread appears to be very cathartic!

My problem in life has been that, at times, I've spread myself too thin. For example, playing cricket straight after golf and then going on the lash. I never felt like I'd had a break on a weekend.

In recent years, I've realised I can only have time for one passion. That is golf and I play it to be better at it, not for social reasons (but the social aspect does come with it).

Everything else, I do at my own pace when and where I want. This will slightly change at the end of this month, when I start devoting a lot more time at the gym but, even then, that's to improve my golf game.

And I've got a great, understanding wife - well, that is why she's my wife!

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

Must admit I do love watching golf, yes I have sky and I am addicted to the live golf from Thursday to Sunday, its ideal its on about 8pm as the wife can enjoy her soaps, in the lounge, and from my den, I can enjoy the fairways of America

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:On the subject of F1, anyone see the programme below (iPlayer link) on the Beeb? Pretty incredible. A magnesium-bodied F1 car anyone? Duh! I remember some of those years (early 70s) but didn't appreciate just how dangerous it was. Incredible bunch of drivers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z8v18/Grand_Prix_The_Killer_Years/

I watched that Navy and the thing that struck me the most was the complete lack of consideration for the drivers lives. It appeared that if it had not been for the efforts of people like Jackie Stewart then the death toll would have continued unrelented.

Obviously no Health and Safety regulations about in those days the like of which we have to deal with now!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

I watched that show and it seemed like such a terrible time. It is a shame it took so many deaths for the organisers to realise people dying in sport is not what the fans want to or more importantly it is just not acceptable.
Yeah. Quite amazing to think it was just accepted as part of the way things were then. Looking at it through 21st Century 'elf and safety' glasses is pretty incredible.

McLaren wrote:I also love cooking and seem to go through stages of obsessions with different food types. The Michelin star style foam, puree and neat little stack stage was expensive, time consuming and not great for the washing up. Currently in an Italian stage and would love to build my own wood fired pizza oven.
Love Italian. Generally simple ideas but great combinations etc that work using top ingredients. Often washed down with plenty of nice regional plonk in our house! No wonder I need to lose a bit of weight......!

Davie wrote:...Mostly interested in classic and progressive rock though I'll listen to most things (apart from C+W and rap/hip-hop). Also have a fondness for some classical music though mostly the "popular" classics...
Good man! I like some of the more modern rock but tend to gravitate back to my roots quite often and the more 'classic' styles. That said, currently have some Disturbed coming out of the laptop speakers. Classical music is great and it's fun to spot how many bits of modern music have ripped melodies etc from classical pieces. Just recently been appreciating a lot of jazz musicians (Oscar Petersen's autobiography is a good read if you can find it) and some of the old soul and (proper) R&B. Would love to go back to playing the guitar again after years away but haven't the patience to go through the learning again. Lazy I know.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:37 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:I watched that Navy and the thing that struck me the most was the complete lack of consideration for the drivers lives. It appeared that if it had not been for the efforts of people like Jackie Stewart then the death toll would have continued unrelented.

Obviously no Health and Safety regulations about in those days the like of which we have to deal with now!

'elf and safety is a drag when it's OTT but it definitely has its place. That programme was incredible. The idea that the manufacturers would test out their latest innovations live, in a race, is amazing but was obviously 'how it was done' then. "Oh. The new suspension broke. 180mph? Guess we better make it stronger next time. Do we have any other drivers? Yes? That's fine then. Carry on". The fuel tanks were obviously a nightmare given the number of brew ups that happened; horrible way to go.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:37 pm

oldparwin wrote:Must admit I do love watching golf, yes I have sky and I am addicted to the live golf from Thursday to Sunday, its ideal its on about 8pm as the wife can enjoy her soaps, in the lounge, and from my den, I can enjoy the fairways of America

I love it watching it, too, and every so often I think about how we in Europe are probably more knowledgeable about the PGA Tour than most Americans simply because of the times it is on.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:38 pm

Although there is a complete music section here on the forum maybe we should have an off-topic music corner here just for us golfers! Love Oscar Petersen.

It's quite odd that although I'm a (failed) guitarist myself, some of my biggest musical heros are pianists/keyboard players - particularly the magnifient Keith Emerson!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

I also love cooking and seem to go through stages of obsessions with different food types. The Michelin star style foam, puree and neat little stack stage was expensive, time consuming and not great for the washing up. Currently in an Italian stage and would love to build my own wood fired pizza oven.

I like cooking and used to be a chef but there is such a media fuelled pomposity about the whole thing that I can't be bothered doing it anymore, in fact one of it's premier exponents of smugness and biggest gits is Heston Blumenthal, a man who can only be beaten on stupid names by Boutros Boutros Ghali and who is so smug and self satisfied that I'd never tire of punching his fat bespectacled face.
c word

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next