The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enzo Mac

+4
hogey
kevchadders
87gaz11
StuDavies
8 posters

Go down

Enzo Mac Empty Enzo Mac

Post by StuDavies Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Just signed to this from the Original 606, although I wasn't a heavy poster I did read every day.

I did post this topic yesterday but just wanted to get you guys thoughts. Apologies if you already saw it yesterday.

So it appears that Enzo will not be hanging up his gloves as many predicted or hoped for (me being one)

Instead of carrying on at cruiserweight he will be dropping down to light heavy. Personally I see him struggling to make the weight, but if he can manage it without draining himself then I think it's an exciting prospect, especially if he manages to bring his power with him.

As I said above, I had hoped he'd retire after being at the arena and watching the knockout he suffered last time out, but I am interested to see where this may lead, just hope there wont be a meeting between him and Cleverly which would surely make most Welshman like myself ponder who to support.

Any thoughts out there?

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/sport/Enzo-ring/article-3254830-detail/article.html

StuDavies

Back to top Go down

Enzo Mac Empty Re: Enzo Mac

Post by 87gaz11 Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 pm

I really hope Enzo doesn't make a comeback. It's time to give it up otherwise he could be on the receiving end of a serious injury.

Sure, his fights are always exciting and his knock out or be knocked out style is great for the fans, but once the punch resistance goes, along with his speed dropping with age it's a bad combination.

If he can make light-heavy I believe he could do OK, but really any of the top 4 or 5 in the division would have his number I feel.

87gaz11

Back to top Go down

Post by StuDavies Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:37 pm

At the age of 30 he's not that old for a boxer, but the punch resistance seems to be diminishing fast.

He's a great guy outside the ring and I'd love to see him do well again, but on the other hand I'd much prefer not to see him take the gamble of getting hurt badly.

StuDavies

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Seeing Enzo's last outing against Frenkel when he got brutally cream crackered in the 7th, i really hope he doesnt get back in the ring.

He may only be 30, but in his last 8 fights he's lost 4 of them by KO, and you can see that he just cant recover propertly. Right now the best he can hope for is domestic honours. Cant see him winning belts at euro level and beyond.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by 87gaz11 Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:52 pm

True, 30 would probably make him one of the younger faces in top level LHW fights, with most of the best upwards of 35. I always take 30 as the point where speed starts to go, but there are some that can defy this. However it will be hard for him to make the weight having spent so long at cruiser, will it take too much out of him?

Also agree that domestic level, possibly Euro is where he will be at. If Cleverly makes the step up to World honours I cannot see the two meeting either, unless it is a last hurrah so to speak for Enzo.

Always loved watching Enzo fight, I feel he has been one of the most entertaining British boxers of recent times. But as you say I'd rather he gave it up with his health and maybe got a punditry job rather than risking a serious injury.

87gaz11

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 am

I dont think Enzo's punch resistance has gone i just think he never had any in the first place and Frank Warren did a great job keeping the wins and money rolling in for him by very careful matchmaking. Lovely fella and i wish him all the best but really should look to going into the media or training over fighters now before he gets properly hurt.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 am

Anyone who has been kayoed 4 times in 8 should retire really, by all accounts.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:08 am

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 am

Id be surprised if he could make LH now. Why wasnt he there years ago if that was the case. Much bigger fights there for him.

The only saving grace for him is that there arent too many explosive hitters at LH at the moment. But he would have to start from the bottom up. At his age is it feasible?

I actually thought if he was hanging around then he would be more likely to go up to HW than down to LH.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 am

The only saving grace for him is that there arent too many explosive hitters at LH at the moment. But he would have to start from the bottom up. At his age is it feasible?

Start from the bottom? Probably not. Warren could easily wangle him a Euro shot but then there's the big danger Warren that Warren's other darling, Nathan Cleverly, comes onto Enzo's radar. No way Warren wants that to happen as Enzo probably still retains that punch and should Clev get beaten Frank's left with a guy whose track record at World Level is already sketchy at best. Can anyone see Enzo facing/beating the likes of Cloud or Dawson, Pascal or even Hopkins? God forbid, what if Calzaghe comes back and fancies a crack?

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 am

DAVE667 wrote:The only saving grace for him is that there arent too many explosive hitters at LH at the moment. But he would have to start from the bottom up. At his age is it feasible?

Start from the bottom? Probably not. Warren could easily wangle him a Euro shot but then there's the big danger Warren that Warren's other darling, Nathan Cleverly, comes onto Enzo's radar. No way Warren wants that to happen as Enzo probably still retains that punch and should Clev get beaten Frank's left with a guy whose track record at World Level is already sketchy at best. Can anyone see Enzo facing/beating the likes of Cloud or Dawson, Pascal or even Hopkins? God forbid, what if Calzaghe comes back and fancies a crack?

Thats the point, I cant see him even getting into position to have a crack at these guys. He would need about 2/3 more (winning) fights to even get into contention in any of the rankings. Even with a good promoter Ezzo recent record isnt good enough to just waltz into a big fight. He would be lucky to get a shot at Cleverlys vacant Euro belt even. I think even assuming he gets back to winning ways he would be about 3 years away from a title shot.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 am

Only way Enzo wins a LH strap is if Clev fails in his bid for the WBO belt or, if he wins, then vacates it in order to face one of the division's big boys

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:44 am

Enzo has lost his punch resistance and that for me would be one of the main reasons to retire, he doesn't seem to have the same snap in his punches that he used to, that left hook to the body used to have his oppenents in all sorts of trouble, i don't want to see him take anymore punches because the next one could be his last, i have no problem if he wants to continue but feel he will never be able to get back to where he was, confidence and punch resistance being the main issues.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down