The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small Ways I Would Change Wrestling.

+5
pauline1981
Kay Fabe
crippledtart
Shot 21 LCFC
The_Enigma
9 posters

Go down

Small Ways I Would Change Wrestling. Empty Small Ways I Would Change Wrestling.

Post by The_Enigma Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

8 small ways I would want changing in the current state of WWE.

1. Characters/personality
How many talents do we have today who have 0 Personality? Fans can't relate to them and they can't get the corret cheers or heat they are supost to receive. Look at guys who were in the Attitude Era everybody there from the top guys right down to the jobbers had something. Each character was unique in their own way. I honestly think that's why some of today's performers stuggle to get over. There's no personality. Think the writers should start coming up with something for new guys who are set to debut to set them apart from the rest of the roster.

2. Bring Back Sunday Night Heat
There is a lot of rubbish on these days. I mean take a look at NXT this season how poor has that been (Since season 2 really) I feel that maybe they should scrap this and bring back Sunday Night Heat. Or could just have the one episode a month to promote the PPV for that month. Show it an Hour before for free (If it's on sky box office) And while it's on show the dark match there and even through in one more and then for the rest of the show Hype The PPV, Fans who might be watching this might be tempted in buying the PPV if they see the right hype and build-up for it.

3. Storylines
Some of the storylines we've had the last couple of years have been extreamly poor. And when they don't work out they're just swept under the rug and never heard of again. The Nexus ending, The Raw GM, Vince's Limo to just name a few. I mean they are treating the fans like idiots really, also another thing that bugged me was how they refer Christian as Edge's bestfriend instead of his brother now. Again why do this? They need to think of storylines and stick to what they're trying to say. They also need to bring the storylines down to the mid-cards so there's something worth seeing. If you look at any PPV in the 90's doesn't matter if its WCW or WWE the midcards always had a story to tell something they were feuding about and it didn't have to be a bout championship gold.

4. Interviews/Video Footage
Again this can be tied into the storylines. But I think hyping a match or a fued can be done a lot more effectivly if there was some build up to show what is going on. Show a clip about what happened 1 week ago, 2 weeks ago so there's a reason. I also think they should do more interviews to build up the match. Like have one guy interview before the match or have it where one guy is already in the ring. Just more build-up, this could help lower card fueds.

5. Tag Teams
WOW, how bad has the tag team division been the last couple of years? You've got so many guys that have nothing to do on the roster at the minute doing nothing, so why not do something about it. It's not the same just throwing the random guys together, But it can work (New Age Outlaws, APA) they need to bring back guys who have team names, Guys who ware the same attire so you can tell they are tag teams. They could also debut new guys as part of a team, You'll find people dont question new guys being a tag team more than two midcarders thrown randonly togther. If WWE seem intresting in bringing the tag division back, it's gonna take more than "Air Boom".

6. Divas
Give the divas more ring time. I don't know about you, but Goldust working with them has really improved the division. Kelly Kelly looks a lot more comfatble in the ring these days and they're are starting to put better quailty matches. They also need to bring in more storylines for the Divas's again so the fans can relate. Also at the minutes its more possible for the divas to have a little tag divison, there's more teams there at the minute. (Kelly Kelly/Eve, Natalya/Beth, Bella Twins, Fox Sisters)

7. #1 Contender Matches.
Building up the titles. Having matches like these can set up storylines from the base here. Having guys fighting to be the number 1 contender is a great reason for a title match, And adds background and history to the match. They need to do this for all titles really.

8. Backstage Segments
I'm not talking the way TNA do it. But having backstage segements was something I used to like seeing. Again this can add to storylines. This could be confrontations or finding somebody down in the back, Just adds and builds to the angles really.

Last edited by The_Enigma on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Small Ways I Would Change Wrestling. Empty Re: Small Ways I Would Change Wrestling.

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

Good article with some good points. Who are the Fox sisters though? I only know of Alicia.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Small Ways I Would Change Wrestling. Empty Re: Small Ways I Would Change Wrestling.

Post by crippledtart Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

I agree with almost everything you've said.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Good article with some good points. Who are the Fox sisters though? I only know of Alicia.

I think her sister was on NXT

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

I can't really argue with any of your points, I think some of your list are obvious, I bet most do, you have to ask yourself though, if the changes are so easy and obvious, why haven't the professionals saw that?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:56 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I can't really argue with any of your points, I think some of your list are obvious, I bet most do, you have to ask yourself though, if the changes are so easy and obvious, why haven't the professionals saw that?

I guess it comes down to interpretation. Obviously every single wrestling fan on the entire planet would prefer to see good storylines than bad storylines. However, one person's good storyline is another person's bad storyline.

Of all the bad storylines you listed, I'm sure WWE's intention at the time wasn't to deliberately do them badly!

But from a philosophical perspective, there definitely wasn't anything in the article that I disagreed with.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:06 pm

ban the women

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

Why pauline? Give your reasons

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

lack of talent

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

Good blog with some good points

I agree with sunday night heat (maybe on Channel 5 Smile I also do like watching it before the ppv starts.

2010 fustrated me and i believe we were taken like idiots with the nexus storyline and the Raw gm storyline.

Tag team divison needs to be improved with the start of the raw supershow this could be a start. Divas are ok at the moment in my view.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

Tag team matches-
One thing that has always bugged me about tag matches is that they are all basically the same. Heel team beats on guy from face team following cheap shot, face guy finally makes long awaited tag after OTT wait for the tag, other face guy comes into the ring all fired up, and picks up the win.

Heel/face styles-
Another thing that has always annoyed me is how being a face seems to give wrestlers some sort of magical power which heels don't have, i.e.-
Summer '09- Orton can't beat Batista fairly
March '10- Batista can't beat Orton fairly!

BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:34 pm

some good points, clearly explained. It does seem pretty obvious at times but frustratingly there's something stopping the creative team from seeing it - or not being allowed to impliment it!

I think more defined personalities is very important to getting over with the crowd but unfortunately there aren't too many original characters that wrestlers can take on. I think CM Punk being straight edge has probably been the only stand out 'characteristic' in a modern wrestler in the WWE. The rest are pretty generic as you say. Cena has practically lost his rapper gimmick, Orton is still flogging the Apex Predator but other than that...maybe Cody Rhodes (he really is a future prospect).

The lack of respect for history really bugs me tbh. For some reason the WWE seem very reluctant to really carry through a feud from start to finish. They seem to write a chapter at a time and then forget to retrace their steps to show a logical and progressive feud. We're forced to 'forget' about the previous months and just focus on the here and now. It's very patronising.

Sadly WWE don't respect tag team wrestling the way the indies do and its a real shame. If you don't watch anything other than the WWE you'd be forgiven for thinking tag team matches are boring. But some of the most entertaining and exciting matches I've watched in recent years have been tag matches in ROH and TNA. When its done right its a simple yet effect gimmick match (for that's basically what it is). Tag teams are also a great way of breaking in a future star and teaching them the ropes while giving them fan exposure. HBK started as a tag wrestler, HHH benefitted from DX, the Rock was a member of the Nation of Domination. Roode in TNA has benefitted greatly from Beer Money and is now ready to become a serious main eventer. Davey Richards in ROH was (and still is) a member of the American Wolves. These wrestlers all gained their reputations through tag teams or at least associations with other wrestlers who could give them that exposure and mentor them to go on to have successful singles careers. Jericho did a lot with Big Show in 2009 to keep the tag titles relevant but they're practically redundant now.

As far as No1 contenders matches go I think they are important to the credibility of the world title but I also think the traditional route of earning the IC or US title is another way of boosting credibility. Look at Bret Hart or HBK. Both men won the IC title and elevated it to prominence before going on to win the WWE title. This established them as future main eventers and gave them credibility as champions. HBK's ladder match with Razor Ramon at Mania X is still the most fondly remembered match from that card completely eclipsing the WWE title match! You would probably have to look up who was in the main event at that PPV but everyone remembers that inaugral ladder match! MITB though has completely killed the credibility of the world title.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

I disagree that either Shawn Michaels nor Bret Hart elevated the IC Title to prominance, infact I'd say it was the opposite, I'd say being the Intercontinental Champion elevated both Bret and Shawn, especially in 1992

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:54 pm

The problem with the WWE and it's mid card is that they don't seem to want to give any of them that much air time or importance to the company.

In the past like previously mentioned, the Intercontinental Championship matches were the matches that stole the show but now they seem to be filler and on a lot of occasions shoved in the middle of a Smackdown card.

However, it does seem to be improving with both the IC and US titles getting a little air time through the Rhodes/DiBiase feud and Ziggler/Swagger feud. Whether this is the start of something good we'll need to wait and see.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I disagree that either Shawn Michaels nor Bret Hart elevated the IC Title to prominance, infact I'd say it was the opposite, I'd say being the Intercontinental Champion elevated both Bret and Shawn, especially in 1992

Sorry that's what I meant to say. My point was that the IC title used to be relevant hence my example of Mania X! thumbsup

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down