The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Career win out of them all?

+12
eddyfightfan
StuDavies
Adam D
Jamson
samevans1
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
88Chris05
Sugar Boy Sweetie
HumanWindmill
The Galveston Giant
kevchadders
16 posters

Go down

Best Career win out of them all? Empty Best Career win out of them all?

Post by kevchadders Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:16 pm

British fighters in the past have had great wins in their careers, but out of the list of retired fighters below, which fighter holds the greatest career win out of them all? To make it more interesting lets make it your top 3?

I have listed a number of fighters with the odd opponent they've faced in brackets to get your noggins thinking…

• Lennox Lewis (Hoylfield/VK)
  • Naseem Hamed (Kelly/Johnson/Vasquez)
  • Ricky Hatton (Tzysu)
  • Joe Calzaghe (Hopkins/Kessler)
  • Eubank (Benn/Watson)
  • Benn (McClennan)
  • Honeyghan (Curry)

I have my top 3 as…

1st Hatton vs Tzysu
2nd Calzaghe vs Hopkins
3rd Lewis vs VK

Tzysu is top due to the fact he was still around top 3 p4p at the time and was considered a strong favourite to win. Calzaghe second due to him moving up and fighting for the first time against the best at LH with Hopkins, who was still in the top 10 4p4 in his own back yard. Third would be Lewis's final win of his career over VK. The fact Lewis had an aye on retirement and was past him prime taking on a young hungry VK, who has dominated the division long with his brother since Lewis left.

As my list tends to focus on more recent fighters feel free to add any other british greats i've left off in your top 3.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Best Career win out of them all? Empty Re: Best Career win out of them all?

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:30 pm

1st - Randolph Turpin v Sugar Ray Robinson

2nd - Lloyd Honeyghan vs Donald Curry

3rd - John H Stracey v Jose Napoles

The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:31 pm

You've picked some crackers from the modern era, kev.

Personally, I'd find a place in the top three of those you mention for Honey's win over Curry, but that's just my opinion.

Other notables from the modern era would be McGuigan over Pedroza, Stracey over Napoles and Buchanan over Laguna,. There are some fine ones from days gone by, also, such as Turpin v Robinson, Berg v Canzoneri, Moran v Nelson, and my pick as the best of the lot, Cardiff's Jim Driscoll's victory over the seemingly unbeatable Abe Attel in his own backyard in America.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:32 pm

I'm gonna have to disagree with your list. Here's mine from the fights you've suggested:

1. Honeyghan v Curry
2. Eubank v Benn
3. Hatton v Tszyu

Tszyu was a part time fighter and past his best by the time hatton beat him. Not knocking hattons win, I just don't think in the circumstances it's the best of this bunch. Likewise calzaghe beating Hopkins was a) debatable, and b) indicative of the 'too little too late' cloud that hangs over joes legacy. Although he's had some decent performances since, let's not firget Hopkins was 43 and still took it to a SD (which he could easily have been given). Curry was a genuine p4per when honey beat him, it was a monstrous upset and the performance of his life. Likewise Benn was in his prime and a feared MW when Eubank stopped him in 9. Great performance, backing up his 'boxer beats the puncher' big talk. Ricky sneaks 3rd, although I think Lewis should get credit for beating Vitali given Vitalis subsequent dominance of the division. Lewis was passed his best by then, but I can't find room for it because the nature of the win isn't quite as decisive (even though it was a clear Lewis right hand that made the cut at the start of rd3).

Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:40 pm

Nice article, Kev. I actually posted a similar one on the old 606, but mine focused on the best 'away' victories achieved by a British fighter. I'll post that list anyway...

1. Ted 'Kid' Lewis beats Jack Britton, PTS 15, 1915
2. Freddie Welsh beats Benny Leonard, Newspaper Decision 10, 1916
3. Lloyd Honeyghan beats Donald Curry, TKO 6, 1986
4. Ken Buchanan beats Ismael Laguna, PTS 15, 1970
5. Lennox Lewis beats Evander Holyfield, PTS 12, 1999
6. Jack 'Kid' Berg beats Tony Canzoneri, PTS 10, 1930
7. Jack 'Kid' Berg beats Kid Chocolate, PTS 10, 1930
8. Freddie Welsh beats Abe Attell, Newspaper Decision 15, 1908
9. Jim Driscoll beats Abe Attell, Newspaper Decision 10, 1909
10. Owen Moran beats Battling Nelson, KO 10, 1910

One notable one I missed out was John H. Stracey beating Jose Napoles in Mexico City in 1975.

Of the ones you've listed, I'd have to say that Honeyghan's win over Curry was the best of the lot; it was Honeyghan's first ever world title bout, he was facing the pound for pound number one and he was away from home.

If we add in Turpin's win over Robinson, as well as combining the others we have both listed, I think we have most of the great wins for Brits covered.

Moran-Wolgast, Minter-Antuofermo, Hamed-Kelley, Haye-Mormeck / Valuev, Calzaghe-Hopkins and Andries-Harding might be worth a shout, too. Nice article.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Feb 2011, 1:04 pm

Some good choices Kev for Naz would probably throw the Belcastro fight into the mix. Belcastro was a well seasoned and respected Euro champion and Naz was a kid of something like 11 fights. A lot of respected judges felt this was too much too soon for Hamed and he beat Belcastro in a canter knocking him down in the first and pretty much beating him as he pleased.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Feb 2011, 2:29 pm

Suppose the only reason to possibly omit Turpin is that most view SRR's expoits at WW to exceed anything he did at MW (however impressive they may have been).

Have to say that had Turpin beaten him at WW then they could really be little doubt as to the best ever career win by a British fighter.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Feb 2011, 2:40 pm

Lewis lucked out against Vitali so I don't know why that's there. Beat a past it Holy too.............

Thought Ruddock was his best win..........

Turpin-Robbo by a mile...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Lewis lucked out against Vitali so I don't know why that's there. Beat a past it Holy too.............

Lewis lucked out by punching his opponent in the eye and causing a cut that would prevent him from seeing the fight out? Some might say that's part of the object of the sport Truss. And Lewis was making inroads in that fight after a slow start. He was tired but vitali was tiring too, and Lewis was doing the cleaner work in the last two rounds. Legit win.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 24 Feb 2011, 7:15 am

Lewis had an excellent win against Vitali; due to what happened in the years after that fight. Plus the fact Lewis was clearly on the slide by that time.

Holyfield was coming after a beatdown of Moorer in 1999. He was at worst the second best heavy in the world and a unified champion. Again, a very legitimate and impressive victory.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Thu 24 Feb 2011, 7:51 am

Hatton vs Tzsyu wouldnt make a top 10 of British wins.

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Thu 24 Feb 2011, 7:53 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Lewis lucked out against Vitali so I don't know why that's there. Beat a past it Holy too.............

Lucked out by beating him so hard for the final 2 rounds of the shortened fight that Vitali's eye was about to fall out the front of his face?

Buchanan's win in the heat against Laguna is really staggeringly good.

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 24 Feb 2011, 8:10 am

kevchadders wrote:

2nd Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Calzaghe second due to him moving up and fighting for the first time against the best at LH with Hopkins, who was still in the top 10 4p4 in his own back yard.

It was a brave move - was it his best performance? Not even close in my book - the only thing that can be said is that he won against Hopkins but only just.

If we are talking about performance, then the three that stand out are the Lacy, Kessler and possibly RJJ fights where he won with ease against three good if not great fighters (although Lacy was later proved to be average and RJJ at the tale end of his career).

So for me, Kessler was the career defining fight.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Thu 24 Feb 2011, 8:14 am

Eubank gave Calzaghe are far harder nights work that any of the 3 mentioned above.

Hopkins was difficult but mainly due to Berhards spoiling rather than his punching. Though he did catch Joe with some nice straight right hands.. staright out of the philly text book on fighting southpaws.

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:06 pm

Hobo wrote:
kevchadders wrote:

2nd Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Calzaghe second due to him moving up and fighting for the first time against the best at LH with Hopkins, who was still in the top 10 4p4 in his own back yard.

It was a brave move - was it his best performance? Not even close in my book - the only thing that can be said is that he won against Hopkins but only just.

If we are talking about performance, then the three that stand out are the Lacy, Kessler and possibly RJJ fights where he won with ease against three good if not great fighters (although Lacy was later proved to be average and RJJ at the tale end of his career).

So for me, Kessler was the career defining fight.

Certainly agree it was not his best performance, as I would have Lacy being his best, and I wouldn't have any complaints with people having Kessler as Calzaghe's best win, it was a close decision between Kessler/Hopkins for me. But as good as Kessler was IMO I believe Hopkins it the best fighter Calzaghe has been put against in his career, in top of that Kessler was fought with home advantage unlike Hopkins which also leant me towards picking that one as his best.

Looking at some of the good comments on here on what they would have as their top 3 it does make me question my pick of Hatton/Tzysu at no1. I'll admit getting caught up in the moment when they fought where I was screaming at the TV for the whole 11 rounds means there is a fair amount of favouritism there for my pick.

Where some career get better with age I feel Hatton career will go the other way as time passes by so i'm sure when i revalute at a later date that will be the one which would slip down.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by StuDavies Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:15 pm

Top 3 best career wins for me would be -

Benn v Mclellan

Calzaghe v Kessler

Bruno v Mcall

Benn even though champ was a massive underdog for this fight, a fact highlighted by being knocked out of the ring in the first round, but he cam back and showed great strength and heart. Shame it ended the way it did.

Kessler was a great fight for Calzaghe, after the dominating performance against Lacy, Joe needed a repeat performance. first half of the fight didn't quite go to plan but then Joe flipped the switch and turned on the style for a great win.

Bruno for pure sentimental reasons, was great to see him achieve a boyhood dream that he worked so hard for (another 2 rounds and the result may have been different)

StuDavies

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 25 Feb 2011, 11:56 am

ali v foreman (all time classic)
calzage vs lacy (one of his best performaces)
mayweather v hopkins (all outwar)

just of the top of my head.... would have said amir khan fights but i dont think the level of oppenant has been high enough at the moment

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 25 Feb 2011, 1:43 pm

What about Benn-Barkley? Barkley the destroyer of Hearns (and still not IBHOF btw) blown away in a round?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:20 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:ali v foreman (all time classic)
calzage vs lacy (one of his best performaces)
mayweather v hopkins (all outwar)

just of the top of my head.... would have said amir khan fights but i dont think the level of oppenant has been high enough at the moment

Errr... neither Ali nor foreman are British, and mayweather has never fought Hopkins.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:39 pm

oxring wrote:What about Benn-Barkley? Barkley the destroyer of Hearns (and still not IBHOF btw) blown away in a round?

Hadn't Barkley lost his previous two bouts and not won in years though?

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:40 pm

Hearns hasn't been eligible for the IBHOF until this month so will be a certain first ballot member next year

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:42 pm

oxring wrote:What about Benn-Barkley? Barkley the destroyer of Hearns (and still not IBHOF btw) blown away in a round?

Its a very good win but Nigel got him cold .His win over McClellan was a finer performance it just had such tragic consequences
Might be argued Barkley got lucky with Hearns as well.Not Tommy at his best and Barkley was all wrong for him
Very dangerous guy Barkley though bit like Benn in many ways

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:50 pm

Barkley certainley was past his best when he fought Nigel, but it was a great win and even more so in the fashion he won.

Didn't know hearns will know be eligible next year Ghosty but as you say his name will be first on the list.

The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:56 pm

Would be great to see Tommy in the HOF
My favourite fighter of the era

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down