The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer vs Boxer at Mania?

+6
TwisT
Kay Fabe
talkingpoint
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Brady12
ncfc_Tooze
10 posters

Go down

Boxer vs Boxer at Mania? Empty Boxer vs Boxer at Mania?

Post by ncfc_Tooze Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

Fresh off a unanimous decision win over David Tua this past weekend, heavyweight boxer Monte "Two Gunz" Barrett says he is open to a third match with The Tuamanator - at Wrestlemania XXVIII.

The 40-year-old Barrett (35-9-2, 20 KO) of Bayonne, NJ survived a late knockdown in their ten-round clash in Tua's backyard of New Zealand to hang on for the win, which was a rematch of their controversial draw last year in Atlantic City, NJ.

Barrett says a third meeting between the two would have to happen at the World Wrestling Entertainment mega event, which is scheduled for April 1 in Miami, Florida. Barrett says he will speak with his good friend and 11-time WWE champion John Cena about facilitating the matchup, which would be under professional wrestling rules.

"I spoke to Tua after the press conference, he said, 'Call me man, I'm with it,'" said Barrett through a jaw wired shut due to a fracture sustained in the fight. "He did an imitation of The Rock and said, 'Let's get it on.' I said after I speak to John and I get everything together that I'd get back to him.

"I wouldn't mind doing it in a steel cage."

Barrett says he has been in contact with Cena via text messaging but hasn't spoken verbally with Cena yet. Barrett says he expects to speak with Cena on the phone in the next few days.

"[Cena] is in contact with the talent department and they're looking at exactly how they're going to approach this whole thing where it works out for everybody," said Barrett.

Tua, 52-4-2 (43 KO), isn't without his own wrestling credentials. Tua's uncle Afa Anoa'i who was one half of the Wild Samoans tag team that won the WWE tag team titles in the 1980s and were enshrined in the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007.

The Anoa'i family boasts a long lineage of wrestling talent, including former WWE champ Yokozuna and former intercontinental champions Rikishi and Umaga.

The most famous of the Anoa'i clan is Dwayne Johnson, better known as The Rock, who coincidentally will headline Wrestlemania XXVIII against John Cena.

When asked whether he, with Cena's backing, or Tua with his lineage, had the edge in a wrestling match, Barrett entered into character.

"Of course me, you can't see me. I'm pretty sure David will go with the Samoan Brothers, but I'm gonna stick with my guns.

"Every fight with David is going to be dangerous. David is no walk in the park."

Barrett says he won't be able to resume boxing-related training for the next two months due to his broken jaw, but will continue to do his roadwork and mixed martial arts training to stay in shape.

http://www.boxingscene.com/barrett-vs-tua-trilogy-bout-wrestlemania-xxviii--42699

also Barrett claims he starts in FCW Next month

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Boxer vs Boxer at Mania? Empty Re: Boxer vs Boxer at Mania?

Post by Brady12 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:25 am

I thought exposing your ass every week & asking people to kiss it was bad enough... Is there any lengths Vince won't go to gain a bit of mainstream publicity. What next a no holds bared match between Steve Davis & Dennis Taylor?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

???

Please no. This sounds awful.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

I don't even understand the logic of this? Two professional boxers and they want to 'settle' their rivalry in a wrestling match? That is absurd. That would be like an MMA trilogy being concluded in an Olympic TeaKwondo fight! It makes no sense to have a fight outside of your chosen sport - you don't have the skills or the experience.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

If Vince wants a boxing match at WrestleMania it should be 'Money May', anything else is a waste of time

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

Well if Cena is best pals with Barrett, and Tua is related to the Rock then I suppose it fits in a wwe kinda way. Cena and the Rock can be in their corners before their match later on that night.

Are they well known boxers anyway? I have never heard of them

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

I wouldn't put Rock and Cena in their corners to be honest, maybe help them promote it on RAW but I wouldn't waste them by putting them in each corner, you'd risk over using them IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

I think that is the link the WWE are trying to make and to play up. But Cena and Rock don't need boxers to further their feud...especially not two boxers who are frankly no great shakes.

It should be, and always be, WRESTLEmania. Aside from bring Bart Gunn back to get knocked out again, I'd like to just see wrestling, please.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I wouldn't put Rock and Cena in their corners to be honest, maybe help them promote it on RAW but I wouldn't waste them by putting them in each corner, you'd risk over using them IMO

That is very true but it is the only way I can see promoting it if it happens. I mean the article mentions that both boxers have links to either cena or the rock and they want it at WM so it is a bit of a coincidence. No one will care for it unless Cena and Rock are involved. As I originnally said, who are these guys? They are certainly not going to increase the PPV sales on their own.

That said maybe WWE know nothing and Barrett is trying to get cheap publicity.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Sep 2011, 1:03 pm

The only boxer for me who would merit a legit boxing match has to be Money, he has links with the WWE and more specifically WrestleMania, other than that it'd be a letdown unless David Haye can get a re-match and beat Klitchko by then making him credible

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 15 Sep 2011, 1:06 pm

I would rather the time be used towards a good tag team match at WM because you can bet that there won't be any planned.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

I agree that I'd rather they used the time for a match that would culminate a very interesting storyline

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 15 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

the-gaffer wrote:The only boxer for me who would merit a legit boxing match has to be Money, he has links with the WWE and more specifically WrestleMania, other than that it'd be a letdown unless David Haye can get a re-match and beat Klitchko by then making him credible

I can't imagine WWE stumping up his purse, it would be astronomical! Plus I think he has links to HBO and can only box on their broadcasts.

I agree though, why have two over the hill nobodies take up time on wrestling's night of the year? It would be wasteful in the extreme...again, unless Bart Gunn comes back.

I could see maybe a legit boxing match between two wrestlers working -- but that would be solely for my own voyeurism.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:35 pm

The only boxing match that should take place at Wrestlemania 28 is Rowdy Roddy Piper v Mr T. II

Or else Bart Gunn versus Chuck Norris.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:38 pm

Piper/T II 26 years in the making....WHAAATAMANUVER

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

Well since there were rumours floating around that the Rock v Cena match could well be pulled....just maybe this is what will replace it!! With Cena being represented by Barret & Tua by Dwayne....

Seriously dont put it past WWE!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:25 pm

xTwisTx wrote:Well if Cena is best pals with Barrett, and Tua is related to the Rock then I suppose it fits in a wwe kinda way. Cena and the Rock can be in their corners before their match later on that night.

Tua had a title shot against Lennox Lewis a few years back, and lost heavily on points (Lewis is a head taller with a longer reach). I made a bundle backing Lewis at the NZ TAB on that fight, there was loads of money on Tua the sentimental favourite so the odds on Lewis were quite good. Since that fight Tua's had the usual boxing-style fall from grace - injuries, court cases vs sacked managers, etc.

No idea about Barrett
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
xTwisTx wrote:Well if Cena is best pals with Barrett, and Tua is related to the Rock then I suppose it fits in a wwe kinda way. Cena and the Rock can be in their corners before their match later on that night.

Tua had a title shot against Lennox Lewis a few years back, and lost heavily on points (Lewis is a head taller with a longer reach). I made a bundle backing Lewis at the NZ TAB on that fight, there was loads of money on Tua the sentimental favourite so the odds on Lewis were quite good. Since that fight Tua's had the usual boxing-style fall from grace - injuries, court cases vs sacked managers, etc.

No idea about Barrett

Cheers Kiwi.....I thought Barrett would be easy to find info about as he is a 40 yr old boxer

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

xTwisTx wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

No idea about Barrett

Cheers Kiwi.....I thought Barrett would be easy to find info about as he is a 40 yr old boxer

Probably, but I was too lazy to Google Wink.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

Barrett is a heavyweight of no great repute, and he actually got KO'ed by David Haye in the UK some time back. He has lost to anyone half-decent he has ever fought really.

He won a shock points win over Tua in New Zealand recently...but both of them are some way beyond their best years now.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down