The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Insurance

+4
navyblueshorts
Bob_the_Job
Maverick
super_realist
8 posters

Go down

Golf Insurance Empty Golf Insurance

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

Just wondering if any of the class have it. Totted up how much my stuff is worth and the difficulty of replacing some of the rarer more bespoke gear and how I couldn't afford to replace it if some toe-rag nicked it.
Does anybody have any recommendations or experience of claiming on it in the event of being robbed by thieving chav scum?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Golf Insurance Empty Re: Golf Insurance

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

Answer is yes, I have golf specific insurance and it came in mightily handy around this time last year when a thieving bunch of chav scum, liberated my gear from my car boot after smashing it up.

They paid out within a week and I had new shiny gear within 10 days. It also comes in handy if you get hit or have to take time off due to it. So look into the best ones out their an invest

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

Yes - as I posted somewhere else, I pay £17pa and this covers loss or theft of equipment (I'm sure there is an upper limit but it's more than needed to replace my gear), injury claims (I think for being hit or hitting someone.. with a ball that is) and your bar bill, limited to £300 for a hole in one.

It's done through the ladies section in my club and they make a small profit for charity.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

Yep. Have it specifically under house contents insurance.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:13 pm

Dont have it, although I have also stopped bothering with holiday and contents insurance. So maybe I am not the right person to ask?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

Tut tut Mac, I saw someone who dislocated a hip and broke a leg on a kiddies blue run ( he was one of those annoying tourists who thought he was an expert because he'd been on a few holidays), had no insurance and it cost him about 40k including the cost of a helicopter uplift and a week in hospital. Hilarious.

It's dirt cheap for holiday insurance so hardly worth NOT getting.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

Its the same with any insurance and as for not having contents insurance, when your robbed of all your possessions and have to forkout of your pocket for the priviledge of replacing everything some chav has robbed to fund his/her habbit you will see the relevance of having it.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Yes I have it. My main reason is for when I take the clubs on flights... I've seen the way the baggage handlers throw gear around, and Ryanair wouldn't help you if anything got broken would they?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:50 pm

Mav i have been burgled twice, luckily I had contents insurance at the time. All they got though was some cd's, dvd'd and playstation games.

I really have nothing worth knicking. My laptop and clubs are the only things of value.

As for Holiday insurance I do get it when I do outside the EU, although something tells me that makes no difference and I should also get it in the eu??
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

Mac, there's only a reciprocal agreement between the UK and Europe if you have insurance, remember they don't have "national" health services. Most of the time you pay and then recoup it later.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

Yes I have it. My main reason is for when I take the clubs on flights... I've seen the way the baggage handlers throw gear around, and Ryanair wouldn't help you if anything got broken would they?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

It could work out cheaper to specify them under your household contents insurance for 'all risks' cover (covers items outside of the home) than a specific golf insurance product.

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

The other issue is that, in our increasingly litigious society, the chances of being sued mean that insurance is now advisible.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

Y I Man wrote:It could work out cheaper to specify them under your household contents insurance for 'all risks' cover (covers items outside of the home) than a specific golf insurance product.

This is true but can contents cover you for all the other things that can arise, mine for 22quid, covers loss/theft, accidental damage, injury, loss of earnings through injury, hole in one bar bill upto £350, and even includes golf subs if you are unable to play through injury for upto 2 years

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:01 pm

That's a cracking policy with the loss of earnings cover and covering subs due to injury, Mav

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:54 pm

Exactly Y I so for 22 quid i couldn;t say no to it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

raycastleunited wrote:The other issue is that, in our increasingly litigious society, the chances of being sued mean that insurance is now advisible.

Played for 50 years with no insurance, but have had it for the last 3 years. One of the main reasons being this.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 02 Sep 2011, 7:36 am

Golf insurance is a good idea, especially to cover yourself in the event that you hit someone, or damage property with your ball.

Be aware that the golf insurance companies usually put very specific restrictions on policies about clubs being stolen or lost though. For example, clubs stolen from the boot of your car may not be covered if the car wasn't at the golf club or your house. So for example, if your car is broken into at work and your clubs are stolen, you may not be covered. Also the car may need to be locked in a locked garage to be covered. Clubs lost or damaged on flights won't be covered unless you pay the extra amount that most companies levy if you want to travel abroad. So, READ THE SMALL PRINT.

One more thing that I found out last year is that if you have a clause which covers you for income lost after an injury suffered on the golf course, the insurance company will attempt (very aggressively) to recover their losses. So for example if you slip over on the course, injure yourself and claim that you can't work for a month, the insurance company will attempt to sue the club to recover their losses, and more. This will inevitably affect your relationship with the golf club. It's an unfortunate turn of events that most people don't realise. Insurance claims are not victimless as many people think.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:37 am

Maverick wrote:
Y I Man wrote:It could work out cheaper to specify them under your household contents insurance for 'all risks' cover (covers items outside of the home) than a specific golf insurance product.

This is true but can contents cover you for all the other things that can arise, mine for 22quid, covers loss/theft, accidental damage, injury, loss of earnings through injury, hole in one bar bill upto £350, and even includes golf subs if you are unable to play through injury for upto 2 years

That's pretty good. Mine also covers the cost of hiring gear if the airline lose your clubs. Has happened to my mate two years in a row... my clubs turned up on the carousel and his didn't. They turned up 2 days later but that's not much help on a 3 day golf break.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down