The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - KLM Open & News

+8
SmithersJones
Lairdy
venice1
kwinigolfer
princedracula
Davie
Sand
Maverick
12 posters

Go down

European Tour - KLM Open & News Empty European Tour - KLM Open & News

Post by Maverick Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am

So a quick note to say well done to Thomas Bjorn, on his back to back victories in scotland and Switzerland to make that 3 victories this year, we have had many a pun in his name of being Bjorn again and the Bjorn surpremacy, good to see bad jokes and sport still go hand in hand.

Also in contrast as a side note, we saw Webb Simpson win using the long putter again. Compared to the amount of wins on the US tour this year from memory is something like 8 wins whereas the ET is Long putter 0 wins.

So onto the KLM

1.Defending champion Martin Kaymer saw a return to form last week at Crans and stated he's feeling good coming into this weeks event. Which also see's World Number 2 Lee Westwood and Number 4 Rory McIlroy tee it up in holland, which should see a decent number of OGWR points as a result meaning more than in previous years.

2. KLM have announced that they will be sponsoring the event now until at least 2015 as a result of good feedback from the tour and players alike.

3.This year KLM are aiming to be the greenest (as in save the planet) event on the ET. Green energy is being used for the four-day golfing event, which is being held at the beautiful, wooded Hilversum Golf Club. The electricity supplied is completely generated by wind turbines in the Netherlands.
In addition to the green power supply, numerous other measures have also been taken to make the tournament more sustainable.
The ticket system has been digitalised. Visitors and invitees will have their admission tickets sent to them digitally. The barcode that hangs on each ticket can be scanned from the telephone and therefore does not need to be printed.

4.So what do we know of this events history: Founded in 1912, the tournament was originally known as the Dutch Open, before a variety of sponsors resulted in numerous name changes over the years, with KLM being the current incumbents. The tournament has been moved around the golfing calendar somewhat, but seems to have settled into its current yearly slot of September.

5.Anyone fancying a punt at the bookies on this one, check out Simon Dysons odds for a win/each way finish as he has 2 wins in the last 5 years at this event, though one thing to note on that his wins came on the previous host course of Kennemer Golf & Country Club.

So to other News:

Not much of note really, the Ryder cup points commenced last week, so far to early to say how the standings are looking but one thing of note is watch out for the great dane, don't think he wants a non playing role this year.

So to the other news, really more of a whimper of an event, the Seve trophy kicks off next week the official team announcement's have been made and they look like this

GB&I:
Darren Clarke
Jamie Donaldson
Simon Dyson
Ross Fisher
Mark Foster
David Horsey
Scott Jamieson
Ian Poulter
Robert Rock
Lee Westwood

Continental Europe:
Thomas Björn
Nicolas Colsaerts
Anders Hansen
Peter Hanson
Miguel Angel Jiménez
Pablo Larrazábal
Matteo Manassero
Francesco Molinari
Alexander Noren
Alvaro Quiros

Last edited by Maverick on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Stickied Item - Edited Seve Trophy listing)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

European Tour - KLM Open & News Empty Re: European Tour - KLM Open & News

Post by Sand Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Westwood & Clarke are playing in the Seve Trophy too Mav.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks sand, as I stated at time of writing didn't have all the info to hand.

So thats, Westwood, Clarke, Rock, Foster, Khan.

Possibly Poulter. Likely to include Dyson, possibly Lowry and Horsey

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Maverick wrote:Thanks sand, as I stated at time of writing didn't have all the info to hand.

So thats, Westwood, Clarke, Rock, Foster, Khan.

Possibly Poulter. Likely to include Dyson, possibly Lowry and Horsey

Yup Poulter confirmed he was playing on his twitter. Hope McDowell & Harrington play now after not qualifying for Fed Ex 3rd tournament but cant see it.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:31 am

From europeantour.com ...

The start of the KLM Open was delayed due to vandalism on several of the Hilversumsche Golf Club greens overnight.

Areas on each of the putting surfaces on the fourth, fifth, sixth and ninth holes were dug up overnight leading to a 45 minute delay on Thursday morning as greenkeeping staff went about repairing the damage.

Play will still be possible on the greens with the repaired areas on all the greens being treated as areas of Ground Under Repair under the normal rules of golf.

KLM Championship Director Daan Slooter said: “Early this morning we ascertained damage to four of the greens here at Hilversumsche. At this moment we do not know who caused the damage. All has been restored and the tournament will resume. For this evening and the rest of the tournament we have increased security substantially.

“I’m very disappointed for all the people here at the club who worked so hard over the past few days, through challenging weather conditions, to ensure the course was in playable condition. However, having said that, the same professionalism of the greenkeepers has ensured that the damage has been repaired so the tournament can go ahead. They are all due a huge vote of thanks.”

Glad to see they got underway with only 45 minute delay

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:27 am

Saw this news earlier to Davie, never had the dutch down as the type to vandalise a golf course, but then I suppose they could always try growing hemp greens and someone didnt' want to pay for a fix in their cafes' Whistle

In all seriousness credit to the greenstaff for a quick turnaround be interesting to see what damage was done and how it'll affect the event itself

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:31 am

Last thing they needed after all the rain and flooding they had in the last days, but good to see they somehow got it going... All that should make the scoring conditions tougher, despite being a relatively short (6900 yds@ par 70) course.
This must be the only course on the main tour calendar these days with no holes over 500 yards!? Dyson already with an eagle at the 484 yards par 5 12th hole... Good start by him and a bunch of other English players, but not great start from defending champ Kaymer (he's only the third best placed German in the field at the moment) and from the local favorite Luiten...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:42 am

Yeah good start from Dyson despite a bogey on 15

Is the European scoreboard wrong or is the two tee start from the first and NINTH?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Good to see Colsaerts back at work.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:09 pm

If this start is anything to go by, it's gonna be the opposite of last week in terms of my ET-FT performance. Apart from Symon, many of my picks on the course now are letting me down. But I did pick Gonzo this week for the first time in a looooong time, and he seems to be going along nicely so far (same for Gagli)... Hoping for a better return from the late starters...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Does anyone know what Oliver Wilson's status will be following this season if he stays roiughly (about 140th) where he is on the OoM?
Back to Q-School?
Looks like several players from the Valhalla RC are having trouble with their "status" right now, not only Wilson, but Curtis, Weekley, Casey (PGA Tour), Stenson hanging on by his fingernails, Perry already gone to the Champers Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Indeed Kwini class of 08 struggling in 2011. Wilson had some injuries from what I've heard in and around the tour but seems to have got down on himself as he's still winless.

Rain delay currently, course is struggling to hold up to sheer amount of rain since sunday

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi Mav,

Good read. Certainly many of us on this site could think of several forms of justice for those responsible for nicking the the course. For starters, have them each tied to a separate pole at various distances on the driving range and have the golf club patrons pay a small fee to hit a bucket o' balls at the targets. Wagers could be made on "called shots." i.e. "I think I'll try a 4 iron stinger at the fellow tied to the 200 yard pole #2 for 10 Euros." Proper etiquette could be maintained by yelling, "Fore!" for each shot attempt.

Only 1 Italian on the Continental Europe team: blasphemy!

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Proper etiquette should be maintained by yelling, "Fore!" C'mon Venice! We're not animals. Very Happy

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:34 pm

venice1 wrote:
Only 1 Italian on the Continental Europe team: blasphemy!
List I saw had Franny and Matteo.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:47 pm

At least the guys are back on the course except but unfortunately also those I picked in the fantasy league.

Lairdy,
I stand corrected. Must be bad habits developed from playing "dodge the silent wayward shots" during rounds at the local public courses. Similar to the experience of having drives come over the shoulder from the group impatiently waiting at the tee box while my group is impatiently waiting for the group ahead to clear the green because everyone needs to take 2 or 3 practice swings with the putter before missing the 5 footer for a bogey.

Sorry SJ,
I am illegally blind. Missed Matteo's name on the list.

Mav,
Glad you brought up the "green" factor at the KLM. Many courses in Southern California have been quickly heading that way due to the scarcity of available water and the surging costs of energy to adequately run the joints. It's a good move but isn't as easy as many think as a number of clubs have scorched their courses trying to take logistical and financial shortcuts just to declare they are green to the local municipalities. The head greenskeeper is definitely in the top 2 assets of a successful course around here.

On a forbidden political tangent: it's a good thing many of you missed the U.S. Republican presidential debate last night as anyone who viewed and payed attention would have concluded that "green" is an evil and black oil and coal are the fruits of life according to this lot. Sadly, it looks like I only have a 'spineless' and barely moderate current President to reelect in a years time.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:59 am

Davie wrote:Yeah good start from Dyson despite a bogey on 15

Is the European scoreboard wrong or is the two tee start from the first and NINTH?

Dont think so Davie, they often do that as the 10th is a par 3, so I guess their feeling is it will get backed up if they start from the 10th.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:05 am

This is turning into a bit of a trend lately, we've had weather disruptions in US, JP and now EU seems to follow suite... But no matter what, a disappointing start by the world #2, #3 &#4. Good to see both Colsaerts and Levet back from their lengthy injury breaks and playing good golf, after those unfortunate (and slightly embarrassing) accidents they had a few months ago...

No rain issues in Kazahstan though in what is becoming one of the star tournaments on the ET Challenge Tour, prety hot and dry over there. Great to see Simon Thornton leading midway through the tournament (Rd2 still to be completed), it'll be a great 1st win for him (I think) if he can keep it going into the weekend. But what about Kafelnikov's 77 in the first round, I think it's his first time he's breaking 80 in an official tournament!
I can't remember seing scores over 100 in tornaments at this level, so spare a thought for the local amateur (more of an Armenian name though) Armen Kachatryan who carded an 101 today, propping up the LB at 50-over par!!! Brilliant!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 am

Is there anything wrong with the withdrawn Peter Hanson? Or was he just disappointed with his round so far?
He seems to have been playing reasonably well in big events this year without really making a splash, and suffering on the OoM and rankings as a result.
Would be good to see him enjoying some success again.

The usual crop of NHL hockey players missing from the Borat Open, but a helluva way for Kafelnikov to celebrate his nomination to the World Tennis Hall Of Fame.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Not sure what's wrong with Hanson. He started baddly but he retired after a sequence of one birdie and five pars, so it may be something else involved. Not a great season for him so far, either here or in US...

But it's good to see finally Rors and Lee starting to climb up the leaderboard...
Kaymer has been talking a lot before this about how much he wants to win again, withdrawing from the Seve trophy and hoped he will do it here defending his title. He'll need a super effort from here on to make the cut and get into contention...

Kafelnikov is trying to get even better 2nd round... only 3-over with 3 holes left...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Peter Hanson withdrawn with a stomache complaint, Westwood again great of the tee and fairway but putting again solid not spectacular.

That said just heard commentators discussing the so call Million Dollar putting stroke of Rhys Davies stating he's the best putter on good greens! Maybe they should check out this seasons ET putting stats as they clearly disagree.

King Louis driving ability this week a lot like army golf, left,right,left. Yet seems to be looking to put a score together to try and make the cut

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Maverick wrote:Westwood again great of the tee and fairway but putting again solid not spectacular.

4 under after 10 doesn't sound too shabby

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Davie thing is if he could putt that would be about 7 or 8under through 10

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Maverick wrote:Davie thing is if he could putt that would be about 7 or 8under through 10

Is he really that bad at putting? I dont think so, think the fact that his long game is that good that he hits more greens than most so gives himself a lot more chances than most.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:37 pm

No his putting really is that bad. Yes he putting a good score together today but its clear to see his putting stats don't hold him up well enough. I like westwood but any top player can see his downfall is his putting he simply does not hole out enough from 10feet and under

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Gary Orr Smile

Could be an inspired Fantasy League pick from me!!

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:23 am

Garry Orr certainly looks like a really inspired choice compared to some of mine: Kaymer, Molinari, Hanson, Peter Lawrie, Gonzo... Doh

What's somewhat conforting about this ET Fantasy Team thing is that you can pick 15 players in your team, so there is always a decent chance to have at least a couple of players up there doing reasonably well... And luckily Simon Dyson has become one of the most reliable European players these days and he's giving me something to cheer about again today... Ross Fisher, Gagli, Luiten just made the cut on the number.

Look forward to see what Rory and Lee will have in the bag in round three to challange Simon's lead...

Simon Thornton still in the lead in Kazahstan but Tommy Fleetwood is coming strongly from behind...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 am

Maverick wrote:
Also in contrast as a side note, we saw Webb Simpson win using the long putter again. Compared to the amount of wins on the US tour this year from memory is something like 8 wins whereas the ET is Long putter 0 wins.
Maybe it's not the putter, but the belly?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Wow, just back to watch this... and what a surprise to find McGinley so high up! Pitty about that double bogey... would've been a heck of round without it! As for Lee and Rory challenge for the lead, no comment.... Great round from the local favorite Luiten to join the top ten and another good week for Niclas Fasth.

Tommy Fleetwood is leading after 3 rounds in Kazahstan and as much as I would like Simon Thornton to win, somehow I can't see Tommy losing it from here on, but we shall see...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 pm

McGinleys round is good for my fantasy league

Westwood is really struggling, what seems more than normal with putting

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Luiten -7 over his last 18 holes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:52 pm

McGinley and Orr look like great 'dark horse' picks right now...
My dark horse this week was Gonzo... way too dark as it turned out!

Thanks Rory, that's better... although it's quite frustrating to go through 13 holes just to be back where you've started...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Great finish Rors!!! An eagle at the last would be very nice now, or maybe I should've kept my mouth shut...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Ok with, Dyson, Mcilroy, Kingston and Mcginley in my fantasy league selections , if these 4 players can have a good round tomorrow that would do nicely.

With so many people so close, hopefully bodes well for an exciting finish

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:25 pm

That sounds like a winning selection, Nay...
Rory will have to negotiate better the front 9 tomorrow if he wants to have a chance. Still very open for tomorrow's final round...

Far too many bogeys for Lee overall, although today according to his stats he putted a bit better, but didn't hit that many fairways and GIRs as he normaly does...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Great chance for numbers 170, 674, 149, 477, 568 and 403 to steal the thunder from 2 and 4!
But wouldn't bet against 55 beating the lot of 'em.
(Fleetwood playing well even if Mac is not at his best.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Yep, many guys currently at the top are associated with big numbers both in terms of their ranking but also in terms of their age... Kingston - 45, Orr - 44, McGinley - 44, Lynn - 38, Fasth - 39...

#55 had a slow day today, but I expect him to be up there in contention tomorrow...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Gary Orr with a two-shot lead. Whenever I see his name I'm reminded of the character in Catch-22!

Looks as if we're in for an exciting final nine holes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Here Comes Rhymin' Simon . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Been out all morning playing and to be honest I'm not sure it was worth the trouble, very blustery around here at the moment (we're told we should blame Katia). Great to see Simon's back where he's been for a good part of this tournament. Suddenly my ET FT not looking so bad with Rors 2nd, Lee and Luiten not far off... I remember couldn't decide if I should get Ross Fisher or Peter Hanson in before the start... tossed a coin and Hanson got through... bad luck!?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Had a very good result. Picked Rory, Lee, Paul McG, Edfors and Benson, who all finished well. Fancy Herr Kaymer missing the cut though.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:10 pm

And: "There Goes Rhymin' Simon", Dyson with the top 35 in the world, a racing certainty for the WGC MatchPlay now, together with the other Major benefits accruing.
Coming of age moment after so many superb results?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Well done Simon Dyson cleaned up at the KLM!! One of the pre tournament picks in the original post.

He is now 2 wins in 2011 racing up the rankings and fulfilling some career promise that's always been there

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down