The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goal kicking at the world cup is shocking.

+19
damage_13
Davie
rodders
aucklandlaurie
boomeranga
nganboy
Pot Hale
Biltong
Full Credit
welshy824
asoreleftshoulder
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Taylorman
HammerofThunor
Cari
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
emack2
wales606
rugbywhales
23 posters

Go down

Goal kicking at the world cup is shocking. Empty Goal kicking at the world cup is shocking.

Post by rugbywhales Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:17 pm

England, Argentina & now Ireland.

Go USA!

rugbywhales

Back to top Go down

Goal kicking at the world cup is shocking. Empty Re: Goal kicking at the world cup is shocking.

Post by wales606 Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Its very odd,

I wonder how James Hook and Morne Steyn will do,

perhaps if the conditions are poor for kicking, we will see a lot more kicks to touch?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Goal kicking at the world cup is shocking. Empty Re: Goal kicking at the world cup is shocking.

Post by rugbywhales Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:41 pm

SA will kick all their penalties after seeing Wales's defence against England.

Despite what Gatland says I fear Wales will go for fancy lineouts & bugger them all up. I think the game will be close but Wales will make mistakes & Steyns boot will win it.

rugbywhales

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:49 pm

It`s all a cunning plan,only All Black kickers get the right ball,all the rest a fixed one,Carter kicked most of his plus a poster,Slade his one shot then they switched the ball.
If you think i`m joking try and get a copy of The Boot [don Clarkes biography] and read of the tricks teams pulled to negate his kicking.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Wilkinson was moaning bofre the England game that the ball prssur is affected by the closed roof and that they woudlnt have any time to practise and get used to the effect.
Sounds ridiculous but hed know a lot more about handling balls than me.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:05 pm

There's definitely a curse or at least something wrong with the balls they're using. ALL the decent kickers have had some terrible misses. I know the weather hasn't been great down there, but england were playing in an enclosed stadium yesterday. Very strange...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Wilkinson has said after the game it was only [b[his[/b]fault. He has mentioned before about changes to balls effecting kicking but nothing this time

EDIT: added 'his'

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Wilkinson was moaning bofre the England game that the ball prssur is affected by the closed roof and that they woudlnt have any time to practise and get used to the effect.
Sounds ridiculous but hed know a lot more about handling balls than me.

makes sense. I was alluding to the effect of the closed roof on the flight of the ball earlier.
The air in a contained space will be different to air subject to normal outside conditions. Akin to kicking a ball inside a hall where the are is completely still.

So you would need to practice in it is the point.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:54 pm

I say there's a curse....it's not affected Steyn for South Africa...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Apparently the ball is the same type they used in the 6N and 3N. Bad batch?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

I thought Gilbert balls were standard world wide,what needs checking is Ball Pressure pre -match of ALL the balls.Dunedin may have been the exception but other kickers had problems too elsewhere.
Maybe it levels the playing field,instead of sitting back and playing for penalties.
Teams are going to have to go out on the field,play the game in front of them.THINK before acting instead doing the mindless over coached robot bit.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Cari wrote:I say there's a curse....it's not affected Steyn for South Africa...

Perhaps the South Africans have put small pieces of metal in the balls and all their fans in the crowd have large magnets?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm

emack2 wrote:
Maybe it levels the playing field,instead of sitting back and playing for penalties.

Teams are going to start committing penalty offences all over the place knowing that there's a good chance they won't be punished for it.It will ruin the games as foul play won't be punished.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 pm

whats the most irritating is the fact that the Saffers still manage to get the penalties over. ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 am

What did Australia kick, about 50%..? that's well above average for us!

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:33 am

welshy824 wrote:whats the most irritating is the fact that the Saffers still manage to get the penalties over. ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penalty - singular
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:40 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
emack2 wrote:

Teams are going to start committing penalty offences all over the place knowing that there's a good chance they won't be punished for it.It will ruin the games as foul play won't be punished.

If the kicking doesn't improve, I think this is a very good point. Psychologically, if the ball isn'g going between the sticks, then penalties are going to increase.

None of the big kickers - Steyn, Wilkinson, O'Gara, Sexton, Carter have said anything though.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 am

That's cause its mainly just fans that are moaning gits. The players get on with it.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:40 am

Steyn nailed all his kicks didn't he? (all 3)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:42 am

He did miss a drop goal
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:44 am

Does that count?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:26 am

Could it just be the additional or different pressure of the event? All these kickers play mountains of high pressure rugby, but the first weekend of the WC probably provides some extra nerves for most players.

Last edited by boomeranga on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stupid keyboard)

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 pm

if there's something wrong with the balls then no one told the guy from Namibia, and that Steyn could kick a brick.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Pot Hale wrote:None of the big kickers - Steyn, Wilkinson, O'Gara, Sexton, Carter have said anything though.

O'Gara has said this morning that he and Sexton thought the balls were fine but pressure is affecting the kickers. It really is amazing how many easy kicks were missed by normally reliable goal kickers though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd say in the case of Sir Johnny it was something we've seen before. He is normally close to perfection when it comes to goal kicking but it has been seen before that when he does have a bad day, he has a REALLY bad day

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I reckon the new balls haven't been 'kicked in'. The players haven't been allowed to practice with the match balls before hand apparently

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Ok I'm going to sound stupid here.

Are we talking air pressure or pressure of playing in the world cup ?
I have heard people mention air pockets etc that's why I ask.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:22 pm

I heard that the players have had the world cup balls for a year before the tournament! Erm

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:22 pm

air pressure/psi if the balls arn't kicked in properly then they travel/float on the imbalance.

Air pressure around the ball and conditions will effect it more. but in a stadium with a roof that factor shouldn't been marginalised.

Wilco said he thought he was striking them well enough.

Mind you, even Mr 100% Patterson missed

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Cari wrote:I heard that the players have had the world cup balls for a year before the tournament! Erm

but not the actual match balls.

If these are brand new then that's a problem.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrjfNo7 Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Probably best to wait until the next round of matches as nervous players will not be at their "norm". However if the percentages remain low then there could be something in it, but I would guess that the players would adapt anyway if there is a sligh difference.

Worrying for the respective teams that some of their kickers are off though, regardless of the cause!

mcrjfNo7

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: if there's something wrong with the balls then no one told the guy from Namibia, and that Steyn could kick a brick.

when he grew up on the farm, he practiced kicking rocks. Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Just for those with a sense of humor.

PDV's newest anecdote from the game vs Wales.

“It was a Gilbert ball before he kicked it but the G was gone after he kicked the ball,” de Villiers said of one of full back Frans Steyn’s long-range punts in the swirling Wellington winds on Sunday night.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Here is some more of our "infamous" coach

And still on the weather in ‘Windy Welly’, “well this is Wellington, where you can get five seasons in one day. Some places you only get four, but here you get five”.

He was philosophical about the refereeing on Sunday night, as a winning coach can afford to be.
“You get it wrong sometimes and you get it right sometimes and I think you have to go sit down and see how many times you got it right and how many times you got it wrong.

“It would be unfair if you got it three times wrong and 10 times right to say it wasn’t very good.

“But as a coach you sit there and you think, ‘that’s hard done against us’, but then you look at it again and say ‘no, it was not as bad as that’.”

He said teams flooding the breakdown were making it harder for referees to determine who is offside, while he had also noted the calls from referees at this tournament for players to stay longer on their feet.

“But then again, being South African, we like to go through people and not around them, because it’s shorter.”

He also revealed teams no longer confine their pre-match analysis to opposing players.

“What’s worrying at this moment is that you have to start analysing the referees too. That wasn’t part of the game 10 years ago, five years ago. Now you have to analyse his character, all those kind of small things.”

He said his team deserved the win because of their defensive effort and the contribution of the bench players who came on in the second half.

“I think that is the way to go, you can have something up your sleeve. If you don’t have that you become as ordinary as everybody else,” de Villiers said.

He said Wales had thrown “the kitchen sink” at South Africa but had failed in what he argued was the toughest first-round match in the toughest pool to win.

“I’m so glad I’m not the Welshmen this morning to think that I have to face Samoa this week,” he added.

furious hilarious
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 pm

I see nothing wrong with what P Divvy said, Samoa is probably the tougher fixture and Wales will be sore.

The other things he said sounded like he made jokes about the weather etc.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Actually that was pretty lucid stuff from P Divvy. I think he´s been told to tone down his comments and has told he can´t use Charlie Sheen as a personal life coach anymore.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:15 pm

"Nice" bit of IRB spin on the new balls here
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 pm

of COURSE they call it "overwhelmingly positive" when Wilco fails to land 4 kicks on the trot and two more. That was their goal to begin with Whistle

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down