The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gareth Maul, Scarlets Vice Captain - How will that work?

+3
ScarletSpiderman
mckay1402
Seagultaf
7 posters

Go down

Gareth Maul, Scarlets Vice Captain - How will that work? Empty Gareth Maul, Scarlets Vice Captain - How will that work?

Post by Seagultaf Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:02 pm

Scarlets have appointed Mathew Rees as Captain and Gareth Maul as Vice Captain - both currently injured. Iestyn Thomas will deputise as Captain until Maul is fit.

Are the Scarlets supporters suprised by this call? With Smiler out with a long term injury it is going to fall upon Gareth Maul to lead the side for the next 3 months. Surely Jon Davis and Scott Williams will be first choice centres this season, with Lamont and possibly North candidates also. Will Maul get his place in the first choice 15. If not how is he going to lead the side on the pitch?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Gareth Maul, Scarlets Vice Captain - How will that work? Empty Re: Gareth Maul, Scarlets Vice Captain - How will that work?

Post by mckay1402 Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Well he's got the shirt for at least a couple of months and he'll play a big part in the season so I can't see a problem with it. He's a good player and an example for the younger players to follow. Haven't got much bad to say about Nigels decision making so far
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Gareth Maul, Scarlets Vice Captain - How will that work? Empty Re: Gareth Maul, Scarlets Vice Captain - How will that work?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 pm

The decision seems to make good sence to me. Maule's competition for the centre berth are all involved in the RWC, and most likely to be involved in the 6Ns. So when Smiler is not there, Maule will be there. Also I must be honest, I think Maule was our best player last season, and I would not be too suprised to see him getting played ahead of Williams, or on the wing (if Williams does start).

(P.S. there is an 'e' on the end of his name)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Sorry. But whenever I see his name I think of this.

He must be sick of it by now. Very Happy

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000042/

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 pm

maule will play more games for the scarlets then davies/ williams with the test match call ups.

Good guy and a solid player who has done well for the turks.
But for me your skipper should always be a forward. I'd have given the armband to turnbull or iestyn thomas

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:45 am

Will Williams actually be first choice at the Region? We have seen it time and time again where Regions and Gatland not see eye to eye on who is best player.

Maule looked very good when seen him last season and was surprised that Williams got the nod ahead of him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:53 am

Williams is a bit more creative than Maule I think. I can see Williams playing 13 with Maule on the wing. Very excited about our backline this season
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 pm

For me both Captain and Vice Captain must be first choice in their position, they can't provide on field leadership in the big games from the stand! If Smiler is not fit for the Heineken games in December how will you fit your VC into the side?

If Maule get picked ahaed of Davies or Williams then fair play, but from what I have seen that is unlikely.

If Maule is to get one of the wing berths for the big games will he get chosen ahead of Lamont or North?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:57 pm

RE: Scarlets backline, who's 10 and who's 15? What's the prospects in those positions coming through like? Dan Evans still around?

The team looks good on paper but I don't think they've made enough signings which would help them on the European front. Getting completely overpowered by Ospreys, Leicester and Perpignan springs to mind.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down