The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: BMW Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

+16
Tiler76
Leff
Redrage
Davie
venice1
Faldono1fan
Sand
KevMcD
Lairdy
Maverick
princedracula
Shotrock
Skydriver
McLaren
EmmDee57
kwinigolfer
20 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: BMW Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: BMW Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Sep 2011, 11:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).No golf last weekend to review so let's all jump in to our courtesy Beemers and drive to Cog Hill #4, "Dubsdread", in Chicago for the 2011 BMW Championship, Round 3 of the FedEx Cup Play Offs. Cog Hill is a Dick Wilson / Joe Finger design, built in 1964, but re-done (some say vandalised) a couple of years ago by Rees Jones in a way that would make Dick Wilson drink himself to death. What, he's already done that once? OK, but let's see what one-time Cog Hill winner (at the old, and much mourned Western Open) Steve Stricker has to say:

2).Stricker is quoted in last week's GolfWorld as follows: "The players just don't like it. They liked it before to some extent, (but) the re-do is just not good, sorry to say . . . I can't imagine a 10-, 12-, 14-handicapper trying to play that place." Certainly rules me out in that case. On top of all that, last summer's weather left Cog Hill in pretty bad shape for the BMW, so much so that the PGA Tour has still to commit to return.

3).Next year's BMW will be played at Crooked Stick, site of John Daly's PGA Championship, and will go in 2014 to Denver's Cherry Hills. Normally the 2013 event would return to Cog Hill or St.Louis's Bellerive (where Villegas won the 2008 edition) but no venue has yet been confirmed.

4).While on the subject of course conditioning, several classic courses are suffering from extreme conditions, Winged Foot, Oakmont among them. Most significant in the short term, Medinah, site of next year's Ryder Cup, had 11 greens rebuilt and regrassed two years ago. This year they are reported to be "severely stressed" and approach areas and fairways are also suffering or dead. Of course, Medinah claim it will be "alright on the night" but Ryder Cup followers and players should beware. Watch this space.

5).Ryder Cup "World points" will be on offer this week with Luke Donald leading the chase after Messrs Bjorn and Dyson have leapt to the top of the European Points list. Very early days but the US Points list is led by the following:
Keegan Bradley, Dufner, Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Stricker, Palmer, Toms, Van Pelt.

6).Fred Couples' and Greg Norman's Presidents Cup Teams' top ten automatic qualifiers will be determined this week.
Most of the usual suspects are already in, but the US Team has Mahan, Furyk and Toms grouped closely together in 8th, 9th, and 10th place, with Snedeker and Bill Haas breathing down their necks. A dozen others could scrape in but would have to finish in the first two or three places this week. Players who Ryder Cupped at Celtic Manor who would need a Captain's Choice as things currently stand are: Cink, Fowler, Zach Johnson, Overton and, oh yes, Woods who holds 29th position but has been guaranteed a pick by Fred.

Greg Norman has nine almost dead certs, but Melbourne boys Ogilvy, Baddeley and Allenby, plus Vijay and Roary Sabbatini will be battling for one automatic place in Chicago. If they all stink up the Cog Hill joint, Oosthuizen could fill the last place but I'm betting one of the above actually comes to play this week. Captain's picks will be made in two weeks' time.

7).That Tiger Woods fellow will be playing in California, at the Fry's.com in early October, either as a sop to Freddie, or because "I always enjoy competing in my home state, and this tournament fits my schedule perfectly". In other words, Elin has the kids for the week, and when the Tour is in Palm Springs, Pebble Beach and Los Angeles I'm off making the big bucks elsewhere.

8).Back to the Beemer. Seventy players tee it up on Thursday morning, thirty progress to the Tour Championship in Atlanta. According to pgatour.com, 21 players already are assured of an East Lake tee time. Among those still on the hook are last year's winner Furyk, PGA Tour great hope for the future Rickie Fowler, Baddeley, Schwartzel, Villegas, Els and seven Europeans hoping to join Chicago resident St.Luke. These, with the projected necessary finishes for qualification, are:
Jacobson; 62nd
Laird: 14th
Rose: 12th
Davis: 12th
Karlsson: 7th
Pettersson: 4th
Garcia: 4th.

9).Before the cynics say it's just money they're playing for, the benefits for reaching the Tour Championship may include, depending upon entry criteria, admission to WGC Cadillac, and some Majors, not to mention all the PGA Tour "Invitationals".

10).Meanwhile, the Champions Tour is back in business just where you'd expect, Korea, and the Nationwide resumes in Boise, Idaho, popular hiding place for "white surpremacists". Gary Christian and Russell Knox will be looking to consolidate their money list position as they prepare for the PGA Tour, while Greg Owen is also playing, but he's in "reverse" as his compatriots move to "fast forward". Ooh, and John Daly's there too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: BMW Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: BMW Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Sand Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:58 pm

Some big names really struggling today. Rose is playing excellent it goes without saying.

Sand

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: BMW Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: BMW Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Davie Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:58 pm

Is there a 36-hole cut this week or do the magnificent 70 all get to play the weekend?

Flushed with success from last weekend where my hard earned shilling went on Dyson, I looked at the odds for the Seve trophy and couldn't see anything worth a flutter so this week I've gone for Luuuke and G'Day

Imagine how silly I feel right now Sad

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

Luke certainly not out of it yet, but hardly looking like a World #1 at the moment. "Hometown" jitters?

Good for Rose! Heck of a start.

I would not mind seeing Mark Wilson hoist the trophy this week, and become the quietest 3-time winner on the PGA in some time.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:10 pm

The Magnificent 70 go all the way, Davie.

Rose so far is 3rd in driving distance, 1st in accuracy, 3rd in gir, 4th in putts per gir. Pretty sporty.
Suffice to say Luuuke is not in the top 40 in any of the main stats.

Shotrock: Mark Wilson lives by Cog Hill I think . . . . . played well here a couple of years ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:24 pm

See today was the 7th time Rose had hit every fairway.

Surprised me anyway.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:46 pm

There are some courses I'd be pleased to reach every fairway.

Someone please tell NBC there's other shots being struck except tape-delayed putts.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

Nice 40 footer for sergio at the last for -2 and T7. Good start.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

Does anyone know the reason as to Camillo Villegas' recent good form?? He might make it through to the Tour next week. A far cry from 2 month's ago when he was outside the top 125!!

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

I think Justin Rose would be in pretty good position if he signed off on Sunday still at 8 under. May not win with that but wouldn't be far away.

Decent starts for Swedes Jacobson, Karlsson and Pettersson but not a patch on compatriot Jonas Blixt who blitzed Boise on the Nationwide in nine under par. More of that and we could be seeing him on the PGA Tour next year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm

not sure whats more impressive the fact blixt shot -9 or the fact he holed a 100foot put for eagle. Yes i did say a 100 foot putt.......

Simpson up there again, has very quick tempo to his swing lets hope that holds out because if he won the fed ex overall I don't think anyone could argue that he has been the best player this year.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

No idea what inspired Camilo, EmmDee. Playing well now though!

Didn't see the 100 footer Mav, got to watch for that later! Good day's work by Greg Owen but he needs a few more of them, this week and beyond.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:42 pm

Get the feeling that Camillo strugged early season after the change of clubs and loss of his regular caddie, also seemed to do a bit more commercial stuff than usual.

Seems to have settled again now so hopefully see him competing again over the coming weeks/months...

Greg Owen seems to be meandering through his career since his full time stateside move, to think he once threatened to win the claret jug

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Sep 2011, 11:00 pm

Mav,
I think he was a bit more discombobulated by his Kapalua dq than one might have thought, then he was injured for a month or two. Who knows?!

Owen's PGA Tour career defines "journeyman"; good player but journeyman! If he measures his career by money won, I'm sure he'll say he made the right move - anonymous though he's been except for one Bay Hill moment of notoriety!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:34 am

Could be right there Kwini, still find the Kapalua incident a bizarre one, he would surely have known the rule, but I think to DQ him for it which was not a blatant attempt at cheating more a frustatrated hit out at a divot bizarre

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

Just a side note that playing on the Nationwide this week is Long Drive extraordinaire Jamie Sadlowski. Check out his driving stats for R1! stats

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

Lairdy wrote:Just a side note that playing on the Nationwide this week is Long Drive extraordinaire Jamie Sadlowski. Check out his driving stats for R1! stats

Wow. 369 yards??

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

I read one article saying he reached a 359yard par 4 green from the tee with a 14 degree hybrid...

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

So far, he's beating John Daly by 3 strokes and 37 yards!
Remember it's at altitude though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 16 Sep 2011, 1:24 pm

Not necessarily "Mr. Inside the Ropes", but for some accurate reporting without getting carried away on personality issues, I like Larry Dorman of the NYT's. Here's his article from yesterday: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/sports/golf/bmw-championship-justin-rose-and-two-others-breeze-through-tough-course.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Bill Pennington also does some humorous video clips for the amateur golfer for the same paper.

Maverick - Simpson (who I really like and met twice this year) may be the most consistent golfer, but the best golfer this year -- hands down, IMO -- is Rory. Getting in position at Augusta was very impressive ... but brushing that final round meltdown off his shoulder like an unwanted bug and trouncing the field at Congressional was one for the ages.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

Sr,
Larry Dorman is quite good I think, only regularly see his stuff on Sundays, but feel he and Doug Ferguson are the best of a pretty poor bunch.
(Bill Pennington did a terrific series on Div 3 "recruiting" at a time my daughter was going through exactly that - he focussed on Haverford, in your neck of the woods! I made sure all the local high school guidance counsellors had to follow it!)

Still reckon Rose would be reasonably content with 8 under after Sunday's affairs, but I see an ominous green splodge approaching Chicago; looks like a very light drizzle so hopefully the course will just get harder and faster as the weekend goes on. Less wind today.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 16 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

Kwin - Good morning. Frost on the pumpkin up there? When's peak foliage?

Never played old or new Cog Hill. And while professional golfers, like all of us, are entitled to their opinion on course design, I hope architects understand it's coming from a group with a skill set nothing like the vast majority of recreational players.

Did I really have a hunch about Dustin Johnson? Oy.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

Shotrock, I had a hunch on Gary Woodland which after a bogey, bogey, bogey start I thought my money was done. However, a great back 9 has got him right back in the hunt so don't rule Dustin out just yet, a lot of golf still to play and he's capapble of going low.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

Cheers for the link Shotrock. Glad to read a report on round 1 that doesnt included comments on Justin's toddler; Simpson being the #1 golfer in the US (and the world!) or how he's had a haircut; and Mark Wilson getting back to form at the same time his Packers return to the TV.

Kwini - when are the players out Telford time today? Link for GW

EmmDee - great Birdie on the last by Woodland. Amazing how much control he looks to have compared to Bubba and Phil alongside him!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

I didn't see much of the golf last night, was too busy watching my football team get defeated in Madrid Sad

This event could through up an interesting winner I reckon.

Speaking of Bubba, the Fedex seems like it's a bit of a chore for him and he's still got next week to go!!

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Lairdy,
They're off at 10.20 a.m. Tulsa time (and 4.20 p.m. in Telford). But it's a very early start in Chicago Saturday as the golf coverage is being shifted to accomodate an insignificant college football game.

Sr,
No frost here until perhaps tonight. But frost in the "Valley" and surely at the GC Of N also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

Bubba's mental game has been off (was it ever on!?) since his last victory probably. Even before his PR fiasco in Paris I noticed a slump in his shoulders. Not sure what burst his bubble...

Didnt realise how tough a group Celtic got! Udinese ran Arsenal pretty close for a spot in the CL with Di Natale still looking dangerous. Then Rennes ran them close last night! Absolute dire in Europe for Scottish Clubs this season. Im a Rangers fan and those figures that came out at the start of the week were shocking! Malmo £4.5m per year on wages, Maribor £1.5, Rangers? Close to £20m! I'd pin that to the dressing room wall and remind them to justify it everytime they step on a pitch. The quicker the Old Firm realise its ok to rely on youth the quicker we can build the game up again in this country. Meanwhile we are better sticking to the golf! Ale

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

Tough group indeed Lairdy but bottom line is we shouldn't be in the competition regardless of Sion's failuire to field eligible players. Good point regarding the wages though, shows that there are many players taking wages and not performing. Worrying times for Rangers fans at the moment with their finances and threat of insolvency. Mr Whyte doesn't look too trustworthy.

Back to the golf, it's a shame Bubba can't get his head right all the time but I suppose that is the wonder of Bubba and what makes him who he is.

Wonder if Jerry Kelly could finish high enough to make the top 30 for next week....

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:12 pm

Isn't the really big point about Scottish futility in Europe the reduction of their FA's coefficient for future seedings and inclusions in UEFA competition?

Nice comebacks by a number of top players yesterday in Chicago including Mickelson, Gary Woodland and, yes, Martin Laird!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

Correct Kwini, our coefficient is low just now so unless the teams who make it into European competitions begin winning and earning points, then we could be going down so far in the rankings we may end up like the Welsh and Irish leagues and have zero hope of ever qualifying for the Champions League group stages.

Go Woody & Lairdy!! Won't see any of it tonight as I will be out but should see some of tomorrow's play and definitely all of Sunday night's conclusion.

Time to end the week of work now and head home. Hope you all have an enjoyable weekend Ale Ale Ale

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Isn't the really big point about Scottish futility in Europe the reduction of their FA's coefficient for future seedings and inclusions in UEFA competition?

Yeah, this is a massive issue now. Not just for clubs teams, but the national team too.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

Team GB already four under for the day despite Laird's SEVEN on the easiest hole on the course.

Most notable among those seemingly shooting themselves out of the Top 30 is Schwartzel, six over for his last 14 holes and with it all to do. Remember, he chose to sit out The Barclays - it may backfire on him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:31 pm

Woodland doubled the same hole Kwini, was making a charge up the leaderboard at the time. My 40/1 odds were shortening but not now Sad

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:46 pm

Woodland has had a very consistent season including decent performances in the Majors; struggled with his putter yesterday, had at least two 3-putts, possibly more and I'd think if his entire short game improved just a little, he'd become a frequent winner - suppose you could say the same about Johnson and Watson too.

Regarding automatic Presidents Cup qualification, looks like Ogilvy, Haas and Snedeker are helping themselves the most so far, Vijay Singh and Badds probably losing the most ground.

EmmDee, Redrage,
You'd almost think it would be worth the Scottish FA introducing some incentives for good performances in Europe, both for the clubs, and the National Team players - the revenue lost to Scottish Football and beyond if they become an also-ran must be huge.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:10 pm

Early days yet, but Wales's very own Becky Morgan has the lead halfway through Round 2 of this week's LPGA stop in Alabama. Karen Stupples also going well but likely missed cuts for Moodie and McKay.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:28 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
EmmDee, Redrage,
You'd almost think it would be worth the Scottish FA introducing some incentives for good performances in Europe, both for the clubs, and the National Team players - the revenue lost to Scottish Football and beyond if they become an also-ran must be huge.

The SFA wouldn't even give the OF sides a match day off to prepare for their Uefa Cup Finals in recent times. We simply don't invest enough at grassroots level or give the right sort of coaching at that level either. Hammer throwers are mass produced at the expense of talented smaller players and that is what fills our club sides. It's no wonder that our product is so poor. We produce great managers, but not great coaches. Sir Alex Ferguson has sourced his from far and wide at Man U!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:37 pm

Almost sickening when one considers the quality of players one group up watching, Redrage; where are the Baxters, Bremners, Laws, Munros, Crerands and Charlie Cookes?

I think the point earlier about the Old Form wages (mostly spent on foreign mercenaries?) tells a big part of the story. Very sad.

Meanwhile, Martin Laird will hopefully do you proud this week, nice recovery from a crummy start yesterday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

Luke Donald showing just why he's Number One.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

Is Justin Rose wearing skateboarding shoes? It seems to be working anyway.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm

McLaren wrote:Is Justin Rose wearing skateboarding shoes? It seems to be working anyway.

Think its the same sort of shoes couples and ryan moore wears. Think somehow they help the back. Brilliant bunker shot from Sergio for birdie.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:22 am

And then there were 69.
Not exactly an Ishikawa deal here, but Stricker has withdrawn from the BMW Championship following Round 2 citing a sore neck.

If there was ever any doubt to non-American sport followers how even the most insignificant and amateur American football game is more important to advertisers and TV networks than, say, golf, tomorrow's early tee-times will hopefully provide some insight.

In one of the PGA Tour's premier events, the players tee off for Round 3, off both tees, in threesomes, at 7.25 a.m. local/CDT in an effort to complete play before the University of Notre Dame starts its football game which the NBC TV Network gives priority to over the BMW Championship.

Now, Notre Dame at one time was a significant force in the College Football world but they are a fading force these days, certainly not in the top 30 College Teams, sort of like a Leeds United or a Sheffield Wednesday. (Sorry Yorkshire.)
But this is COLLEGE, not the PROS, so they're the equivalent of what the old, say, Isthmian League used to be.
Bloody stupid, an insult to BMW, an insult to FedEx, an insult to the PGA Tour players, and an insult to golf fans everywhere. One can only hope that the PGA Tour exact some blood money for this abomination.

Won't bother Stricker though! He's resting up for Atlanta next week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:43 am

Kwini - Fully agree a disgrace and complete insult to those playing in the event.

Problem is though the NFL is americas sport isn't it, and no matter what the PGA tour and finchem do it will never have the draw of American Football even College ball. I think that also says a lot about the difference in our nations, can you imagine any college sport in Britain getting the crowds of college football. After all Bristol Uni v Loughbrough hardly has the same ring to is UCLA v Tennesse. Of course I just use those as examples.

The only college sport we have here with any sort of following is the Boat Race and that's a load of rubbish. I just find the whole broadcasting of Notre Dame over a prime piece PGA real estate like the BMW totally bizarre, it's not like in recent years they even produced the players of past years in the NFL draft nor have they won anything. I would liken it to the scheduling of Dartfod FC v Dover Athletic, over Ardenal v Man utd. But then just shows what broadcasters and sports fans in the US want to see.

Whilst on topic of US sports, I see my NY Yankees went down 5-4 yesterday, hopefully the Jets can go one better and bag a win for me, as I love my american sports and having been to both Yankee Stadium and to see the Jets I'm completely hooked even more so than watching normal football.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

'Morning Mav,
I just find it infuriating; what's the point of NBC bidding for a property they can't properly show? (Much prefer College Football to the NFL but sure if the Bills keep on winning I'll change my mind!)
Watched the Yankee game last night, just not getting consistent hitting; evening not made any better by the Red Sox winning!

On the bright side, should be a good day for golf in Chicago, warmer than the players might expect, pretty calm conditions; warmer, breezier and possibly rainier Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 17 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

Well, over here, sorry to say it, but didn't want to watch any golf this morning...
What a fantastic win for Ireland!!!!!! Leprechaun guinness
Sorry GJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

Great result for Ireland - hope all our friends from the Emerald Isle were wearing their sou'westers in sympathy for the weather.

Much better conditions in Chicago, temps in the low/mid fifties but a little breezier than previously forecast. Temps rising towards 70 but golf will probably be done by then.
Fowler, Badds and Sergio among those off in the first groups, Luke Donald, Mahan and Martin Laird a tee-time later. Important two days for all of them, for different reasons of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

Kwini

You will of course know better but would it not fairer to compare top college teams in the US to say under 21/23 teams of the top european football clubs? Some players will be the next big stars and others will have to drop several levels to continue playing the game.

Does the level of play really matter however if there is a massive following and passion for the event from the fans. I would imagine there are more people interested in watching college football than even the biggest Golfing event, so why would golf try and compete for ratings with such an event?

I don't even like rugby but watching the Ireland V Australia match was so much more enjoyable than watching almost any golf. The crowd were amazing and it was a great story on the pitch. We have to remember and some people have to accept we are in a post tiger era of golf, for the time being anyway. Tiger could produce sporting moments that were universally great to watch, the current crop are probably more for the connoisseurs like kwini and princedrac.

Kwini, back to a point raised a day or so ago. I listed the european tour events with less than 30 points available so far this year. You replied with, "they dont play them...".

Well that is true but does that not highlight the weakness of the european tour if without westwood and the other top ten players the quality and points available falls of a cliff. To borrow an F1 term. Even some of the weaker events in the US maintain and decent OWGR points total despite not having there top guys.

I would see this situation as very worrying for the European tour as it shows with only minimal defection to the US PGA tour and the status of the bigger events on tour is under serious threat. It is always the case that the top five of the OWGR determine who and where "their" points are distributed. Luckily for the European tour in recent years the likes of westwood, kaymer and McIlroy have managed to steal points in the majors and WGC's and give them back to the european tour. If they dont go back to the European tour as often the points are then distributed in the PGA tour.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

Kwin - It's absolutely not insignificant if advertisers can get more eyeballs on the event. Notre Dame can stink the joint up, but they have a pretty rabid national following -- and let's face it, golf is on nearly non-stop for 8+ months, and not just for one day during the week. Not surprised by the decision.

I heard yesterday Rose took a quick lesson from Sean Foley, and he's not laying the club off at the top much. Hopefully, he can do it for two more days.

O'Hair is going to have to go real low if he wants to play next weekend. I don't hold out too much hope, but encouraged by his turnaround late this season.

I'm less worried about the Yankees hitting than their starting pitching!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

Mac,
You're right of course; but it just seems a sell-out by the PGA Tour and disrespectful to their players and their sponsors. (It is also true that CBS switched from the Men's US Open Tennis Final last year (or was it 2009?) to go to the NFL!)

There's a great string of "commercial" messages by the Collegiate Athletic (NCAA) people with the punchline to the effect that: "99% of Collegiate athletes will turn pro at something other than sport". Very true, and the poor old players are bigged up through school and college only to be dropped like hot potatoes by life unless they're one of the 1%!

As my son just graduated from a Uni that routinely files 80,000 fans through it's turnstiles to watch them play the blind school, or occasionally Florida, I'm well aware of the appeal of College Football, despite the fact that academic, not to mention behavioural, standards to accomodate the players are minimal and that anyone suffering a long-term injury is on their own for life, no universal health care. Tough luck? Tough tittie!

But America loves it!!

As for the European Tour, we could debate for ages, but I reckon the greatest strength of the E.T. is the increasing depth. But it would do the E.T. the power of good if the owgr's lowered the "subsidy" for every Tour, PGA Tour included, and O'Grady and the rest would better focus on getting the top players to play in something other than the galactico events.

I'd bet even money:
~Rory will be back in Europe within five years. And:
~The PGA Tour will modify its rule about the number of events golfers leaving full membership are permitted to play the following year.

(Shotrock, just disappointed at the lack of productivity by so many of the bats, some terrible averages from big-time players, not to mention prima donna AFraud. Hopefully Bartolo will give Toronto a Colon-oscopy this afternoon.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Sep 2011, 4:13 pm

Scoring looks a little trickier at Cog Hill, but not for Ryder Cup partners Sergio and Number One, the only players who have reached 3 under par for the day after almost three Chicago hours.

Among those who have plenty to play for, apart from the filthy lucre of course, Fowler, Mahan and Sabbatini are beating a hasty retreat.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 17 Sep 2011, 4:32 pm

Bad start for the ausies this morning... I wonder if they woke up early to watch the match, that would explain the lack of appetite...
But it's great to see some of the top Europeans making a move at the moment... It's not the first time when Luke comes back so impressively strong after a poor first round...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:30 pm

Just put on the golf and was happy to see martin laird going along nicely. Not to mention a great start from Rose.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next