The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will win the AP?

+2
bathmad
DaveM
6 posters

Go down

Who will win the AP? Empty Who will win the AP?

Post by DaveM Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm

Basically I don't know I reckon it will be tight. Maybe:

Saints: Good squad depth added and desperate to win something
Tigers: Also well motivated, and some smart signings
Sarries: Won't be far away, but need to adjust successfully to a more open style.
Bath: Big step forward with the squad. Most improved side.
Gloucester: Brilliant backs, lacking depth up front.
Quins: Good, and could manage top 4 but suspect they are just short in the forwards and backs.
LI: May do better, but a hint of slipping backwards.
Sale: At best could manage top 6, but lots of players to gell.
Wasps: Another who could possibly go better. Like Sale it looks like their decline may be over with new coach and players.
Exeter: And another who could actually go better than this.
Newcastle: I think they've done ok in the transfer market, and their home form may keep them up.
Worcester: At best could do a Exeter, but I think they are short.

For me the top 3 are definitely the best sides, and could be joined by Bath. 5 - 10 I don't think there is a masive difference in quality. RElagation is a two horse race for me.

And who will win the play-offs? Just too early to say. Sarries aren't easy to beat, but can they play more expansively and retain that?

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Who will win the AP? Empty Re: Who will win the AP?

Post by bathmad Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

Agree with your top 4, although I hope Bath can get a home semi!

If Burns can get the Glaws backline moving again, they'll be a threat. All the other teams seem to lack depth in squads.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 04 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

It's to early to guess at this stage. Injuries, call ups and form are so hard to call at the minute with shock wins for Wasps and Chiefs already. Think a couple more games might need to happen before decent bets are placed.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:04 am

Anyone in the top 4 could win. Sadly I have this feeling that these matches during the WC will leave the Tigers too far behind and they will struggle to even make a Top 6 place.

My money is on Sarries beating Bath at Old Trafford to become double champions.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:01 am

Sarries will have to find an attacking game this season, as they will have been worked out to a certain extent. Still, I saw Brad Barritt step rather than take contact (only the once though), so maybe it will happen.

Quite seriously I think Sarries have to consider whether Goode joining the line is a good thing, or simply an excuse for 10 and 12 to do nothing creative.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

I saw Brad Barritt step rather than take contact (only the once though), so maybe it will happen.

Well he actually started recieving the ball when Hodgson came on, normally Farrell only passes when there isn't enough time for him to kick leaving Barritt without a lot of options other than the trundle into the on rushing defence.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

I honestly think its a 2 horse race. Leicester & Saracens. Think Leicester might pip them this year though.

I also think Saracens may qualify from their Pool in the HC and I have a sneaky suspicion that Leicester don't qualify (but only because they drew Clermont in their pool). That Qtr final playoff may turn out to be the turning point of the season in deciding who wins the AP. My money is on the side who didnt make the qtr's out of those 2 teams.

Maybe Northampton and Bath have outside chances but if you had to bet your house on it I dont think anyone would look outside Leicester or Saracens.

And please dont look at this as a WUM for Leicester fans. I would have said the same about any side getting drawn in Clermonts pool this season (who on paper look to have the best team in the competition).

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

I tend to agree. Leicester are seriously denuded of key players during the WC and the post WC rest period, which includes some tough pool matches. Tigers will be lucky to get out of their group.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

Depends on the injury situation and how far the nations who have called up our players get. If Argentina, Italy and Samoa go out at the group stages then we get back Ayerza, Castro, A Tuilagi and Agulla comfortabley in advance of the HEC group stages. That would be a major boost to the side as that's some serious firepower to our front row and last years top scorer.

Ireland seem ill at ease in their playing style and so could make a quarter final exit meaning we'd get Geordie back quickly and hopefully in great shape. Then there's the 6 England boys and they could be back at any time what with the highs and lows of England form (normally in the course of the same game). All of the injured players bar Crane and Newby should be back playing by the end of the month at the latest as well so it's not quite as bad as it could be but a lot will depend on whether the crop available at the moment can start playing some good stuff and get some momentum going.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum