The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok What Do We Think So Far

4 posters

Go down

Ok What Do We Think So Far Empty Ok What Do We Think So Far

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

So with the exception of Samoa the top 10 teams have all aplyed now in this first weekend - What we think

NZ - Thought they handled the pressure of hosts and opening ceremony very well, game was effectively won by half time and they took foot of gas. Can't see France stopping them winning their group and will be in the final.

Australia - Slow out of the blocks like nearly all the 'big' sides this weekend but once the hit their stride looked comfortable and IMO have the best combo of strike runners in the competition. Will take a big performance from somebody to stop them getting to Final.

SA - Let off the hook by Wales and will now most probably get some momentum going, PDV needs to decide what his best team is will still have big say in this torunament.

France - Who knows, the continuing enigma that is France. Showed they can play but were at times made to look ordinary by a very committed Japan side, why did Arlidge never play like that at Dave?

England - Like France I feel they will grow but were very poor and very lucky to get away with it yesterday, finishing was again poor. Scotland might well fancy their chances.

Wales - Said all along 1st up was our best chance to beat the Boks and should have won it, can take great heart form defat as was young side BUT we can't go on being gallant losers give me a dire 3 point win anytime in comps like this.

Scotland - Another side who struggled with the favourites tag, finished the game off well but will have to lift it against the bigger teams or should I say bigger packs they will meet.

Ireland - Do they know what they best or first choice side is, seems a lot of in decision at the moment, 9/11 emotion aside they like England and Scotland should have had far more easier and convincing wins.

Argentina - Like Wales must be icking themselves about the one that got away, so much for the ageing side. Their forwards were great and as big and has hard as ever, they will fancy beating Scotland and finishing as runners ups.

A mention to Fiji and a warning to Wales - Fiji played gerat running rugby that we all know they can so lets not get pulled into their game style when we meet them or its good night. Their scrum wasn't strong and line out functioned ok.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Ok What Do We Think So Far Empty Re: Ok What Do We Think So Far

Post by EnglishReign Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:19 pm

It's difficult to compare still, I reckon. England, Wales, SA and Argentina have had the hardest games by far. Every other top 10 side played minnows.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

I loved every minute of this first round of matches, it was well worth the long wait. I think NZ and Aus confirmed their favoured likely-finalists tag with strong performances. SA just got there but looked far from their usual, imposing selves. They will be flat-out making the semi's unless they go up a few more gears. Wales and Welsh fans will feel like that one got away from them. It was hard to tell watching the game on a very stop-start stream but that penalty from Hook looked ok to me.

The ever present threat of an upset is what makes the WC so watchable. Romania pushed Scotland, Japan pushed France, Namibia troubled Fiji in parts, and the yanks were stoic in defence. No cricket scores!

I think it's too early to say that 'A' beat 'B' so 'C' should beat 'A' because everyone prepares differently for each game but, for the hell of it, Italy could trouble Ireland if they can turn a good 40mins into a good 60mins. Japan, while valiant, are highly unlikely to trouble NZ which should see the end of the tournament for them which is a shame because they showed promise for large parts of the match V France and deserve to go further if only for their vocal fans.

Pool B and D are the most interesting. While Romania gave a good account of themselves, this is a three way battle between England, Argentina, and Scotland with any of these sides likely to beat the other on their day with Georgia as a possible thorn in someone's side. Fiji didn't look that convincing against Namibia but were strong in broken play, Wales and SA will have to keep it tight. It will be good to see if the form Samoa showed against Aus was a one off or is more permanent. That pool is anyone's guess but whoever comes through will be covered in bruises.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

dont mention that penalty i may exploded with rage.

but so far unfortunatley no upsets everything going to plan.

wales look the best from the NH (not being biased) but irish looked half interested in the usa match did some nice things.
the french were their typical selves.
england were ok but were lucky to get a way with a win
scotland almost lost to romania
and wales well wales... (breaks down and cries) Cry

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum