The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting post USO commentary from Courier

+2
bogbrush
socal1976
6 posters

Go down

Interesting post USO commentary from Courier Empty Interesting post USO commentary from Courier

Post by socal1976 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 7:34 am

“Novak has two guys who have won double-digit majors, and they are both healthy, and he’s still dominating them,” said Jim Courier, the United States Davis Cup captain and a former world No. 1. “That’s what’s most impressive about this season, probably.”

Federer did not have two men of his stature to manhandle at his peak. Djokovic has two players of superior stature to underscore his state of grace. “That’s why this feels more astounding to me,” Courier said.

Courier joins mac in saying this season for Djoko is greatest since laver. Now of course some of fed's best years namely 05 and 06 make it hard to argue that he doesn't have a case for the title of best year since laver. Not to mention that novak still has to go through the indoor season and continue to play nearly flawless tennis. But Courier makes an interesting point, Novak has two all time legends to compete with which maybe makes this year's record even more impressive. Fed had a teenage Nadal and the left overs of the weak era to compete with. Fed is not at his peak but he is still a competent and dangerous legend who raises his level for the Djoko matchup. And Nadal despite all the rumblings about his failings has 4 losses to the rest of the tour this year. Still there is a lot to be decided to rate this year over Fed's best, Novak has to get through the entire indoor season with at most 1 or 2 losses to take that distinction in my mind, and win the year ender.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Interesting post USO commentary from Courier Empty Re: Interesting post USO commentary from Courier

Post by bogbrush Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:02 am

Federer is a legend on his record, not on his current level. He's a superb player but only because he's fallen down from a level that was off the scale.
The simple proof is that he now routinely loses to people like Monfils, Gasquet and Tsonga, who he toyed with in earlier years. But of course you know that, so you introduce this idea that Federer raises his level just especially for Djokovic (is he in on the conspiracy with everyone else?).

Djokovic is now dominating a retrieval and fitness game because he's the fittest and best retriever around. It's like when Lleyton Hewitt came along and nobody could get the ball through him.

And as for greatest year, Federer doesn't hold that accolade. John McEnroe 1984 is the best ever year.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Interesting post USO commentary from Courier Empty Re: Interesting post USO commentary from Courier

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

I see, all the deluded people who tipped Nadal as the GOAT now are turning their attentions to Djokovic...... Very Happy

Last edited by Jeremy_Kyle on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

JK, where in my post is there any mention of goat?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

Soc: don't take it personal! I am talking about Courier and that idiotic man of Simon Read, both of them were quick to jump on the Nadal bandwagon in the past......
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

Simpletons like Reed will always do that. He'll dump Djokovic like a bad habit as soon as someone else comes along (although that'll be a long time as there is no young talent in this "Golden Era").
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Simon Reed: my favourite journalist when I want to have a good laugh. He got very close to tip Murray as the next GOAT 🤦
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

It depends really on who you have more admiration for. Those who think Federer has the most complete game will naturally say Federer is the GOAT and vice versa for Nadal admirers.

I was talking to a hardcore Nadal fan and the opinion was that Nadal was already the GOAT because of the career slam, olympic gold, masters and the Davis Cup.

Granted he has a long list of achievements and really Federer should have got the gold medal in 04 had he not slipped up against Berdych. However, with regard to the Davis Cup, that is a TEAM effort. Spain and now Serbia (and France) have so many players in the top 40 that its no surprise they are a force when it comes to DC ties.

I see the point Courier is making in that Djoko has two to contend with but as mentioned Federer is not at his peak even though he still can play a good game. Would Federer in his prime have been beaten by Djokovic when 2-0 up in a slam? Probably not. I think Fed is slightly out of the equation now. I am not taking anything away from Djoko's season as it is fantastic but to say he is a legend already is premature.

One year ago Nadal was top of the pile and it didn't look as if he would be toppled. Now look where he is at. With every decade and generation new players will be better than the previous one. After not having a career slam winner for 10 years 2 came along in consecutive years and a third in a year or so looks more than likely. This will be an outstanding season and sure to eclipse McEnroe's 1984 but surely NOT The Rocket's 1969.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:16 pm

FedsFan wrote:to a hardcore Nadal fan and the opinion was that Nadal was already the GOAT because of the career slam, olympic gold, masters and the Davis Cup.

I don't get why people give so much importance to gold medal. Tennis has never had any tradition in the Olympic games, and until few years ago the very best didn't even bother to turn up for the Olyimpics.......
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Faust Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

Socal I think you have a blindfolding passive-agressive obsession with Federer. You either kick or kiss his @ass.
Best year since 1969 means SINCE 1969 not since 2006.
The best years:
1. John McEnroe, 1984 82-3, US Open, Wimbledon, RU French 96.5 winning percentage
2. Jimmy Connors 1974 99-4, 3 GS and 15 Tour wins. 96 wp
3.Roger Federer 2006 92-5, 3 GS, all finals 94.6 wp

Connors in 1974 won 3 GS to McEnroe's 2 and was not allowed 
to participate in the French Open.He has a case for best year ever.

Faust

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

Faust makes a good point about Connors; his achievement is often forgotten.

But I agree with Socal that for Novak to surpass Roger's 2006 he would need to win the WTF and lose less than three matches before the end of the year.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:Simon Reed: my favourite journalist when I want to have a good laugh. He got very close to tip Murray as the next GOAT 🤦
I remember a few years ago him declaring that Murray was "the #1 in the dressing room".
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:57 pm

Djoko has also the disadvantage of having reached 3 slams finals only. Fed reached the four of them!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:21 pm

Faust wrote:Socal I think you have a blindfolding passive-agressive obsession with Federer. You either kick or kiss his @ass.
Best year since 1969 means SINCE 1969 not since 2006.
The best years:
1. John McEnroe, 1984 82-3, US Open, Wimbledon, RU French 96.5 winning percentage
2. Jimmy Connors 1974 99-4, 3 GS and 15 Tour wins. 96 wp
3.Roger Federer 2006 92-5, 3 GS, all finals 94.6 wp

Connors in 1974 won 3 GS to McEnroe's 2 and was not allowed 
to participate in the French Open.He has a case for best year ever.

Correct faust, I can't believe I forgot jimbo. 99-4 is probably better than anything Djoko or Fed could come up with. How the heck did I forget jimbo. Good call! I stand corrected, definetly give the best season since laver so far to jimbo. Novak would pretty much have to go unbeaten the rest of the year to top that year. I give jimbo the edge over Mac actually because of the crazy number of 15 tournaments and 99 match wins although his win percentage is half a percent lower than mac's that is almost insignificant.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down